Are You Dumping Netflix?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
simplesimon

Re: Are You Dumping Netflix?

Post by simplesimon » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:29 am

stoptothink wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:47 pm
3 siblings and I split the cost for shared Netflix/Prime/HBO/Hulu. There is no way I'd pay for it alone/separate. Couldn't tell you the last time we actually watched Netflix, their programming has gone down the tubes the last year. Nothing worth watching.
Does Hulu allow multiple streams at the same time with the same login? Last I heard it was restricted. I know Netflix/HBO definitely allow different people using the same login.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:16 am

simplesimon wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:29 am
stoptothink wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:47 pm
3 siblings and I split the cost for shared Netflix/Prime/HBO/Hulu. There is no way I'd pay for it alone/separate. Couldn't tell you the last time we actually watched Netflix, their programming has gone down the tubes the last year. Nothing worth watching.
Does Hulu allow multiple streams at the same time with the same login? Last I heard it was restricted. I know Netflix/HBO definitely allow different people using the same login.
Yes. We pay for two users and can stream at same time.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

anoop

Post by anoop » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:39 am

Just to put things in perspective...

Comcast just increased the cost of renting their modem by $2/mo! This is for the same piece of equipment that is worth less than it was yesterday.

I don't have Netflix, but if I did, a $2/mo increase wouldn't matter to me.

NewPhoneWhoDis

Post by NewPhoneWhoDis » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:42 am

SoAnyway wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:37 pm
TLDR - I'm surely missing something here. Sorry, Millennials - Please educate this GenXer. Who pays ANYTHING for TV/video entertainment these days?? :confused

I get all the video entertainment I want for free via my own DVD library + my public library's services + YouTube + various network's websites + watching the 26 mounted TVs while on the equipment at the gym (ok, not free but $10/mo. for dual-purpose exercise/TV viewing) + etc. I'm a live sports fan so that might be the *one* reason I might pay to watch but I have a free fix for that too.

SoAnyway, what am I missing, OP?? :confused
You are indeed missing something! The title of the thread was, "Are you Dumping Netflix?" You are not a Netflix subscriber, therefore this thread would not be applicable to you.

nimo956

Post by nimo956 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:54 am

yatesd wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:39 am
I don't like the trend of Amazon and Netflix "recommending" things for me. It's too invasive, doesn't work well, and seems to be an excuse to de-feature search and filtering capabilities
This is such a pet peeve of mine. I spend more time trying to find something to watch on Netflix than actually watching it. How hard would it be to implement a filter that lets me look at dramas released from 2000 to today with a rotten tomato meter above 80%? It's impossible to believe they didn't consider and reject this idea, in favor of their recommendation algorithm. I don't see why it has to be exclusive though. Let the customer find content the way they want.

I've canceled my subscription to Netflix and simply don't watch any more TV/movies. I guess I've seen all the good content already, and what's left is mediocre.
50% VTI / 50% VXUS

leveraged

Post by leveraged » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:53 am

nimo956 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:54 am
This is such a pet peeve of mine. I spend more time trying to find something to watch on Netflix than actually watching it. How hard would it be to implement a filter that lets me look at dramas released from 2000 to today with a rotten tomato meter above 80%? It's impossible to believe they didn't consider and reject this idea, in favor of their recommendation algorithm. I don't see why it has to be exclusive though. Let the customer find content the way they want.
I highly recommend the app JustWatch. You tell it which services you subscribe to, and then you can filter exactly the way you've mentioned, e.g: All movies released in 2000 or later with >80% Rotten Tomatoes rating.

GCD

Post by GCD » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:55 am

yatesd wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:39 am
- Too much original content (Netflix generic stuff) and not enough actual movies
- I don't like the trend of Amazon and Netflix "recommending" things for me. It's too invasive, doesn't work well, and seems to be an excuse to de-feature search and filtering capabilities
- Too political
Good summary of why we are dumping Netflix. We were only waiting for our daughter to finish binge watching Friends. Now that she's finished, no reason to keep it around.

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:08 pm

I still have Netflix. It's being shared with 4 people. I'm okay with that.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:14 pm

I dumped Netflix YEARs ago!

wander

Post by wander » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:20 pm

tesuzuki2002 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:14 pm
I dumped Netflix YEARs ago!
+1. I didn’t realize how much time I spent watching Netflix contents. Save money is one thing, save time is another.

Jon

Post by Jon » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:23 pm

We will drop Netflix when Disney's new streaming service goes live. Maybe sooner.

It's obvious that Netflix is spending a fortune on new content, but not obvious that any of that new content is actually any good. I've been pretty disappointed by the last few "original" shows I've watched on Netflix, and increasingly find myself not bothering.

With kids in the house, the Disney service will be a no-brainer.

Patzer

Post by Patzer » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:29 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:56 pm
I still like Netflix, but I seem to spend more and more time on Amazon Prime. Amazon also has the option for me to add Britbox and Acorn, paying for them via Amazon. I might also be signing up for PBS Masterpiece after I use the 7 day trial to watch Unforgotten.

I’m also not sure about HBO and Showtime; maybe I will order them through Amazon.

Netflix better be careful; Amazon is gaining on them.
Amazon being willing to sell you more products isn't the same as Amazon having more content. If you end up paying 3x the cost of Netflix to Amazon, then I would expect their content offering to get larger.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:54 pm

Patzer wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:29 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:56 pm
I still like Netflix, but I seem to spend more and more time on Amazon Prime. Amazon also has the option for me to add Britbox and Acorn, paying for them via Amazon. I might also be signing up for PBS Masterpiece after I use the 7 day trial to watch Unforgotten.
I’m also not sure about HBO and Showtime; maybe I will order them through Amazon.
Netflix better be careful; Amazon is gaining on them.
Amazon being willing to sell you more products isn't the same as Amazon having more content. If you end up paying 3x the cost of Netflix to Amazon, then I would expect their content offering to get larger.
It’s just that the British (and Australian and Swedish and ...) content that I can get on Amazon (albeit for additional subscription price) is more interesting to me than a lot of what’s on Netflix. I am not very price sensitive on streaming services. My comment was more intended to convey that Netflix is now my second choice when I sit down to watch.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:32 pm

SoAnyway wrote:
TLDR - I'm surely missing something here. Sorry, Millennials - Please educate this GenXer. Who pays ANYTHING for TV/video entertainment these days?? :confused

I get all the video entertainment I want for free via my own DVD library + my public library's services + YouTube + various network's websites + watching the 26 mounted TVs while on the equipment at the gym (ok, not free but $10/mo. for dual-purpose exercise/TV viewing) + etc. I'm a live sports fan so that might be the *one* reason I might pay to watch but I have a free fix for that too.

How much did you pay for that DVD library you have? I bet it wasn’t zero.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:36 pm

Valuethinker wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:26 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:06 pm
Valuethinker wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:54 am
batpot wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:24 pm
We dumped it when we got Hulu for a $1/mo.
Will probably buy back in when that promo runs out and we've finished Community.
Community is fantastic.
I watched an episode on a plane. Which was basically an Advanced Dungeons and Dragons game. I was laughing out loud in recognition.
A much underrated show. No one in the UK has heard of it.
Community and Better Off Ted were two of my kids’ favorite TV shows that I had the benefit of them letting me know about. Both under-rated and hysterical.
I don't know the latter but thank you for the tip.

I am told The Expanse is very good and I see we have that on Netflix.

The only American channels I really miss having are TCM and AMC which provide fine entertainment. For example I caught " Bad Day at ?Hanging? Rock" w Spencer Tracey. An excellent film.

That and PBS (but not Pledge Week ;-)). Frontline in particular is blocked on UK due to copyright.

I got the sense that Nova was seriously dumbed down from its 80s days.
Expanse is great.

I also saw Parks and Recreation last year on Netflix which was fantastic.

Another surprising gem was Sick Note.

Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:42 pm

harvestbook
Considering Netflix provides us far more than we could watch in a lifetime, and half a year costs about what three of us would spend on one trip to the cinema with snacks, we'll keep it.
We do have Prime as well, but we'd have it for the free shipping and free book a month anyway. I haven't had cable in 20 years.
+1 Exactly our situation.

KANOPY....if you have access to a university library, it is absolutely phenomenal and completely free...check your public library to see if it is available there.
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso

GCD

Post by GCD » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:16 pm

Patzer wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:29 pm
It's interesting that the OP mentioned dumping Netflix for the price, but many of us here are turned off of Netflix because of the content. An extra couple bucks a month is inconsequential to almost everyone.

SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:16 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:32 pm
SoAnyway wrote:

How much did you pay for that DVD library you have? I bet it wasn’t zero.
Game on! How much are you willing to bet, q&h? Hint: I'd win that bet. :D
I paid $0 for the collection - Gifts, hand-me-downs from friends/relatives/neighbors moving away, etc....

SoAnyway, back to OP's post.... The consensus seems to be that if Netflix continues to provide value to anyone at the new price point (within one's means, yada yada); carry on. For anyone who was already on the fence as to the content value for their particular household situation at the then-price, the price increase might be the needed impetus to consider whether or not to continue. Happy viewing! :happy
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:45 am

Trader Joe wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:54 pm
Fortunately I have never spent any time or money on Netflix.
Not sure why you bothered to respond when you aren't even a Netflix customer in the first place.