Recommendations for "Backup" software

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DanL

Recommendations for "Backup" software

Post by DanL » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:25 pm

Hi Bogleheads,

I need your recommendations for a good software backup program that I can put on automatic. I have WD Smartware which is Western Digitals proprietary software which is problematic for whatever reason to use. WD support has been great BTW but there has got to be a better way to do backups without tech support calls.

I am curious about the backup programs you use that are for PC. I have Windows 7 Professional on my desktop and I have a X1 lenovo with Windows 10 for traveling.

I like to have an encrypted drive like the WD progran that password protects it or maybe I need to use the WD unlocker for that. Right now I have three portable drives: 1. My Passport (WD) , 2. My Passport Ultra (WD) and 3. a new T5 Samsung SSD which I have not used yet.

I appreciate any recommendations or advice you offer.

Thank you in advance for your time and help!

mrmass

Re: Recommendations for "Backup" software

Post by mrmass » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:32 pm

Veeam has a free backup software It works well. At work we use Veeam but the enterprise versions https://www.veeam.com/windows-endpoint- ... -free.html

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:57 pm

I have used Macrium Reflect Free Edition for years. It is straightforward to use, and better yet, it worked when I really needed it, when my hard disk crashed and had to be replaced.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Free for home use. More complicated functions do require purchase. But the basic version is fine.

gips

Post by gips » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:15 pm

In the early part of my career I ran a datacenter and since then, have been very careful with backups. But now I keep all my files in the cloud and use boxcrytor for encryption. I’m running chromium, so no apps to install.

Not for everyone but I’d guess works well for the majority of users.

confusedinaz

Post by confusedinaz » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:23 pm

I use CloudBerry Backup:

https://www.cloudberrylab.com/backup/windows.aspx

I back up my data to an external HD and Backblaze B2 (which is very inexpensive) using CloudBerry. It works quite well and their support is decent if you run into issues.

nesdog

Post by nesdog » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:01 pm

I have a Dropbox account, and a local client of that program. I set all of my documents to local archive of DB which then syncs in the cloud.
Insert clever comment here...

WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:09 pm

I use Backblaze which is a very good cloud back up. I had used Crashplan for years however they stopped supporting individuals and only focus on companies now. They recommended Backblaze and I like it very much.
Twitter: @JAXbogleheads | EM: JAXbogleheads@gmail.com

Elric

Post by Elric » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:23 pm

I use Acronis for a couple of years, since my previous backup provider decided to concentrate solely on the corporate market, and have been happy with it. I've had to restore a couple of lost files and have checked it a couple of times to make sure the backups were there.
"No man is free who works for a living." | Illya Kuryakin

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:53 pm

I've never understood this obsession with "backup software". Simple is best.

All my current 205 GB of data is in a single directory (well actually 3: Pictures, Music, Data).

I simply copy that directory to my USB drives, and I have a specific schedule to do it. Simple, and reliable: I can see exactly what is in the backup. Nothing encrypted or buried in proprietary software.

I don't back up my programs. In the event of a crash they can all be reinstalled, as none are very esoteric.

I also eventually realized that I don't need to have everything on the computers all the time. Videos, for instance. They live on a couple of different USB drives, and I fetch from them when I need to.

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:37 pm

obgraham wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:53 pm
I've never understood this obsession with "backup software". Simple is best.

All my current 205 GB of data is in a single directory (well actually 3: Pictures, Music, Data).

I simply copy that directory to my USB drives, and I have a specific schedule to do it. Simple, and reliable: I can see exactly what is in the backup. Nothing encrypted or buried in proprietary software.

I don't back up my programs. In the event of a crash they can all be reinstalled, as none are very esoteric.

I also eventually realized that I don't need to have everything on the computers all the time. Videos, for instance. They live on a couple of different USB drives, and I fetch from them when I need to.
+1 on backing up data to a USB drive.

The bulk of my data is not on the C:Drive, but on a permanent D:Drive. Much of it is pictures, about 300gig, with only the current store folder getting anything new.

About every 6-9 months I do a CloneZilla image of the C:Drive. Although replacing the OS from scratch is not hard, replacing all the software, some of which might no longer be freely available, could be a pain. I personally like to stick with the software whose functions I know and understand, and hate re-learning because someone has new whiz-bang idea on how to use/display it.

I've dabbled with using FreeFileSync for data updates to the USB storage device, but most of my backups are just file-copies to a named-dated-backup folder to the USB device. I have 4 devices, one of which is in the safebox at the bank.

A NAS backup drive would be nice, but I've haven't bit yet. Plus you still need to backup the NAS. It's that old stick with what you know works mental thing.

blackholescion

Post by blackholescion » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:39 am

I use FreeFileSync. It has some good options like only back up differences, keep left (source) and right (backup) in sync (if deleted from right, delete from left), always keep whatever is on the right so if you accidentally delete that file from 5 years ago, it’s still on the backup. Delete on the backup if you delete from the source (the inverse of always keep).

It doesn’t have a scheduler so you schedule it through OS directly. Relatively simple.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:05 am

After a bad experience with a proprietary file image being corrupt - not able to be read by the proprietary software that created it I too have gone with the simple drag and drop method described by abgraham above. Windows recognizes files that haven't changed when I drag over entire directories (and my large photo directories I have organized by date anyway so those I only need to copy over latest).

On a side note in case you are not aware - Win7 goes end-of-life in January so time to start thinking about upgrading or if you will be willing risk using EOL OS.

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:36 am

I use Sync.com. It can be installed on up to five personal computers or devices - Windows, MacOS, Android, or iOS.

When you create a new file or make a change to an existing file, at home or on the road, the new or changed file is instantly backed-up to their secure, zero-knowledge encrypted cloud storage and also synced to each of your other computers or devices (or not, as you wish, for each computer or device, as you indicate in your Preference setup).

Sync.com also maintains your file version history. If you accidentally erase all or part of a file, or you just want to retrieve a previous version, you can go to your cloud account and retrieve any past version.

I also maintain periodic local backups to USB drives.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:19 am

blackholescion wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:39 am
I use FreeFileSync. It has some good options like only back up differences, keep left (source) and right (backup) in sync (if deleted from right, delete from left), always keep whatever is on the right so if you accidentally delete that file from 5 years ago, it’s still on the backup. Delete on the backup if you delete from the source (the inverse of always keep).

It doesn’t have a scheduler so you schedule it through OS directly. Relatively simple.
I use this strategy to keep a local back up (I also have a separate cloud backup). The versioning is an important feature. Without versioning all one really has is a mirror -- better than nothing but not a true backup.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

scout80

Post by scout80 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:35 am

If you have an Office 365 subscription it includes 1 TB of OneDrive storage with options to purchase more. If you simply put your files on your OneDrive and enable the sync feature you will have an automatic backup to the cloud and it won't cost any more than you are already paying for your Office 365. You can also add/remove folders from what is synchronized.

https://products.office.com/en-US/compa ... :primaryr1

Topic Author
DanL

Post by DanL » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:38 am

Thank you everyone for sharing your best strategies!

I will check them all out!!!

Ged

Post by Ged » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:52 am

I'm not a fan of local backups. What happens if there should be a break in, flood or fire in your home?

Offsite storage or the cloud is far more secure.

I use Arq for backups, and keep an account going at both Google and Amazon (belt and suspenders) as well as a local backup. Arq provides the imaging, encryption and transfer to the cloud, as well as a local backup I keep. I also burn a copy of my tax files and Keepass file to a CD each year and store in a safe deposit box.

Since Arq is a versioning backup, you can recover older versions of your files. Critical if something becomes corrupted or you get hit with Ransomeware.

Arq is licensed at $50 per user so you can use it on multiple machines.

S_Track

Post by S_Track » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:03 am

I have been using 2nd copy for years both at home and the office. I like it because you can configure it to use a simple file copy from source to destination. That way you can access your files in the destination (USB or NAS as an example) at any time without going through a restore process. You can setup multiple profiles for different backup jobs and it does support versioning.

www.secondcopy.com

flyphotoguy

Post by flyphotoguy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:05 am

I use dropbox for important files, digital copies of files too so they span all my devices. Then 2 separate physical USB HDD (different brands and replaced every 4/5 yrs) for photos/videos/files/etc which I backup every 6 months. Been doing the 2 physical drive for more than a decade and dropbox maybe back in 2008/2009. Oh when destroying old drives I run a drill through the disk, pour water in and let it corrode outside for a while before bringing them for ewaste. Check out dropbox and see if their services works for you, I've been using their free one for a long time. Microsoft have their OneDrive too which is the same I think but I have no experience with that.

Winston19

Post by Winston19 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:22 am

I have been very happy with Backblaze. I used to use Crashplan until they ended their individual plans. I also backup locally to a hard drive using the built in software in Windows 10.

mancich

Post by mancich » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:34 am

I have both an SSD and a traditional HD in my desktop PC. My main data files are on the SSD, but I back them up to the traditional HD, an external HD, and to Google Drive in the cloud. Once per week, and I think it is fine. I only modify a few files a week anyway.

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:57 am

As I read through this thread, I see a lot of my previous evolving thought processes on backups over the last decade. I've tried periodic manual backups to USB, local backups via both Time Machine and - when it was offered for free - Crashplan, making the most out of various "sync" services for backup (even though they technically aren't actual "backups"), combo of free open-source backup with cloud backup, and finally paid online cloud backup.

For my workflow, I've settled on this backup strategy:
* Time Machine local backup (easy, came with my Mac, only investment required was an external drive)
* Backblaze online cloud backup (has gone up recently to $60/yr per computer, not bad) - they'll even send a hard drive if needed and if you send it back when you're done you'll end up only having paid for shipping costs
* A few select extra-valuable files encrypted and stored on multiple cloud services just as extra redundant backup

The above is very easy to maintain, not expensive, and I believe would preserve what I really want to keep in a large number of scenarios of things that can go wrong. If I'm working on a big project and something goes wrong, I'll likely have very recent versions of my work in two places without having to have thought much about backups.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:20 pm

S_Track wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:03 am
I have been using 2nd copy for years both at home and the office. I like it because you can configure it to use a simple file copy from source to destination. That way you can access your files in the destination (USB or NAS as an example) at any time without going through a restore process. You can setup multiple profiles for different backup jobs and it does support versioning.

www.secondcopy.com
+1

I've been using this for many years (since hearing about it here on this forum). I setup multiple backups, daily, weekly
archiving monthly and quarterly. It's backed up onto mutliple drives including offsite.

In addition to my files, I've setup a number of my clients. When corruption is found; restoration is easily done by zeroing in on the affected file(s). It's not a mirror and I don't want one. If there are minor issues a simple restore works fine. If there are major problems, the system might need the operating system restored (and the programs). Then just the data files are copied.

It has saved many "lives".

MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:26 pm

I've use the CobainSoft freeware for years.

https://www.cobiansoft.com/

dcdowden

Post by dcdowden » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:45 pm

I started using IDrive for cloud based backup recently after my son recommended it. They allow you to backup multiple devices to one account. They provide 3 TB of encrypted storage for their basic entry level fee. They also have a special 'express service' where they send you a hard drive to quickly backup or restore a computer. It took me over a week to complete the initial backup given my limit of 5 Mbps upload speed and 550GB of stuff to back up, but now an incremental backup takes less than 10 minutes typically.

I used to use synchbackfree and a portable drive, but I only did an update a few times a year. Every couple years I would take a drive to our safety deposit box to insure we had offsite storage as well. I was going to buy another larger drive, but tried IDrive because it was cheaper, is offsite by definition in the cloud, and it has been very convenient to run at least once a week.

I also use Google Photos for storage and sharing of photos and videos, so that is another easy way to back up that material.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:53 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (software).

See this thread: Win 10 image backup software?, which also includes a suggestion to use the built-in backup utility for Windows 7 (my recommendation in that thread).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:34 am

Another vote for iDrive cloud backup. It's fully automatic, the subscription includes multiple computers and gives a daily report on files backed up or any errors. It also includes file sync in the same subscription price so I can access frequently used files on all of my computers.

I have a local backup hard drive from Western Digital which came with WD Smartware. It does not seem to provide any logs so it's hard to know if it is working. Not great software and I don't think it's supported any more by WD. I like the idea of using both cloud and local backup because you know, it's backup. And cloud restoral can be slow. I have used Syncback in the past so may try that again.

I have tried Win10's File History, but it's also got a confusing interface without much in the way of logs.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:11 pm

Elric wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:23 pm
I use Acronis for a couple of years, since my previous backup provider decided to concentrate solely on the corporate market, and have been happy with it. I've had to restore a couple of lost files and have checked it a couple of times to make sure the backups were there.
I recently installed Acronis and am greatly impressed with its capabilities. I installed Acronis because I have been feeling uneasy about not being able to do a complete system restore and Acronis provides this. I am not using their cloud, just a USB drive. My offsite (cloud) backup is provided by Crashplan. (I suspect that is your "previous backup provider [who] decided to concentrate solely on the corporate market.") Microsoft's OneDrive, with it's ability to go back to previous versions of a file, also provides some comfort.

I like that Acronis can restore a complete system, installed software included, AND get you the latest user data at the same time as well (if you want to). That's better than being forced to go back to a year-or-more-old version you may have set up upon initial purchase of the computer then reinstall and reconfigure lots of software. I did check out that the USB is bootable and that I was able to restore a file. I'll have to trust that a complete system restore works!

Anyway, I too can recommend Acronis. I'm still exploring all its capabilities and my also subscribe to their cloud backup and ditch Crashplan, but Crashplan is, I think, more flexible and convenient for day-to-day backup.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

azumagaoka

Post by azumagaoka » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:54 pm

I also like Arq a lot and backup everything both online with Arq and locally with a few external hard drives.

Caveat: in addition to the one-time software purchase, you will need to pay for your own storage like Google Drive, Dropbox, or Arq's own cloud storage. So it would typically cost $50 for the software and a monthly/annual fee from whatever cloud storage plans you choose.

Wirecutter also covers a great deal about backup options--both online and in your home. https://thewirecutter.com/search/?s=backup
Ged wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:52 am
I'm not a fan of local backups. What happens if there should be a break in, flood or fire in your home?

I use Arq for backups, and keep an account going at both Google and Amazon (belt and suspenders) as well as a local backup. Arq provides the imaging, encryption and transfer to the cloud, as well as a local backup I keep. I also burn a copy of my tax files and Keepass file to a CD each year and store in a safe deposit box.

Since Arq is a versioning backup, you can recover older versions of your files. Critical if something becomes corrupted or you get hit with Ransomeware.

Arq is licensed at $50 per user so you can use it on multiple machines.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:17 pm

I use a script I made that uses the built-in robocopy command in Windows. I use full disk encryption on the source and backup drives. I have two external hard drives that I exchange every major update so that one backup is always offsite. This covers loss of data due to theft, fire, and failure of a single backup drive. I keep mine in a locked desk drawer at work, but you could also keep it at a bank or at a friend's house.

Code: Select all

set options=/s /r:0 /w:0 /mt:1
set destination=v:\backup

robocopy s:\photos %destination%\photos %options%
# repeat the above robocopy command for as many folders as you need.  
This is mainly for stuff that seldom changes like photos, tax returns, home videos, treasure maps, etc. For stuff that changes often I use Google Drive, and also take snapshots of that to my long term archive.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:30 pm

I run a robocopy script inside PowerShell to copy files from one PC to another. Actually, I have 2 scripts - 1 for each direction. Each PC is also backed up to the cloud using SpiderOak One - which is very secure in terms of cloud storage.
whodidntante wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:17 pm
I keep mine in a locked desk drawer at work, but you could also keep it at a bank or at a friend's house.
There is no expectation of privacy in the workplace. If something bad happens at work, they'll open your desk and find the drive. Then, they'll claim that you've copied proprietary data to that drive and request you to decrypt or destroy the drive. Your backup and possibly your job is no more.

A safe deposit box is your best option.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:35 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:30 pm
A safe deposit box is your best option.
So I need my house to burn down on the day I get fired to lose data.

Just joking, you're right. :sharebeer

fogalog

Post by fogalog » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:38 am

+1 for Arq. It really is the best consumer backup software I have ever seen and worth every penny, in my opinion. Watch out for special offers from the Arq website.

I would suggest both a local copy - local hard disk, TimeMachine (or rsync whatever the equivalent is in Windows these days) - as well as a copy in the cloud (Arq). I use backup primarily for photographs / videos of the kids and some documents. Almost everything else is easily replaceable.

Good luck!

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:42 am

whodidntante wrote:
I use a script I made that uses the built-in robocopy command in Windows. I use full disk encryption on the source and backup drives. I have two external hard drives that I exchange every major update so that one backup is always offsite. This covers loss of data due to theft, fire, and failure of a single backup drive. I keep mine in a locked desk drawer at work, but you could also keep it at a bank or at a friend's house.

This is mainly for stuff that seldom changes like photos, tax returns, home videos, treasure maps, etc. For stuff that changes often I use Google Drive, and also take snapshots of that to my long term archive.
if a file is corrupted (source file), what keeps this script from overwriting the good copy with a corrupted version on the destination device?
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:50 am

jebmke wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:42 am
whodidntante wrote:

if a file is corrupted (source file), what keeps this script from overwriting the good copy with a corrupted version on the destination device?
This backup solution doesn't cover that failure in a robust way. I do have three copies of the file so maybe one of them will still be good if I notice in time. However, I do have the file history functionality of windows. Since these are mostly long term archives it doesn't really come up for me often.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:04 pm

Ged wrote:

I'm a fan of both:
  • On-site supplies convenient restore. It also has less of a dependency on infrastructure (working internet) and robust processes (how often do you swap out backup media to an off-site place like a bank safety deposit box?)
  • Off-site supplies all the obvious things (local, aka on-site, disasters).
Automation is the key!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

mountainsoft

Post by mountainsoft » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:58 am

Ged wrote:
If you generate any significant data, such as recording TV shows or editing video, cloud backups would take far too long (I easily generate 10-25GB per day). Also, cloud backups usually only backup selected folders, which may or may not include the data you need after a crash. Finally, if your system crashes you have to reinstall Windows and all of your applications before you can restore your data.

I use Macrium Reflect to create an image backup on an external USB hard drive every night. This protects my data if my main drive should fail, or if I accidentally delete a file. It also makes it easy to restore a file when I need to.

To protect against major disasters like fire, flood, theft, tornado, or a computer virus, I swap my backup drive with a second drive I keep in the safe deposit box at the bank about once a month.

As a third layer of protection, I burn my most important files (photos, financial records, etc.) to BluRay data discs about once every year or two.

When my hard drive fails (and it has in the past), I can simply install the new drive and restore the image to the new drive (even newer larger drives) and be up and running again within 30 minutes or so. All of my programs, personal data, and program settings are just the way I left them.

I keep sensitive data like financial records in encrypted volumes on my hard drive. That gets backed up as part of the full image backup. So even if someone takes my backup drive they still don't have access to my sensitive data.

Ged

Post by Ged » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:16 pm

mountainsoft wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:58 am
Ged wrote:
If you generate any significant data, such as recording TV shows or editing video, cloud backups would take far too long (I easily generate 10-25GB per day). Also, cloud backups usually only backup selected folders, which may or may not include the data you need after a crash. Finally, if your system crashes you have to reinstall Windows and all of your applications before you can restore your data.
Yes I agree if you are doing extensive video editing cloud backup may be impractical for the video data depending on how long you retain the data and what your cost constraints are.

10-25 GB per day is however easily feasible. Data rates are in the 5 min per GB or less range for many services.

Your assumptions about folder selection are not correct. Furthermore you are not generating a versioned backup. Manually backing up off-site once a month is much more likely to lose data than a continuous backup.
Last edited by Ged on Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RYD

Post by RYD » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:25 pm

Does anyone have experience with Google BackUp?

mountainsoft

Post by mountainsoft » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:47 pm

Ged wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:16 pm
10-25 GB per day is however easily feasible. Data rates are in the 5 min per GB or less range for many services.
The upload speed of my own internet connection is the limiting factor, not the max speed of the backup service. My upload connection averages around 5-6Mbps, which would take almost nine hours to upload 20GB of data.

https://downloadtimecalculator.com/Uplo ... erhead=0.9
Ged wrote:
Your assumptions about folder selection are not correct.
https://help.backblaze.com/hc/en-us/art ... ze-Backup-
"With the exception of your operating system, applications, program files, or temporary files. "

If all you care about is your personal data, I suppose that's OK. I don't have the time to reinstall Windows and all of my applications, then have to reconfigure all of my previous settings in each program. Then I would need to go through a long download process to retrieve my data from an online backup service.

With an image backup I can restore EVERYTHING to the state it was when I backed up, and I don't have any ongoing subscription fees.
Ged wrote:
Furthermore you are not generating a versioned backup.
Correct. I've used version backups in the past and never had a reason to pick different versions. All I need are multiple copies of my data.
Ged wrote:
Manually backing up off-site once a month is much more likely to lose data than a continuous backup.
My system automatically backs up nightly to an attached USB hard drive. This protects my data in most cases. However, you are correct if I had fire or other major disaster, I could potentially lose any changes over the last month. It's remote, but agree it is a possibility.

Ged

Post by Ged » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:30 am

mountainsoft wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:47 pm
Ged wrote:
The upload speed of my own internet connection is the limiting factor, not the max speed of the backup service. My upload connection averages around 5-6Mbps, which would take almost nine hours to upload 20GB of data.

https://downloadtimecalculator.com/Uplo ... erhead=0.9
I see the issue here. I live in a pretty technology intensive suburb to a major metropolis with multiple service providers offering FTTP. My cable service's minimum data rate is 100 Mbps with a 'community friendly' plan for seniors and other low income groups at 30 Mbps presumably so they can stream multiple HDTV channels at once. Personally I pay a bit more for a service tier which is 300 Mbps. There are even higher tiers but I don't have access to any data source that would benefit from these.

Yes, for video data and your internet connection online backup would be impractical.