Anything you wish you had spent money on when you were younger?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rjbraun

Re: Anything you wish you had spent money on when you were younger?

Post by rjbraun » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:20 pm

bhsince87 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:34 pm
I kind of wish I had spent the money and time for a Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering. I took a couple classes, and decided it wasn't probably worth it for my career.

And I think I was 100% correct in that. I can't imagine my career being any more successful than it was. I became sort of a super star in my industry.

And now that I'm retired at 54, I've been approached a few times about developing and teaching some college courses in my area of expertise. And I think that would be fun!

But the accredited universities require at least a Master's degree. And I don't think it's worth the dollars or time to earn one at this point.

I was literally planning for my retirement when I was 22, and invested accordingly. But I never thought about the effect that degree might have AFTER I was retired.
Someone I know got an advance degree mid-career, at least in part for the possibility of teaching in the future. This person got their degree abroad, in a country they were interested to spend time in, anyway. Just mentioning this, in case something similar might appeal to you. Maybe spend time in Canada or the UK, if either of those places interests you, to experience the culture while also picking up a masters in EE ...

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:30 pm

Whiskey and women.

And women.

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:44 pm

Nothing I can think of.

:wink:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:46 pm

c.coyle wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:48 pm
Amazon stock in 1997.
For me it would be Monster Energy stock... especially because I started drinking it back before it's 60,000% rise.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:47 pm

Nope. When I was much younger, I didn't have any more money than I spent.

After that, I paid myself first and then freely spent the rest. No regrets.

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:11 pm

I wish I would have bought index funds instead of accumulating in a savings account. I was scared off stocks by my dad who read Motley Fool and read every investing book and watched every program and had an uncanny habit of buying stock if companies that then went bankrupt. It made me think investing was like a day at the race track.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:28 pm

No regrets. I've always managed to spend money in my own frugal fashion - largely on world travel.

Presintense

Post by Presintense » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:44 pm

masonstone wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:29 pm
So I know this forum is all about index investing and saving money. But is there anything you regret not spending money on? Like family vacations when your kids were younger or parents were younger/healthier?
I wish I would have traded some of the money I made for more time with my kids when they were young.Is that the same as something I wish I would have spent money on when I was younger?
Performance = Potential - Distraction

Pilgrim4570

Post by Pilgrim4570 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:50 pm

Home purchase was based on location and price. It has worked, but a level lot would have been better.
Pilgrim 45-70 | Killing time

Topic Author
masonstone

Post by masonstone » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:53 pm

Presintense wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:44 pm
masonstone wrote:
So I know this forum is all about index investing and saving money. But is there anything you regret not spending money on? Like family vacations when your kids were younger or parents were younger/healthier?
I wish I would have traded some of the money I made for more time with my kids when they were young.Is that the same as something I wish I would have spent money on when I was younger?
This is my biggest regret at work, that I’m not spending more time with the little ones.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:18 pm

I don't regret not spending more money .

Regrets are more about relationships than money.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:01 am

when I was in college and took an investing class and a crazy classmate told me to invest in apple when all of us were talking about Dell being best in class while apple was $2 a share..... could have spent some money there...

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:26 am

yeahman wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:32 pm
Nobody regrets not buying those $300 shoes 10 years ago.
I regret not buying running shoes more often 10 years ago. I had a half dozen injuries which I link to trying to get too many miles (i.e. keep them 4 months instead of 3). Wasted a lot of good training to save 75 bucks.

A440

Post by A440 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:55 am

masonstone wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:53 pm
Presintense wrote:
masonstone wrote:
This is my biggest regret at work, that I’m not spending more time with the little ones.
Lots of music quotes come to mind (hearing "Cats in the Cradle" in my head right now) and this line from the Eagles, "You can spend all your time making money. You can spend all your love making time"

But seriously, being home for my kids was a big push towards choosing a career in teaching. Being at work by 7:00 am means I can be home most days by 2:30 to meet them at the bus or front door when they walk in. Being home in July and August, except when I'm working my side hustle to pay the summer bills, is also a blessing. It is important to keep margin in your life for your family.

Back to staying on topic, I didn't have much disposable income when I was younger, but if I did I would have purchased items of better quality (tools, furniture, cars) because what I could afford tended to break or wear out sooner than later.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.

jose

Post by jose » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:37 am

Looking at the first 64 responses, it looks like "spending" is overrated.

With the exception of that pair of shoes in the 80s, (or whiskey and women :beer) nothing stands out. Many answers are about investing or saving, not spending. Most spending answers are about travel, which becomes contested after enough trips. I suspect people regret much more the money they wasted. That money could buy peace and time later in life.

I conclude that the important things in life don't cost money. Real relationships, peace, appreciating beauty where you are. Spending more does not make you any happier. Many times I spend, I feel less happy. I have been quite frugal by nature, and I don't regret that at all. It has given me a lot of peace.

jose

Presintense

Post by Presintense » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:20 pm

masonstone wrote:
Presintense wrote:
masonstone wrote:
Our most precious and finite resource is definitely time, not money. Knowing when you have enough money so that you can spend more of your time is priceless.
Performance = Potential - Distraction

Topic Author
masonstone

Post by masonstone » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:45 pm

Presintense wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:20 pm
masonstone wrote:
Presintense wrote:
masonstone wrote:
Our most precious and finite resource is definitely time, not money. Knowing when you have enough money so that you can spend more of your time is priceless.
Agreed and with time you can make money but with money you can’t gain back time.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:51 pm

Nope, not a single thing.

:beer
masonstone wrote:
Presintense wrote:
masonstone wrote:
There's still time OP! :happy
"Knowledge and innocence are both excellent things, and they are both very funny. But it is right that knowledge should be the servant and innocence the master." - GK Chesterton

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:03 pm

masonstone wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:45 pm
Presintense wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:20 pm
masonstone wrote:
Presintense wrote:
masonstone wrote:
Agreed and with time you can make money but with money you can’t gain back time.
Well, discretionary funds allow you to free up precious time to allocate to the things you value, be it relationships, hobbies, etc. by hiring others to do drudgery (housework, etc.) Money buys freedom. Determining when you have "enough", though, can be challenging, imo.

Drengr

Post by Drengr » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:05 pm

I wish we had hired help to do household cleaning/cooking/lawn mowing etc. Wife and I are professionals with demanding jobs but we can afford to hire help. When our kids were born, we were always tired but did all the work around the house to save money. I wish we had the foresight and spent more time with the kids by outsourcing these tasks.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:40 pm

jose wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:37 am
Looking at the first 64 responses, it looks like "spending" is overrated.

With the exception of that pair of shoes in the 80s, (or whiskey and women :beer) nothing stands out. Many answers are about investing or saving, not spending. Most spending answers are about travel, which becomes contested after enough trips. I suspect people regret much more the money they wasted. That money could buy peace and time later in life.

I conclude that the important things in life don't cost money. Real relationships, peace, appreciating beauty where you are. Spending more does not make you any happier. Many times I spend, I feel less happy. I have been quite frugal by nature, and I don't regret that at all. It has given me a lot of peace.

jose
interestingly I do not read it that way at all. Folks don't regret not spending more money because they did.
We do many things that do/did not cost much and are really happy we do/did them
We also do/did many things that are fairly expensive and are happy we do/did them as well.
Really glad we have not had to be too frugal and so we do not have any regrets on not spending.

JackoC

Post by JackoC » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:58 pm

jose wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:37 am

1. With the exception of that pair of shoes in the 80s, (or whiskey and women :beer) nothing stands out. Many answers are about investing or saving, not spending. Most spending answers are about travel, which becomes contested after enough trips. I suspect people regret much more the money they wasted. That money could buy peace and time later in life.

2. I conclude that the important things in life don't cost money. Real relationships, peace, appreciating beauty where you are.

3. Spending more does not make you any happier. Many times I spend, I feel less happy. I have been quite frugal by nature, and I don't regret that at all. It has given me a lot of peace.
1. I agree, the answers that give investments (more 401k, a particular stock, bitcoin, an MBA) I'd 'strike as non responsive'. :happy I guess some were attempts at humor. But I think the relative lack of real answers might be the audience more than the question.

2. I do agree with that.

3. Yet I don't agree here. Some spending does make me happier, nor is there a reason for it to be an either or between that and family (by far the most important ones to me) relationships. Or, if there's a trade off between them it is (was in my case) between time working and time with family, but that's not exactly the same question as wishing you had spent on particular things.

Anyway on spending per se I'm not a big airplane overseas travel guy, minimum to compromise with wife. I like US road trips much better. Which is related to, I wish I'd opened up earlier to spending more on cars. Not a deep regret but I could and now realize should have bought cars like my current one (BMW M2) long ago. It's more fun at first, then after awhile...it still is, no 'hedonic treadmill' for me. It makes winding coastal, mountain, desolate road road trips an extra blast besides all the stuff to see and explore along the way. I had the money to do it in the past, without compromising financial security and I just didn't, but should have. Oh well, not a big deal, but not 'nothing'.

Trism

Post by Trism » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:22 pm

I wish I had been more promiscuous, which is technically free if you are doing it right.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:59 pm

Maybe on dating a woman who would have made an outstanding wife! Or, perhaps for more immediate "benefits".

Then again, the downside might have been that she would have been unhappy at my "boglehead" ways!