Are you a member of nextdoor.com? Any concerns registering your info?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BogleFanGal

Are you a member of nextdoor.com? Any concerns registering your info?

Post by BogleFanGal »

Hi: I'm at my wit's end trying to find reliable tradespeople that will return calls and actually show up for home repairs. Looking at joining NextDoor. Their sign up page says that you must share exact address and a phone that is tied to that address for verification purposes. Did any of you feel uncomfortable registering with your name, actual address, phone, etc? Is the site reputable and fairly well established?

I don't know much about this one and trust the opinions on here way more than just googling or searching reddit.
mervinj7

Re: Are you a member of nextdoor.com? Any concerns registering your info?

Post by mervinj7 »

I use Nextdoor almost weekly. It's useful for hyper-local advice (e.g. gardening tips, vendor recs, safety alerts). For example, I needed an outlet installed for my EV charger. Found many recs on Nextdoor and hired one neighbor (3 blocks down) who happens to be an electrician.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

I'd say that Nextdoor is well-established at this point. I've been registered for a couple of years. At this point, I mostly use it as a source for real-time local news/information.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I am what they consider a "lead" and "founding member" for my neighborhood. Check the site daily. Outside of the normal gripes people share, great way to find contractors or see about crime in the area.

The verification, I think, is actually nice. Somewhat of an attempt to keep it to locals.
kaudrey

Post by kaudrey »

Yes, I am a member. We give out our names, addresses and phone numbers to a zillion websites, this is no different. Plus....anyone can google your address and phone number.
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

In our area, they used what appeared to me to be a dishonest recruiting approach, sending an email purporting to be from a “neighbor.” I’m not aware that anyone knew the so-called neighbor. HOA sent out a mass emailing warning everyone that Nextdoor has no affiliation with the HOA.

IMO just another sleazy social site that exists just to collect and monetize personal information. I’d avoid them.
euroswiss

Post by euroswiss »

I think its highly dependent on your neighborhood. It can be useful or a complete waste of time. I used to belong to it but quit some time ago. Basically all that ever got posted was lost cats and dogs.

That said, I don't think the requirement of address and phone are a big deal.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

runner3081 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:29 pm I am what they consider a "lead" and "founding member" for my neighborhood. Check the site daily. Outside of the normal gripes people share, great way to find contractors or see about crime in the area.

The verification, I think, is actually nice. Somewhat of an attempt to keep it to locals.
This is my experience too.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
AJS

Post by AJS »

I'm with you. I've had good success finding plumbers and other contractors through Next Door. I would recommend signing up.
Admirer of the great John Bogle
Gronnie

Post by Gronnie »

What exactly are you worried will happen even if the info was sold or hacked?
black cat fortunate

Post by black cat fortunate »

Look closely at settings/options, I think you can just post street without house number & can use initials in name.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Here is a tv news clip on the Nextdoor.app and how you need to adjust your privacy settings or criminals could use it to their benefit.
KOCO5 News Clip Oklahoma
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyfkRJQ1aTc
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Nextdoor here is used, in addition to the usual handyman/painter/etc referrals, for urgent news: loose dog, coyote sightings, and other notices which I don’t think there’s another avenue to broadcast.

I find it useful. The vibe is friendly. Sometimes anonymity is overrated.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Point

Post by Point »

I’ve been on it since inception. No issues. But I find that people over share. They post requests for baby sitters with dates and times, house sitters, dog sitters, and party assistance. All of these are possible events that criminals watch for. And when I remind people of this, it falls on deaf ears. Using a megaphone to announce ones absence is not usually a good thing to do.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

Nextdoor in my area is pretty much worthless, I guess because they never reached critical mass and most folks are happy enough with the neighborhood listserve.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

I found it useful for a while, but our local nextdoor is slowly deteriorating into political complaints about the local zoning board (even though we all live in newish developments approved by that same board) as well as close to a dozen lost dog messages a week, complaints about local drivers, and stay at home mothers chastising each other about where proper places to find non-child molesting babysitters are.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I think I’m still a member, but it was all lost dogs and cats and panic about door to door solicitors. I haven’t logged on in a couple of years.
G12

Post by G12 »

I don't visit it daily, but last week alone local law enforcement posted of a multi-car fiery crash with fatality blocking a 4-lane heavily trafficked road just before afternoon heavy traffic ensued, and posted when it had cleared. Also saw a city-wide water disruption with boil advisory first on nextdoor. I find that stuff helpful, along with the contractor posts, suspicious activity, etc.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I joined and promptly left. It was a lot of bickering and passive aggressive comments from people who were afraid to talk to their neighbors in person. And daily lost pets and found pets. It is fertile ground for trolling and I noticed some people were planting seeds.
goodlifer

Post by goodlifer »

I only use my first initial and partial last name. I signed up over a year ago, so maybe you can't do that anymore? It does get bogged down with people saying things that they normally wouldn't say to someone's face, especially over parking concerns, and then I remind everyone that we are all neighbors that can see your name and look up where you live. Things get quiet after that. We also get more and more tradespeople having their friends or spouses "recommending" them instead of actual customers.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Okay, I just logged on to see if it had changed since I last logged on a couple of years ago. There was one guy annoyed because he made a pothole request on the city’s mobile app and they didn’t get right on it, and an argument about what to do about some guy who’s putting out traffic cones to save parking spots.

Nope, nothing new.
kacang

Post by kacang »

I find Nextdoor useful. Last year, we had a spate of car break-ins and the neighbors near the affected households shared their security camera videos with the police, which helped them nab the culprits. Another example, there was a lost elderly person who suffered from dementia, and a timely post on Nextdoor helped reunite him with his family. Also thanks to Nextdoor, we connected with some neighbors with similar interests and we now have regular meetups.

Now if the trolls would just go away.
Topic Author
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

eucalyptus wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:08 pm In our area, they used what appeared to me to be a dishonest recruiting approach, sending an email purporting to be from a “neighbor.” I’m not aware that anyone knew the so-called neighbor. HOA sent out a mass emailing warning everyone that Nextdoor has no affiliation with the HOA.

IMO just another sleazy social site that exists just to collect and monetize personal information. I’d avoid them.
I got a flyer in my mailbox, also saying it was from a "neighbor" on NextDoor, encouraging me to register. No name or address of this person. The nextdoor listing was actually named after a neighborhood about a half mile away from ours. Our HOA never followed up with anything refuting it. I admit that put me off a bit...and made me start thinking about concerns re: posting my name and actual address.
Topic Author
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

Interesting mix of responses and experiences - thanks for everyone's take on this.
krafty81

Post by krafty81 »

Useful. Here in San Diego, the police are overwhelmed and do not typically respond/invetigate car break-ins and any sort of minor crime. I believe that sites like Next-door help us stay aware of petty crimes in our neighborhoods and help us protect our property investment. I think in the future it will come down to residents to protect their property.
boglerdude

Post by boglerdude »

We have two accounts, one for home and another for the area our rental is in. Its great, and better than Yelp or Angies list. Apparently in some rich neighborhoods nothing happens so the posts are mostly lost pets and "I saw a strange man walking around" :happy

edit: VVV good to hear, unclescrooge
Last edited by boglerdude on Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

boglerdude wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:27 am We have two accounts, one for home and another for the area our rental is in. Its great, and better than Yelp or Angies list. Apparently in some rich neighborhoods nothing happens so the posts are mostly lost pets and "I saw a strange man walking around" :happy
Yes, there's a lot of racial profiling in my neighborhood.... But there's also a lot Amazon package theft as well. The nextdoor people are on it, posting videos, pictures of thieves and their cars.
brandy

Post by brandy »

Thanks for this. I haven't signed up yet, though I have received several invites.
I just called a yard man a few blocks away if he's still available--I talked/hired him two months ago, but that was word of mouth.
A new neighbor and his buddies have been driving their big rigs, sometimes loaded, into the neighborhood and parking them overnights or for several days and nights. At least 4: two car transports, and 2 large empty trailers. Sometimes into the cul-de-sac, sometimes on the main street next to my home. For the last week there's been an old 5th wheel parked there. Don't know if it's been abandoned or not.
These are things I'd like discussion about, but still don't really want to join next door...
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

I joined Next Door a few years ago. In my area it is quite useful. I think it showed me a map of residences nearby and I could click on a few and they would send out post cards saying I invited these people to join. Maybe that is why a few people on here got requests from people they didn't know. I only sent to neighbors I knew. One neighbor, on another street, kept being listed as not on the site yet I got a notification from Next Door that a stranger signed up because of me. I checked it out and it seems they live near the person I know. Not sure what went wrong on that one!

They also have a marketplace where you can list things for sale or for free. You can choose your neighborhood only or also add surrounding ones too. Same thing with anything you post asking for referrals, etc. I live in a small city with lots of neighborhoods so this is helpful to widen the audience.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

I used it for a little while when it was new. What made me quit was a few people constantly reporting “suspicious” people and describing them in great detail, and then the war between the people who wanted to feed the deer and the people who wanted to shoot them. I live in the suburbs of a major city (actually a has-been major city) and was turned off by these conversations, so I quit.
prudent

Post by prudent »

I've been on it for over a year. For sure there are lots of lost pet posts, but it opened up a world of resources I didn't know about - people in my neighborhood who do side jobs like landscaping, tree trimming, electrical, etc. at good prices. It only took a few months to see which names were universally praised and which had uneven "reviews", which people had friends shilling for them and which didn't. Of course you have to be selective and match the job to the person but we've had a few occasions where we found someone to address an issue and didn't have to call the $$$ company with the fleet of trucks, TV ads and billboards all over town. Example - clogged garage floor drain snaked out $25.

I have heard a lot of areas have problems with chronic complainers and paranoid "I saw a car driving slowly" posts, but for whatever reason our area doesn't have that.
fposte

Post by fposte »

Ours is a ton of lost pets and rending of garments over this that and t'other, but as other people have said, it's also super helpful for getting recommendations on people to do all kinds of work. Take the recs with the usual grain of salt, but it's a way to find names of people who don't necessarily put bucks into advertising but rely on word of mouth. Disrecommendations are also very useful.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Last edited by White Coat Investor on Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Swarm Trap

Post by Swarm Trap »

My wife is an active neighborhood watch participant and she is responsible for reviewing all post on Nextdoor, related to neighbor crime and bringing a summary to the meetings. This is a necessity in our current neighborhood because a large population of our neighbors are not able or willing to join Nextdoor. For that application, it is helpful. We had a few things stolen from our property, and we had more luck spreading the word on Nextdoor than we did reporting it to the local authorities. We also like supporting local businesses when we can and there are plenty of opportunities for that on Nextdoor.

The cons: There are always a few people bickering or complaining about something. Also things get political at times, and I can do without that.

I would imagine that the usefulness of the app, is dependent upon its full adoption in your neighborhood, and the caliber of the neighbors that you have. For now, we are users.
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

White Coat Investor wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:12 pm
I love that people think their phone number and address is private. That's so cute. :)
I love that you think a legitimate expectation of privacy is worth mocking. Your attitude is not only cute, it’s what’s brought us to the point where we just meekly accept that, among many, many other more important things, Google can show photos of our homes and yards.
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc »

No concerns but it looks like a place for those who don't want to take on the simplest tasks. Everyone wants to hire someone. And the lost pets is amazing when you live in a leash law area. Not many BH savers there.
researcher

Post by researcher »

eucalyptus wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:49 pm
White Coat Investor wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:12 pm I love that people think their phone number and address is private. That's so cute. :)
I love that you think a legitimate expectation of privacy is worth mocking.
Did you feel the same way in the olden days when copies of the phone book/white pages were distributed to every household in the area?

How is that any different than going to Whitepages.com?
MoeMoney

Post by MoeMoney »

I use the app and don't have concerns about the info I used. How would they know if you put in your neighbor's address? They wouldn't yet the news of that area would still be relevant to you. The phone number issue is easily overcome via Google Voice.

I would not assume for one moment that the folks on Nextdoor are vetted in any way. Always use proper checks for contractors, etc.
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

researcher wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:40 pm
eucalyptus wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:49 pm
White Coat Investor wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:12 pm I love that people think their phone number and address is private. That's so cute. :)
I love that you think a legitimate expectation of privacy is worth mocking.
Did you feel the same way in the olden days when copies of the phone book/white pages were distributed to every household in the area?

How is that any different than going to Whitepages.com?

My example was Google’s publication of photos of, for example, the front of my home (from the street) and of my entire property (presumably satellite photos). My point is that we have simply surrendered to one small segment of society fundamental decisions about what should and shouldn’t be private - and mocking someone for not being current on the extent of that segment’s destruction of privacy is not IMO helpful. If you prefer, you can read “destruction of” as “reinterpretation of.”
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

I'm on it, but the Signal-to-Noise ratio is extremely low, I'm afraid. Lower even than other social media.... People are starting to make fun of it by posting things like "attention neighbors, the sun rose this morning" because something along those lines seems to be what an average post looks like. :D
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

I just received a letter in the mail from a socially prominent neighbor asking me to join. It looked like it was sponsored by Nextdoor as it was on their letterhead.

Today, the neighbor sent out a blast saying Nextdoor sent the letter without his approval ! He said he was going to take legal action. Another neighbor posted and said read the fine print that you agreed to at sign up. It allows them to use your info!
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Last edited by White Coat Investor on Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

Respectfully, I think you should be able to expect it. As you know, the EU has taken baby steps in the direction of privacy.

In the meantime, I suppose you request privacy where you can, use TOR/a VPN, be aware of fingerprinting, use throwaway email addresses ... silly and for all I know utterly ineffective as there are so many overlapping ways to collect information. For a layman, it’s quite discouraging.
shell921

Post by shell921 »

I love Nextdoor and have shared info and gotten good referrals from joining.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

I'm on it and like it for local info. I think the registration is nothing more than you can find in any public search...you don't have to use your street address. I've helped people on it and they've helped me.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

There is a Nextdoor for my neighborhood, but we live in this neighborhood and same house for 32 years and lived here just fine, always being friendly and helpful, so why complicate things. Plus, why should I care what someone 5 houses down the road thinks. And then we even do not have smart phones, only simple cell phones, so no App for us, but I see I could also join on a PC.
Last edited by likegarden on Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Ours is pretty much worthless. Lost small dogs... and coyote reports.
MoeMoney

Post by MoeMoney »

likegarden wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:38 pm Nazis and Communists in Germany had neighborhoods

:confused
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

barnaclebob wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:09 pm Ours is pretty much worthless. Lost small dogs... and coyote reports.
Well... when I found a lost small dog wandering around our neighborhood when it was 20F outside, it was quickly reunited with the owner when I posted a picture on Nextdoor. So, it turns out it wasn’t worthless for this dog, its owner... and actually it was easier than me having to wait for animal control come by to pick up the pooch.

It’s also pretty easy to identify and ignore the lost pet threads in the daily email digests, so even though I don’t have any pet to get lost, the threads don’t bother me any more than threads here on BH about topics I have no interest in.

Our city is occasionally distributing neighborhood-specific info via Nextdoor as one of the channels.
boglerdude

Post by boglerdude »

Some think its only an app. I find apps harder to use compared to a website, so I just click the topics that interest me in the daily digest emails
MoeMoney wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:46 pm:confused
Godwins law. "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of comparison to Nazis approaches 1" :happy