Warranty/Insurance for Solar Panels?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
krafty81

Warranty/Insurance for Solar Panels?

Post by krafty81 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:38 pm

Just realized the company that installed the rooftop solar on our house (we are not original owners) has gone out of business. Installed probably in 2013. Should I get extra insurance? Covered by homeowner? Service plan? I really don't know. All 24 panels working fine and I monitor online. Thanks.

quantAndHold

Re: Warranty/Insurance for Solar Panels?

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:57 pm

Your homeowners insurance should cover things like weather damage to the panels. The panels and inverter should still be covered by the product warranty. The only thing that won’t be covered is labor if something is defective and needs to be swapped out. Your warranty for labor was probably about to expire anyway.

Solar panels have long warranties because the failure rates for solar panels are extremely low, something like 0.05% over a ten year period.

I think my installer is out of business too, but I don’t really know, because I haven’t ever needed them for anything since they were first installed. Personally, I don’t worry about it.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:59 pm

krafty81 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:38 pm
Just realized the company that installed the rooftop solar on our house (we are not original owners) has gone out of business. Installed probably in 2013. Should I get extra insurance? Covered by homeowner? Service plan? I really don't know. All 24 panels working fine and I monitor online. Thanks.
See if you can get all of the original warranty information for the manufacturer's warranty. They should still cover the hardware parts of your system. For example, I have a standard 25 year warranty on my Panasonic panels and 12 year warranty (extendable to 25) on my SolarEdge panels. My installer included a 15 year labor warranty on their installation but even if they go out of business, the parts are still covered for the years specified above.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:54 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:57 pm
Your homeowners insurance should cover things like weather damage to the panels. The panels and inverter should still be covered by the product warranty. The only thing that won’t be covered is labor if something is defective and needs to be swapped out. Your warranty for labor was probably about to expire anyway.

Solar panels have long warranties because the failure rates for solar panels are extremely low, something like 0.05% over a ten year period.

I think my installer is out of business too, but I don’t really know, because I haven’t ever needed them for anything since they were first installed. Personally, I don’t worry about it.
+1

Solar panels from Voyager 1 are still functional after 40 years.

Your panels were probably made with newer technology and might just even longer.

Topic Author
krafty81

Post by krafty81 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:22 pm

Thanks for the info. I will check on my inverter warranty.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:42 pm

krafty81 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:22 pm
Thanks for the info. I will check on my inverter warranty.
What model panels and inverters do you have installed? I'm curious to what was popular in 2013 before the current wave of closures, mergers, and new companies.