Which shaving cream / oil?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Which shaving cream / oil?

Post by ThankYouJack »

I had a recent post on razors and now I'm looking to compare shaving cream / oil side by side? Would like to go with something medium to higher end - not looking to just use soap :) Any recommendations?
arcticpineapplecorp.

Re: Which shaving cream / oil?

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

i use barbasol sensitive skin. cheap. no problems.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
PoultryMan

Post by PoultryMan »

Truffit and hill or at the very least psoraso.

Use a brush with a damp end. You’ll never go back to foam or gels.
obafgkm

Post by obafgkm »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:36 pm i use barbasol sensitive skin. cheap. no problems.
As do I.
"I'm investing in stocks... chicken, beef, and vegetable. It's risky, but I know one day it'll pay off & I'll be a bouillonaire. Who knows, I might even open up a Broth IRA."
bovineplane

Post by bovineplane »

Proraso. I prefer red or green tube. I use Crew shave oil but truthfully, olive oil is cheaper and works just as well. Could always add your own scent if you don't like natural olive oil. Proraso aftershave. I haven't found much need for an expensive brush, they are softer but don't seem to make better lather.

Astra premium blades and whichever handle you prefer. Other good blades - feathers, Gillette blue, derby, many others. Astra is my daily choice.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:36 pm i use barbasol sensitive skin. cheap. no problems.
same here; but they just re-did their packaging. The can is slightly narrower and shorter but they added a large plastic cap to make it appear the same size. The contents were reduced from 7 oz to 4 oz or something like that.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
wjo

Post by wjo »

At the recommendation of a shaving guru, I started using La Lavande soap - Savons a l'Ancienne palm or olive - as the cream of choice - either directly or with a brush. The medium size Marseille cubes are a good size for the shower. Great lather, lasts a long time. Easily the equal of the shave soaps from the London high street shops.
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

Norelco.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

Use a little oil on wet skin and rub it in well. Then a cheap foam like Barbasol works great.
Sourc3

Post by Sourc3 »

I also use Poraso and after using both the green and red, I prefer the green as it soothes more. I buy the round container and use the cap as a quick way to make foam with the $20 brush that I've been using for years. Best shave ever (compared with Harry's razors).
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

No to all shaving foams (light and useless, often called shaving cream, standard Barbasol, Gillette etc.).
Yes to all shaving gels (dense and slippery, sometimes called shaving cream, Barbasol gel, Cremo, Trader Joe's Mango, many Nivea products).

Strong yes to any shaving products without a strong perfume smell. I just want a shave, not a reminder that I shaved for several hours afterward. My breakfast and mid-morning coffee should not taste like insect repellent.
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

I really like Somerset shave oil. I originally picked it up for travel but then switched to it full-time.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Pacific
Herban cowboy
Unicorn1

Post by Unicorn1 »

Cremo
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

ThankYouJack wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:10 pm I had a recent post on razors and now I'm looking to compare shaving cream / oil side by side? Would like to go with something medium to higher end - not looking to just use soap :) Any recommendations?
I use whatever shaving cream is cheapest.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

Cremo as well
Lindyhopper

Post by Lindyhopper »

I switched from foam shaving cream to shaving oil, and then to Cremo (which is very inexpensive at Walmart based on cost/use).

There was nothing wrong with oil, except that in a low light environment (like a hotel) with a white shaving cream it is easy to tell where you have done and have not done; I was missing places using oil.

I do think that with Cremo that it is a little "closer" and that the blade lasts a little longer than oil. But oil leaves the skin moisturized.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

High End: L'Occitane Cade Shaving Cream and the Cade shaving balm. Guaranteed to take your shaving experience to a whole new level.

https://usa.loccitane.com/cade-shaving- ... tm#s=29434

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Thanks all. I think I'll pick up some Cremo, Barbasol and also try advocado oil. Once I narrow down if I prefer cream, gel, foam or oil, I'll then compare different brands.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I always use Edge Shaving Gel for Sensitive Skin.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

I switched from canned cream to canned gel, to cream in a tub, to soap, and I'm sticking with soap. My favorite is Panna Crema, a tallow-based soap from Italy that is sadly no longer made.
CABob

Post by CABob »

I have used Gillette Fusion gel for some time and am generally satisfied with it. I have tried a number of creams which are OK but I think they tend to clog the razor. As far as oils, I have used baby oil (or mineral oil) with some satisfaction and the skin feels good afterward.
Bob
open_circuit

Post by open_circuit »

Cremo to shave, and some Proraso pre/post shave crème.
funktor

Post by funktor »

I use arko shaving soap sticks, i bought a 4 pack for around $4 many years ago and I have still not used them all up.. granted I have had a beard for a couple of those years, but creating my own lather saved a lot of money when i was shaving regularly
It's easy to believe in something when you win all the time. The losses are what define a man's faith
dm200

Post by dm200 »

I have a light beard. I just shave each morning in the shower using regular soap.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

I use Proraso Sensitive tub and also Proraso Sensitive tube shave cream.
I use either one with a badger brush.
The brush really helps to work in lather.
On occasion, I use Aveeno shave gel out of the can, which is very good also.
Any of these will do a very good job.
Very satisfied with any of the above.
oldlongbeard

Post by oldlongbeard »

dm200 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:34 am I have a light beard. I just shave each morning in the shower using regular soap.
+1, using pink disposable Bic razors marketed to ladies.
PVW

Post by PVW »

I've used tube shave cream for years. Before that, it was aerosol gel. I had used Neutrogena Sensitive Skin. Which I liked - light and smooth, easy to rinse, but my local big box store quit carrying it. I bought Every Man Jack Sensitive Skin from big box and this was the equivalent of shaving with silicone caulk - very thick and pasty, difficult to rinse. Used twice and discarded. Now I'm using Cremo Unscented, which is a great improvement over Every Man Jack, but not quite as good as Neutrogena.
wilked

Post by wilked »

Its a bit more expensive, but if you value your skin you’ll use Acqua Di Parma

https://www.groominglounge.com/acqua-di ... -creamhtml
dunkmachine

Post by dunkmachine »

Cream: Nancy Boy

Soap: Stirling Soap Company. It's fun to try the different scents.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

jebmke wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:54 pm
same here; but they just re-did their packaging. The can is slightly narrower and shorter but they added a large plastic cap to make it appear the same size. The contents were reduced from 7 oz to 4 oz or something like that.
I believe they call that "shrinkflation"

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... mNoYkvHtGI
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
srt7

Post by srt7 »

I don't recognize any of these names and I am surprised that so many options exist. I thought everyone used a variant of Gillette? :P
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

ThankYouJack wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:10 pm I had a recent post on razors and now I'm looking to compare shaving cream / oil side by side? Would like to go with something medium to higher end - not looking to just use soap :) Any recommendations?
If you are using real shaving soap, it's actually better than cream, cream is not superior. Palmolive Soap Stick from europe, $1, better than cream, and lasts forever.
davebo

Post by davebo »

I use some kind of gel, I don't pay a ton of attention. I think I could shave my face dry and it wouldn't irritate it.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

nalor511 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:17 pm
If you are using real shaving soap, it's actually better than cream, cream is not superior. Palmolive Soap Stick from europe, $1, better than cream, and lasts forever.
Ok, I'll pick some up to try out too. Now I'll have cream, gel, oil, soap and foam to compare. At least it's all pretty cheap
Super Hans

Post by Super Hans »

Are you Proraso fans finding the product in the States? I load up when in Italy, where it’s cheap, but I never see it in the USA. Obviously anything is available online, but for a price. I check out shaving supplies wherever I go. My favorite shave soap so far is Barbus from Slovakia. I don’t know if it’s readily available outside Central Europe. I like L’Occitane balm, and also La Toja aftershave from Spain. When I feel like a liquid splash instead, some Czech ones like Alpa Windsor are nice. Various Russian blades are excellent, like Ladas and Sputnik.
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

I use safflower oil. I prepare my beard by placing a hot towel over it for a couple minutes. It works like a charm on a heavy beard and I can also use the safflower for dry skin. As an added benefit it is dirt cheap .
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Super Hans wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:34 pm Are you Proraso fans finding the product in the States?
I have no problem finding it on Amazon for $8 to $10 a tube. Is it that much cheaper in Europe?

JT
camper

Post by camper »

Dr. Carver's shave butter
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

Edge gel with the orange cap is as fancy as I get.
ClassySDLivin

Post by ClassySDLivin »

This one is a largely dependent on personal preference. For me, I avoid oils and shaving creams (out of a can) and stick with shave sticks and soaps and creams out of a tube - all are essentially soap, but the shave stick can be applied directly to the face and then lathered (as can the creams but they are better lathered first). Soaps last a long time - many times more use than the average can of shaving cream. I like Speik shave sticks (it has a light floral, earthy scent); for soaps (which I lather with a brush) - I recommend Mitchell's Wool Fat (almost scentless but very rich), Proraso green (it has a refreshing sensation - I think with eucalyptus) and creams (out of a tube): Erasmic (light woodsy smell, excellent lubricant), Ingram (menthol) and Musgo Real (slight vanilla and musk).
squirm

Post by squirm »

bar soap works for me. surprised I'm the only one here.
3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR »

I use Proraso shave cream and love it. I’m currently on a long road trip and I’m using a “Berber Tiras Sabuno” stick I received as a free gift from shave nation and it works really well even without a brush. I’ve found shave soap in general way cheaper to use than the crap from a can and using a brush to lather gives a much better shave overall. I’m baffled by men who buy even cheap shaving cream in a can and somehow think they are saving money. A jar of Proraso or a bar of shaving soap will last well over a year for me.
Last edited by 3504PIR on Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LittleGreenSoldiers

Post by LittleGreenSoldiers »

Another vote for Cremo. I've been using it for a few years now.
After reading this tread last night I tried a little olive oil under the Cremo today.
Tha's a tip I had not heard of before. I'm pretty impressed after one shave.
DoTheMath

Post by DoTheMath »

I use Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel from Target. Easy to use and works well. Best of all, it is unscented.
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir
3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters »

The biggest impact on shaving quality is heat and humidity. That’s why the old time barbers put a hot, wet towel on your face to prepare your skin. If you shave right after a hot shower (or in the shower or hot bath when your skin is moist and plump), you don’t even need shaving cream. You will get a smooth and cut/burn-free shave. Even your choice of razor is less important than this one factor.

I try to shave right after a shower, while the bathroom is still steamy. I don’t open the door or turn on a fan until I’m done. If that’s not an option, I use a hot towel but it’s not as good (maybe I’m not patient). I use a generic store brand shave foam (like barbasol but cheaper) and disposable blades I find on sale. The reason I prefer disposables is because I hate getting locked into a particular razor model/brand and having to buy specific blades. Some blades shave a little closer than others but they all do a fine job. I often find BIC one blade disposables and Gillette 2 blade disposables cheap.

Not all blades in a package are the same quality (true even for boutique multi-blades). When I find a good one, it lasts for months. The bad ones a week or a little more but they are not as good from the first shave (although all are acceptable if the skin is hot and moist enough). I don’t know if disposables are worse for the environment (probably) but I’m generally pretty environmentally conscious in most aspects of my life so I hope I make up for it.
Super Hans

Post by Super Hans »

bottlecap wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:40 pm
Super Hans wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:34 pm Are you Proraso fans finding the product in the States?
I have no problem finding it on Amazon for $8 to $10 a tube. Is it that much cheaper in Europe?

JT
I’ll concede my ridiculousness. It’s five times more expensive on AMZN than at a grocery store in Rome, but especially for a soap that seems to last forever, it’s probably not going to delay my retirement. On the other hand, going to Rome all the time...
JTColton

Post by JTColton »

Proraso Green across the board for cream/soap and after-shave.

I don't use oil but the Proraso Green Pre/Post in the small jar.

Astra Super Plat blades.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

I also use Cremo. It's effective, cheap, and a 6 oz. tube lasts a long time.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Discussing shaving, I am reminded that my maternal grandfather - until into his nineties - shaved with a straight razor. It was fascinating watching him. He would use some kind of strap to make the razor "sharper", use a brush to make the lather in a container and use a small mirror in shaving.

Once he was no longer able to shave himself, the family bought an electric shaver to assist him or do the shaving.