What flagship (even used) item is better than a budget new item?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Starfish

Re: What flagship (even used) item is better than a budget new item?

Post by Starfish » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:29 pm

7eight9 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:20 pm

A used Toyota Century (flagship item) would be superior to a budget new item.
And you would know this... how?
From wikipedia?

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:33 pm

randomguy wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:12 pm
7eight9 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:42 pm
Starfish wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:41 pm
I find funny that most car examples are completely opposed to the title.
I mean come on, what is lower than hondas and toyotas?
In the Japanese market Toyota does produce what most anyone would consider a flagship car - the Century.

I don't consider an 85k Landcruiser low end either.:)

Toyota/Honda are definitely not low end cars. Kias, Hyundais, american cars, mitsubishi, and the rest all the cars that people with no cash buy. Honda/Toyota are several thousand more for the same car.
Nepros and KoKen tools (Japanese,jewel like)

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:48 pm

Starfish wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:29 pm
7eight9 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:20 pm

A used Toyota Century (flagship item) would be superior to a budget new item.
And you would know this... how?
From wikipedia?
Japan’s new era: Emperor Naruhito, and his Toyota Century - link - https://www.theglobeandmail.com/drive/r ... a-century/

I'm not sure what you want me to say? That I own a Toyota Century (I don't)?

My knowledge is based on what I've read about the car.

I personally would find it hard to believe that a $180,000 car - a car that the Japanese Emperor is driven in (even used), wouldn't be superior to a budget car.

Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:42 pm

7eight9 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:01 pm
whodidntante wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:47 pm
Starfish wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:55 pm
Basic Honda and Toyotas are low end.
Top of the line Hondas and Toyotas are low end.
Top of the line Toyota is app. $180,000. If that is low end then what is high end?

Link - https://www.cnet.com/toyota-century/
+1
Also how can a reliable and comfortable Camry that could last for 2 decades considered a low end car?
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:32 pm

randomguy wrote:
7eight9 wrote:
Starfish wrote:
In the Japanese market Toyota does produce what most anyone would consider a flagship car - the Century.

Toyota/Honda are definitely not low end cars. Kias, Hyundais, american cars, mitsubishi, and the rest all the cars that peple with no cash buy. Honda/Toyota are several thousand more for the same car.
And that's several thousand dollars down the drain... Point me to a car owner who keep his/her Toyota for over 15 years, I will point out 9 other owners who don't. Those would buy new car in the name of new technologies and safety features. Those techs and computer will be the reason that you'll have to visit dealership more often.

Gone are the days that you have a good old car that run forever. Remember the Chevy truck with a metal body? Nowadays if you keep your car for 10 years on average, pretty much any car 2010 or newer would last you 10 years no major issues. Paying several thousand dollars more for a boring Camry is just an old wives tales.

n00b

Post by n00b » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:31 am

I think the last product I was really impressed by was a 1-up bike rack.

Bicycle wheels in general fall in this category though some people get wrapped around the axle on hubs. (Says the person who really appreciates his DT-240S.) Actually, I think the hub might be the best example of something I put off buying for a long time due to the price but finally got off ebay (still expensive) and really enjoy using.

I'd also say that a high quality tent is a worthwhile investment.

Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:45 am

H-Town wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:32 pm
randomguy wrote:
7eight9 wrote:
Starfish wrote:

Toyota/Honda are definitely not low end cars. Kias, Hyundais, american cars, mitsubishi, and the rest all the cars that peple with no cash buy. Honda/Toyota are several thousand more for the same car.
And that's several thousand dollars down the drain... Point me to a car owner who keep his/her Toyota for over 15 years, I will point out 9 other owners who don't. Those would buy new car in the name of new technologies and safety features. Those techs and computer will be the reason that you'll have to visit dealership more often.

Gone are the days that you have a good old car that run forever. Remember the Chevy truck with a metal body? Nowadays if you keep your car for 10 years on average, pretty much any car 2010 or newer would last you 10 years no major issues. Paying several thousand dollars more for a boring Camry is just an old wives tales.
I was thinking similar to that when I bought my 2009 Sonata which now I regret. Yes, I saved a couple of thousands by not buying a Toyota, but I have spent more what I saved to change parts that usually don't go bad on Toyotas and Hondas. I also spent hours at mechanics instead of enjoying my weekends, let alone the frustration of seeing the check engine light coming off every now and then. I also now have so many unpleasant memories dealing with some mechanics who ripped me off for a job that wasn't done right and I had to argue to get them credited me back! A "boring" Toyota that lasts 10 years will be my next choice.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:11 am

BogleMelon wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:45 am
I was thinking similar to that when I bought my 2009 Sonata which now I regret. Yes, I saved a couple of thousands by not buying a Toyota, but I have spent more what I saved to change parts that usually don't go bad on Toyotas and Hondas. I also spent hours at mechanics instead of enjoying my weekends, let alone the frustration of seeing the check engine light coming off every now and then. I also now have so many unpleasant memories dealing with some mechanics who ripped me off for a job that wasn't done right and I had to argue to get them credited me back! A "boring" Toyota that lasts 10 years will be my next choice.
Sorry to hear that. It could happen to anyone and any car. But you may increase your odds if you choose an older version of Toyota. Stay away from twin turbo engine and all fancy techs until they have at least 7-10 years of track record.

azanon

Post by azanon » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:31 am

Two things quickly came to mind for me:

1. Blenders (choose Blentec or Vitamix)
2. (Home theater) Speakers - re Speakers, technology on these really hasn't change for years. If you buy a really nice set of mains (driven by a decent receiver) (I use Ascend Acoustics mains) and a quality, adequately sized sub (i use SVS), it can last you for decades, and you'll never have to replace it every 4 years or so like a PC. And with theater like sound, you'll save every time you decide to not go to the theater.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:51 am

Starfish wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:26 pm
Glockenspiel wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:49 am
mikemikemike wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:51 am
I cook a lot and a decent chef's knife is definitely worth the extra $$ (to me).
This is a good one and I agree. I always find it hilarious when well-to-do people have a block with 25 different low quality knives (probably $300 for the set) on their kitchen counter. A person really only needs 1-3 knives for cooking. Spend $70-$120 on a quality chef’s knife and it will be the knife you use 90% of the time. Hand wash and place back into it’s home. It will also last a lifetime if you take care of it.
Cooking efficiently in a house does not require expensive knifes. But expensive knives are very dangerous and slow down many operations. I cut myself periodically, and i am very happy I don't have an expensive knife.
I respectfully disagree that expensive knives are dangerous. Once you learn how to properly cut and hold your hands, expensive knives are way less dangerous than cheap, dull knives. The sharper the knife, the more efficient AND less dangerous it is.

WhippingPost

Post by WhippingPost » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:59 am

I don't know about used vs. new, but I will almost always pay more for quality. I subscribe to "Boots Theory" where it is actually cheaper to invest in quality:
"The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes' ‘Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness."

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:03 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:03 pm

Try dicing a tomato with a cheap dull knife compared to a sharp, decent knife. You likely will just crush it with a dull knife if it is at all ripe.

You don't need to spend a fortune to have a good, sharp knife. Most people (I think of my parents) have a block of knives and that haven't been sharpened in the 10 years since they got them.

I buy a few brands at discount stores or online (Henckels, Wusthof, Victoinox) and sharpen them myself once in a while. You really only need 3 knives (chef, paring, serrated). I use a chef's knife 90% of the time. A boning knife is also nice to have.
This is exactly the correct answer. Chef's knife, paring knife, and serrated knife for bread. The additional effort needed to cut with a dull knife is exactly what is dangerous about dull knives. Use a good German-made knife and the knife does all the work for you. Little chance of slipping and cutting yourself, especially if you know to how to place your fingers with your non-cutting hand.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:09 am

Starfish wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:14 pm

I have been cooking for more than 25 years or more and cutting stuff for 10-15 years more. I think I have a lot of experience.
Last time I cut myself pretty badly with a very sharp knife, so no, is not because the knife is dull.
In my opinion everybody who things is good to have sharp knives:
1. is a professional or very advanced hobbyist
2. doesn't really cook, or cooks occasionally very simple foods and takes a lot of time

Go in a Italian or French household and look at what knives grandma uses. My grandma had a decades old knife and cooked much better food and faster that all my friends with their Japanese or German steel and fancy pots who need a youtube video to make an omelette and can't open a can without a can opener :D
I have been cooking for my household for the last 10 years. We very rarely eat out at restaurants. I'm not like an advanced cook or even a hobbyist (I have small kids so no time to do anything advanced), but can make my way around a kitchen. I also have good quality German knives that are a joy to cook with. I go to my parent's house or in-law's house and help cook a meal during the holidays, and I'm constantly frustrated by the crappy dull knives they have. A few times I've cut myself or nearly cut myself using dull knives that have never been sharpened, at their houses. Try chopping even a bunch of vegetables for a large dish, and I can do it in 1/2 the time with good knives.

btenny

Post by btenny » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:15 am

I bought a slightly used off lease Lincoln MKX Reserve in January. It is 3 years old and had 19K miles. It is a wonderful luxury SUV. It has a lot of room for 5 people and a lot of luggage space. Plus the 18 way power and massaging seats are really nice and way better on long trips than any budget SUV. It rides soft (or can be set to sport mode if desired) and is quiet and has all the latest safety features. The stereo is like a concert hall. It cost me less than a new Subaru Outback or a dozen other new budget mid size SUVs. With choices like this I much prefer a slightly used luxury car over a new budget item.

Good Luck.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:17 am

Starfish wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:14 pm

I have been cooking for more than 25 years or more and cutting stuff for 10-15 years more. I think I have a lot of experience.
Last time I cut myself pretty badly with a very sharp knife, so no, is not because the knife is dull.
In my opinion everybody who things is good to have sharp knives:
1. is a professional or very advanced hobbyist
2. doesn't really cook, or cooks occasionally very simple foods and takes a lot of time

Go in a Italian or French household and look at what knives grandma uses. My grandma had a decades old knife and cooked much better food and faster that all my friends with their Japanese or German steel and fancy pots who need a youtube video to make an omelette and can't open a can without a can opener :D
I suspect "Grandma" was quicker and better because she had been doing it for 50 years and not because she had dull knives. I'm not going to argue that a guy that has barely cooked with $500 knives and pots is going to cook better than a seasoned chef with mediocre equipment.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:14 pm

btenny wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:15 am
I bought a slightly used off lease Lincoln MKX Reserve in January. It is 3 years old and had 19K miles. It is a wonderful luxury SUV. It has a lot of room for 5 people and a lot of luggage space. Plus the 18 way power and massaging seats are really nice and way better on long trips than any budget SUV. It rides soft (or can be set to sport mode if desired) and is quiet and has all the latest safety features. The stereo is like a concert hall. It cost me less than a new Subaru Outback or a dozen other new budget mid size SUVs. With choices like this I much prefer a slightly used luxury car over a new budget item.

Good Luck.
But statistically that car is gonna be a repair monster if you keep
It for the long haul. Unlike Subaru.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:27 pm

Glockenspiel wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:09 am
I have been cooking for my household for the last 10 years. We very rarely eat out at restaurants. I'm not like an advanced cook or even a hobbyist (I have small kids so no time to do anything advanced), but can make my way around a kitchen. I also have good quality German knives that are a joy to cook with. I go to my parent's house or in-law's house and help cook a meal during the holidays, and I'm constantly frustrated by the crappy dull knives they have. A few times I've cut myself or nearly cut myself using dull knives that have never been sharpened, at their houses. Try chopping even a bunch of vegetables for a large dish, and I can do it in 1/2 the time with good knives.
You can buy a manual knife sharpener for less than $15, an electric sharpener for more. Make it a present some day for the offending kitchens.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:40 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:00 am
- Building a computer case years ago, I decided to go with a generic power supply, since then, almost every game I play, the computer restarts itself after 30 minutes of playing or so (No, the processor is not overheating). After researching, I decided to go with a quality power supply to provide the PC with needed wattage. Ordered and waiting for delivery, hoping that should fix the issue forever.
I build myself a new computer every five or six years. There are some parts that I go exclusively high-end brands, PSU is one of them. Gotta go Gold rating or better. I also will only get RAM from Crucial or Corsair. And my GPU needs to be EVGA, too, not some Zotac or something.

I also need a good TV and sound system.

FrugalConservative

Post by FrugalConservative » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:57 pm

Redwing Boots- In particular Iron Rangers
Toyota Tacoma - Bulletproof reliability with top notch resale
Lifetime products-
Columbia Boots- Solid warranty and a great deal when bought on sale

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:18 pm

Golf equipment. I'd rather have a 2 or 3 year old Ping or Titleist club that a brand new club from a no name manufacturer.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:22 pm

travellight wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:02 pm
Quality over cheap? Fresh squeezed orange juice.

+1 on Nespresso as well.
Nespresso. +1

Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:49 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:22 pm
travellight wrote:

+1 on Nespresso as well.
Nespresso. +1
The Nespresso pods arrived yesterday, while I still had some leftovers from that knock-off brand. I made 2 shots (1 Nespresso and 1 from the Knock-off) and compared them. The result for those who might be interested:
- Nespresso is black. Can't see through the glass cup, knock-off brand coffee passes the light (think of a tea color in a glass cup)
- Nespresso streamed flawlessly, knock-off brand streaming was interrupted as the machine was struggling to push the water/coffee through the pod to outside
- Nespresso crema stayed till I sipped it off completely. Knock-off brand had some thin foam that sank in 10 seconds or less down the bottom of the cup
- Nespresso tasted like a dream! Crispy espresso with no bad aftertaste. Knock-off brand tasted like a burnt regular cup of coffee.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:49 pm

Practically any well kept flagship item used is going to be better than a new budget item. You should buy what’s appropriate for the situation and your budget.

I don’t really care if a Toyota is nicer than a Hyundai. If the budget only allows for a Hyundai and there is a need for a vehicle, you buy the Hyundai.

LinusP

Post by LinusP » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:52 pm

Pu239 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:54 pm
BogleMelon wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:00 am

That makes think, what kind of other products we would be better buying as flagship (even used, if one can not afford them new) better than buying a brand new budget version of the same product?
Contraceptives
Parachutes
Brake pads

...you get the idea.
Note, however, that in the case of items like these, buying used is not recommended. :wink:

yeahman

Post by yeahman » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:35 pm

The flagship will typically fetch a disproportionate premium. The best values are typically at the low-end of the high-end. E.g., iPhone XR, Galaxy S10e, Pixel 3a, 128GB MacBook Air, etc.

New releases also fetch a premium but older models are not necessarily better values. Just waiting a few months for a price drop on the latest model could score you a better product at similar prices to older models.

Refurbished items obviously present a better value than new. Non-certified used can be a crap shoot. I've gotten unbelievable value but also lemons.

rj342

Post by rj342 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:56 pm

Re high end used vs new but mediocre...
Very pleased with a high miles 2007 Lexus IS 350 I stumbled across ( a co-worker selling) vs same price for a generic used car w half the miles for same $$.

Re refurb electronics... I am perhaps too skeptical, but I spent 13 years in electronics manufacturing. I do NOT buy them. A refurb computer is not like a rebuilt engine or other mechanical item. Often warranty returns end up NDF... could not replicate the claimed problem to actually fix it... but the problem DID happen, as evidenced by a certain number of returns returning again. There are points of flakiness such as components that fail at a temp lower than normal, problem solder joints, connectors/sockets, etc. Nontrivial chance you buy a return thst passed an initial possibly cursory check, then was cleaned up and reboxed.

supalong52

Post by supalong52 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:23 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:50 pm
supalong52 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:32 pm
I would say almost anything from furniture to cars to suits, etc. is better as used high-quality than budget. Budget items are usually no-go for us. I'd rather pay a little more for quality, especially for an item we want to last. So for us, the question is usually is it worth it to buy new or is used OK.

Examples:

Furniture -- bought sofa, leather chairs, and dining chairs used. Bought dining table new because we didn't feel like renting a truck and lugging someone else's table back to our house.
Car -- bought last one new because we wanted Android Auto / Apple Car Play.
Suits -- bought used Canali and Zegna suits, but the fit was not 100% and could not get it altered to be 100%. But still better than some scratchy ill-fitting suit from Men's Wearhouse or someplace like that. Still re-sold those suits for at least as much as I paid for them.
Kitchen appliances -- bought cooktop, oven, and microwave as display units / refurb. Bought range hood new.
Where can you find used quality suits? Do you try them before you pay?
Styleforum and eBay (for more advanced buyers) are good places to look. I've been to retail stores to try things on and I know that a 38R Zegna Roma fit will fit pretty well. It's been a while since I've bought a suit so that may no longer be the case. But if you don't have a starting point like that, you're stuck relying on measurements.

ETA: Yoox also has good sales once or twice a year. You can usually return those items so less risk.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:47 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:49 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:22 pm
travellight wrote:

+1 on Nespresso as well.
Nespresso. +1
The Nespresso pods arrived yesterday, while I still had some leftovers from that knock-off brand. I made 2 shots (1 Nespresso and 1 from the Knock-off) and compared them. The result for those who might be interested:
- Nespresso is black. Can't see through the glass cup, knock-off brand coffee passes the light (think of a tea color in a glass cup)
- Nespresso streamed flawlessly, knock-off brand streaming was interrupted as the machine was struggling to push the water/coffee through the pod to outside
- Nespresso crema stayed till I sipped it off completely. Knock-off brand had some thin foam that sank in 10 seconds or less down the bottom of the cup
- Nespresso tasted like a dream! Crispy espresso with no bad aftertaste. Knock-off brand tasted like a burnt regular cup of coffee.
I’ve tried Pete’s coffee nespresso pods. Not good for drinking as expresso but can be used with Milk in a latte.

Also tried Trader Joes nespresso pods. Will use in emergency.

Favorite Nespresso is: Arpeggio (caffeinated and not), Volluto and ciocatino.

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:23 pm

Red Oxx luggage. I've flown hundreds of thousands of miles over the last eight years and this stuff is rock solid. I own both their Air Boss and Mini Boss bags.

The Air Boss is a full-size carry-on. The exterior materials are entirely heavyweight Cordura nylon, the zippers are YKK's largest model and every seam is double-stitched. This thing has fallen off the backs of pickup trucks in the jungle, been dropped in the Gulf of Thailand and has followed me all around the world. It's indestructible, this bag will outlive me.

The Mini Boss is it's smaller brother. Same construction but shrunk down to the size of an airline personal item. I use this for trips of under 3-4 days (though earlier this year I lived out of just this bag for an entire week in the Basque Country in Spain).

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:32 pm

Breville toaster oven (and other high quality toaster ovens).

CommitmentDevice

Post by CommitmentDevice » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:05 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:45 pm
CommitmentDevice wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:25 am
Used to buy cheap vacuum cleaners and they'd suck
Sounds like you bought a good vacuum then. :happy
Pun intended :wink:

Workable Goblin

Post by Workable Goblin » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:16 pm

WhippingPost wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:59 am
I don't know about used vs. new, but I will almost always pay more for quality. I subscribe to "Boots Theory" where it is actually cheaper to invest in quality:
It's cheaper, I think, only if you're really going to use the quality item all that much. If, for example, you have toast every morning, then a quality toaster makes sense; but if you don't like toast and have a yogurt parfait instead, then it wouldn't make much sense to buy an expensive toaster than you'll never use. Obvious enough, of course, but where things get interesting is when you're getting into something for the first time. I think it makes more sense to buy cheaply when you're just starting off with something--get the whatever that is just good enough to allow you to try it out--and then if you like it and actually do or use the stuff frequently then it's worth actually getting the quality version.

For example, in grad school I decided to learn how to cook. Instead of getting top-notch cookware, knives, etc. I got cheap Chinese junk, like a stock pot that developed a big dent after I dropped it or a knife that ended up having the blade snap off (don't worry--it was more funny than dangerous. I went to cut something and the blade folded back instead of cutting). But I learned that I really liked cooking in the process and really used the heck out of that cheap junk, so that when I later moved and had to get new equipment I knew that spending the money to get the very best was almost certainly worthwhile for me. If it had turned out that I hated cooking and only tried it a few times, though, the loss would have been minimal, unlike if I had started with the expensive, high-quality gear.