pc remote viewing software like teamviewer?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
gips

pc remote viewing software like teamviewer?

Post by gips » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:30 pm

I'd like to provide support for an older, remote family member by seeing what they're doing on their computer when they have problems. I found teamviewer, free for personal use, has anyone used it in this fashion? anything else I should look at?

thanks,

p.s. just in case someone is tempted, let's just make the assumption that I don't want to spy on this person. I believe the way the software works is the remote user must actively grant me access by typing some sort of generated id.

bluebolt

Re: pc remote viewing software like teamviewer?

Post by bluebolt » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:36 pm

A free Zoom account should do the trick. Meetings are limited to 40 minutes for the free version.

https://www.zoom.us/pricing/

greg24

Post by greg24 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:37 pm

I use TeamViewer to help my parents remotely. Works well.

bltkmt

Post by bltkmt » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:37 pm

Chrome Remote Desktop works well for that.

blackholescion

Post by blackholescion » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:46 pm

gips wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:30 pm
I believe the way the software works is the remote user must actively grant me access by typing some sort of generated id.
You can add their computer as a computer you own and then can get in without having to have them give you a code. I have my parents computer set up this way and it's much easier that way since you don't have to deal with "what was that program again? How do I open it?"

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:17 pm

Teamviewer worked flawlessly for me accessing my MIL computer.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:21 pm

I use Teamviewer on a group of 50 computers used in TaxAide. It works fine.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

norwood

Post by norwood » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:37 pm

I use TeamViewer for this purpose, and it's been very reliable. It also supports two-factor authentication, which makes it a lot harder for anyone else to hijack TeamViewer to get into the target computer.

Windows 10 has a built-in "remote assistance" mode which does not require any additional software, but I think it needs the assisted party to send an invitation for every remote session.

LookinAround

Post by LookinAround » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:02 pm

I've been using Teamviewer for years to support multiple family computers across the US. It works great. BUT absolutely enable two-factor-authentication to prevent any hacks. (I like to use the Google Authenticator app for 2FA) Be SURE to save the activation and deactivation codes in safe places. In addition to the (rather long) alphanumeric activation code, I also save a snapshot of the activation QR code. Having the QR is easiest should you later want to enable Google Authenticator app on additional smart devices to work with your Teamviewer account.

Dragline

Post by Dragline » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:28 pm

If you're both using Windows PCs, there is an application in Windows called Quick Assist that works very well for this purpose. I've only ever used it on two Windows 10 PCs, but a quick search says it's been available since Windows XP.

It's pretty simple to use, especially for the person receiving assistance. They just launch the application and enter a code that will be provided to you (the person providing assistance) when you start the session.

mpsz

Post by mpsz » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:33 pm

TeamViewer was breached in 2016 and covered it up until earlier this year, use caution.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... from-2016/

I like the idea of using Google Hangouts, Slack, Zoom, etc. I use these three at my day job all the time and they work great.