Additional inspections other than general inspection for new construction home in Orange County, FL area?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
synthfan23

Additional inspections other than general inspection for new construction home in Orange County, FL area?

Post by synthfan23 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:59 am

I'm meeting with my realtor's recommended inspector this morning and having him do a general inspection. This is all my Realtor says this is all she suggests for new construction. The cost is $275--seems a little high, but he's very thorough and highly ranked. The downstairs is block/stucco. Upstairs is woodframe. He's licensed to do a Termite inspection. But I'm hoping the Builder has already performed one, treated the property, and can provide me with documentation certifying when the inspection was done and when the property was treated. The builder is Meritage Homes. And unfortunately this is an inventory home we went under contract on just a month or two before construction was complete. And so we didn't have a chance to have our own inspector do periodic inspections. Though I hear Orange County, FL has probably already done several inspections throughout the build process and that they're pretty thorough.

The Builder will do a walkthrough inspection with me and my wife later this month. But that's the Builder's inspection. I'll have my own inspector's report in hand, accompanied by my Realtor who enjoys finding flaws.

Anyway, for Central FL residents, is it worth the cost to pay for any other type of inspection? Like radon, etc? Thanks in advance as I'm off to meet the inspector shortly.

sheepla

Re: Additional inspections other than general inspection for new construction home in Orange County, FL area?

Post by sheepla » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:02 am

$275 sounds very low to me for an inspection.

Topic Author
synthfan23

Re: Additional inspections other than general inspection for new construction home in Orange County, FL area?

Post by synthfan23 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:06 am

sheepla wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:02 am
$275 sounds very low to me for an inspection.
Good to know. It is with:
https://housemaster.com/

gs2offroad

Post by gs2offroad » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:07 am

$275 is cheap for Fla. A 3rd party will see things you and the builder overlook. Money well spent.

dalbright

Post by dalbright » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:17 am

If you are not handy or up to date personally on building codes and design its money well spent, and a worthwhile investment if you find a good inspector. They will see things you would not. 275 is cheap out here at least in the midwest. Can't speak for the need for radon testing in your region but look at houses in the neighborhood. If they have radon exhaust vents then you'd probably need one too...

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:44 am

Third party inspections are good. I hope they include wind mitigation. Trust but verify, right? Last thing you want is a Cat 4 or 5 barreling through, and not have confidence your home is able to hold up.
Too soon old, too late smart.

J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:50 am

In New Jersey the town inspects all construction. They can stop construction if something isn't up to code. I paid $250 for an inspection 35 years ago and it was a waste of money, they can't see what is behind walls or under ground.

If the inspector doesn't climb on the roof tell him to get lost.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:05 am

In SC, a home inspection costs about $400 to $500.

I used them early on when I bought rental property, but soon found their recommendations to be worthless for my needs...but that was buying 40 year old basic property.

In the course of new construction there are about 6 inspections the county does here.
Foundation (verify footing rebar, footing size, etc.)
Open floor (verify floor joists sizing, joist hangers, etc.)
Window/house wrap/siding (inspection outside facade for code compliance)
All rough (big one....verify wood framing, plumbing, electrical are up to code)
Insulation (verify wall insulation done properly)
final inspection (verify finished electrical and plumbing)

In florida, I'm sure they also inspect for hurricane ties, stainless steel materials for that climate, etc.

The extra inspection is just added insurance you get a good product.

I mean....there are code compliance and then there is workmanship. Code compliance is "yes, the electrician used an arc fault/GFCI 20 amp circuit for the washing machine circuit. But workmanship is more like the sheet rock guys didn't over mud the corners and screw up the baseboard.

I find that the inspectors never really offer "workmanship," review...just code compliance.

Topic Author
synthfan23

Post by synthfan23 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:03 am

KSOC wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:44 am
Third party inspections are good. I hope they include wind mitigation. Trust but verify, right? Last thing you want is a Cat 4 or 5 barreling through, and not have confidence your home is able to hold up.
Thanks to all. I’m here now with the inspector.
He advised not doing a wind mitigation
inspection because it is new construction and
meets or exceeds code.

I’m pretty sure he’s qualified to offer that as
an add-on, so it’s nice not to need one or be
oversold.

He also does Termite inspections. But said I
won’t need one because the Builder should
provide me with a one-year bond, that treatments
these days should last for around 10 years. It’s
concrete block downstairs and woodframe
upstairs. He said termites rarely get that high up.

Topic Author
synthfan23

Post by synthfan23 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:30 pm

So, the inspection went very well. Just over two hours. While the inspector (he's good!) found a number of things that need fixing, they were mostly minor. Overall he said the Builder did a great job compared to many other new construction homes he's inspected. I'll be receiving his report later today. It will go to me, my Realtor, and the Builder (so they can begin repairs ASAP).

J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:06 pm

synthfan23 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:30 pm
It will go to me, my Realtor, and the Builder (so they can begin repairs ASAP).
The realtor recommended an inspection on a new house built by the seller. Realtors work for the seller and only the seller.

Topic Author
synthfan23

Post by synthfan23 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:56 pm

J G Bankerton wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:06 pm
synthfan23 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:30 pm
It will go to me, my Realtor, and the Builder (so they can begin repairs ASAP).
The realtor recommended an inspection on a new house built by the seller. Realtors work for the seller and only the seller.
Nice try, no cigar. Unless there's something unique about Florida. Or this is an article of personal faith. My realtor has no affiliation with the Builder's rep and clearly behaved like a Buyer's Agent. Perhaps Buyer's Agents aren't a recognized entity in FL--in which case you may be technically correct or partially so. Or not at all--please elaborate.

My realtor earned her commission spending several months showing us various properties that interested us. None were her own listings. Called BS on a lot of various Builders' design center markups. Negotiated more off the list price than the builder-to-seller incentives in a hot market. And got several things thrown in that this particular builder wanted to charge for: fridge, washer/dryer, and whole-house blinds. Further, she'll be attending our walk through with the Builder, inspection report in hand, ensure everything on the punch list is fixed. And may even find things the inspector may not have--she's got a great eye for that and enjoys the game. I certainly wouldn't trust a Builder's inspector.

If on the other hand you mean to say never work with a Builder's on-site rep then I'd agree--I've seen the difference. Many will rob you blind given the chance. Clearly a Builder's rep has the Builder's best interests in mind and not the buyer's. I never thought to use an independent Realtor for new construction until a close friend suggested it. Seemed counter intuitive. Turned out to be a huge value add. And a path I'd recommend to anyone who can find a great realtor with high reviews.

J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:42 pm

synthfan23 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:56 pm
My realtor has no affiliation with the Builder's rep and clearly behaved like a Buyer's Agent. Perhaps Buyer's Agents aren't a recognized entity in FL--in which case you may be technically correct or partially so. Or not at all--please elaborate.
Negotiated more off the list price than the builder-to-seller incentives in a hot market
If the realtor got a percentage of the sale price she was working for the seller and only the seller. Enjoy you new home.

Topic Author
synthfan23

Post by synthfan23 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:11 pm

J G Bankerton wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:42 pm
synthfan23 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:56 pm
My realtor has no affiliation with the Builder's rep and clearly behaved like a Buyer's Agent. Perhaps Buyer's Agents aren't a recognized entity in FL--in which case you may be technically correct or partially so. Or not at all--please elaborate.
Negotiated more off the list price than the builder-to-seller incentives in a hot market
If the realtor got a percentage of the sale price she was working for the seller and only the seller. Enjoy you new home.
Ok. Thanks.

J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:18 pm

synthfan23 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:11 pm

Ok. Thanks.
My son lives in Florida and his home insurance is more than his property tax, this is Pinellas county. Is it the same with you?

nolesrule

Post by nolesrule » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:21 pm

J G Bankerton wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:18 pm
synthfan23 wrote:

Ok. Thanks.
My son lives in Florida and his home insurance is more than his property tax, this is Pinellas county. Is it the same with you?
Not the OP, but that was true when I lived in Pinellas. We moved away about 5 years ago.

Topic Author
synthfan23

Post by synthfan23 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:24 pm

J G Bankerton wrote:
synthfan23 wrote:

Ok. Thanks.
I wish. Not in Orange County.

J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:40 pm

synthfan23 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:24 pm
J G Bankerton wrote:
synthfan23 wrote:

Ok. Thanks.
I wish. Not in Orange County.
You must be in a no evacuation zone. He is in zone D. I worry every hurricane season.