Best women's starter golf clubs?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
notmyhand

Best women's starter golf clubs?

Post by notmyhand » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:24 pm

My boss told me I need to take up golf in order to take clients out. What is the best starter set of women's golf clubs and anything specific that a beginner should spend money on? I don't think this will pay off immediately for me so I am trying not to spend a ton of money here.

Thanks!

Re: Best women's starter golf clubs?

Post by 123 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:41 pm

There are some introductory women's sets on Amazon for around $200 or less. I would start with a generic set to get a sense of what "fits". You have to decide between right and left-handed clubs. There is no practical limit to what you can spend for the latest "magical" custom clubs. Depending on how your studies and practice go it could be 6 months or a year before you're comfortable playing with a client. It's not a matter of winning or losing necessarily but being comfortable and knowledgeable about the game, the rules, the rituals. You do likely want to be able to engage with the client instead of spending all your time in the rough/woods looking for your ball.

Taking a course at a community college can be an excellent serious introduction to golf. Of course golf courses offer individual and group lessons as well but they can get expensive compared to a community college. Some city recreation department may have short 5 - 6 week introductory classes as well (typically 1 evening a week). The advantage of a beginner class of some sort, as opposed to private lessons, is that you can often pair-up with a classmate for a round of golf to practice, separate from the class. Start on a local municipal course, you don't need to fly to Pebble Beach and pay a fee of $500 or more for a round there to practice.

Maybe one day we'll spot you on the Golf Channel wearing a Vanguard hat.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:52 pm

Find a good golf pro and get lessons.

I’d go to the nearest Golf Galaxy and test out a bunch of clubs.

There are a ton of YouTube videos dedicated to reviewing golf clubs.

You can look into a used set (or at least a new set from a prior year) if you want to save money. Without going into specifics (mostly because I don’t know the specifics about the ladies clubs), would stick with the well known brands (e.g. Calloway, Taylor Made). If you want to get fancy, you can check out clubs that the LPGA players are using. Like the PGA guys, most of their golf clubs are accessible to regular folks (think basketball players with their sneakers) and likewise popular with regular weekend warriors.

Have fun. Golf (even shopping for the gear) is addicting!

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:58 pm

notmyhand wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:24 pm
My boss told me I need to take up golf in order to take clients out. What is the best starter set of women's golf clubs and anything specific that a beginner should spend money on? I don't think this will pay off immediately for me so I am trying not to spend a ton of money here.

Thanks!
I was here a few years ago. Now the golf bug has bit me and I enjoy the time out. Recommend Golf Galaxy (which is owned by Dick's). Spent 3 plus hours there one night testing, getting fitted, and so forth. The rep was extremely helpful and I learned much. I spent a nice penny on clubs but have no regrets.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Murgatroyd

Post by Murgatroyd » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:00 pm

Starter sets are a good value but you are asked to entertain customers. This means some professionalism is required. You will need to look the part even if your game isn’t sharp. Callaway has great used values online. Here’s a sample of iron sets in the $200’s.

https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/go ... ets-womens

Woods are also available.
Fore!

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:17 pm

Murgatroyd wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:00 pm
Starter sets are a good value but you are asked to entertain customers. This means some professionalism is required. You will need to look the part even if your game isn’t sharp. Callaway has great used values online. Here’s a sample of iron sets in the $200’s.

https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/go ... ets-womens

Woods are also available.
Fore!
I went with Callaway and the computer at Golf Galaxy proved I hit the best with them.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

goingup

Post by goingup » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:06 pm

notmyhand wrote:

Thanks!
Frankly, I take issue with the boss's advice. A beginner golfer, especially a woman, likely isn't going to successfully network on the golf course. If you are an athlete, who can easily take up golf with some proficiency, then it might be worthwhile. I say this as a woman, who was once in sales, and was pretty decent golfer. :wink:

I would look for other ways to interact with clients that would cast you in a more advantageous light.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:18 pm

goingup wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:06 pm
notmyhand wrote:

Thanks!
Frankly, I take issue with the boss's advice. A beginner golfer, especially a woman, likely isn't going to successfully network on the golf course. If you are an athlete, who can easily take up golf with some proficiency, then it might be worthwhile. I say this as a woman, who was once in sales, and was pretty decent golfer. :wink:

I would look for other ways to interact with clients that would cast you in a more advantageous light.
You've brought up some interesting points.

Yes. And, a proficient female golfer might have the opposite effect as far as business networking due to the male ego factor. OTOH, a duffer would not be invited a second time for slowing down the group.

A longtime golf group friend has a wife who took up golf late in the game. Now, a 12 hdcp! But, a huge investment in time and money. Though popular at the country club in women's leagues, etc, I wonder that, if needed, there would be business networking across sexes. It seems business women network one way, and businessman network at the golf course, tennis club, and locker room. At some clubs, there are women's tee times, men's tee times, and mixed tee times as far as clubs and leagues.

If the men's business group, etc, invited Annika Sorrenstam, etc, maybe it might be different. But, a beginner female golfer, not so sure as there's a lot of ego flying around.

I've played golf most of my life, private clubs, business groups, leagues, etc. both with women and men, mixed, etc.
Yes, there's business networking but not all on the golf course, also at lunch after, in the locker room where things "hang out" and so forth.
There's an interesting dynamic that happens. I'm sure it might be the same at a tennis club. Maybe tennis would be a more available remedy as the learning curve and expenses and time requirements are far lower.

There's more to think about than just buying a set of clubs and taking a few lessons.

Taking clients out to network does not have to include golf or tennis. And, often, a female can cross barriers easier than Male to Male, in other ways because the dynamics are different, It just is.

Some random thoughts that may or may not apply.
j

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:33 pm

Sounds like it is golf for business. Specifically golf for your boss and his business. No way he thought this out at all. Does he golf?
You will have to dress, talk and look the part, including your clubs. Right now you don't know a pitching wedge from 7 iron. You are being thrown to the wolves there.
A woman in the foursome is a big minority (oxymoron) anyway. Not knowing how to play reduces that stature. You need another woman in the foursome.
New clubs, OK, but overall you would be setting yourself up for failure. On the course, and in the business. If you can't play, you are not going to be taken seriously by the clients who do. Call it sexist, but it is a real threat to you in your job. Best to delay until you can stay completely away. Otherwise you would need to play golf for at least a year to get yourself in the minimum level where it may work out. That would be a year of frustration, money, and time, with no clear reward. More to lose than to gain.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:40 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:33 pm
Sounds like it is golf for business. Specifically golf for your boss and his business. No way he thought this out at all. Does he golf?
You will have to dress, talk and look the part, including your clubs. Right now you don't know a pitching wedge from 7 iron. You are being thrown to the wolves there.
A woman in the foursome is a big minority (oxymoron) anyway. Not knowing how to play reduces that stature. You need another woman in the foursome.
New clubs, OK, but overall you would be setting yourself up for failure. On the course, and in the business. If you can't play, you are not going to be taken seriously by the clients who do. Call it sexist, but it is a real threat to you in your job. Best to delay until you can stay completely away. Otherwise you would need to play golf for at least a year to get yourself in the minimum level where it may work out. That would be a year of frustration, money, and time, with no clear reward. More to lose than to gain.
+1
Completely Agree
j :happy

CheCha54

Post by CheCha54 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:06 pm

Serious golf and customer golf are two different things. Most of the time business golf is played as a team with a A,B,C,D player in each group. There are always plenty of D's to go around. Get a set of used clubs from someone upgrading and take some lessons. I'm an A player and that's how I started. Began just to play on the company golf outings and got hooked. I always enjoyed playing with beginners in my group with the goal to have fun. Serious, competitive golfers realize they are in a swing an giggle environment on these outings. Best advice I can give is don't spend the entire day apologizing, we have all been there.

carolc

Post by carolc » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:36 am

I have decided to learn golf this summer. I have found a pro to give me lessons. She says not to buy a set of clubs now. I have purchased a putter (men’s) and have borrowed a few other clubs. First, I have to make sure I like the game, then I have to be pretty good before I buy some more clubs.

carolc

dsmil

Post by dsmil » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:31 am

A starter box set is the easiest way to go. Expensive clubs are not the best use of your money when you're trying to learn golf; lessons and time at the driving range are.

I buy almost all of my clubs used from Global Golf and they have a Callaway used starter set for $200 (or new for $250).

https://www.globalgolf.com/golf-clubs/1 ... dies/used/

You can also find it through Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Callaway-Womens- ... pons&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Callaway-Womens- ... pons&psc=1

drdrgolf

Post by drdrgolf » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:50 am

Where to begin....
Get a set of used clubs with assistance from your boss, friend or sales rep.
Enroll in a 3 or 5 day golf school/class. There you will learn etiquette, basic rules and skills.
Upon completion you should go to a very high bridge and throw the clubs over the side.
Find a new job and and a Psychologist. Be truthful and then find a game you can enjoy for the rest of your life !!!
IMHO, golf is the greatest game in the world if you don't take it or yourself too seriously. Easy to learn and difficult to master.
Remember, no one cares how you play but do it quickly, have fun and allow those playing behind you to do likewise.
Regards,
Dominic
Dominic

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:59 am

drdrgolf wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:50 am
Where to begin....
Get a set of used clubs with assistance from your boss, friend or sales rep.
Enroll in a 3 or 5 day golf school/class. There you will learn etiquette, basic rules and skills.
Upon completion you should go to a very high bridge and throw the clubs over the side.
Find a new job and and a Psychologist. Be truthful and then find a game you can enjoy for the rest of your life !!!
IMHO, golf is the greatest game in the world if you don't take it or yourself too seriously. Easy to learn and difficult to master.
Remember, no one cares how you play but do it quickly, have fun and allow those playing behind you to do likewise.
Regards,
Dominic
+1
Everyone in my family including me have learned and played golf since young. Truly a game for a lifetime (as long as one's spine holds up).

Stages of golf:

Beginner/duffer > love the challenge and the comaraderie.
Competent > love the passion of improvement and lower scores.
Amateur > the thrill of competition and personal "bests", that occasional perfect execution of shot and course strategy.
Senior senior > love the comaraderie and just being in the open air on grass. :D

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:10 am

Play golf with a beginning woman golfer? You've got to be kidding me?

Your boss is a ***** (not very bright).

Golf is extremely difficult, and this idea will reflect negatively on you and your company.
Funding secured

OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:44 am

Make sure you learn how to swear correctly and at the right time. I agree with first take a few lessons then get fiting from a good source, Golf Galaxy is good...then learn that golf life most things in life is best enjoyed when there is no stress on you and you can enjoy the surroundings. But do learn all the proper swear words as well! :happy

FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:46 am

goingup wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:06 pm
notmyhand wrote:

Thanks!

Interesting. I found the customers who made the decisions had no time for golf. Golf seems to be a dying breed.

Regardless, there is too much gate keeping on this topic, which sounds chauvenistic in it's attempts to sound practical.

Customers will always spend time with people who address their business needs. Lighten up and enjoy!