Toyota Sienna tire replacement at 12k miles

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
GuyFromGeorgia

Toyota Sienna tire replacement at 12k miles

Post by GuyFromGeorgia » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:20 am

Hi everyone,
Are there any Toyota Sienna owners that have had sub-optimal results with the factory run-flat tires? My wife's went to the Toyota dealership recently for an oil change and they said she needs new tires, as hers have worn thin. She only has 12,xxx miles on the car that we bought brand new. A google search indicates there was a class-action lawsuit a decade ago, and lots of negative reviews about the tires. As the AWD version doesn't have a spare tire, run-flat tires are pretty much required for a wife with 3 small kids. We paid the $1200 for the oil change, tires, and alignment. It just infuriates me that Toyota won't stand behind these tires.

***Update - I consider this issue resolved. I found a brochure in the glove box with the owners manual that states these tires could get as little as 15-20k miles, or up to 40k. I'm definitely on the short side of that, but at least I have some additional understanding of the issue.
Last edited by GuyFromGeorgia on Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dm200

Re: Toyota Sienna tire replacement at 12k miles

Post by dm200 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:24 am

GuyFromGeorgia wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:20 am
Hi everyone,
Are there any Toyota Sienna owners that have had sub-optimal results with the factory run-flat tires? My wife's went to the Toyota dealership recently for an oil change and they said she needs new tires, as hers have worn thin. She only has 12,xxx miles on the car that we bought brand new. A google search indicates there was a class-action lawsuit a decade ago, and lots of negative reviews about the tires. As the AWD version doesn't have a spare tire, run-flat tires are pretty much required for a wife with 3 small kids. We paid the $1200 for the oil change, tires, and alignment. It just infuriates me that Toyota won't stand behind these tires.
I don't think any auto companies 'stand behind' tires - they leave that to the tire manufacturer. Seems odd, but who knows?

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:24 am

From Toyota's website ---

Whom can I contact regarding the tire warranty on my Toyota vehicle?

The tires that come as original equipment on your vehicle are warranted by their manufacturer and not Toyota. The tire warranty information is located in the glove box of the vehicle.

To obtain service for tire concerns, take the tire to an authorized dealership of the tire manufacturer. Some Toyota dealerships sell tires.

For additional warranty information or service assistance, contact the tire manufacturer directly:

List of tire manufactures follows - see link below.

http://toyota.custhelp.com/app/answers/ ... vehicle%3F
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:34 am

GuyFromGeorgia wrote:
Hi everyone,
It’s too late now (you don’t have the tires anymore), but I never get tires from the dealership because pretty much every time I have had my car in for service they say I need new ones. All passenger tires have some tread wear guarantee but as dm200 said it’s a guarantee from the tire manufacturer, not the car manufacturer. If the tires wore down to the wear indicators at 12,000 miles, you should’ve been able to get some compensation from the tire manufacturer but like 7eight9 said that would be done at a store that sells those tires, not at the dealership. A cynic would suspect your wife got taken advantage of.

Afty

Post by Afty » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:46 am

I would first verify their claim by using a tire tread depth gauge. If the tires really are at an unsafe tread depth, then I would buy new tires at a tire shop (or Costco) and not the dealer.

You could also use the "penny test" to check tread depth.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:48 am

GuyFromGeorgia wrote:
As the AWD version doesn't have a spare tire, run-flat tires are pretty much required for a wife with 3 small kids.
You can also purchase regular tires and use the fix a flat can. That's what Toyota puts in my Prius instead of a spare or run flat tires. The pros being regular tires don't wear as quickly and are lot easier and less expensive to replace. The con being you will have to stop and repair a flat versus a run flats.

For DW, inevitably what happens if she had a flat tire, run flat otherwise, is she'll get a TPMS warning in her car. She will pull over and call me or roadside assistance. This takes away most of the advantage of run flats.

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:52 am

Read your treadwear grade on the tires' sidewall to get an idea how long them last. Also keep the tires inflated as per the recommendations inside the driver's door.
Tire Rack has excellent information on what to buy, etc.

ReformedSpender

Post by ReformedSpender » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:56 am

Well, chances are high you just replaced your sub-optimal tires with the exact same sub-optimal tires and you were charged a 'dealer premium'

:oops:
Market history shows that when there's economic blue sky, future returns are low, and when the economy is on the skids, future returns are high. The best fishing is done in the most stormy waters.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:59 am

Not sure, but short life may be true of run-flats in general. On my cars (not Toyotas), the run-flat tires definitely wear much faster and need air added more regularly than regular tires. Not a fan.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:02 pm

It’s too late now (you don’t have the tires anymore), but I never get tires from the dealership because pretty much every time I have had my car in for service they say I need new ones.
I'm fine with dealers recommending new tires, but no way I'm buying from a dealer -- their markup is huge. For any common car (such as the OP's), I'm getting new tires from Costco. Free balance and rotation for life of tire. If a Costco is not nearby, then a major tire place like America's Tire/Discount Tire, which also offer balance/rotation.

Topic Author
GuyFromGeorgia

Post by GuyFromGeorgia » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:06 pm

OP here, Thanks for the feedback. I asked about the warranty and was informed that the tire manufacturer for the originals didn't offer any type of pro rate coverage. So then I asked if Toyota could do something and again got a no. These new tires do come with a warranty and are a different make from the originals.

As for the can of fix-a-flat with standard tires, yes, I've read about that. That would be a workable solution for me, but I don't want to take any chances with my wife. I did look at other places, but there seem to be very little options for run-flat tires at 3rd party sites (including Costco). And surprisingly enough, where I did find them, they were $10/tire more than the dealership.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:07 pm

GuyFromGeorgia wrote:
Are there any Toyota Sienna owners that have had sub-optimal results with the factory run-flat tires?
I just took my 17 AWD Sienna in for an oil change last week with 30k miles. According to the report they gave me, tire tread is around 4/32. My gauge at home shows more around 5/32. Recommended is changing below 3/32 so I still have a way to go.

Did they say if alignment was out? That can cause abnormal fast wear. On a different car years ago, I had a shop install new tires and do an alignment and after 5000 miles, one tire was almost completely bald. They gave me a new tire and did another alignment free of charge. I'm guessing someone screwed up on the first alignment.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:09 pm

Install the Uber or Lyft apps on your phones. Link to a payment method.

Now, if your wife does get a flat tire (it happens). Open Uber. Type destination. Take ride. Lock car and you go deal with it when time permits. :wink:

We recently got 36k miles on the original tires for my wife's car. Not great, but they were down close to the wear bars. It is a plug-in electric/hybrid with no spare tire.

12k seems not good. Run flats might not even have a mileage target. Mostly in-town driving can be hard on tires. Lots of turns. Have they been rotated? Is the front set shot and rears are 1/2 tread?

I would probably contact the tire manufacturer and give them the details.

We have long winters, so I have been putting Toyo Celsius (year round 60k mile tires with winter characteristics) on all our cars. Not Blizzaks but no fiddling with swapping tires.

Find a local tire shop. Costco is fine. I go to Dave's Tire Service. Dave is at the front counter. Dave sells tires at a reasonable price. I like talking to Dave face to face about tires. Most areas have a place or places like that.

Good luck!
Last edited by bloom2708 on Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead

Presintense

Post by Presintense » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:15 pm

GuyFromGeorgia wrote:
Hi everyone,
Sorry to hear about your experience. I think you might have a best chance for success (if there is a chance) by contacting the tire manufacturer directly. I think you would also have the best chance for (a) a reasonable price for your new tires as well as (b) better treatment if you encounter future issues by going to discount tire, etc. to get the new tires.
Performance = Potential - Distraction

onourway

Post by onourway » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:16 pm

We had a Prius where the factory tires were nearly done after 25k - and half of that was spent on winter tires! It was a lease though and they didn’t say anything when I turned it in so...

As noted, alignment issues can wear tires out very quickly - hundreds of miles - or less if it’s really bad - and it’s certainly possible you hit something to drive it out of alignment. That said, such wear would typically be limited to a single tire.

Without access to the tires, I think you are SOL although I would raise hell with the owner for telling you the tires had no warranty! :oops:

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:19 pm

You don't need run flats. And don't use fix a flat unless you want a mess inside your tire and on your rims.

I would get a AAA membership and/or use Uber. Cars stop running for all sorts of reasons that run flats won't help with.

JT

researcher

Post by researcher » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:54 pm

GuyFromGeorgia wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:06 pm
We paid the $1200 for the oil change, tires, and alignment.

I asked about the warranty and was informed that the tire manufacturer for the originals didn't offer any type of pro rate coverage.

I did look at other places, but there seem to be very little options for run-flat tires at 3rd party sites (including Costco). And surprisingly enough, where I did find them, they were $10/tire more than the dealership.
It appears you treated what the service people told you as fact, which likely led to you getting ripped off.

Some questions for you...
- There is a warranty pamphlet from the tire manufacturer in your glove box. Did you read it? What does it say about the warranty?
- You should have checked tread depth with a $1 tool from any auto parts store. How much tread life remained on the factory tires?
- Did you check on your tire options and pricing before letting the dealer do the work?

You likely didn't need to replace the tires to begin with, but you will never know, since you didn't check the tread depth.

It also appears you overpaid. You can get a set from Tire Rack delivered and installed for $940 (at least in my area).

Quirkz

Post by Quirkz » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:29 pm

bottlecap wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:19 pm
You don't need run flats. And don't use fix a flat unless you want a mess inside your tire and on your rims.

I would get a AAA membership and/or use Uber. Cars stop running for all sorts of reasons that run flats won't help with.
Yeah, any sort of Roadside Assistance (AAA, insurance, etc.) is more important in my book than problem-specific remedies.

Ged

Post by Ged » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:32 pm

HomeStretch wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:59 am
Not sure, but short life may be true of run-flats in general. On my cars (not Toyotas), the run-flat tires definitely wear much faster and need air added more regularly than regular tires. Not a fan.
The last time I purchased a car I was considering BMW. Ultimately I decided against it because of the run flat tires and the fact that the suspension is tuned for the stiffer sidewall these tires have which makes it impractical to use regular tires on these cars.

crazygrow

Post by crazygrow » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:33 pm

Do a google for this. Sienna's are known to be awful with tires - especially with wearing out their front tires. And the run flat ones are super fast to go. Lots of theories as to why this is. But be prepared - will happen with any tire that you put on there that they will wear much faster than usual.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:46 pm

Afty wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:46 am
I would first verify their claim by using a tire tread depth gauge. If the tires really are at an unsafe tread depth, then I would buy new tires at a tire shop (or Costco) and not the dealer.
You could also use the "penny test" to check tread depth.
Yes - so would I.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:48 pm

GuyFromGeorgia wrote:
Hi everyone,
Wow :confused :dollar :confused

RobLyons

Post by RobLyons » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:53 pm

I recently had a tire issue that I was able to contact the tire manufacturer and they offered a discount on new tires. I had this done at the dealership, and the rep applied the discount after talking to the tire manufacturer. Worth a shot.

Also, we had to replace our Sienna tires early. We were under 30k and they said this is a common occurrence due to a number of factors (vehicle weight, tight turning radius, vehicle design etc). I replaced those with a set of tires from a local shop that guaranteed them for 50k.
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"

Chip

Post by Chip » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:57 pm

Does the Sienna have a place to store a spare tire if you bought one?

I bought a car with no spare. It came with a can of Fix-a-Flat and a little compressor. I bought a factory kit consisting of a doughnut spare, jack, etc. for $250. While it's very unlikely to happen, I don't want to get stranded with a flat tire that the tire goo wouldn't be able to fix.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:57 pm

"Type" of tire has a lot to do with mileage received. On a previous small car, it came with "High Performance" tires. The original tires did not last a long time. I learned that "high performance" tires cost twice as much as "normal" tires and last half as long. Lose - lose (;

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:59 pm

Chip wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:57 pm
I bought a car with no spare. It came with a can of Fix-a-Flat and a little compressor. I bought a factory kit consisting of a doughnut spare, jack, etc. for $250. While it's very unlikely to happen, I don't want to get stranded with a flat tire that the tire goo wouldn't be able to fix.
Can you, for such cars, buy a "donut" spare? Or would you need to buy a regular wheel and tire as a spare? I know either choice would be inconvenient to carry.

MI_bogle

Post by MI_bogle » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:01 pm

dm200 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:48 pm
GuyFromGeorgia wrote:
Hi everyone,
That's a chunk of change but not in "we got completely gouged" territory

50 for an oil change, 75 for an alignment ballpark is 125 for the maintenance items. On Tire Rack the OEM tires for the AWD Sienna are 1036 for a set of 4. So you're pretty much at 1200 there without any stealership activities

So actually it seems pretty reasonable, all things considered. Assuming the OP got the OEM or similar run flat tires

OP, don't buy the run flats. Per mile they are crazy expensive. You could come out way ahead by buying regular tires, and keeping a can of fix a flat (although that might mess up TPMS sensors) and/or roadside coverage via your insurance, CC, or AAA. Or you could buy a cheapo rim and tire and throw your spare tire in the back

Do NOT buy a donut spare. Mismatched wheel size and AWD do not play nicely together

researcher

Post by researcher » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:13 pm

MI_bogle wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:01 pm
50 for an oil change, 75 for an alignment ballpark is 125 for the maintenance items. On Tire Rack the OEM tires for the AWD Sienna are 1036 for a set of 4. So you're pretty much at 1200 there without any stealership activities
The OP stated in a follow-up post that the replacement tires were not the same OEM tire that came with the car.

Tire Rack has a set of run-flats for his van at $840 for a set.

Topic Author
GuyFromGeorgia

Post by GuyFromGeorgia » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:20 pm

researcher wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:13 pm
MI_bogle wrote:
The OP stated in a follow-up post that the replacement tires were not the same OEM tire that came with the car.

Tire Rack has a set of run-flats for his van at $840 for a set.
OP again. Yes and yes. I searched a couple sites but not tire rack. I could have save a few bucks had I done so. $996 installed versus $900 from tire rack at my location.

I do have things for roadside, but again, wife with 3 small kids. Don't want to call Uber and move 3 car seats unless we have to. And she was the one handling it and rather than pinch pennies, I said to do what she thought best. Crazy expensive, yes. But my whole point in the thread was that I only got 12k miles. 30k and I'd be fine, but I got less than half that.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:20 pm

OK - this question about run flat tires.

If/when one has a "flat", shouldn't it be replaced/fixed as soon as possible? if you are just driving a few miles per day locally, then that should not be a big problem.

BUT if you are on a long trip - then wouldn't that likely be a problem??

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:20 pm

GuyFromGeorgia wrote:
Hi everyone,
I think you are mistaken.
1. Toyota chooses tire providers based on where the vehicle will be driven, and they don't manufacture tires. It is unfair to expect them to stand behind something they didn't manufacture. You can say they can choose better tires, but this is an economical brand that competes with other similar brands, and they will save money when they can, if it doesn't affect vehicle's health/longevity.
2. The dealership told your wife you needed new tires, and you replaced them after taking them for their word. I am not saying there aren't honest service dept. in dealerships, but they are exception in my experience, not the norm. I usually don't do anything other than oil change through dealerships, and for big ticket items either get a second opinion, or find a smaller independent mechanic.
3. OEM tires are usually bad, though not always. Case in point our CRV had to get new set of tires in ~10K. I was mad, but considering overall price I paid for the vehicle, and that this is a maintenance item, I was OK after a while.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:29 pm

Chip wrote:

Good point. My car has run flats and does not come standard with a spare. I made sure to purchase a spare. Don’t want to be stuck with a flat in a rural area on a family vacation searching for the nearest dealer/shops who has run-flats in stock.

researcher

Post by researcher » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:42 pm

GuyFromGeorgia wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:20 pm
But my whole point in the thread was that I only got 12k miles. 30k and I'd be fine, but I got less than half that.
That is the price you pay for buying an AWD van that requires run-flat tires.

What did you expect from an OEM tires that comes with ZERO tread life warranty?

https://www.autotrader.com/car-tips/why ... -it-226433

Slapshot

Post by Slapshot » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:51 pm

I had a 2007 Sienna with the run flats. Got a flat once coming home from a 3 hour trip. Stopped every 50 miles to refill the tire and got home. Bought a new set for $1200. That's the last time I bought run flats. Now i have a 2018 Sienna without the AWD. AWD is not worth it with those tires. If you need AWD, buy something else.
This time, like all times, is the best of times if we but know what to do with it.

Topic Author
GuyFromGeorgia

Post by GuyFromGeorgia » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:01 pm

OP here again. Thanks for all the replys. I consider this issue resolved at this point. I'll update the OP also.

I was shocked that I only got 12k miles out of the tires. Several people made comments to review the brochure in the glove box and sure enough I found something specifically on the tires. It states that tires could wear out in as little as 15-20k miles, or as high as 40k miles. 12k is on the short side, but not unrealistic or too far off. I'm not happy, but just needed something to reassure it wasn't a total fluke event.

Thanks again to everyone.

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:26 pm

dm200 wrote:
"Type" of tire has a lot to do with mileage received. On a previous small car, it came with "High Performance" tires. The original tires did not last a long time. I learned that "high performance" tires cost twice as much as "normal" tires and last half as long. Lose - lose (;
Yes, performance tires have softer rubber for better traction, but that contributes to less durability.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:37 pm

MI_bogle wrote:
dm200 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:48 pm
GuyFromGeorgia wrote:
Hi everyone,
That's a chunk of change but not in "we got completely gouged" territory

So actually it seems pretty reasonable, all things considered. Assuming the OP got the OEM or similar run flat tires

OP, don't buy the run flats. Per mile they are crazy expensive. You could come out way ahead by buying regular tires, and keeping a can of fix a flat (although that might mess up TPMS sensors) and/or roadside coverage via your insurance, CC, or AAA. Or you could buy a cheapo rim and tire and throw your spare tire in the back

Do NOT buy a donut spare. Mismatched wheel size and AWD do not play nicely together
I agree.

Run flats are awful. Would rather not have AWD.

I would run good Michelin tires + have a full spare in the back. Lose some cargo space but would be worth it.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:31 pm

I'm not surprised. I wasn't surprised when my wife's Avalon Touring completely wore out all 4 18" tires in 20k miles. New car tires are - in my experience - junk. I started driving in 1966.

Fwiw, Discount Tire has matched Costco twice for me this year - once on Michelin Premiers for her Avalon and once on Defenders my 4Runner. In both cases they matched the Costco price AND they matched the Costco sale price of ONE PENNY per tire for mounting and balancing. Heck, when I took her car in they offered to call Costco and match the price. I had a copy of the Tire Rack price.
/
Nice folks. And they gave me $75 for my almost-worn-out-but-still-legal original tires. They said they weren't even going to clean the dried clay off them because they wouldn't last a two days. I guess 265/70-17 is a popular size.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:45 pm

There is a big difference between legal to drive on, and safe to drive on in inclement weather, or road conditions.
12K is very low. But factory tires are rarely any good.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:52 pm

OP, take this as a lesson to get a $1 tread depth gauge or at least do the easy coin test. You may not have needed tires and just got taken.

hudson

Post by hudson » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:02 pm

I have a relatively new Sienna and my wife is the main driver.

I have AAA.

I rotate the tires every 10K miles...same interval as the oil change....even though the manual calls for more frequent changes.

When the OEM tires wear out, I'll buy Michelins from a trusted tire dealer.
I've removed the spare and tools...and have tried them out. I carry a large breaker bar to remove lug nuts. I have one of those white $10 coveralls suits to cover my clothes and cheap gloves. I checked that the jack will work for me. I know that my wife will not change a flat....but if circumstances are good, I might. Sometimes AAA wait times are too long. On a Sienna removing the spare is very difficult if you have not done it before...and if you aren't handy with tools. One probably should first watch the YouTube video. I'll watch the tread on the Michelins and replace them earlier rather than later. Do old tires get flat more often???

I researched run flat tires years ago and decided that I didn't want them...I forgot the details...probably high cost....not optimal performance.

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:09 pm

We camp in the back of our AWD Sienna sometimes. It is about perfect for a 3/4 full RV mattress.
We bought a used wheel from a junk yard and dumped the run flats for regular tires. Rides better, has a spare, and the tires are much less expensive. We just keep the spare in the back cargo area.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:05 pm

I'm not sure why the flat tire failure mode requires special equipment when there are hundreds of other ways that a vehicle can be disabled that you should also be prepared for. My car insurance company will provide roadside assistance for less than $10 a year. Then you can run stop flats with no spare. Run flats are usually bad tires.

Alan S.

Post by Alan S. » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:11 pm

Somewhat off topic, but the reverse is also a problem.

Some tire dealers refuse to rotate or balance tires that are 6 years or older, even when they have very low mileage and 7/32 of tread. This started at 10 years and is moving to 6 years. Some places use the date stamped on the tires, so the 6 years could start several months before you even installed them. Costco is not one of these dealers - yet!

Can get wastefully expensive for very low mileage vehicles.

jbranx

Post by jbranx » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:32 pm

{Topic is now in Personal Consumer Issues} viewforum.php?f=11

researcher

Post by researcher » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:51 am

GuyFromGeorgia wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:01 pm
I was shocked that I only got 12k miles out of the tires. I'm not happy, but just needed something to reassure it wasn't a total fluke event.
The problem is, you don't know whether your tires actually needed to be replaced at 12K miles, because you didn't check the tread depth to find out. For all you know, they could have lasted another 10K+ miles.

I would never, ever rely solely on what a dealership service writer recommends in terms of maintenance.

Your wife walked into the dealership for a $30 oil change and walked out with a $1200 bill.

This happens all the time, because most consumers are clueless and just go along with whatever unnecessary maintenance is recommended.

workerbeeengineer

Post by workerbeeengineer » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:30 am

Swansea wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:26 pm
dm200 wrote:
Yes, performance tires have softer rubber for better traction, but that contributes to less durability.
We have a 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid. Original tires were shot at less than 20,000 miles. My general expectation is that tires ought to last 40,000 miles/ 4 years. I seem to remember a story that Toyota pressured their tire supplier for a softer rubber in order to have a quieter ride. Perhaps it was also for better traction/ higher performance? In any event, to my surprise we received a very good pro-rated warranty credit for replacement tires. Not the original equipment tires, which was all the Toyota dealer carries. I had to go to a particular tire dealer for the warranty / replacement tires. As I said that worked out fine. I very much liked the treatment I received at this tire dealer and have subsequently purchased three or four sets of tires for various family vehicles.

hudson

Post by hudson » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:44 am

researcher wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:51 am
GuyFromGeorgia wrote:
I was shocked that I only got 12k miles out of the tires. I'm not happy, but just needed something to reassure it wasn't a total fluke event.
I would never, ever rely solely on what a dealership service writer recommends in terms of maintenance.
I went to a Toyota dealer to get a free recall taken care of. They called me back into the shop and showed me where coolant had leaked onto some lower engine parts. They recommended that I replace the water pump. I asked if they had done any other checks of the water pump like listening to it with a stethoscope; they had not. I asked what else they had to go on; they had nothing. I noticed that the leaks could have come from the overflow from the coolant recovery tank. I told them that I would keep an eye on it. The water pump was still going strong five years later when I sold the car.

I have been robbed by service managers many times; I learned the hard way. Many service managers are like many "financial advisors". Unless I see something seriously wrong, I thank them and drive away.

I rarely go to dealers for anything except recalls or for things that my mechanic can't do. Toyotas don't need much service anyway. I had a Toyota truck for 17 years and never had to take it back to the dealer. I rarely go back to the dealer for the free oil changes....but when I do, I appreciate the doughnuts and car wash.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:35 am

Chip wrote:

In the case of the AWD Sienna, it doesn't. I've thought about going to regular tires and getting a spare but the only place for one is to set it up on end in the trunk area and somehow strap it down so that it doesn't bang between the door and the seat back every time I accelerate or brake. Then there is the issue of every time I want to fold the seat down, I have to remove the tire and put it back in since the seats fold down into the cargo space.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:49 am

hudson wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:44 am
researcher wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:51 am
GuyFromGeorgia wrote:
I went to a Toyota dealer to get a free recall taken care of. They called me back into the shop and showed me where coolant had leaked onto some lower engine parts. They recommended that I replace the water pump. I asked if they had done any other checks of the water pump like listening to it with a stethoscope; they had not. I asked what else they had to go on; they had nothing. I noticed that the leaks could have come from the overflow from the coolant recovery tank. I told them that I would keep an eye on it. The water pump was still going strong five years later when I sold the car.

I have been robbed by service managers many times; I learned the hard way. Many service managers are like many "financial advisors". Unless I see something seriously wrong, I thank them and drive away.

I rarely go to dealers for anything except recalls or for things that my mechanic can't do. Toyotas don't need much service anyway. I had a Toyota truck for 17 years and never had to take it back to the dealer. I rarely go back to the dealer for the free oil changes....but when I do, I appreciate the doughnuts and car wash.
Good story :)