Car Dilemma

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
RRJeff
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:18 am

Car Dilemma

Post by RRJeff » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:55 am

Wife and I thought we had this figured out, but turns out we don't. My son will be getting his driver's license in October. I was prepared to buy a new 2019 Accord and give my son the 2007 Accord (150k miles) I have been driving since new. While I was negotiating the purchase of the new Accord, my father-in-law offered to give my son his 1998 Lexus ES300 (110k miles). We accepted his offer and picked up his car a couple of weeks ago. I ended my car search.

DW currently drives a 2014 Subaru Forester XT Touring (59k miles)that we bought new in 2013. This is a fun car to drive, but the ride is a bit bouncy and it is quite noisy. DW also finds the seats uncomfortable for long rides. I should note that DW has some hearing and balance issues after losing hearing in one of her ears a few years ago. The ride and noise in the XT exacerbate her issues and reduce her enjoyment of the vehicle.

So, DW wants to get a new vehicle that rides better and quieter. She has been looking at used Lexus SUVs mostly, but last night test drove a 2015 ES350 which she really liked. Originally, we thought we would trade in her Forester for a Lexus SUV, and I would keep my Accord until the wheels fall off. Herein lies the dilemma we are facing.

I like the idea of having at least one SUV-type vehicle. It is handy for trips to Costco and hauling things. AWD is nice when weather is bad (we're in Texas so rain is our biggest issue). I would likely take over driving her Forester if she decides on a sedan. This would mean more out of pocket to buy the sedan since we would not be selling the Forester (Carmax offered $17k). We would also need to decide whether to keep the 2007 Accord or the 1998 Lexus for my son to drive. Both the Accord and Lexus run well right now. FIL put a lot of money (too much!) into the Lexus to change out all the hoses and belts, repair suspension, in the last few years.

If it was up to me, I would keep driving the cars we have for as long as possible until they are too costly to maintain. However, DW really does have some issues that we need to address. She does not like driving my Accord, so that isn't an option.

What would you do in this situation? Assuming DW gets a sedan, what would you do with the Forester, Accord, and Lexus?

sjt
Posts: 222
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 3:03 pm
Location: NC

Re: Car Dilemma

Post by sjt » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:09 am

From your third paragraph, it sounds like you've already decided on keeping the Forester and the 2015 ES350 - I would agree with that decision.


The choice you are down to is your sons car - 1998 ES300 with 110k miles or 2007 accord with 150k miles. I had a 1998 ES300 and while it was boring, it's a good reliable car. I don't think you would go wrong with either choice. Leave it up to your son since he's going to be driving it, then sell the other one.
"The one who covets is the poorer man, | For he would have that which he never can; | But he who doesn't have and doesn't crave | Is rich, though you may hold him but a knave." - Wife of Bath tale

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 9492
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am

Re: Car Dilemma

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:19 am

Son gets the old Lexus
You drive the Forester
Wife gets the Accord

Otherwise, you're talking spending multiple 10's of thousands of dollars needlessly.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

User avatar
RootSki
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:52 am

Re: Car Dilemma

Post by RootSki » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:22 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:19 am
Son gets the old Lexus
You drive the Forester
Wife gets whatever she wants.

Otherwise, you're talking spending multiple 10's of thousands of dollars needlessly.
Fixed it for you.

hectorochoa
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Car Dilemma

Post by hectorochoa » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:23 am

Why don't you think about doing the following:

DW gets the 2015 ES350.
Son drives 1998 ES300.
You drive Subaru.
You also keep 2007 Accord as a spare car.

bloom2708
Posts: 6367
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Car Dilemma

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:25 am

150k miles is my "time to go" mileage milestone. After that, all bets are off.

Both our teen kids have older ES 330 cars. I bought them cheap with about 70k miles from the original owners. Reliable, safe and a bit slow/bland which is perfect for a crappy teen driver. I added a little bluetooth gadget to both so they could play "hip" music.

If you have the funds, trade in the Accord on the ES 350 for your wife. You drive the Forester. I agree the Forester ride is bumpy. The short wheel base just can't offer a great/smooth ride. Still a good car though. I always make sure my wife has the nicest car. I have the older/practical/SUV for hauling stuff and more people.
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead

User avatar
8foot7
Posts: 1495
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:29 pm

Re: Car Dilemma

Post by 8foot7 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:35 am

RootSki wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:22 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:19 am
Son gets the old Lexus
You drive the Forester
Wife gets whatever she wants. [was the old accord]

Otherwise, you're talking spending multiple 10's of thousands of dollars needlessly.
Fixed it for you.
Snore. A rougher-than-preferred ride on a 6 year old car with less than 60k miles is no reason to spend tens of thousands of additional dollars on a new vehicle. Can the Forester be traded in and the 2015 ES be gotten for roughly the same amount of money? I'd give up the SUV thing in order to not lay out a substantial amount of money for a silly reason.

bubbadog
Posts: 793
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:17 pm

Re: Car Dilemma

Post by bubbadog » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:39 am

hectorochoa wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:23 am
Why don't you think about doing the following:

DW gets the 2015 ES350.
Son drives 1998 ES300.
You drive Subaru.
You also keep 2007 Accord as a spare car.
This seems like a reasonable approach!.

If one of the other cars needs repair, you have a spare.

H-Town
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:08 pm

Re: Car Dilemma

Post by H-Town » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:46 am

hectorochoa wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:23 am
Why don't you think about doing the following:

DW gets the 2015 ES350.
Son drives 1998 ES300.
You drive Subaru.
You also keep 2007 Accord as a spare car.
4 cars in a family of 3.... talking about first world problem. Insurance companies would love to get a call from the OP.


OP: standing pat is the best move financially. There's always an itch to get a new car. Maybe just take time and think it over until the itch is gone?

User avatar
Watty
Posts: 16485
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: Car Dilemma

Post by Watty » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:00 am

RRJeff wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:55 am
I should note that DW has some hearing and balance issues after losing hearing in one of her ears a few years ago. The ride and noise in the XT exacerbate her issues and reduce her enjoyment of the vehicle.

So, DW wants to get a new vehicle that rides better and quieter. She has been looking at used Lexus SUVs mostly, but last night test drove a 2015 ES350 which she really liked.
How much would that ES350 cost?

It could be that a new Camry or Corolla would not cost all that much more and they would come with the new advanced safety features like lane departure warning/correction and automatically applying the brakes if she is about to hit something. If your wifes driving might be impacted by her hearing and balance issues then having the additional safety features might be a good thing for her to have

Topic Author
RRJeff
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:18 am

Re: Car Dilemma

Post by RRJeff » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:41 am

8foot7 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:35 am
RootSki wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:22 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:19 am
Son gets the old Lexus
You drive the Forester
Wife gets whatever she wants. [was the old accord]

Otherwise, you're talking spending multiple 10's of thousands of dollars needlessly.
Fixed it for you.
Snore. A rougher-than-preferred ride on a 6 year old car with less than 60k miles is no reason to spend tens of thousands of additional dollars on a new vehicle. Can the Forester be traded in and the 2015 ES be gotten for roughly the same amount of money? I'd give up the SUV thing in order to not lay out a substantial amount of money for a silly reason.
The ES350 we found has less than 27k miles for $25k. It is the color combination my wife prefers. So, if we traded the Subie, would be ~$9k out of pocket. Which reason do you find to be "silly"? The desire to keep the Subaru, or my wife's hearing and balance issues?

Topic Author
RRJeff
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:18 am

Re: Car Dilemma

Post by RRJeff » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:48 am

H-Town wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:46 am
hectorochoa wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:23 am
Why don't you think about doing the following:

DW gets the 2015 ES350.
Son drives 1998 ES300.
You drive Subaru.
You also keep 2007 Accord as a spare car.
4 cars in a family of 3.... talking about first world problem. Insurance companies would love to get a call from the OP.


OP: standing pat is the best move financially. There's always an itch to get a new car. Maybe just take time and think it over until the itch is gone?
I hope we can hold off for awhile. Some of this is certainly "new car itch", but DW does have some real issues that need to be addressed.

User avatar
8foot7
Posts: 1495
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:29 pm

Re: Car Dilemma

Post by 8foot7 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:49 am

RRJeff wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:41 am
8foot7 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:35 am
RootSki wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:22 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:19 am
Son gets the old Lexus
You drive the Forester
Wife gets whatever she wants. [was the old accord]

Otherwise, you're talking spending multiple 10's of thousands of dollars needlessly.
Fixed it for you.
Snore. A rougher-than-preferred ride on a 6 year old car with less than 60k miles is no reason to spend tens of thousands of additional dollars on a new vehicle. Can the Forester be traded in and the 2015 ES be gotten for roughly the same amount of money? I'd give up the SUV thing in order to not lay out a substantial amount of money for a silly reason.
The ES350 we found has less than 27k miles for $25k. It is the color combination my wife prefers. So, if we traded the Subie, would be ~$9k out of pocket. Which reason do you find to be "silly"? The desire to keep the Subaru, or my wife's hearing and balance issues?
As mentioned I don’t personally find the reasoning that the ride is tougher than she would like to be a sufficient reason to incur a five figure loss in net worth. Perhaps your opinion is different. I would be looking at cheaper ways to solve DW’s car problem. I suspect there is an older ES or even LS that matches up more closely value-wise with the Subaru that has an excellent ride quality. A 2010-2011 Lexus LS is practically silent in cabin and can be had for under $20k.

Topic Author
RRJeff
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:18 am

Re: Car Dilemma

Post by RRJeff » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:11 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:25 am
150k miles is my "time to go" mileage milestone. After that, all bets are off.

Both our teen kids have older ES 330 cars. I bought them cheap with about 70k miles from the original owners. Reliable, safe and a bit slow/bland which is perfect for a crappy teen driver. I added a little bluetooth gadget to both so they could play "hip" music.

If you have the funds, trade in the Accord on the ES 350 for your wife. You drive the Forester. I agree the Forester ride is bumpy. The short wheel base just can't offer a great/smooth ride. Still a good car though. I always make sure my wife has the nicest car. I have the older/practical/SUV for hauling stuff and more people.
Funds are not really an issue. I was already planning to buy a new Accord for around $32k OTD (with no trade) before receiving the Lexus from FIL. I agree the Lexus is a very good car for my son - I think it calms his new driver nerves. It has good visibility and decent power, but not especially quick.

mpnret
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 9:16 am

Re: Car Dilemma

Post by mpnret » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:28 am

Have your wife test drive a new 2019 Forester. They have come a long way since 2014 XT. She will love it. Trade in XT for new Forester. This would have been a lot easier sell before she drove the ES350.

Topic Author
RRJeff
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:18 am

Re: Car Dilemma

Post by RRJeff » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:38 am

8foot7 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:49 am
RRJeff wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:41 am
8foot7 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:35 am
RootSki wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:22 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:19 am
Son gets the old Lexus
You drive the Forester
Wife gets whatever she wants. [was the old accord]

Otherwise, you're talking spending multiple 10's of thousands of dollars needlessly.
Fixed it for you.
Snore. A rougher-than-preferred ride on a 6 year old car with less than 60k miles is no reason to spend tens of thousands of additional dollars on a new vehicle. Can the Forester be traded in and the 2015 ES be gotten for roughly the same amount of money? I'd give up the SUV thing in order to not lay out a substantial amount of money for a silly reason.
The ES350 we found has less than 27k miles for $25k. It is the color combination my wife prefers. So, if we traded the Subie, would be ~$9k out of pocket. Which reason do you find to be "silly"? The desire to keep the Subaru, or my wife's hearing and balance issues?
As mentioned I don’t personally find the reasoning that the ride is tougher than she would like to be a sufficient reason to incur a five figure loss in net worth. Perhaps your opinion is different. I would be looking at cheaper ways to solve DW’s car problem. I suspect there is an older ES or even LS that matches up more closely value-wise with the Subaru that has an excellent ride quality. A 2010-2011 Lexus LS is practically silent in cabin and can be had for under $20k.
OK...I understand your point. From a purely financial standpoint, I agree with you. There are definitely cheaper options out there. This is not a purely financial decision. Happy Wife, Happy Life!

Topic Author
RRJeff
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:18 am

Re: Car Dilemma

Post by RRJeff » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:49 am

mpnret wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:28 am
Have your wife test drive a new 2019 Forester. They have come a long way since 2014 XT. She will love it. Trade in XT for new Forester. This would have been a lot easier sell before she drove the ES350.
I tried to get her interested in an Outback as I really liked the ride in the loaner she brought home one night...she says she doesn't want another Subaru. She's not happy that the "leather" steering wheel in the Forester is peeling, and is worried there are potential future issues with the CVT (even though Subaru extended the warranty to 10yrs or 100k miles). I kind of talked her into the Forester XT when we bought it...I want her next car to be 100% her decision (or at least 95%)! :wink:

flyphotoguy
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 1:57 pm

Re: Car Dilemma

Post by flyphotoguy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:58 am

RootSki wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:22 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:19 am
Son gets the old Lexus
You drive the Forester
Wife gets whatever she wants.

Otherwise, you're talking spending multiple 10's of thousands of dollars needlessly.
Fixed it for you.
I 2nd this... Take care of the health issues first and a Lexus ES or NX/RX SUV would be comfy and possibly great driving experience for your wife. You can keep the accord and get rid of the Forster too if you like. I have a 2007 accord too at 155K mi and the only thing major done to it was a starter change. It still runs well, a couple of years ago we added a rear backup camera + touch screen media unit to it so it has that safety feature. I hope it runs till 200K miles... worth it all the way.
Last edited by flyphotoguy on Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
8foot7
Posts: 1495
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:29 pm

Re: Car Dilemma

Post by 8foot7 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:59 am

RRJeff wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:38 am
8foot7 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:49 am
RRJeff wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:41 am
8foot7 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:35 am
RootSki wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:22 am


Fixed it for you.
Snore. A rougher-than-preferred ride on a 6 year old car with less than 60k miles is no reason to spend tens of thousands of additional dollars on a new vehicle. Can the Forester be traded in and the 2015 ES be gotten for roughly the same amount of money? I'd give up the SUV thing in order to not lay out a substantial amount of money for a silly reason.
The ES350 we found has less than 27k miles for $25k. It is the color combination my wife prefers. So, if we traded the Subie, would be ~$9k out of pocket. Which reason do you find to be "silly"? The desire to keep the Subaru, or my wife's hearing and balance issues?
As mentioned I don’t personally find the reasoning that the ride is tougher than she would like to be a sufficient reason to incur a five figure loss in net worth. Perhaps your opinion is different. I would be looking at cheaper ways to solve DW’s car problem. I suspect there is an older ES or even LS that matches up more closely value-wise with the Subaru that has an excellent ride quality. A 2010-2011 Lexus LS is practically silent in cabin and can be had for under $20k.
OK...I understand your point. From a purely financial standpoint, I agree with you. There are definitely cheaper options out there. This is not a purely financial decision. Happy Wife, Happy Life!
That’s fair. If this isn’t a financial issue then your wife should have the car she prefers. Certainly agree on that.

User avatar
Watty
Posts: 16485
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: Car Dilemma

Post by Watty » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:08 pm

RRJeff wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:11 am
Funds are not really an issue.
You might also look at an ES350 that is a few years newer and has some of the new advanced safety features.

Katietsu
Posts: 2089
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Car Dilemma

Post by Katietsu » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:20 pm

Does the 1998 have at least electronic stability control and ABS brakes? Neither was mandated then but I know luxury vehicles were all getting them around then. There is always a debate here about cost vs safety features. But almost every expert I have read says those two features are game changers for teenage drivers.

Post Reply