Alternative to USPS

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
keyfort

Alternative to USPS

Post by keyfort » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:29 pm

We weren't able to file electronically, so we mailed our tax returns via USPS certified mail and our California state one hasn't been delivered. On the tracking, it just says in transit and will be late. Apparently people who've had this come up as a status on their tracking have waited months, and in some cases seemingly years, without an update.

Assuming we don't use USPS again, can we have a tax return for the California FTB delivered via UPS? Or FedEx?

runner3081

Re: Alternative to USPS

Post by runner3081 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:57 pm

Yes, of course. FedEx or UPS.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:59 pm

I put the number of first-class stamps appropriate to its weight and drop it in a mail collection box.

Gone and forgotten.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

Topic Author
keyfort

Post by keyfort » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:02 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:57 pm
Ok that's great. I'd been told somewhere that only USPS can deliver into a mailbox and was recommended to use them for a tax return. I think I was a bit naive.

cykj

Post by cykj » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:11 pm

keyfort wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:02 pm
runner3081 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:57 pm
Ok that's great. I'd been told somewhere that only USPS can deliver into a mailbox and was recommended to use them for a tax return. I think I was a bit naive.
UPS will not deliver to a PO Box. From their site:

UPS will only accept shipments to a valid street address. We do not deliver to P.O. Boxes. If a shipper should use a P.O. Box address, the recipient´s telephone number must be included on the label. Your package that is addressed to a P.O. Box may be delayed, will not be covered by any UPS Service Guarantee, and will require an address correction charge. Additionally, Army Post Office (APO) and Fleet Post Office (FPO) addresses are not accepted.

Neither does FedEx, but what they do is use something called SmartPost, in which USPS does the final mile delivery.

FedEx SmartPost® is an economical and reliable service for low-weight business-to-consumer shipments. Ideal for online retailers, FedEx SmartPost picks up and transports your package until the final delivery where we utilize the efficiency of the United States Postal Service® (USPS).

What’s in it for you?
Delivery to 100 percent of U.S. residences, including P.O. boxes and APO/FPO destinations.

Texgal17

Post by Texgal17 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:13 pm

Other mailing options:

UPS: UPS Next Day Air Early A.M., UPS Next Day Air, UPS Next Day Air Saver, UPS 2nd Day Air, UPS 2nd Day Air A.M., UPS Worldwide Express Plus and UPS Worldwide Express.
Federal Express: FedEx First Overnight, FedEx Priority Overnight, FedEx Standard Overnight, FedEx 2 Day, FedEx International Next Flight Out, FedEx International Priority, FedEx International First and FedEx International Economy.
DHL: DHL Express 9:00, DHL Express 10:30, DHL Express 12:00, DHL Express Worldwide, DHL Express Envelope, DHL Import Express 10:30, DHL Import Express 12:00, DHL Import Express Worldwide.
Returns sent by these, and only these, private delivery services, should be sent only to the following Submission Processing Center street addresses:

Austin
Internal Revenue Submission Processing Center
3651 S IH35
Austin TX 78741

Cincinnati
Internal Revenue Submission Processing Center
201 West Rivercenter Blvd.
Covington, KY 41011

Texgal17

Post by Texgal17 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:19 pm

We’re you making a tax payment or expecting a refund? It’s possible that the certified letter got missed in the scanning process. Did you check to see if your payment cleared or got online at the IRS “What is my refund status” ? 🧐

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:40 pm

“If five or more mailing days have passed and your recipient confirms that he has not received the letter or package, visit the "Track and Confirm" page of the USPS website. Enter the label ID number that is printed on your certified mail receipt and submit it....That post office must respond to you by the end of the next business day, according to USPS policy.”

https://budgeting.thenest.com/certified ... 24833.html

If you’ve verified that the FTB hasn’t got the return, then trace the envelope.
Last edited by quantAndHold on Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:40 pm

My wife wanted to send our tax returns via certified mail, well in advance of the deadline. I didn't. Luckily we file separately.
I put 1-2 stamps on it (dang MFS requires you to print and mail, no electronic) and dropped it in the box. She had to go to the Post Office and wait and pay $3.xx for hers to mail.

Guess who got his return first? :D

I swap/sell climbing gear often and use USPS first class package service - it includes tracking, but no insurance, etc. No issues. I like that I can print labels at home and drop packages off on my way to work without having to interact with anyone.

YMMV

ladycat

Post by ladycat » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:57 pm

keyfort wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:29 pm
We weren't able to file electronically, so we mailed our tax returns via USPS certified mail and our California state one hasn't been delivered. On the tracking, it just says in transit and will be late. Apparently people who've had this come up as a status on their tracking have waited months, and in some cases seemingly years, without an update.

Assuming we don't use USPS again, can we have a tax return for the California FTB delivered via UPS? Or FedEx?
https://www.ftb.ca.gov/aboutFTB/add.shtml
go to the bottom of the page for instructions for private carrier or overnight delivery service. Without a specific program area, sending via USPS is probably your easiest method.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:05 pm

keyfort wrote:

Are you sure it hasn't been delivered? A massive amount of postal mail descends on the feds and states at tax time, and they have fewer and fewer employees thanks to fed financial constraints. Not all returns get marked as being delivered, even though they have been.

I mail my tax returns certified mail return receipt requested. None have ever been lost, although some have gone into the no tracking delivered entry for weeks when I can tell from cancelled checks that they have been delivered.

I like the USPS because they handle items carefully. FedEx and UPS are wretched in my experience. I figure if they do a bad job in one aspect they will do a bad job elsewhere.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:07 pm

Are you able to pay online?

I try to always owe some small amount on my federal taxes, so I pay online. No more mailing, though I have never had an issue when I have mailed the taxes.

Not sure what options are available for state income taxes as we don't have any.

I would hope states would extend the ability for their returns.

Do you have to make estimated payments for your state income taxes?

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:09 pm

keyfort wrote:

Yes, FedEx or UPS.

increment

Post by increment » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:22 pm

cykj wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:11 pm
Neither does FedEx, but what they do is use something called SmartPost, in which USPS does the final mile delivery.
I believe that SmartPost is separate service from FedEx's regular services. UPS has a similar program called Mail innovations; it may not be available to regular consumers.

Note that UPS and FedEx regularly accept items addressed to PO boxes (which they can't service).

Topic Author
keyfort

Post by keyfort » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:00 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:07 pm
Are you able to pay online?

I try to always owe some small amount on my federal taxes, so I pay online. No more mailing, though I have never had an issue when I have mailed the taxes.

Not sure what options are available for state income taxes as we don't have any.

I would hope states would extend the ability for their returns.

Do you have to make estimated payments for your state income taxes?

Broken Man 1999
Thanks. We can pay online but we're not able to submit this year's tax return online.

Topic Author
keyfort

Post by keyfort » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:12 pm

fru-gal wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:05 pm
keyfort wrote:

Are you sure it hasn't been delivered? A massive amount of postal mail descends on the feds and states at tax time, and they have fewer and fewer employees thanks to fed financial constraints. Not all returns get marked as being delivered, even though they have been.

I mail my tax returns certified mail return receipt requested. None have ever been lost, although some have gone into the no tracking delivered entry for weeks when I can tell from cancelled checks that they have been delivered.

I like the USPS because they handle items carefully. FedEx and UPS are wretched in my experience. I figure if they do a bad job in one aspect they will do a bad job elsewhere.
Actually, you're probably right and this also makes me realize that we could have other problems using UPS or FedEx. After this year we will find a way to do it online.

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:57 pm

This happened to us. I called the IRS and discussed the situation. The address listed on the form I had filled out was a PO Box and not a street address, which surprised the IRS rep. She told me to wait two more weeks and if the tracking number still didn't report as delivered, to resend to a street address she provided. She said when resending to note that I talked to IRS representative # on such and such a date and that am following her instructions to resend. The second mailing was received in normal expected time and accepted as on-time.

Herekittykitty

Post by Herekittykitty » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:05 am

The same happened to me a few years ago when I mailed a tax return to a California office. I asked the post office, and they said that that office has a high volume of tax returns coming in, and apparently they simply don't acknowledge receipt in a timely manner if ever. Maybe they don't get scanned in, maybe they just sit in the post office for a while. Who knows, I couldn't figure it out. After a while it was clear they had received it and my return was processed - I don't recall if I ever did get the receipt or if my tax return ended up getting processed first so they must have received it.

It drove me nuts. I had not mailed to that office before and haven't since. My accountant gives me an addressed envelope to mail my return to once I sign it, and I had told them about the issue. I don't know how it gets decided where to send one's returns.

Who knows if this is the same office to which you mailed your return.
I don't know anything.

mchampse

Post by mchampse » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:15 pm

keyfort wrote:

We end up buying a lot of stuff online and it seems to ship USPS a decent amount. I also have an app that you enter the tracking number and it keeps track of your package. It does happen somewhat often that USPS tracking loses track of a package that we end up receiving on time. I would contact the FTB first before resending to see if they got it irrespective of what it says online.

Topic Author
keyfort

Post by keyfort » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:51 pm

mchampse wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:15 pm
keyfort wrote:

We end up buying a lot of stuff online and it seems to ship USPS a decent amount. I also have an app that you enter the tracking number and it keeps track of your package. It does happen somewhat often that USPS tracking loses track of a package that we end up receiving on time. I would contact the FTB first before resending to see if they got it irrespective of what it says online.
Sounds like others above have had some bad experiences too. I'll give it a couple more weeks and then see if the FTB has received it. The other part that really gets me is how sensitive all the information is within the return. Someone getting that could be extremely bad for us.

Topic Author
keyfort

Post by keyfort » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:52 pm

Ice-9 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:57 pm
This happened to us. I called the IRS and discussed the situation. The address listed on the form I had filled out was a PO Box and not a street address, which surprised the IRS rep. She told me to wait two more weeks and if the tracking number still didn't report as delivered, to resend to a street address she provided. She said when resending to note that I talked to IRS representative # on such and such a date and that am following her instructions to resend. The second mailing was received in normal expected time and accepted as on-time.
The IRS ones have so far been delivered well and have been signed for so we can see they were accepted, which is really good. It's the FTB which hasn't gone so well, though who knows if it's them or USPS..

Topic Author
keyfort

Post by keyfort » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:49 pm

Just to update: I spoke to USPS at a local office and they said that the FTB must have got the packet but it just wasn't scanned as delivered. They said this is because they can see it was signed as received into their P.O. Box at the depot where the FTB picks all the mail up from USPS. They said this happens all the time...

Pete12

Post by Pete12 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:39 pm

keyfort wrote:
For FedEx I have used the following address with success:

FRANCHISE TAX BOARD
9645 BUTTERFIELD WAY
SACRAMENTO, CA 94267