What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Capsu78

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Capsu78 » Tue May 07, 2019 11:15 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:01 am
“For the Ones We Loved”
A French film with many short stories about awful romantic situations. It starts with a new husband exiting the church after the wedding ceremony and driving away with his lover in front of the wedding guests. The new wife does not cancel the party. And the guests go on to eat, drink, dance, and talk. And they talk about peculiar love things that happened to them or someone they know.

I liked it a lot,
Victoria

Can you share which service you saw this on? Can't seem to find it on Netflix, Hulu or AP...

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Tue May 07, 2019 2:09 pm

Gloria Bell

Gloria maneuvers through life trying to find happiness and though
things often do not work out well for her she continues to plough
ahead. Music from the 70s and 80s is sprinkled throughout the film
but there is a somewhat pessimistic tone to this movie with no
resolution or take away.
Lead actors Julianne Moore and John Turturro do a commendable
job but I can only give a 5/10 endorsement.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu May 09, 2019 1:59 pm

Capsu78 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:15 am
VictoriaF wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:01 am
“For the Ones We Loved”
A French film with many short stories about awful romantic situations. It starts with a new husband exiting the church after the wedding ceremony and driving away with his lover in front of the wedding guests. The new wife does not cancel the party. And the guests go on to eat, drink, dance, and talk. And they talk about peculiar love things that happened to them or someone they know.

I liked it a lot,
Victoria

Can you share which service you saw this on? Can't seem to find it on Netflix, Hulu or AP...
It was screened at the Washington International Film Festival.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Fri May 10, 2019 10:07 am

Pink Panther 2 on Netflix.

A more modern Inspector Couseau, played by Steve Martin, leads an international Dream Team of detectives to solve a series of high profile thefts. The cast includes Lily Tomlinson, John Cleese and Andy Garcia.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri May 10, 2019 7:52 pm

"DB Cooper" on Hulu with Treat Williams a Robert Duvall. Famous bank robber who jumped out of the back of a commercial airliner in the 70's of which no trace was ever found. Was ok but I expected better.
John C. Bogle: "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat May 11, 2019 12:41 pm

Shazam. It was incredibly stupid. I should have known better :oops:. I don't remember it being that stupid in my childhood, but I was a kid.

Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat May 11, 2019 7:29 pm

Cocaine Godmother on Hulu. Liked it.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat May 11, 2019 9:14 pm

Not sure if this counts as a "movie", but we've just watched again, the Metropolitan Opera's performance of
Mozart's "The Magic Flute":

Julie Taymor's modernistic (shortened) production in English, from 2006.

This was the first of the Met's "Live in HD series" that was shown in movie theatres around the world.

The staging and costumes are dramatic.
Amazing once again.

Ordinarily, we prefer "traditional", but this is special.
:happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 12, 2019 11:16 am

The Hundred-Foot Journey, on Netflix. An Indian family starts a restaurant across the street from a restaurant in France. This is a drama / romance chick-flick. Not bad, I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Mon May 13, 2019 7:16 am

Started “Lost in Space” on Netflix. Two episodes in and we have enjoyed thus far.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon May 13, 2019 3:59 pm

^^^ The series can be discussed in [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?].
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon May 13, 2019 5:18 pm

Hail Satan?

A documentary about The Satanic Temple and their creative form of nonviolent activism with humor.

Very interesting, and fun. I liked it a lot. So, apparently, did Rotten Tomatoes (a metacritic site). https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hail_satan

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue May 14, 2019 10:52 am

Just saw Peter Rabbit (2018) on Netflix streaming.

It's a mix of animation and live action. Very well done. Seamlessly integrated. Visually, it is evocative of Beatrix Potter's well-known illustrations while looking quite realistic and not cartoonish, assuming you can see bunnies wearing little coats as realistic!

It was not only well done technically, but the story was well told. Lots of action and humor, both slapstick and verbal. Suitable for "kids of all ages."

I think it will sustain the interest of just about anyone who watches it. I like to think of myself as an adult and I enjoyed it!
Last edited by bertilak on Wed May 15, 2019 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

batpot

Post by batpot » Tue May 14, 2019 12:51 pm

Black Klansman
It was OK.
Took a lot of artistic license.

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Sun May 19, 2019 2:31 pm

The African Doctor on Netflix... likable characters and interesting storyline based on a true story. Sub titled from French but easy to follow and some good laughs.

You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean » Sun May 19, 2019 7:29 pm

bertilak wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:52 am
Just saw Peter Rabbit (2018) on Netflix streaming.

It's a mix of animation and live action. Very well done. Seamlessly integrated. Visually, it is evocative of Beatrix Potter's well-known illustrations while looking quite realistic and not cartoonish, assuming you can see bunnies wearing little coats as realistic!

It was not only well done technically, but the story was well told. Lots of action and humor, both slapstick and verbal. Suitable for "kids of all ages."

I think it will sustain the interest of just about anyone who watches it. I like to think of myself as an adult and I enjoyed it!
Yes! Your description is spot on! Wonderfully entertaining film. I saw it twice in a theater in 2018. Went to see again because it was absolutely charming.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Mon May 20, 2019 3:13 pm

Burning, streaming on Netflix. Reminded me a bit of a Korean version of "American Psycho".
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:11 pm

The Blind Side - a really good movie about the life of Michael Oher who became a football player with the help of a concerned family.

Creed II - not a great movie but the photography was quite excellent.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue May 21, 2019 12:30 pm

I just re-watched True Grit (2010).

Excellent movie, as most Coen Brothers movies are, and it sure doesn't hurt that it stars Jeff Bridges. The extras on the DVD include a 30-minute video about Charles Portis, the author of the novel True Grit. That interested me enough that I will shortly order one of his books -- not yet sure which one. He only has 5 novels, the first one (Norwood) published in 1966 and the last (Gringos) in 1991. True Grit is his second (1968). At age 86, another is a possibility.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Sat May 25, 2019 11:54 pm

This week's movies:

Hotel Mumbai - a dramatic drama based on the 2008 terrorist attack on the terrorist attack on the Taj Mahal Palace in 2008. An excellent film that did not stay in the theatres for long.

5 Feet Apart - An interesting movie about the lives if teen agers suffering from cystic fibrosis. It raises a lot of questions about surviving vs. living with a chronic condition.

Mary Poppins Returns

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 26, 2019 8:13 am

Shoplifters, $2.99 on Amazon Prime, Japanese with English subtitles. A Japanese family brings another child into the household. The kids contribute by shoplifting.

This emotional drama is very well produced and directed. I can understand why it won several awards. I liked it.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Sun May 26, 2019 8:28 am

abuss368 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:52 pm
"DB Cooper" on Hulu with Treat Williams a Robert Duvall. Famous bank robber who jumped out of the back of a commercial airliner in the 70's of which no trace was ever found. Was ok but I expected better.
Perhaps because we know so little about the underlying story?

We are not even sure who "DB Cooper" was. That's not definitive - contrast that to the post 9-11 detective work on the hijackers where we seemed to be able to unearth pretty much everything about them (for the 9-11 Commission Report) at least until they went underground with AQ.

I believe some of the money was eventually found (in the river?) but that does not conclusively tell us whether DB Cooper survived or died.

It will be one of history's great small mysteries, unless some say we find remains dangling from a parachute in a tree, or some such.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sun May 26, 2019 9:36 am

Attended the Avengers: Endgame flick yesterday with SIL, granddaughter and grandson. Overall, very good.

Special effects were awesome, which one would expect in this genre.

As always, one will look forward to the next movie, despite the this one having Endgame in the title. End of the story, no way!

We were chatting with some of the SIL's neighbors we ran into, so we stayed until the very end of the credits. There were so many names listed I can only imagine the final cost of the movie. But, given the take so far they should cover the expenses many times over.

I wonder how much Robert Downy Jr. banked on this effort. You have to give the man credit for beating his addictions, and going on to having a flourishing career.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:04 pm

Apollo 11 (2019)

I thought I knew the story of Apollo 11 but this amazing film, with
footage not shown before, was a revelation. This documentary
focused not only on the mission but also the myriad of people and
events behind the scenes that gave the endeavor success. The film
does not have the fuzzy, old film, dated look so a lot of high tech
must have gone into remastering the originals resulting in images
and sounds that are crystal clear.
Highly recommended.

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Wed May 29, 2019 3:31 pm

dm200 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:30 am
Saw Vice last evening. Great - in many ways.

My wife liked it as well. She and I rarely like the same movies.
hdas wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:32 pm
Vice.

C.Bale is great
The movie tries to be too many things
Very funny parts
Good biographical details
Too heavy handed in politics
Saw Vice over the weekend. Thought it was horrible. Movie jumped around too much. Not entertaining and didn't learn anything new of any real substance.

stoptothink wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:39 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:30 pm
Crazy Rich Asians

I wanted to like it but was disappointed. It's too primitive. The Professor of Economics is a dilettante in economics. Rachel Chu has nothing in common with her Singapore girlfriend. And other annoyances.

Victoria
This is a bigger WTF than "Roma" for me. I've heard people say this is one of the best movies they've seen in several years...IMO, it was unbearably bad. We very rarely don't make it through a film, but we turned it off about halfway through. It was nothing but an endless string of over-the-top cheesy stereotypes; not remotely creative or funny.

Saw Crazy Rich Asians last night. Or tried to, anyway. Only got about 45 minutes in before hitting stop on the DVD player. Disaster of a movie.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Thu May 30, 2019 3:15 pm

"A Walk in the Woods" starring Robert Redford & Nick Nolte. I thought it was cute, my husband got a few laughs from Nick Notle's lines.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Thu May 30, 2019 3:22 pm

Avengers Endgame. Pretty good.

John Wick 3. Ok. Seemed like a race to see how many people can be killed per second. I enjoy Keanu’s acting much more in a movie like Destination Wedding.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Thu May 30, 2019 11:18 pm

Metro with Eddie Murphy on Hulu. Enjoyed it.

travellight

Post by travellight » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:32 pm

Please post what you thought of the movie rather than list what you have seen (see first post).

I recently saw Booksmart and was very entertained. Not an artsy movie but lots of laughs in the audience. Directed by Olivia Wilde. Beanie Feldstein stole the show; she is sister of Jonah Hill.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:45 pm

The 100 Hundred-Foot Journey, on Netflix.

Nice movie, a French woman and an Indian family operate restaurats across the street from each other.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

FireHorse

Post by FireHorse » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:53 pm

Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen band.
I like the actor of Freddie Mercury better than the real one

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:07 pm

travellight wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:32 pm
Please post what you thought of the movie rather than list what you have seen (see first post).

I recently saw Booksmart and was very entertained. Not an artsy movie but lots of laughs in the audience. Directed by Olivia Wilde. Beanie Feldstein stole the show; she is sister of Jonah Hill.
Upon first read of this I misread Booksmart for Braveheart and really wondered! Lots of laughs??

cnblure

Post by cnblure » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:25 pm

Yesterday I watched The Room and Always Be My Maybe. I enjoyed both.

Ambition89

Post by Ambition89 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:33 pm

Elephant Man by David Lynch. If that movie doesn’t make you feel grateful I don’t know what will.

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:31 pm

Booksmart. This new teen comedy is a mix of sentimentality and the requisite gross-out humor. It's also good-spirited and consistently funny. The two leads are perfect, but just about everybody in the movie is funny.

In theaters now.

Recommended.

https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainm ... t-friends/

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019 ... pectations

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:52 pm

We were somehow in the mood the other evening to re-watch "All the President's Men".

Brought back so many memories of the real times. I was surprised to note how quickly it came out.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

devdude

Post by devdude » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:30 pm

I watched Solo, the Star Wars movie on Netflix. I like the newer Star Wars movies pretty well. It was an interesting story on a young Han Solo and Chewbacca. They don't feel as magical as when I was a kid watching them in the 70's, but that's okay. Emillia Clarke is easy to look at :D
The Dude Abides by Simplicity

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:50 pm

I believe many would like these 2 MOVIES.
Both are currently on Amazon Prime, so there's no cost involved if ones a AMZN Prime member.

Ones called FEDERAL RESERVE- Not Federal, No reserve,... :mrgreen: by Hunter Green.
This is a 4hr+ financial geek like my-selves ideal themed movie.

Another is called Ghost Exchange . My recollection on this one is similar, however its contemporaneous, unlike the one above. I'm not sure if I listed them here before, I've watched both at least twice.

Best wishes.... :thumbsup :happy

Growing Younger w/Dr Steven Gundry by Tom Bilyeu is a very good 6 part series on YOUTUBE also. :mrgreen:
Last edited by aspirit on Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:00 am

We were in a small town with limited movie options. We were going to see Booksmart but after watching the trailer, decided against it.

Instead, we watched A Dog's Journey which was excellent and was well worth the price of admission and tolerating a less than ideal Dolby system. It is highly recommended due to the excellent character development.

hdas

Post by hdas » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:33 am

2 Good Ones

>> The Favorite
>> They Shall not Grow Old
"whenever there is a randomized way of doing something, then there is a nonrandomized way that delivers better performance but requires more thought" ET Jaynes

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:40 am

For some reason the wife wanted to watch John Wick 1 and 2 over the past few days. I knew they'd be pointless violence (which is usually right up my alley), but I was shocked at the total lack of attempt at creating a believable or cohesive story. And, Keanu Reeves is not believable at all in that role. My wife enjoyed them, I couldn't get over how unrealistic and silly they were.

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:27 pm

Just saw Rocketman (Elton John biopic) at the neighborhood multiplex. If you haven't been to a movie in a few years, you should go. The digital projectors are incredibly sharp, film making has improved unbelievably, the sound is great, where we went they have lounge chairs that are far apart from others. You have reserved seats, so show up when you want, and it wasn't that expensive ($11 a seat). We loved the "film", but my main reaction was, "We have to get out more often!"

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:41 pm

michaelingp wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:27 pm
Just saw Rocketman (Elton John biopic) at the neighborhood multiplex. If you haven't been to a movie in a few years, you should go. The digital projectors are incredibly sharp, film making has improved unbelievably, the sound is great, where we went they have lounge chairs that are far apart from others. You have reserved seats, so show up when you want, and it wasn't that expensive ($11 a seat). We loved the "film", but my main reaction was, "We have to get out more often!"
Out of curiosity, how state-of-the-art is your home viewing setup? I ask, because in the past n years, tremendous strides have been made there also. I no longer go to movie theaters, and wonder if I’m missing something; that said, my home theater is leagues better than it was 10 years ago.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:30 pm

It also depends on your environment, i.e. proper distance to the display and speakers, proper room lighting and sound management (reflections off the wall, floor, and ceiling, etc.). I could go into a lot more detail, but please start a thread in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (this one) to discuss.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:45 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:41 pm
Out of curiosity, how state-of-the-art is your home viewing setup? I ask, because in the past n years, tremendous strides have been made there also. I no longer go to movie theaters, and wonder if I’m missing something; that said, my home theater is leagues better than it was 10 years ago.
It had been a very log time since I went to a movie theater when my daughter dragged me out to see a movie in a theater. I was surprised at the huge improvement (tremendous strides?) in the movie-going experience! They are fighting back: reserved, tiered, seating with reclining, leather (-like?) padded seats. All very posh and comfortable and relaxing! Still, the movie itself (Black Panther) was as bad as I thought it would be. I think the movie format itself (two hour show) is having trouble competing with television's multi-episode format.

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:54 pm

American Psycho on Hulu.

travellight

Post by travellight » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:46 am

bertilak wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:45 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:41 pm
It had been a very log time since I went to a movie theater when my daughter dragged me out to see a movie in a theater. I was surprised at the huge improvement (tremendous strides?) in the movie-going experience! They are fighting back: reserved, tiered, seating with reclining, leather (-like?) padded seats. All very posh and comfortable and relaxing! Still, the movie itself (Black Panther) was as bad as I thought it would be. I think the movie format itself (two hour show) is having trouble competing with television's multi-episode format.
It’s like flying first class instead of coach for just a few bucks more. Some places like Cinepolis even serve you food in your seat.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:03 am

travellight wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:46 am
It’s like flying first class instead of coach for just a few bucks more.
Exactly, but with the same disappointing destination!

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:42 pm

After all the mentions here I watched John Wick. Surprisingly I watched it all, but can't say why. I googled how many killed and got various counts, one says he kills 80 but says that doesn't count those killed by other characters.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:00 pm

I thought Stan and Ollie was a really good film despite its short run in the theatres. The movie focuses on their later years as they attempt to revitalize their career.