Which Engineering Discipline for the next 20+ years !!!

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
fru-gal

Re: Which Engineering Discipline for the next 20+ years !!!

Post by fru-gal » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:12 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:18 pm
miamivice wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:21 am
LiveSimple wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:04 pm

This is a sequel to this discussion
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=171074

For a student getting into college this fall, which engineering discipline will you suggest.
Student may not be a mere staff engineering, more analytical hence will become a research engineer.
Understand that the student has to find for them self what to do ? But some pointers will help them appreciate what is out there.

So if you have some insights please share.
One should follow their passion in life. This is the decision for the student to make, not the student parents, nor random people on a chat thread.
That’s BS. Kids need guidance and influence and it is joy simply a “here ya go, good luck.”

Now, if our kids want to go out and pay their own tuition, then they can do whatever they darn well please. But if they want us to foot some or all of the bill, I am going to have a say.
Even when they were old, my mother and aunt regretted that their parents kept them from the careers they wanted.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:21 pm

fru-gal wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:12 pm
Bacchus01 wrote:
miamivice wrote:
LiveSimple wrote:

For a student getting into college this fall, which engineering discipline will you suggest.
Student may not be a mere staff engineering, more analytical hence will become a research engineer.
Understand that the student has to find for them self what to do ? But some pointers will help them appreciate what is out there.

One should follow their passion in life. This is the decision for the student to make, not the student parents, nor random people on a chat thread.
That’s BS. Kids need guidance and influence and it is joy simply a “here ya go, good luck.”

Now, if our kids want to go out and pay their own tuition, then they can do whatever they darn well please. But if they want us to foot some or all of the bill, I am going to have a say.
Even when they were old, my mother and aunt regretted that their parents kept them from the careers they wanted.
If someone wants something bad enough, how could anyone stop that person?

My mother told me that even if the gold fell from the sky, you have to run faster than everyone else to catch it.

KlangFool

rj342

Post by rj342 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:23 am

HomerJ wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:30 pm
zxllxz wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:13 pm
Whatever career path you choose, you MUST have some Business / Financial knowledge to succeed. As an engineering leader you will need to manage projects and people. These require budgets and planning. Capable communications with your management and your customers.
The career path for an entry level engineer lines along 2 paths, Purely scientific, i.e. Staff engineer or Engineering management.
As the technology evolves, you will need to learn new information to keep ahead.

Project management: Have a goal, Make a plan, Execute the plan.
This is technically incorrect, although it can be helpful.

One can certainly "succeed" as an individual contributor without ever becoming a "leader" or "managing projects".

(some of us feel sorry for those who have to "lead" or "manage").
Smart companies that write software, even for their own use, should reward certain IC engineers at least as well as middle managers: their architect and/or inventor types - architects who get their hands dirty and help produce real systems, not PowerPoints that gather dust, and inventors who may innovate in product space, or proprietary tech under hood that makes the products better.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:38 am

fru-gal wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:12 pm
Bacchus01 wrote:
miamivice wrote:
LiveSimple wrote:

No, they regretted not doing something about it. You can’t regret what someone ELSE does.

TexasPE

Post by TexasPE » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:34 am

Post by miamivice » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:21 am

LiveSimple wrote: ↑Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:04 pm

...but strongly encourage them [insist if you are paying the freight] to have a Plan B - minor in Business, etc... something marketable if their 'passion' is not.... unless you want them living in your basement after graduation, delivering pizzas for pocket money. They call it work for a reason. My two cents... YMMV.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill

Topic Author
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:31 pm

The OP, here.

The student completed computer science engineering and interned with a Big 3 technology company and now in a smaller technology company. Will see what next, long way to go... :beer