Info request on your withdrawals in retirement

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
4nursebee

Info request on your withdrawals in retirement

Post by 4nursebee » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:42 am

A while back I started trying to keep track of what people did in retirement, now can't find a specific post. What I am hoping for is to learn the following:

When did you retire?
How many X of expenses is your portfolio?
Asset mix?
Growth of assets, how much has your portfolio grown or shrunk?
What method do you use for withdrawals? For keeping track I am trying to find an average percent.
Do you have a pension?
Drawing SS yet?
Age would be nice.

I will try and keep track here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
What shows is the data I was able to collect a while ago.
Feel free to message me direct if you do not want to post.

Why am I doing this? Because we are meeting with a fiduciary soon to begin the process of retiring and desire greater insight and peace of mind

thank you
Last edited by 4nursebee on Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
4nursebee

Topic Author
4nursebee

Re: Info request on your withdrawals in retirement

Post by 4nursebee » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:14 am

Thank you for the first of messaged replies, now added to the data.
4nursebee

pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:48 pm

4nursebee, I don't really understand what collecting data from other people is going to do for you. I think you would be much better off posting your information and reviewing the replies. Meeting with an advisor on a one time basis is a good idea, because he will create a plan, but it's rather expensive.

I can understand that the idea of no longer working and receiving regular income can be stressful. I said it felt like being on a tightrope without a net below. :happy That feeling did not last long though. I retired from my career job at 55 due to a medical problem and then worked part time (4hrs/day) in low stress jobs for 8 years. Withdrawal rate was very low due to the part time work and when I finally fully retired I was in good shape.

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

Topic Author
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:13 pm

pkcrafter wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:48 pm
4nursebee, I don't really understand what collecting data from other people is going to do for you. I think you would be much better off posting your information and reviewing the replies. Meeting with an advisor on a one time basis is a good idea, because he will create a plan, but it's rather expensive.

I can understand that the idea of no longer working and receiving regular income can be stressful. I said it felt like being on a tightrope without a net below. :happy That feeling did not last long though. I retired from my career job at 55 due to a medical problem and then worked part time (4hrs/day) in low stress jobs for 8 years. Withdrawal rate was very low due to the part time work and when I finally fully retired I was in good shape.

Paul
Thank you.
As I mentioned, it is for peace of mind and insight.
We are planning on a VPW method, so far not many pulling out that much.
4nursebee

Topic Author
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:18 pm

Thank you for the 2nd message, added to the list.
4nursebee

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:57 pm

I retired at the end of January 2018.

It's not clear if you mean gross expenses, or net after pensions etc. My portfolio is about 60x gross.

Assets are 60/40, 30% of stock international, tilted toward small/value.

Pretty flat since retirement.

I have a non-COLA pension. Eligible for SS at age 62 but not drawing.

Not withdrawing from portfolio as pension is covering expenses currently.
Play Gloria!

Topic Author
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:37 pm

Thank you to the eleven people that shared enough for me to add info today.
4nursebee

celia

Post by celia » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:25 pm

I’m not sure how any of OUR data would help you as we are not typical of the U.S. population. We self-select to participate here and tend to have above-average incomes when working and thus more in savings / retirement plans when retired.

Topic Author
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:05 am

celia wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:25 pm
I’m not sure how any of OUR data would help you as we are not typical of the U.S. population. We self-select to participate here and tend to have above-average incomes when working and thus more in savings / retirement plans when retired.
Much of what is discussed on such things is research, theory, science, ideas.
THis is data, real life.
4nursebee

is50xenough

Post by is50xenough » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:19 am

It is interesting what the growth column says. Would have guessed that in last few years with strong market that would have been higher. Any thoughts?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:39 am

Our perceptions of the market in the last few years may not match reality. :) Those folks who are waiting for a 10% drop are usually out of touch.

I didn't look at the spreadsheet, but yesterday I noticed an ETF purchase of mine is down 10% from a year ago. International stock funds' 12-month (1-year) performances as of yesterday:
-5.23% VTIAX Vanguard Total International index fund
-12.4% VFSVX Vanguard Small-cap foreign index fund
-5.10% VEMAX Vanguard Emerging Markets index fund

Something like Vanguard Total US Stock is up about 24% since the December 2018 lows, but up only 4.4% from one year ago.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Dandy

Post by Dandy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:16 am

When did you retire?

How many X of expenses is your portfolio?
At retirement - 30

Asset mix?
at retirement - 55/45 - now 43/57

Growth of assets, how much has your portfolio grown or shrunk?
Growth - guess is 60% growth? (modest inheritance excluded)

What method do you use for withdrawals? For keeping track I am trying to find an average percent.
Withdrew what was necessary - cut back on spending during early retirement due to 2008-9 recession - then resumed moderate spending. High withdrawal percentage would have been about 4% at retirement much less after a few years due to market recovery

Do you have a pension?
Yes - equals about half of income to support current lifestyle - non COLA --50% reduction for widow.

Drawing SS yet?
Retired age 60 - collected spousal at age 66 - full SS at age 70

Age would be nice.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:11 am

I retired at age 63 in 2013.
Initially, I had around 25X annual expenses in my tax-deferred account, but I annuitized a significant portion of that for lifetime income.

I started divorced spouse SS income at my FRA of 66 and will start my much larger age 70 SS benefit in nine months.

My withdrawal method from my remaining tax-deferred account is figured to levelize my AGI and my income taxes from my mid 60s through my early 70s. I do not "spend" all of my withdrawals in the current year.
Percent-wise, I've been withdrawing in the 4% to 5% range from tax-deferred the past few years, but over half of that is actually a Roth conversion.
Next year at age 70, I will stop Roth conversions and simply withdraw the RMD amount, starting at around 3.65%.

I started with an AA of around 50/50 back in 2013, but a year or two ago, I decided I've basically won the Sequence Of Returns risk game, so I'm not rebalancing anymore. My AA has now drifted upward to around 60% stocks.

I'd have to check, but my portfolio has stayed about the same or grown a bit most of the 6+ years thus far, with a modest shift of assets from tax-deferred to both Roth and taxable accounts...
Attempted new signature...

Topic Author
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:32 pm

Thanks again, added more data.
A more thorough review of this stuff could be really neat.
Added a couple annuity folks.
Surprised at those not drawing much.
4nursebee