What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
ps410302

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by ps410302 » Tue May 28, 2019 8:00 pm

Wow, very similar card strategy here.

6% AMEX Blue Cash for groceries

5% PenFed for Gas

5% Amazon Prime for all Amazon purchases PLUS stream movies, music, videos - $100/yr

4% Uber visa, no fee, for all Restaurants and Uber rides

3% Alliance signature visa first year for anything + everything; 2.5% forevermore - $95 fee pays for itself over any 2% no-fee card if you spend $1600/mo or more even after the 3% first-year rewards

2 cards to get purely for meeting rewards spending: in the first, no-fee year: Capital One Savor - $500 and Chase Sapphire Preferred - $505 net AFTER fee...then cancel!

All of this is NO HASSLES with no waiting for rotating categories or restrictive travel - pure cash

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Wed May 29, 2019 8:44 am

ps410302 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:00 pm

5% PenFed for Gas

5% Amazon Prime for all Amazon purchases PLUS stream movies, music, videos - $100/yr

3% Alliance signature visa first year for anything + everything; 2.5% forevermore - $95 fee pays for itself over any 2% no-fee card if you spend $1600/mo or more even after the 3% first-year rewards

2 cards to get purely for meeting rewards spending: in the first, no-fee year: Capital One Savor - $500 and Chase Sapphire Preferred - $505 net AFTER fee...then cancel!

All of this is NO HASSLES with no waiting for rotating categories or restrictive travel - pure cash
The new AF increase in the Alliant (I think its actually $99) is a downer unless you have a really high amount of non category spend. That is a $19,800 break even (vs 2%) and after you consider common special category spend (Food, gas, travel, online shopping). That's even tougher when you look at cards which allow you to choose a category (ie Huntington Voice can get 3% on utilities) or buy gift cards at grocery/office stores and gas stations.

It really nerfs that card after year 1 unless you can push mortgage/rent/auto payment/est taxes through a CC without fees of 2%+.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed May 29, 2019 10:59 am

spammagnet wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 5:00 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:14 am
Attention: IHG Point Breaks for June, July, and August 2019 go live today, 28 May 2019 at 12 noon. See https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/content ... ointbreaks.
Is this a regular event?
It happens every three months. The beauty of the yesterday event is that you can get discounted-points hotels for the summer months of June, July, and August.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

JackoC

Post by JackoC » Wed May 29, 2019 4:40 pm

teamDE wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 12:08 am
^>5% is pretty tempting, but i don't think its worth the hassle of putting money into Merill Lynch. I like my nice clean portfolio how it is. The $2500/qtr limit also reins in some of the potential.

Another option for my wife is the Fidelity Rewards card with flat 2%. She has a Fidelity brokerage account she could put the rewards into. Hrmm.
To clarify, the BOA/Merrill Preferred Rewards Visa gives you 3.5% on dining/travel and 2.625% on everything else with no spending limit, at the 'Platinum' asset level, ie $100k average daily account balances at BOA/M over the previous 90 days. I also got a $500 bonus to sign up for that card recently.

The BOA/Merrill Cash Rewards Visa gives you 5.25% on one at a time of several select categories, which you can change monthly, for up to $2,500 in spend per quarter, 3.5% at warehouse stores (no limit), 1.75% everything else (hence not used if you have PR card). Like the first card, this is at the Platinum level, 75% bonus on top of the nominal reward levels of the card. I've had this card for years (BOA not Merrill relationship) and didn't get any bonus. We'll use it for restaurants till we semi-retire our Amex BlueCash at the end of this account year (not put on the $6.5k spend needed to get to 5% grocery, gas, pharmacy next year), then for grocery and use the PR card at 3.5% for restaurants.

And they often offer additional bonuses to transfer money to Merrill so that's not an uncompensated hassle. I got $1500 bonus for account transfers above the max amount mentioned in the ads, which was $900 for $200k transfer. I did two accounts. For more assets than I did there might have been a bigger bonus still. I'll probably switch the non-IRA one at least back to Vanguard eventually, but that was enough to overcome my reluctance to add complexity and hassle, which I do recognize as a valid concern. I don't think that particular offer is good right now, but it might come back.

A new 5% gas card is a possibility not sure if worth it. This thread is lot of *bonus* strategy rather than cash back, but different cash back %'s at the margin can be pretty small change compared to bonuses (eg. in years w/o big road trips we spend maybe $800 on gas, 5% v 2.625% is $24, not saying that's nothing but...). I also just recently signed up for AMEX Hilton points card with 100k point bonus. But, navigating the differences in the value of points is another level of complexity. Also, I think people sometimes ignore that if points pay for some upgrade nominally 'worth' $500 *that the person would not have paid $500 cash for*, then it's not really worth $500 to them. And the reason gift cards for specialized chains can trade at big discounts is that the lack of flexibility to spend on anything deducts from real value. Skimming over various airline point plans in reaction to this thread, I don't think they are worth it *to me* compared to 5.25% grocery, 3.5% Costco/restaurant/travel, 2.625% everything else, in actual cash. Again, upfront bonuses might make that a different story for a given card, ongoing rewards I'm talking about.

DrGrnTum

Post by DrGrnTum » Wed May 29, 2019 7:14 pm

spammagnet » Tue May 28, 2019 4:57 pm

MikeG62 wrote: ↑Tue May 28, 2019 9:08 am
... The Ink cards don’t work for me as they are business cards. ...
There is little to prevent you from opening business cards as a sole proprietor, using your SSN as tax ID. It is a common approach. Chase really doesn't care as long as you pay for what you spend. An added advantage is that business cards typically don't affect your personal credit report.
I am just curious to find out from people if they have been successful in signing up for business cards without really having a “business”. From everything I read on the blog sites, the banks are inquiring back to people and asking them to provide proof of the business. My brother, who does have an actual business was asked by Chase to provide some tax return information on his business.

I myself applied and was automatically approved for a Amex business card a year ago. I don't have a business. From what I read, Citi, Chase and BofA are now asking for proof.

They also seem to be looking for people to show substantial earning from their business. Just stating that you sell items on Craig List does not seem to fly.

Just curious to hear success stories.

teamDE

Post by teamDE » Wed May 29, 2019 8:35 pm

Got the Amex today. First two purchases:

1. $31 for sushi via Grubhub
4x points for Dining category
1x bonus point for an Amex Offer promo for GrubHub
$10 credit for my $10 monthly credit on a few places including GrubHub

So i got tasty sushi and 155 points for $21

2. $106 for a Dell dongle for work
1x regular points
1x bonus point for an Amex Offer promo on Dell
10% rebate via eBates portal which links and converts to MR points

So i got a nifty dongle, 212+1060points for free since work is reimbursing me.

I could see this getting out of control.

international001

Post by international001 » Thu May 30, 2019 3:06 pm

ps410302 wrote:

5% PenFed for Gas

IT seems a lot of optimization for each category, but you must have a very thick wallet. I wonder if you can you do mathematically better? ;-)

I am curious about the Alliance card. But after all those expenses, what else do you spend up to $1600? You may also look into BofA cards with Preferred Honors to optimize a few more percentage points

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu May 30, 2019 6:27 pm

DrGrnTum wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:14 pm
spammagnet » Tue May 28, 2019 4:57 pm

MikeG62 wrote: ↑Tue May 28, 2019 9:08 am
... The Ink cards don’t work for me as they are business cards. ...
There is little to prevent you from opening business cards as a sole proprietor, using your SSN as tax ID. It is a common approach. Chase really doesn't care as long as you pay for what you spend. An added advantage is that business cards typically don't affect your personal credit report.
I am just curious to find out from people if they have been successful in signing up for business cards without really having a “business”. From everything I read on the blog sites, the banks are inquiring back to people and asking them to provide proof of the business. My brother, who does have an actual business was asked by Chase to provide some tax return information on his business.

I myself applied and was automatically approved for a Amex business card a year ago. I don't have a business. From what I read, Citi, Chase and BofA are now asking for proof.

They also seem to be looking for people to show substantial earning from their business. Just stating that you sell items on Craig List does not seem to fly.

Just curious to hear success stories.
My experience with 2 of the business cards chase asked for proof of business name. I supplied an IRS letter that had business tax ID.

teamDE

Post by teamDE » Fri May 31, 2019 1:33 pm

I'm surprised at how much value i'm finding in the Amex Offers and eBates (which is linked to Amex and converts to MR points).

Got 10% (1000pts) at Dell with Ebates plus bonus point (Amex Offer) (225pts) on a $100 dongle
Got $30 off (Amex Offer) and 10% (1750pts) at Sunglass Hut with Ebates plus 213 base poins on $200 sunglasses
Extra point (Amex Offer) plus my $10/month credit on GrubHub

Peanuts compared to signup bonuses, but that's pretty good! I got Amex Gold 3x on travel for booking my thanksgiving plane tickets. Achieved my signup bonus in 2 days! :shock: :?
Last edited by teamDE on Fri May 31, 2019 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri May 31, 2019 1:42 pm

ps410302 wrote:

According to their rewards page, ironically, uber rides only get you 2%. I use this card for restaurants so am looking at their page a lot.

I could be wrong....I don't do ride shares.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

msi

Post by msi » Fri May 31, 2019 1:47 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:42 pm
ps410302 wrote:

According to their rewards page, ironically, uber rides only get you 2%. I use this card for restaurants so am looking at their page a lot.

I could be wrong....I don't do ride shares.
Yeah, it's actually better to use Blue Cash Preferred for Uber, now that they added the 3% transit category.

giesen5

Post by giesen5 » Fri May 31, 2019 4:50 pm

My strategy is to meet as many signup bonuses as possible. Keep the card for a year (except Citi AA) and either cancel or downgrade to a no-fee card. Currently racking up American Airlines miles through the Citi AA card while that option is still available. Opening a card, meeting spend, and closing 3-5 months later. Rinse and repeat.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri May 31, 2019 5:15 pm

giesen5 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:50 pm
My strategy is to meet as many signup bonuses as possible. Keep the card for a year (except Citi AA) and either cancel or downgrade to a no-fee card. Currently racking up American Airlines miles through the Citi AA card while that option is still available. Opening a card, meeting spend, and closing 3-5 months later. Rinse and repeat.
Hmm... what do you mean about the AA miles with Citi AA card "while still available"?
Is Citi cutting the cord with AAdvantage?
(Did I miss something above?)

Thanks.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:25 pm

giesen5 wrote:
... Currently racking up American Airlines miles through the Citi AA card while that option is still available. ...
Are AA miles more valuable than others, or convertible to something more valuable than other approaches?

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:35 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 5:15 pm
giesen5 wrote:
Hmm... what do you mean about the AA miles with Citi AA card "while still available"?

Thanks.

RM
I have no insight into Citi AA going away. I can tell you, they are definitely cracking down beyond the normal limitations. I have had the AA card many times. I waited 2 years and recently applied again (credit 820+, no changes in anything) and was denied for an odd reason that I won't get into.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:11 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:35 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
giesen5 wrote:

Thanks.

RM
I have no insight into Citi AA going away. I can tell you, they are definitely cracking down beyond the normal limitations. I have had the AA card many times. I waited 2 years and recently applied again (credit 820+, no changes in anything) and was denied for an odd reason that I won't get into.
So you are referring to new bonus points, and not getting points by *using* the CitiCard?
It looked like you were referring specifically to "racking up American Airlines miles through the Citi AA card as what might not still be available...

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:16 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:11 pm
michaeljc70 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:35 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
giesen5 wrote:

Thanks.

RM
So you are referring to new bonus points, and not getting points by *using* the CitiCard?
It looked like you were referring specifically to "racking up American Airlines miles through the Citi AA card as what might not still be available...

RM
I was referring to opening a new account to get bonus points.

hale2

Post by hale2 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:46 pm

It must be a recent change. I got the AA personal in January and the AA business in March. I was at 10/24. It had been almost 2 years since I churned them. I know I won't be able to get them again for 24 months after I cancel them.

FourWallsofFIRE

Post by FourWallsofFIRE » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:15 pm

My wife and I double team travel hacking and are loving Chase and SW cards right now.

My Card 1) Chase Sapphire Preferred

Wife Cards
1) Chase Sapphire Reserve
2) Chase Business Ink
3) SW Normal Card (Forgot name)
4) SW Business Card

We currently have something like 200,000 points total AND the SW Companion Pass, allowing us to get BOGO plane tickets with SW.

Absolutely love the flexibility of the Chase cards and cheap plane tickets for both of us with SW.
Matt | | | -It doesn't matter how much money you make, it matters how much you save.

giesen5

Post by giesen5 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:13 am

hale2 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:46 pm
It must be a recent change. I got the AA personal in January and the AA business in March. I was at 10/24. It had been almost 2 years since I churned them. I know I won't be able to get them again for 24 months after I cancel them.
I've had 16 AA cards (business and personal) over the past 24 months. There are mailers for AA cards that do not contain "once in 24 months" language, this allows you to get multiple cards. Just google it, you will see more information. This has been going on for awhile, continuing to amass miles and waiting for it to end.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:23 am

Just got back from a family vacation - stayed in a VRBO house rental. When we were at the supermarket and ready to pay, my wife looked at me and said, "I brought the food card as I knew we'd be buying things at the grocery store" (food card is our Amex Preferred Cash card - 6% CB at the grocery store). This from someone who has previously shown little interest in CC rewards. I guess my years or teaching her and finally paying off. :happy
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:38 am

giesen5 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:13 am
hale2 wrote:
I've had 16 AA cards (business and personal) over the past 24 months. There are mailers for AA cards that do not contain "once in 24 months" language, this allows you to get multiple cards. Just google it, you will see more information. This has been going on for awhile, continuing to amass miles and waiting for it to end.
I'm curious where you are seeing this and how you know it isn't restricted to 24 months. I've opt/out pre-screened so I don't get cc invitations in mail.

balbrec2

Post by balbrec2 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:09 pm

Amex bonvoy for free night, other (reward points)
Amex preferred cash for groceries and gas, other (cash back)
Chase ink cash for office supplies internet and cell phones, other (cash back)
Chase bonvoy boundless for free night and other. (Platinum Bonvoy status) This is a nice perk (rewards points)

Have other store cards but these are the ones I normally carry.

If you're going to use a credit card for convenience, make it work for you.

yeahman

Post by yeahman » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:53 pm

NYCwriter wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 1:28 am
Discussions about Chase Ink etc, are making me a bit envious. I might look into this one, although half my job is as a writer, so partially self-employed (not a proprietor).

The only card I've opened in the last few years is 5% Target Redcard, lol. But that's because a new Target opened up one block away from me in Manhattan, and their prices for household essentials beats the local CVS, Walgreens, grocery stores and often Amazon. I use their order/ship to store & pickup service regularly as it's convenient and if I'm not happy with something, returns are easy.

Amazon Prime Rewards Visa (Chase) This is almost a no-brainer if you shop at Amazon regularly, as it's easy to apply the bonus to purchases. But it'd also be a no-brainer to not buy crap from Amazon you don't need. :D
Chase Ink Cash offers 5x at Staples which sells Target gift cards. Chase Freedom always has a 5x at Amazon quarter which can be used to buy Amazon gift cards. Chase points are worth at least 1.5x if you have a Sapphire Reserve and redeem points for travel. That's why I no longer use my Target and Amazon cards. Also, Target has a 10% off gift card promotion every December, which is the best way to save at Target.

yeahman

Post by yeahman » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:19 pm

The only cards I actually use are the Chase Sapphire Reserve and whatever I'm trying to get a bonus for at the moment. The CSR is only used for the travel insurance. Even 5% back cards don't interest me since a bonus easily beats that. By my calculations, if I apply for a new card every 3 months, it'll be something like 8 years before I run out of worthwhile bonuses and need to settle for lowly 5% bonuses. And by then I'm sure there will be more cards for me to churn.

I do keep an Amex Platinum and Marriott for the benefits. I will probably add a Hyatt too. Any other cards worth keeping just for the benefits? Hilton doesn't seem like a good deal especially after today's devaluation of their resort credit.

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:29 pm

Ketawa wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:22 am
Bfwolf wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:31 pm
IngognitoUSA wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:55 pm
Leesbro63 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:52 pm
IngognitoUSA wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 12:46 pm
Bank of America gives $500 for $3k spend
Details please?
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-ca ... edit-card/
I got denied by this card and now figure I'm basically a persona non grata at all the major issuers except Amex and Citi. I've had 48 cards in the last 5 years so easy to figure why. I think I'm gonna apply for an Amex biz platinum in August and then basically go off the schneid for a year or 2 and let things reset. Maybe even get under 5/24 and grab some Chase cards!
I was also denied for this card. The letter gave two reasons: too many new accounts, and not enough of an existing relationship with BoA (checking/savings/brokerage). I don't have any BoA products right now. Maybe I'll retry if the Merrill Edge brokerage bonus increases, I transfer my assets, and open a checking account.

I was also initially denied for a U.S. Bank Cash+ card and am waiting on reconsideration.

I'm currently at 8/24 and might need to slow things down for a while to let some of my newest accounts age.
Reconsideration actually worked! I now have the U.S. Bank Cash+ card, which will make the U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve available to me in the near future.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:58 pm

I removed an off-topic post and several replies regarding use of cash (not credit cards). The discussion was getting derailed.

Please stay on-topic.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

teamDE

Post by teamDE » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:15 pm

Dumb question. I just got an Amex Gold and added my wife as an additional card member on my account. This is good because now there's two people earning rewards on the account and only one annual fee. However, what if she instead applied for her own Amex Gold in order to get her own sign up bonus. If she did that, could we still pool points? Can you add someone as an additional card holder if they already have that card on their own?

giesen5

Post by giesen5 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:54 am

JBTX wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:38 am
giesen5 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:13 am
hale2 wrote:
I'm curious where you are seeing this and how you know it isn't restricted to 24 months. I've opt/out pre-screened so I don't get cc invitations in mail.
I know it is not restricted because I continue to earn sign-up bonuses. I've had 16 cards and P2 has had 12, so well over 1 million miles earned.

bck63

Post by bck63 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:38 am

As I had previously posted, I hated credit cards for a long time. But now using Fidelity VISA, getting cash back into our brokerage account, and of course paying the balance off in full.

I already posed about that in this thread. But what I didn't factor in was the MMF interest on the float. That could be over $100 per year. So in total we may be earning between $700-$1,000 annually using this system.

I'm sold. :sharebeer

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:51 am

yeahman wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:19 pm
...By my calculations, if I apply for a new card every 3 months, it'll be something like 8 years before I run out of worthwhile bonuses and need to settle for lowly 5% bonuses. And by then I'm sure there will be more cards for me to churn.
This was possible 10+ years ago. However, many of the banks now look at number of CC's opened in the last year or two and will deny people who have opened more cards than the tripwires they have set. Said another way, churning is not as easy as it was in the past.

FWIW, I was denied Capital One Venture card in the fall of 2018 because they said I had opened too many credit cards "recently". I think I was at 5/24 so they may use a similar threshold as Chase.

Good luck getting all those cards.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:48 am

Delta Amex seems to be offering some decent bonuses right now. $195 fee for Platinum (not waived first year). I am not eligible for Gold.

I've never found any decent award flights with delta for international biz class. Typically it's 200,000 miles+ one way ! I don't look at other routes much, but I am curious if others have found decent Delta availability.

Hawaiian Airlines also has a 60K miles offer card. I don't know much about this airline, but I am interested in flights from the West Coast/Hawaii to Australia/NZ in Premium economy or Biz Class. How is Hawaiian airlines when it comes to award or regular flights to these destinations ?

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:16 am

SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:48 am
Delta Amex seems to be offering some decent bonuses right now. $195 fee for Platinum (not waived first year). I am not eligible for Gold.

I've never found any decent award flights with delta for international biz class. Typically it's 200,000 miles+ one way ! I don't look at other routes much, but I am curious if others have found decent Delta availability.

Hawaiian Airlines also has a 60K miles offer card. I don't know much about this airline, but I am interested in flights from the West Coast/Hawaii to Australia/NZ in Premium economy or Biz Class. How is Hawaiian airlines when it comes to award or regular flights to these destinations ?
Delta doesn’t have an award chart anymore so it will be next to impossible to find “decent” value on business class.

Delta does have some great economy sales—you can fly domestic for 5k points 1 way or Europe for 15k-20k 1 way.

dbr

Post by dbr » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:19 am

US-Aus/NZ via Hawaii can sometimes be a good work around for unavailability of award seats and also a good travel break. Hawaiian can be booked using AA miles or Delta miles as well as their own.

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:52 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:16 am

Delta doesn’t have an award chart anymore so it will be next to impossible to find “decent” value on business class.

Delta does have some great economy sales—you can fly domestic for 5k points 1 way or Europe for 15k-20k 1 way.
Even when Delta had an award chart, I almost never saw availability in international biz class. The premier airlines such as Air France/KLM, VS rarely had any seats available via Delta's site even when they had some available via their sites. So dynamic pricing on those routes means largely going from no availability to ridiculous points redemptions.

What about 'Premium Economy' availability for international travel ? Are those seats available ? [ Although Delta gives those seats different names]

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:11 am

Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:52 am
Jags4186 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:16 am

Even when Delta had an award chart, I almost never saw availability in international biz class. The premier airlines such as Air France/KLM, VS rarely had any seats available via Delta's site even when they had some available via their sites. So dynamic pricing on those routes means largely going from no availability to ridiculous points redemptions.

What about 'Premium Economy' availability for international travel ? Are those seats available ? [ Although Delta gives those seats different names]
If it doesn’t show up on Delta’s site you need to:

1) confirm that it is indeed saver award space on the partner carrier
2) call Delta with all the information (flight #, time, day, carrier, etc.)

Where Delta makes it difficult is that you can book any flight with points on Delta. Therefore every single day will show availability and “lowest price” doesn’t mean saver.

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:29 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:11 am
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:52 am

If it doesn’t show up on Delta’s site you need to:

1) confirm that it is indeed saver award space on the partner carrier
2) call Delta with all the information (flight #, time, day, carrier, etc.)

Where Delta makes it difficult is that you can book any flight with points on Delta. Therefore every single day will show availability and “lowest price” doesn’t mean saver.
So a partner biz award can be lower than the delta rate ? And one can even get (say) Flying Blue's occasional special sales to/from Europe at a lower rate ?

[I was just checking Seattle to Sydney/Auckland biz class awards flight, and one way tickets were 395K points!]

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:09 am

Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:29 am
So a partner biz award can be lower than the delta rate ? And one can even get (say) Flying Blue's occasional special sales to/from Europe at a lower rate ?

[I was just checking Seattle to Sydney/Auckland biz class awards flight, and one way tickets were 395K points!]
If Delta has award space on it’s own aircraft available, it generally will not let you redeem Skymiles for less than $0.01/pt. I’m going to guess that 395k point ticket costs in the neighborhood of $4100/$4200 (you will still pay taxes on that 395k award flight).

Again, there needs to be saver availability on a partner award for you to be able to book it. I am not a Delta expert but assuming they have similar rules to Star Alliance members if you find a saver award on a partner carrier you should be able to book it by calling Delta with the appropriate information. As mentioned, Delta does not have a published award chart so I am not able to tell you what they will charge for partner flights.

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:23 pm

dbr wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:19 am

US-Aus/NZ via Hawaii can sometimes be a good work around for unavailability of award seats and also a good travel break. Hawaiian can be booked using AA miles or Delta miles as well as their own.
I was doing a little bit of checking and it doesn't look like Delta is showing miles availability for Hawaiian Airlines rewards. Hawaiian Airlines business class awards aren't that cheap, but they aren't ridiculous 250-450K miles one way either like Delta. Delta really seems to be useless for international biz class travel in just about all sectors I've checked (Oceania, Asia).

But Hawaiian Airlines seems to have very few international partners for mileage awards either. The main benefit seems to be flying to Hawaii from the US and maybe to the South Seas.

How hard is to stop Hawaiian airlines miles from expiring if you cancel CC after 1 year ? Shopping purchases, transfers via Amex Membership rewards ?

NativeTxn

Post by NativeTxn » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:27 pm

After I left my old firm and started with a new company in April, I moved my old 401k to Merrill Edge and moved bank accounts to BOA so that I would be in the Platinum Honors tier of the Preferred Rewards Program and the plan was to use the BOA cash card on pretty much everything except gas and groceries. That would give about 5.75% on restaurants (3% category choice x 75% Plat Honor bonus + another 10% bonus for having money deposited into BOA checking account); and about 1.925% on everything else (1% x 75% + another 10%). Then continue to use AMEX Blue Cash Preferred for groceries at 6%. And use a random category card for gas most of the time since it seems like you can cover at least half the year with a Discover and Chase Freedom at 5% for Gas, but otherwise probably the Costco Card.

However, given that I am going to be moving the IRA into the new company's 401k (in order to be eligible for backdoor Roth's starting in 2020), I've decided to simplify and go with the following:

BOA Cash Rewards - 3% on dining (will use a random category card for any quarters where they have 5% cash back on dining)
AMEX Blue Cash Preferred - 6% on grocery stores and 3% on gas (again, random category card when they have 5% on gas)
Fidelity Rewards Card - 2% on everything else

I have decided to just use the AMEX for gas rather than Costco because (a) I drive a hybrid Accord so don't have to fill up all that much, and (b) the extra 1% on gas isn't worth it to me (we're talking, at most, an extra $15 per year with that 1% and that is if gas shot up, so it's actually more like $10 a year or less) to have another card in my wallet, especially when you don't get the cash from Costco other than once per year).

I worked on churning some points cards a year or two ago, but the problem is that we have 2 young kids and my wife runs her own optometry practice, so we just don't travel enough to really take advantage of point accruals, nor would we generally take the big overseas trips where you can really get outsized value on your points.

So for me, the name fo the game became simplification and carrying as few cards in my wallet as possible. I'm definitely leaving some money on the table but at the end of the day, the little bit extra I would gain simply isn't worth it to me.

YoungBogle

Post by YoungBogle » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:44 am

NativeTxn wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:27 pm
After I left my old firm and started with a new company in April, I moved my old 401k to Merrill Edge and moved bank accounts to BOA so that I would be in the Platinum Honors tier of the Preferred Rewards Program and the plan was to use the BOA cash card on pretty much everything except gas and groceries. That would give about 5.75% on restaurants (3% category choice x 75% Plat Honor bonus + another 10% bonus for having money deposited into BOA checking account); and about 1.925% on everything else (1% x 75% + another 10%). Then continue to use AMEX Blue Cash Preferred for groceries at 6%. And use a random category card for gas most of the time since it seems like you can cover at least half the year with a Discover and Chase Freedom at 5% for Gas, but otherwise probably the Costco Card.

However, given that I am going to be moving the IRA into the new company's 401k (in order to be eligible for backdoor Roth's starting in 2020), I've decided to simplify and go with the following:

BOA Cash Rewards - 3% on dining (will use a random category card for any quarters where they have 5% cash back on dining)
AMEX Blue Cash Preferred - 6% on grocery stores and 3% on gas (again, random category card when they have 5% on gas)

I have decided to just use the AMEX for gas rather than Costco because (a) I drive a hybrid Accord so don't have to fill up all that much, and (b) the extra 1% on gas isn't worth it to me (we're talking, at most, an extra $15 per year with that 1% and that is if gas shot up, so it's actually more like $10 a year or less) to have another card in my wallet, especially when you don't get the cash from Costco other than once per year).

I worked on churning some points cards a year or two ago, but the problem is that we have 2 young kids and my wife runs her own optometry practice, so we just don't travel enough to really take advantage of point accruals, nor would we generally take the big overseas trips where you can really get outsized value on your points.

So for me, the name fo the game became simplification and carrying as few cards in my wallet as possible. I'm definitely leaving some money on the table but at the end of the day, the little bit extra I would gain simply isn't worth it to me.
Have you thought of opening multiple BofA cash rewards cards, one can have the 3% (5.25% with PH) be dining, another can be travel, another can be online purchases (I believe Amazon counts, and another be gas?

friuli_croatan

Post by friuli_croatan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:35 am

We are having our first kid soon and I will be putting the birth on credit cards. We are US citizens but in a foreign country. I will then get reimbursed through the insurance company for the birth. So, I am trying to find the best rewards card, or two or three to pay for the €5500 birth. Any thoughts?

I have had 4 Citi AA cards this year and just canceled two of them. Tired of juggling them all. Once you hit the bonus it’s best to get rid of them. We have enough points to fly round trip from EU to US again in 12 months. It’s really a sweet deal. My parents and her parents just got Citi AA cards to do the same.

NativeTxn

Post by NativeTxn » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:31 am

YoungBogle wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:44 am
NativeTxn wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:27 pm

Have you thought of opening multiple BofA cash rewards cards, one can have the 3% (5.25% with PH) be dining, another can be travel, another can be online purchases (I believe Amazon counts, and another be gas?
I have actually. But I'm trying to figure out the time period between cards that they require. For example, my wife has had a BOA Cash Rewards that I've been an AU on for several years. When I moved everything to ME and BOA, I opened a Cash Rewards card in my name. About a month later, I tried to open one as a joint card (since I was originally led to believe that by virtue of her being tied to our ME joint account, she would get Plat Honors because I would be in it; however, her IRA only qualifies her for Gold at the moment, and they assess it on an account-by- account basis, so the Gold plus the joint account doesn't get her a higher tier - but I digress as they did authorize 10 free trades per month in her ME account when I complained) and it told me that it had been too short a time period between then and when I had last applied for the card.

So, I may eventually add more. However, once I move my IRA out and into my 401k, we won't be PH anymore, so the value drops to the standard rate with the small bonus from my wife's Gold status (assuming I don't move her IRA to Fidelity to consolidate with the other non-401k accounts).

I've considered just leaving my IRA at ME for the PH bonuses, but the main one I'd use is the credit card bonus (the free trades are nice, but I might need 0-3 trades per month on average, so no way will I ever use all 100), and I think the value of being able to do a backdoor Roth is much higher than the added 75% bonus on the cash back card.

bryansmile

Post by bryansmile » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:39 am

NativeTxn wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:31 am

I have actually. But I'm trying to figure out the time period between cards that they require. For example, my wife has had a BOA Cash Rewards that I've been an AU on for several years. When I moved everything to ME and BOA, I opened a Cash Rewards card in my name. About a month later, I tried to open one as a joint card (since I was originally led to believe that by virtue of her being tied to our ME joint account, she would get Plat Honors because I would be in it; however, her IRA only qualifies her for Gold at the moment, and they assess it on an account-by- account basis, so the Gold plus the joint account doesn't get her a higher tier - but I digress as they did authorize 10 free trades per month in her ME account when I complained) and it told me that it had been too short a time period between then and when I had last applied for the card.

So, I may eventually add more. However, once I move my IRA out and into my 401k, we won't be PH anymore, so the value drops to the standard rate with the small bonus from my wife's Gold status (assuming I don't move her IRA to Fidelity to consolidate with the other non-401k accounts).

I've considered just leaving my IRA at ME for the PH bonuses, but the main one I'd use is the credit card bonus (the free trades are nice, but I might need 0-3 trades per month on average, so no way will I ever use all 100), and I think the value of being able to do a backdoor Roth is much higher than the added 75% bonus on the cash back card.
If you have $100k in a JOINT account, then both you and your spouse will qualify for the Platinum Honor status.

NativeTxn

Post by NativeTxn » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:04 am

bryansmile wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:39 am
NativeTxn wrote:

If you have $100k in a JOINT account, then both you and your spouse will qualify for the Platinum Honor status.
Correct - but at the moment, the bulk of our assets are in retirement accounts, so the joint account doesn't get us there right now

Whenever we get the joint account to that level, then I will definitely consider moving it from Fido to ME for the added perks. But, given that I'm trying to stuff retirement accounts as full as possible, along with regular Roth's this year, and likely backdoor Roth's starting next year, plus setting some money aside into 529s and what not for the kids, it may be a few years before the joint account breaks the $50,000 mark for Platinum, and even longer before it hits $100,000 for PH.

bryansmile

Post by bryansmile » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:20 am

NativeTxn wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:04 am
bryansmile wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:39 am
NativeTxn wrote:

Correct - but at the moment, the bulk of our assets are in retirement accounts, so the joint account doesn't get us there right now

Whenever we get the joint account to that level, then I will definitely consider moving it from Fido to ME for the added perks. But, given that I'm trying to stuff retirement accounts as full as possible, along with regular Roth's this year, and likely backdoor Roth's starting next year, plus setting some money aside into 529s and what not for the kids, it may be a few years before the joint account breaks the $50,000 mark for Platinum, and even longer before it hits $100,000 for PH.
True. I don't have 100k in a joint account either, but do have that much in joint+my IRA as well as joint+spouse's IRA. I'm still debating if it's worth the hassle to move 3 accounts to ME though to get the extra credit card benefits.

teamDE

Post by teamDE » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:37 pm

I've been pretty obsessed with this for the past couple weeks. Everything you guys are saying is true! I can also see this rabbit hole being kind of fun and addicting. Down I go.

I started out with the Amex Gold (50k SUB) and so far its working out i think. We spend stupid money on food. I'm also really impressed with the Amex Offers. I'm also impressed with eBates and its ability to provide MR to your Amex account. We've already used two months of $10 dining credits and our airline $100 credit!

I got an Amex Blue Business Plus to be my "everything else" 2x flat card. I self referred and got 20k MR out of that.

My wife got the Citi DoubleCash, seems fine. Maybe i should try harder to convince her to use the Amex BBP, but she likes having her own thing. She is a AU no the Amex Gold so puts her food/groceries on that.

We have a big house project coming up that will allow us to pay $20-30k on a credit card... makes one think about SUBs... :)

yeahman

Post by yeahman » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:48 pm

teamDE wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:37 pm
We have a big house project coming up that will allow us to pay $20-30k on a credit card... makes one think about SUBs... :)
2 x Amex Platinum Business. It has the highest min spend requirement so I would use that rare opportunity to get that bonus.

DiMAn0684

Post by DiMAn0684 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:54 pm

yeahman wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:48 pm
teamDE wrote:
2 x Amex Platinum Business. It has the highest min spend requirement so I would use that rare opportunity to get that bonus.
Currently getting 75k MR points for Biz Plat would require $20k spend. I'd rather open three Chase Ink Biz cards each (Unlimited/Cash/Preferred) and collect 180k UR pts per person. Also one can refer the other for CIP, so extra 20k pts there. Total of 380k UR pts for $22k of spend.

yeahman

Post by yeahman » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:52 am

DiMAn0684 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:54 pm
yeahman wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:48 pm
teamDE wrote:
Currently getting 75k MR points for Biz Plat would require $20k spend. I'd rather open three Chase Ink Biz cards each (Unlimited/Cash/Preferred) and collect 180k UR pts per person. Also one can refer the other for CIP, so extra 20k pts there. Total of 380k UR pts for $22k of spend.
My point is you can open those anytime. But unless you actually used it for business, the ability to get the Business Platinum bonus doesn't come along often.

Also there are 100k Business Platinum offers so it would be 200k MR for $20k spend.