Recycling - questions and answers

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dm200

Recycling - questions and answers

Post by dm200 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:45 pm

Today, we are all bombarded with so much "stuff" that ends up as trash.

it would be nice, for many reasons, if we could find ways of "recycling" things we do not need, as well as using things others discard.

Here are some things I have either done or observed:

1. Our neighborhood email list often has "curb alerts" for usable things the person no longer wants.
2. Dog owners use the plastic bag from the delivered daily paper for dog poop
3. One local church has a food pantry distribution and welcomes donations of plastic or paper grocery bags
4. That same local church has a thrift shop (free) and welcomes donations of clothing and household goods (dishes, pots/pans, etc.)
5. I wear clothes until my wife says that they are "finished"

I wish I could find ways of not trashing many things -

such as empty prescription drug plastic containers

Any other ideas and questions??

livesoft

Re: Recycling - questions and answers

Post by livesoft » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:58 pm

Bring your own plastic container to restaurants to use as a "To Go" box. Just keep them in your car or backpack after they are cleaned.

Bring your own bag(s) to stores or don't have items bagged in the first place.

I don't drink coffee, but I think I heard that coffee joints allow one to bring their own non-disposable container.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:13 pm

Probably after the Zombie Apocalypse people will be mining landfills for useful items and materials.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Scrapr

Post by Scrapr » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:03 pm

was just in the MJ Dispensary this afternoon. They had a large barrel (55 gal) filled almost to the top with containers. Stoners love the environment. I didn't inhale. MIL wanted some cream for arthritis. Sunday is Senior discount day. It is pretty funny to see her in there

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:05 am

My grandparents used to unload a lot of their old stuff on us kids. My dad called it "a junk redistribution scheme."

SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:39 am

dm200 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:45 pm
Today, we are all bombarded with so much "stuff" that ends up as trash.

it would be nice, for many reasons, if we could find ways of "recycling" things we do not need, as well as using things others discard.

Here are some things I have either done or observed:

1. Our neighborhood email list often has "curb alerts" for usable things the person no longer wants.
2. Dog owners use the plastic bag from the delivered daily paper for dog poop
3. One local church has a food pantry distribution and welcomes donations of plastic or paper grocery bags
4. That same local church has a thrift shop (free) and welcomes donations of clothing and household goods (dishes, pots/pans, etc.)
5. I wear clothes until my wife says that they are "finished"

I wish I could find ways of not trashing many things -

such as empty prescription drug plastic containers

Any other ideas and questions??
I concur, OP. On the theory of "One man's trash is another man's treasure", try these:
Freecycle.org
Craigslist.org

As for the empty prescription drug bottles, they make great spice rack bottles..... ; )
For those who enjoy cooking and like trying out lots of different spices/mixtures - whether from Penzey's, the local supermarket's bulk aisle, etc. - pill bottles (once cleaned/dried/etc. of course) are PERFECT. Just sayin'.... :happy
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:19 am

With my mom passing away in 2016 and my sweetie passing away last year, I've had to deal with a lot of recycling.

1) Is it something that I will use in the future? Save it.

2) Is it something that a relative would want? My sweetie was a tool junkie. After almost 42 years of marriage, you might imagine all the great Sears Craftman, etc. tools that he had accumulated. Lots of stuff for working on cars, doing yard work, tools for electronics, etc. His two nephews and his niece's husband get first dibs on those. My husband loved his torque wrenches, for example. One of his nephews was thrilled to get them.

3) Donate to Value Village, Bridging, or Goodwill. Value Village and Bridging are Twin Cities charities, but look for local charities and find their web page on what they will accept.

4) Save it for the yearly spring curbside pickup. My city has a yearly pickup where you can put out old furniture, carpets, refrigerators, etc. If it's something that someone might want to use, you put it out a couple of days before the pickup date and it's fair game for anyone to take. Check to see if something like that is available in your area.

5) Save it for the annual city fundraiser used book sale. Other organizations in your area might have a similar sale (hospitals, churches, etc.).

6) Take it to recycling - for us that's Hennepin County Recycling. Check out your local recycling. You might be surprised at what they take. My husband had a lot of cleaners, adhesives, lubricants, etc. in the garage that I would never use. I'll take them to the recycling center and if they are still good, the recycling center will make them available to anyone else to take home. Also, if clothes are still good enough to donate, I'll take them to Value Village. If they are beyond that, Hennepin County will take them and recycle them.

Sometimes you have to be persistent. I decided to donate our sleeping bags this spring. I took them to Value Village, but the person said they wouldn't take them because of the possibility of bed bugs. So I took them to Hennepin County Recycling. Although they would take clothes, these were too large to take. So I tried Goodwill. They took them. Yay.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

retired recently

Post by retired recently » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:02 am

My son has been volunteering at ReStore, which is run by Habitat for Humanity. I had never gone in there before but went in recently to pick him up. There are a lot of things in there that would certainly be useful for some people...things that I have seen tossed into the garbage before, so if you have a ReStore nearby, consider seeing what type of things they will accept and where possible, donate your things there.

It is my understanding that they take any profits and use them to purchase materials, etc for the homes they build.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:09 am

In our area, the Salvation Army will arrange to pickup whatever donations are ready. They ask that you give them some vague estimate of what you'll have, and how much, so they can be ready.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:30 am

I recycle and reuse/redistribute wherever possible. I am now focused on “reduce” so I can have less to recycle/reuse/redistribute.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:36 am

livesoft wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:58 pm
I don't drink coffee, but I think I heard that coffee joints allow one to bring their own non-disposable container.
Our general store where many locals gather to drink coffee and talk offers a reduced "refill price" if you bring your own cup.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:39 am

SrGrumpy wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:05 am
My grandparents used to unload a lot of their old stuff on us kids. My dad called it "a junk redistribution scheme."
We save some containers, cardboard, etc. in a box. The grandchildren use them to make crafts. My grandson likes to make "robots".

We also save hats, inexpensive jewelry, ties, etc. The kiddos use them for dress up play.

PoemMan

Post by PoemMan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:26 pm

Our approach(es):
Reusable bags for groceries
Reusable mesh bags for store bought produce
We belong to a CSA, so they make it easy to minimize materials use (by us) for the weekly shares
Use insulated water bottles in lieu of store bought plastic bottles
Recycle everything possible (subject to local garbage/recycling pickup company’s guidelines)
Donate any reusable house remodeling items to the local Habitat Store
As empty nesters, give back items either left behind or donate
Evaluate purchases for real need

Grandson loves his grandpa’s stuff, can’t wait to repurpose more!

veindoc

Post by veindoc » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:31 pm

retired recently wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:02 am
My son has been volunteering at ReStore, which is run by Habitat for Humanity. I had never gone in there before but went in recently to pick him up. There are a lot of things in there that would certainly be useful for some people...things that I have seen tossed into the garbage before, so if you have a ReStore nearby, consider seeing what type of things they will accept and where possible, donate your things there.

It is my understanding that they take any profits and use them to purchase materials, etc for the homes they build.
I have bought so much from Restore. Old paintbrushes, furniture, light fixtures, outlet plates to replace cracked ones. I try not to make too much trash and also try to purchase others “trash” to limit inflow of plastic.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:24 am

Check with "thrift" or free shops for thing they have a demand for. It might surprise you. One volunteer at a local thrift shop told me that small, plastic food type containers - normally trashed by most of us - after just being rinsed out are in big demand.

As I previously mentioned, the neighborhood email list is very successful in finding use for "curb alert" things folks are getting rid of.

Sometimes my wife notices stuff we can use on the curb as well.

Some jurisdictions (ours does) has a separate "mixed recycling" weekly pickup. So, we not have three containers that go, for pickup, each week. One is trash, one is mixed recycling, and the third is yard waste (leaves, garden/shrub clippings, grass, etc.) Unfortunately, though, they no longer want or will take glass for recycling :( You can, however, drop off glass at a central site.

I noticed recently that our neighborhood grocery store now is back offering the choice of paper or plastic bags. We can, then, pick the type of bag that best fits our situation - or bring our own.