The Three-Fund Portfolio

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Short Term Asset Allocation

Post by Taylor Larimore » Wed May 15, 2019 9:34 am

abuss368:

My 25% bond and 75% stock allocation is carefully considered. At age 95, with a life expectancy of 3 years, planning is simplified. :wink:

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: Short Term Asset Allocation

Post by abuss368 » Thu May 16, 2019 7:33 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:34 am
abuss368:

My 25% bond and 75% stock allocation is carefully considered. At age 95, with a life expectancy of 3 years, planning is simplified. :wink:

Best wishes.
Taylor
Thanks Taylor!

Hope you are well.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: The Three-Fund Portfolio

Post by LadyGeek » Fri May 24, 2019 10:42 am

New member goixiz has a question which I've moved into here: NOOB trying to learn (yes im a tad late age 52)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Thu May 30, 2019 5:51 pm

Morningstar's Jason Kephart writes positively on Vanguard funds

Vanguard's Two-Fund Portfolio Just Had Its Best Decade
Jason Kephart, CFA
30 May 2019
In Focus

VBIAX
VBTLX
VGTSX
VSMGX
VTIBX

If it feels like diversifying beyond a simple moderate portfolio that owns one U.S. stock index fund and one U.S. bond index fund has been a fool's errand over the past decade, there's good reason for that. Vanguard Balanced Index (VBIAX) had its best decade of risk-adjusted returns since it launched in 1992, and it invests in just two broad U.S. index funds. To be fair, seven of the 153 funds in the allocation--50% to 70% equity Morningstar Category had as good or slightly better risk-adjusted returns over the decade, so there was some room for improvement, but it has still been a fantastic time for simplicity....

https://www.morningstar.com/articles/93 ... -deca.html

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:41 pm

LXEX55 has asked several questions in this thread. I moved the questions and replies into a new thread. See: [Help me select a Three-Fund Portfolio for my retirement]
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Topic Author
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Personal Portfolio Questions

Post by Taylor Larimore » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:41 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:41 pm
LXEX55 has asked several questions in this thread. I moved the questions and replies into a new thread. See: [Help me select a Three-Fund Portfolio for my retirement]
LadyGeek:

In order to keep this thread from become unwieldy, we must confine Three-Fund Portfolio topics to this portfolio only.

Thank you for moving threads about Personal Portfolios to the Personal Investment forum.

Best wishes.
Taylor

bltn

Re: Short Term Asset Allocation

Post by bltn » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:40 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:34 am
abuss368:

Best wishes.
Taylor
Taylor
Many thanks for the years of advice.
I m trying to pass these BH recommendations on to my kids. This knowledge is an important part of their education which I consider the most important component of my legacy for them.
Be well.

Topic Author
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Total Bond Market

Post by Taylor Larimore » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:51 pm

Bogleheads:

Nice article by Morningstar supporting plain-vanilla, high-quality Total Bond Market Index Fund.

What's the Best Diversifier for Equity Risk?

Best wishes.
Taylor

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: Total Bond Market

Post by abuss368 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:31 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:51 pm
Bogleheads:

Nice article by Morningstar supporting plain-vanilla, high-quality Total Bond Market Index Fund.

What's the Best Diversifier for Equity Risk?

Best wishes.
Taylor
Thanks for sharing Taylor. Total Bond Index is the biggest bond fund in the world and for good reason.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs