Vanguard statements - spouse gets combined statement while I get separate account statements

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Trice

Vanguard statements - spouse gets combined statement while I get separate account statements

Post by Trice » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:09 am

My spouse and I each have rollover and Roth IRA brokerage accounts with Vanguard. All accounts have been around for at least a couple years. However, when she gets her statements, she receives one combined statement listing both accounts, while I get two separate statements, one for each account.

Obviously it's not a terribly important issue, but does anyone know why this might be?

wriley4409

Re: Vanguard statements - spouse gets combined statement while I get separate account statements

Post by wriley4409 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:32 am

I have never been able to make any sense out of Vanguard's computer systems - and I work in I.T.! My wife and I even get a different user interface when we each sign on to their web site.

EyeDee

Re: Vanguard statements - spouse gets combined statement while I get separate account statements

Post by EyeDee » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:33 am

It might be just a quirk of Vanguard's computer systems. I am not sure about brokerage accounts. But if your accounts were traditional Vanguard non-brokerage mutual fund accounts, the following would be true:

"Since hers are combined she can only have 25 mutual funds in the two accounts combined. You on the other hand can have 25 funds in each of your two accounts. Not that you would want that many in either case.

The other thing to be aware of is that her transaction confirmation statements might say Rollover IRA even though the transaction is in the Roth IRA. Because the account would be listed as Rollover IRA / Roth IRA and the "/ Roth IRA" part does not always show."

Of course none of this might be true of brokerage accounts but it might be a possibility as it holds for non-brokerage Vanguard mutual fund accounts.

Hopefully, someone else can verify the situation for brokerage accounts.

Trice wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:09 am
My spouse and I each have rollover and Roth IRA brokerage accounts with Vanguard. All accounts have been around for at least a couple years. However, when she gets her statements, she receives one combined statement listing both accounts, while I get two separate statements, one for each account.

Obviously it's not a terribly important issue, but does anyone know why this might be?
Randy

Topic Author
Trice

Post by Trice » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:39 am

EyeDee wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:33 am
It might be just a quirk of Vanguard's computer systems. I am not sure about brokerage accounts. But if your accounts were traditional Vanguard non-brokerage mutual fund accounts, the following would be true:

"Since hers are combined she can only have 25 mutual funds in the two accounts combined. You on the other hand can have 25 funds in each of your two accounts. Not that you would want that many in either case.

The other thing to be aware of is that her transaction confirmation statements might say Rollover IRA even though the transaction is in the Roth IRA. Because the account would be listed as Rollover IRA / Roth IRA and the "/ Roth IRA" part does not always show."

Of course none of this might be true of brokerage accounts but it might be a possibility as it holds for non-brokerage Vanguard mutual fund accounts.

Hopefully, someone else can verify the situation for brokerage accounts.
All of our accounts are brokerage accounts, and none have more than three funds/investments in them, and that includes the Vanguard federal money market settlement fund. In fact, our assets are identically invested in hers and mine: almost all target-date funds.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:40 am

We had them hook everything together in a Household statement. There are still some separate statements but I ignore them since it is all on the HH statement.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Pops1860

Post by Pops1860 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:42 pm

wriley4409 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:32 am
I have never been able to make any sense out of Vanguard's computer systems - and I work in I.T.! My wife and I even get a different user interface when we each sign on to their web site.
+1 :D Exact same for wife and I as well. I think somehow she got "upgraded" to a new interface design, and somehow I have avoided having the same done to me. :)

We (both) have also avoided being "upgraded" to a brokerage account format so far as well. So far, so good, on this front.
The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those who do not have it. ~George Bernard Shaw

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:53 pm

If you want a combined statement for your accounts, call Vanguard to request It but not sure if they will do it.

After reading the thread below about Vanguard Household Statements, I called Vanguard three times in March to request a HH statement for my/spouse’s individual/joint accounts. First two reps said they were no longer offered. Third call was to my Flagship rep (who is a senior long-time rep) who said same but did manage to get one combined statement for my two individual accounts via special request. She could not add spouse’s accounts (even though I have full transact rights) or joint accounts as the account registrations are not identical.

Very disappointing as it takes more time to download all the individual statements. Doubly disappointing as this was around the same time Vanguard announced discontinuation of the Advantage accounts.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=273203&p=4429833#p4429833

Pops1860

Post by Pops1860 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:39 am

Pops1860 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:42 pm
[+1 :D Exact same for wife and I as well. I think somehow she got "upgraded" to a new interface design, and somehow I have avoided having the same done to me. :)

We (both) have also avoided being "upgraded" to a brokerage account format so far as well. So far, so good, on this front.
Oops....

Should have kept my mouth shut. Today, my interface has magically changed to the updated version, identical interface to my wife's now. Maybe someone from Vanguard pays more attention to these Bogleheads posts than I realized?? :shock:

Hope they stopped reading before they got to my brokerage account comment. :?
The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those who do not have it. ~George Bernard Shaw

ruhigste

Post by ruhigste » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:34 am

I use the download button on the Vanguard family accounts page. It is important to me that all accounts and their funds download, because I use the resulting file in an Excel spreadsheet used to re-balance to our target allocation. We converted to brokerage accounts, and so far, I still have the family accounts page. My wife's Login did not have it prior to the brokerage conversion, and still does not.

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:59 am

ruhigste wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:34 am
I use the download button on the Vanguard family accounts page. It is important to me that all accounts and their funds download, because I use the resulting file in an Excel spreadsheet used to re-balance to our target allocation. We converted to brokerage accounts, and so far, I still have the family accounts page. My wife's Login did not have it prior to the brokerage conversion, and still does not.
I download directly to Quicken so I have no use for the Vg download button.

BUT you made me look. :D

On my login I get DW's taxable account and our joint taxable account plus my ROTH. I have authority on all three accounts. On her login my ROTH does not show up presumably because she does not have authority on that account. Is this consistent with your experience? (All accounts are brokerage accounts.)
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.