Good Rx

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
elainet7

Good Rx

Post by elainet7 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:38 pm

Use this plan(free) for drug purchases
Sometimes your copay with insurance is MORE than buying it out of pocket!!!
Believe it or not I have seen it many times

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Good Rx

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:22 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (drug purchases).

(This thread was temporarily removed for moderator review.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:45 pm

I have a high-deductible ($10,000) plan. You are correct in GoodRx being cheaper than most insurance discounts. I order most of my prescriptions from ExpressScripts as it's cheaper with the 90-day supply, but there are a few that are cheaper getting a 90-day supply locally with the GoodRx discount.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:16 pm

Wife is on a drug that isn’t covered by her insurance. The combination of GoodRX, Costco, and getting higher dosage pills and splitting them gets her prescription cost down to somewhat reasonable.

The biggest savings is from splitting the higher dosage pills, but GoodRX gives her about a 15% discount off the regular Costco price.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:30 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:16 pm
Wife is on a drug that isn’t covered by her insurance. The combination of GoodRX, Costco, and getting higher dosage pills and splitting them gets her prescription cost down to somewhat reasonable.

The biggest savings is from splitting the higher dosage pills, but GoodRX gives her about a 15% discount off the regular Costco price.
Have you tried petitioning insurance to get them to cover the drug? It may be possible; just depends on the circumstances. If they've determined the drug has no medical benefit for a person's condition, then you probably won't succeed, unless you can come up with evidence that the insurance company's decision is invalid. However, there are circumstances where you can argue that you've tried alternatives and they don't work. But, if you think the price you're getting now, with all your combined discounts, is comparable to what you'd pay with the insurance coverage, it's probably not worth the effort to petition.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:31 pm

GoodRX is such a good resource for comparison shopping of prescriptions.

It is eye opening to see that sometimes one could pay cash at 1/3 of the cost of an insurance copay. Go figure!

indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:39 pm

Is it necessary to get the GoodRx card? It seems like the discount codes generated through the app are different for every drug, and are much better than the generic membership discount codes.
My signature has been deleted.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:42 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:31 pm

It is eye opening to see that sometimes one could pay cash at 1/3 of the cost of an insurance copay. Go figure!
One thing to keep in mind for those with high medical costs, for those who are likely to reach your OOP (Out Of Pocket maximum), in which case you would want "everything to count", so you hit that max and then pay nothing for the rest of the year.

At least in our case, meds purchased out of our Rx insurer would not count towards that maximum.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Topic Author
elainet7

Post by elainet7 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:44 pm

you do not need the card but ask the price before filling script to make sure its what is on the site
what a crazy system

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:19 pm

mariezzz wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:30 pm
quantAndHold wrote:

Have you tried petitioning insurance to get them to cover the drug? It may be possible; just depends on the circumstances. If they've determined the drug has no medical benefit for a person's condition, then you probably won't succeed, unless you can come up with evidence that the insurance company's decision is invalid. However, there are circumstances where you can argue that you've tried alternatives and they don't work. But, if you think the price you're getting now, with all your combined discounts, is comparable to what you'd pay with the insurance coverage, it's probably not worth the effort to petition.
She took it all the way through the last level of appeals, with a lawyer in front of a judge. The hearing with the judge basically consisted of the judge explaining to her why she was going to lose. Medicare won’t cover off label use for a drug, even if that drug is the standard of care for a condition.

At this point, she’s paying less than she would pay if it were covered, so she stopped trying to fight the system.

ModifiedDuration

Post by ModifiedDuration » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:22 pm

Also check WellRx.

For my prescriptions, I have usually found lower prices at WellRx than Good Rx.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:36 pm

NOLA wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:08 pm
Do you have to be a French citizen, or resident, to get that price? Growing up in Sweden we payed an extremely low co-pay($10-20). For non-citizens, or private clinics, the prices skyrocketed
Very good question. I actually don’t know, but I know that full prices in private clinics (for everybody) for medical procedures are pretty small from an American perspective.

sawhorse

Post by sawhorse » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:08 am

quantAndHold wrote:

Have you looked into getting it from Canada? For a prescription that my insurance won't cover, the price from Canada is about a third of the best price on GoodRx. For Humalog insulin, Canada is about 6 times cheaper. The pharmacy I use, Mark Marine Pharmacy in British Columbia (www.rxcanada4less.com), will ship it express in a chilled box for $25 extra. In an extreme example, cuprimine from Canada is about 70 times cheaper than the best GoodRx price. That's not a typo.

There have been plenty of threads on this forum about getting drugs from Canada.

There are some drugs that are inexplicably more expensive in Canada and other countries. Ondansetron is one example. So don't assume that Canada will have better prices. Take the time to compare.

bryansmile

Post by bryansmile » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:02 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:42 pm

One thing to keep in mind for those with high medical costs, for those who are likely to reach your OOP (Out Of Pocket maximum), in which case you would want "everything to count", so you hit that max and then pay nothing for the rest of the year.

At least in our case, meds purchased out of our Rx insurer would not count towards that maximum.

RM
It will count towards deductible if you file claims for the prescriptions you got outside of your insurance plan.

Presintense

Post by Presintense » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:05 am

elainet7 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:38 pm
I would agree that Good RX is a great place to find many prescription drug prices at low cost. However, I was surprised the last time I went to pick up a prescription that the cash price at my local pharmacy for my generic medicine prescription without Good RX was actually less than with Good RX. Have been using Good RX for years. This was the first time I found their price to be more expensive.
Performance = Potential - Distraction

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:14 am

Couple questions.

We recently were prescribed a prescription medication that has a cost of $250. Looking at GoodRx, we might be able to get it for $90.

1) What is GoodRx and why are prescriptions cheaper using them than otherwise?

2) How do we submit claims so a GoodRx-discounted prescription counts toward our deductible? Express Scripts is the claims processor for our insurance. We have a high deductible plan and absolutely want everything to count toward the deductible.

Dinosaur Dad

Post by Dinosaur Dad » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:23 am

We have had very good luck with BlinkRx. Prices are comparable or lower than GoodRx, everything's fulfilled through my local pharmacy.
"Take calculated risks - that is quite different from being rash." | General George S. Patton

prudent

Post by prudent » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:23 am

miamivice wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:14 am
Couple questions.

We recently were prescribed a prescription medication that has a cost of $250. Looking at GoodRx, we might be able to get it for $90.

Here's one of the more detailed explanations I've run across: https://www.mdedge.com/psychiatry/artic ... w-it-works

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:24 am

Though the difference wasn't big, we experienced this last week. Prednisone with insurance at Walgreens was $30. It seemed high for a generic drug like that so I looked on GoodRx and it was $16.

What I am not sure of is can Walgreens run it through using GoodRx instead of insurance or do I need to go somewhere else? I know Walgreens has our insurance on file and automatically runs it through on that.

ncboiler

Post by ncboiler » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:40 am

miamivice wrote:

2) How do we submit claims so a GoodRx-discounted prescription counts toward our deductible? Express Scripts is the claims processor for our insurance. We have a high deductible plan and absolutely want everything to count toward the deductible.
Express Scripts has a way to upload pharmacy receipts on their website to request reimbursement for prescriptions that were purchased not using insurance. If your deductible has already been met they will send a check for the amount of co-insurance Express Scripts covered based on the GoodRx price. If your deductible has not been yet, the amount you paid will be applied to your deductible.

Look for "Request Reimbursement" on Claims & Balances page, then "Prescription claims & history" tab if your Express Scripts page is like mine.

I had a hard time finding out information if paying for my prescriptions with GoodRx or other discounts outside of insurance could count toward my deductible. I was a little surprised I was able to get this to work with Express Scripts and it saved me hundreds.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:28 am

miamivice wrote:
Couple questions.

You can use GoodRX, or you can file with your insurance. You can’t do both, even if the insurance doesn’t pay anything. So you have to decide if the GoodRX discount is large enough to make it worth going outside the insurance plan.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:35 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:24 am
Though the difference wasn't big, we experienced this last week. Prednisone with insurance at Walgreens was $30. It seemed high for a generic drug like that so I looked on GoodRx and it was $16.

What I am not sure of is can Walgreens run it through using GoodRx instead of insurance or do I need to go somewhere else? I know Walgreens has our insurance on file and automatically runs it through on that.
We have to tell Costco that we’re using goodrx, and not going through insurance, and they’ll run it that way. If we just leave it to the fates, they’ll run the insurance, then tell us that we can’t use goodrx because we have insurance, even though the insurance isn’t paying anything.

The other thing is that the goodrx price is better at cheaper pharmacies. So you might find a better price some else. We use The local CVS for prescriptions that are covered by insurance, because it’s convenient. For the goodrx prescription, we go to Costco, because it’s half the price that it would be at CVS.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:39 am

quantAndHold wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:35 am
michaeljc70 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:24 am

We have to tell Costco that we’re using goodrx, and not going through insurance, and they’ll run it that way. If we just leave it to the fates, they’ll run the insurance, then tell us that we can’t use goodrx because we have insurance, even though the insurance isn’t paying anything.

The other thing is that the goodrx price is better at cheaper pharmacies. So you might find a better price some else. We use The local CVS for prescriptions that are covered by insurance, because it’s convenient. For the goodrx prescription, we go to Costco, because it’s half the price that it would be at CVS.
Thanks. For this particular prescription the prices were pretty close in my area ($16-$19). Of course, I didn't look at Good RX until after spouse had already run it through the insurance and came back home. Next time we'll try to check before paying for it.

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:05 am

I have never used my insurance to buy my medications.....it is much cheaper for me to pay out of pocket.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:08 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:42 pm
HueyLD wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:31 pm

RM
Meds I buy through my Plan D do not count towards an out of pocket maximum. Perhaps some Medicare Advantage plans have that feature, I dunno.

ncboiler

Post by ncboiler » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:12 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:28 am

You can use GoodRX, or you can file with your insurance. You can’t do both, even if the insurance doesn’t pay anything. So you have to decide if the GoodRX discount is large enough to make it worth going outside the insurance plan.
This is not always true. As I documented above, in my High Deductible Plan, Express Scripts applied the lower cash price I paid with GoodRx to my deductible when I did not purchase a prescription running through my insurance.

FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:16 pm

I used this app last month (no insurance for May) at CVS. The clerk spent a half hour with me trying to use the codes and couldn't get them to work to give me the advertised discounts. Eventually, he gave me $3 off one of my meds.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.

tj

Post by tj » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:48 pm

There are tons of prescription discount cards. I don't know how you price all of them. I had one called lowestmed which I think got rebranded

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:12 pm

Here is another tip, you can use GoodRX with a prescription for your pets as well! MY dog takes an anti seizure medicine that is $100+ per month from his vet, I got the same medicine from our local pharmacy with the good RX discount for only $14. It took the pharmacy a few extra hours to setup the Vet as a Dr they could fill prescriptions from and we had to come up with a birthdate for the dog but now I am all set.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

prudent

Post by prudent » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:00 pm

I removed some off-topic posts. Please stay on topic (GoodRx, similar prescription discount cards).

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:05 pm

SimonJester wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:12 pm
Here is another tip, you can use GoodRX with a prescription for your pets as well! MY dog takes an anti seizure medicine that is $100+ per month from his vet, I got the same medicine from our local pharmacy with the good RX discount for only $14. It took the pharmacy a few extra hours to setup the Vet as a Dr they could fill prescriptions from and we had to come up with a birthdate for the dog but now I am all set.
Thank you for that! We never thought of trying that, but my dog has he most expensive prescriptions in the house.

sawhorse

Post by sawhorse » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:28 pm

One thing to be careful of using GoodRx, at least at Walgreens. When I used a GoodRx coupon, it overrode my insurance information in the system. The next time I went to fill something, it wasn't run through my insurance, so I had to pay retail price. My husband picked up the prescription for me, and he didn't know our out of pocket cost for that drug was usually less than he was charged, so he didn't question the price he paid.

So if you use GoodRx, the next time you fill a drug at that pharmacy, make sure your insurance information is entered again, and when you pick it up make sure they ran it through insurance if they were supposed to.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:19 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:05 pm
SimonJester wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:12 pm
Thank you for that! We never thought of trying that, but my dog has he most expensive prescriptions in the house.
So my wife just got off the phone with goodrx. They are in the middle of adding more pet meds, but don’t have a lot yet. We got a $25 rebate on Trifexis that we bought a week ago. Everything else we need, they could tell us where the cheapest places are, which we had already figured out for ourselves by shopping around. They said to keep checking back. Pet meds is something they’re currently working on.

If your pet takes something that’s prescribed for people, your odds are probably better.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:23 pm

elainet7 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:38 pm
I was also using www.healthwarehouse.com and found that at times simply purchasing directly was cheaper than using insurance. They do not take insurance information and my doctor faxed the prescriptions directly there.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Farmboyslim83

Post by Farmboyslim83 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:25 am

ncboiler wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:12 pm
quantAndHold wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:28 am

This is not always true. As I documented above, in my High Deductible Plan, Express Scripts applied the lower cash price I paid with GoodRx to my deductible when I did not purchase a prescription running through my insurance.

lt1_vette

Post by lt1_vette » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:32 am

If you are looking for coupons or copay assistance from drug companies which sometimes can be $0 or a much reduced copay, you might get lucky on [http://www.mat.org (Medicine Assistance Tool, a site serving as a pharmaceutical industry search engine for people looking for financial help with meds - moderator prudent)] worth a try and free. Hit or miss but worth a few minutes just to check.

SchruteB&B

Post by SchruteB&B » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:34 am

Used GoodRx last week at Walgreens as it was cheaper than my insurance, but annoyingly when it rang up, it was $2 more than the GoodRx website had said it would be. Clerk claimed it was “just an estimate.” :annoyed