Supplemental Medicare Question

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Meme

Supplemental Medicare Question

Post by Meme » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:00 pm

I have applied for and have been approved for Medicare, coverage will be effective in August. I will have employer coverage through August 16th which will be my last day of work.
My husband will be working until mid-September and he’ll go onto Medicare at that time.
We’re in pretty good health, live in a suburb of NYC and we each take 1 prescription for blood pressure. My husband also has significant cardiac history – we need to keep his current doctors.
We need to buy a supplemental medicare policy. Any recommendations on websites I should look at in order to make an informed decision?
Thanks for your advice.

dm200

Re: Supplemental Medicare Question

Post by dm200 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:09 pm

Meme wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:00 pm
I have applied for and have been approved for Medicare, coverage will be effective in August. I will have employer coverage through August 16th which will be my last day of work.
My husband will be working until mid-September and he’ll go onto Medicare at that time.
We’re in pretty good health, live in a suburb of NYC and we each take 1 prescription for blood pressure. My husband also has significant cardiac history – we need to keep his current doctors.
We need to buy a supplemental medicare policy. Any recommendations on websites I should look at in order to make an informed decision?
Thanks for your advice.
If you have not already done so, I recommend researching Medicare Advantage (MA) plans available in your area. These MA plans are often very different from each other. All MA plans must cover the same conditions as Original Medicare - but sometimes cost less and might offer added health benefits.There may be downsides as well.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:59 pm

Medicare.gov has a good tool for identifying, and selecting from, the plans available in your area. There are many outfits that will help you find a plan, but for the most part these are licensed brokers who will make money from this. Start with the medicare.gov site.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:15 pm

I would highly recommend the book "Medicare for Dummies" despite the title.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:56 pm

There are lots of good youtube videos. Check out the ones from boomerbenefits and medisupps.com
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... r+benefits
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... isupps.com
If you have more specific questions, look into searching for plan g vs plan n or whatever.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:09 pm

Since you live in NY this is going to be fairly easy. You don't have to worry and agonize over the usual - whether it is better to buy Medigap policy as issue age, attained age, or community rated.

NY decreed all Medicare supplement insurance must be sold on a community rating basis with continuous, year-round open enrollment.

In plain English, what this means is that a healthy, 65 year-old going on Medicare for the first time pays exactly the same rate for their supplement as a frail 85-year old with 1 foot in the grave. Really.

The other piece of bad news, and you may already know this if you have looked it up, your state is broken down into diff. regions for Medigap insurance pricing. And, yep, you guessed it, Manhattan and the immediate suburbs has the highest rates of them all :shock: Prepare yourself for some sticker shock, esp. if you are looking at Plan F or G (the most popular)

Good luck. After you check prices, would advise you not to do a similar price lookup for places like, um, Idaho, Iowa, Montana, parts of Texas, and a few others. Might make you want to sell your house and move elsewhere right away :oops:

http://www.wnylc.com/health/entry/35/

Mlm

Post by Mlm » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:26 pm

In New York State check here: https://www.dfs.ny.gov/consumers/health ... lans_rates

Be sure to also check out the Medicare Advantage Plans