Gift for niece who is graduating as a Physician Assistant.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Broken Man 1999

Gift for niece who is graduating as a Physician Assistant.

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:05 pm

Very proud of my niece. She graduates later on this month and has already been offered a job in a practice. No idea what she will be making but today when she told me about her offer she said she was surprised it was as much as it was.

I'm giving her some money, but I would like to give her a non-financial gift.

Any ideas?

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Grt2bOutdoors

Re: Gift for niece who is graduating as a Physician Assistant.

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:13 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:05 pm
Very proud of my niece. She graduates later on this month and has already been offered a job in a practice. No idea what she will be making but today when she told me about her offer she said she was surprised it was as much as it was.

I'm giving her some money, but I would like to give her a non-financial gift.

Any ideas?

Broken Man 1999
Is she into jewelry? How about a caduceus pendant on a necklace?
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

stuper1

Post by stuper1 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:23 pm

A book from the White Coat Investor.

Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:39 pm

A student loan payment.

MrCastaway

Post by MrCastaway » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:44 pm

Gift card to figs.com

They are very popular according to wife (RN) and cousin (PA). We gave my cousin a $100 gift card for her graduation and she was over the moon.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:51 pm

MrCastaway wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:44 pm
Gift card to figs.com
Did you mean wearfigs.com ?

I second stuper1's suggestion. A WCI book was the first thing that came to my mind when seeing this thread.

MittensMoney

Post by MittensMoney » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:52 pm

Can second the recommendation for a Figs.com giftcard, my girlfriend will only wear scrubs from them now.

Edit: as mentioned above me, their website isn't actually 'figs.com'. But it's the Figs brand of scrubs.

MrCastaway

Post by MrCastaway » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:55 pm

Yes it is wearfigs.com If she has been a broke college student doing clinical good chance she has had her eye on some scrubs that others have been wearing. wife will only wear them now as well.

sacman01

Post by sacman01 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:02 pm

Inscribed w/ name and degree on a set of high quality cross or equivalent pens. I received these as a gift a few years ago. They write well and last forever with refillable ink cartridges.

Herekittykitty

Post by Herekittykitty » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:38 pm

The White Coat Investor.
If You Can

I haven't worn scrubs in a long time, in fact there weren't really nice ones back when I wore scrubs, but I took a look at the Figs site recommended by readers above and it looks really good. You might want to be sure before giving her a gift card to Figs that she isn't required to wear specific scrubs or not wear scrubs at all. If she can wear scrubs and can choose her own - I add my voice to a gift card to Figs.

Oh - if you know where she likes to go out to eat, a gift card there.

So: The White Coat Investor. If You Can. Gift Card to Figs. Restaurant gift card. All of these will fit nicely into a gift bag.
I don't know anything.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:19 pm

Herekittykitty wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:38 pm
... The White Coat Investor. If You Can. Gift Card to Figs. Restaurant gift card. All of these will fit nicely into a gift bag.
+1
OP, congratulations to your niece! :sharebeer
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

rollingstones 321

Post by rollingstones 321 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:49 pm

I woud consider buying her a new Littman stethoscope based on your budget. The Cardios are more expensive but the classics are more affordable. Those are used so often and easily get lost, so having a back up is helpful as well.

wageoghe

Post by wageoghe » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:08 pm

Every Patient Tells a Story: Medical Mysteries and the Art of Diagnosis https://www.amazon.com/dp/0767922476/re ... -Cb077JWG2

The author is the inspiration for House. She also has a monthly column in the NYT.

Index24

Post by Index24 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:12 pm

Littmann Stethoscope with her initials engraved on it.

JPM

Post by JPM » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:44 pm

IMO a Proctor Harvey stethoscope from Tycos is a better instrument than the Littmann. Better sound quality and transmission. More expensive, c $300. If she has hearing issues, the electric Littmann is very good.

A pearl necklace. Women NPs and PAs who wear them seem to be treated with more respect, again IMO. Not advisable if she is working in scrubs in ER. Cheaper than the Harvey.

A Queen Square hammer if in a neurological field or primary care.

Subscription to Epocrates (PHone app for info on medicines and some other medical info) or to the 5 Minute Clinical Consult for her specialty (another phone app with detailed info on diagnosis and treatment of diseases in the field) or Ferri's Clinical Advisor if in primary care.

Consider Washington Manual of Medical Therapeutics if going on a Hospitalist service.

TierArtz

Post by TierArtz » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:56 pm

The book, How Doctor's Think: https://www.amazon.com/How-Doctors-Thin ... 886&sr=8-1

It's very well reviewed, and I enjoyed reading it despite having no patient contact.

Boulder92

Post by Boulder92 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:24 pm

I have been a physician assistant for about 18 years. Below are some things I wish I had or had done when I started out.

I second the stethoscope mentioned above, it makes a difference and they do get lost so backup is great.
Not sure how much you want to spend but a one year membership to the AAPA (national organization) is about $275. I have been a member off and on over the years (due to cost) but it does provide some resources, especially for new PAs. She may already have a student membership that might expire at end of year so you would have to ask her.
If you want to give a big gift you could consider helping to fund travel to the AAPA Conference, yearly and just took place in Denver. I wish I had the funds when I was younger, this year was my first time and it was well worth it. I think it can be very motivating as there are great speakers and young/optimistic PAs (translation: not burned out). Some jobs give money towards this type of thing but often it is not enough. Next year it is in Nashville in May. Perhaps one year you could help her get to one of these and also go meet her for dinner, she will remember it for a very long time.
WCI book — I wish I had it but I think the person has to be ready for it.
Other random ideas include anything that might make life a little easier for her as the first few months can be difficult — gift card to food delivery service (although people say the packaging creates too much waste), gift card to dinner out, house cleaning gift card.....I dunno but those sort of things. Scrub idea is great too but many offices do not let the provider wear scrubs or hospitals contract with one company and everyone has to wear the same.

IMO

Post by IMO » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:47 pm

I really can't stand the impersonal aspect of gift cards.

She's your niece and you're very proud of her. Do something where you get to spend one and one time with her such as taking her out to dinner. As time goes on you will likely get to see her less due to life.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:08 pm

Boulder92 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:24 pm
I second the stethoscope mentioned above, it makes a difference and they do get lost so backup is great.
I don't know if it would work with a stethoscope but they make locator tags that you can use with an app to find lost objects(keys, kids, pets, etc ).

I don't have any specific recommendations but if you search for "locator tag" on a web site like Amazon you will see lots of them.

ram

Post by ram » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:09 am

Littman's stethoscope.Classic or cardiology depending on your budget. Avoid the electronic one. Good option even if she already has one. Will be appreciated if she is currently using a cheaper one. https://www.amazon.com/slp/littmann-ste ... 7mwy8wg62u

I would avoid giving any electronic "books" . She may have it free as an employee (employer paid subscription)

https://www.google.com/search?q=np+sala ... e&ie=UTF-8

NP salary is approx 100 K
Ram

blueman457

Post by blueman457 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:29 am

Before buying anything medically specific (gift card for figs, stethoscope, etc...) what speciality will she be in and what sort of setting will she work in? That will dictate what she can wear and use. (Ex: Orthopedic PAs probably don’t need a stethoscope, and need to hospital issued scrubs when going to the operating room).

Blue Man

Topic Author
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:27 am

Thanks for the suggestions!

- White Coat Investor book: I bought a copy for her "White Coat" ceremony.

- Stethoscope and scrubs: I need to find out more about her actual activities and appropriate dress. Nice thing about a quality stethoscope is she could use it for years, and remember her favorite uncle! :happy

- Jewelry: she is a minimalist for sure. Haven't eliminated the idea, though.

- Student loan repayment: see my original post, she will be able to pay a bit on her loans with the cash gift. No knowledge of the amount of her loans, I would imagine they aren't tiny.

- Gift cards: one thing I like about gift cards, especially for restaurants, is she will most likely be very busy with a new job and moving to a new location. Might entice her to take a breather and treat herself. I do prefer one on ones, and she is actually moving much closer to our home. I'm her closest relative now, as her parents are deceased.

- Quality writing instruments: I like that idea as well, something that would be a lasting gift.

When we spoke about her new job, she mentioned she would be visiting for help with her savings/investments. That made my day! :moneybag

She is a very strong young woman, I have no doubt she will excel in her new opportunity. She is the only one of my nephews and nieces who graduated from college.

Well, I have a nice selection of ideas, and some are certainly modest enough I could easily do a couple of them.

Thanks again!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Herekittykitty

Post by Herekittykitty » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:51 am

Stethoscope preference can be personal. I would make sure of what she wants in a stethoscope if you buy her one. Even if you ask her what stethoscope she wants, she might suggest one less expensive than the one she really wants. So be careful about that.

It is great that you are giving her The White Coat Investor!

What a wonderful gift to you and to your niece that you have each other!!!!!!! What a blessing!!!!!
I don't know anything.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:41 am

My 2 cents (I’m also in medicine):

Boglehead Guide to Investing book.

Would hold off getting medical equipment and clothes since this can be a personal choice. I’ve gotten away with a relatively cheap hand-me-down steth from my old man. Maybe those super expensive steth’s are worth it, but meh... (what I do find helpful is any Tromner reflex hammer and panoptic ophthalmoscope). I rarely use scrubs now (except as occasional pajamas). The only PA’s that I seee using them regularly are surgical PA’s and I think they are required to use hospital specific ones. Again, personal choice.

A year’s subscription to UpToDate if her office doesn’t already have one.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:59 pm

Since it sounds like she has a lot of student loan debt then I recommend Dave Ramseys Total Money Makeover book. White Coat Investor is also very good with very similar ideas as Dave Ramsey.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:59 am

When the nephew was starting out, I gave him a check for $1000. That's a lot of money for me, but I figured he'd have so many expenses getting started that it would be useful. If she's going to live at home, though, she won't have the rent and settling up household expenses, so less useful in that case.

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:30 pm

I find the responses here interesting. I posted a similar question here several years ago, when a niece was throwing a party to celebrate graduating with a Masters in Physical Therapy.

Almost unanimously, Bogleheads told me that a gift was not really appropriate for a graduate degree.

Ralph

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:34 pm

ralph124cf wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:30 pm
I find the responses here interesting. I posted a similar question here several years ago, when a niece was throwing a party to celebrate graduating with a Masters in Physical Therapy.

Almost unanimously, Bogleheads told me that a gift was not really appropriate for a graduate degree.

Ralph
That's weird. Link to post?
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

Topic Author
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:22 pm

ralph124cf wrote:

Ralph
Well, I seriously doubt whether I would care what an anonymous poster on the internet thought about the appropriateness of giving a family member a gift.

If you wanted to give your niece a gift for earning a graduate degree, I hope you ignored the advice you received, Ralph.

Broken Man 1999

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:36 am

Suggested books.

The Only Investment Guide You’ll Every Need, Andrew Tobias. Personal finance topics.

The Bogleheads’ Guide to Investing. A structured overview of wise retirement investing.

Date… or Soul Mate, Warren. Priceless if it helps avoid bad marriage/divorce.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:03 pm

Raymond wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:34 pm
ralph124cf wrote:

Ralph
I'm guessing it was this thread.

I hope Ralph didn't leave a lump of coal.

Topic Author
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:37 pm

StormShadow wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:03 pm
Raymond wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:34 pm
ralph124cf wrote:

Ralph
I'm guessing it was this thread.

I hope Ralph didn't leave a lump of coal.
Family dynamics play a big role in these type activities. In my family we celebrate many things, gives us a chance to visit and swill booze and chow down. We can find many reasons to use as an excuse, and we certainly do have the knack to do so. :sharebeer

Broken Man 1999

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:10 pm

Some very nice suggestions here....but a hand written card with cash is sure hard to beat.

Topic Author
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:19 pm

TxAg wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:10 pm
Some very nice suggestions here....but a hand written card with cash is sure hard to beat.
DW has made her a card, and a scrapbook of her White Coat ceremony from last year. DW is very crafty. So, a handmade card with a check, and the scrapbook is ready to be mailed. Unfortunately we will not be able to attend the graduation function as DW is having a knee replaced on the graduation date. Some of her cousins will be attending. Luckily the event will be streamed, so that will be nice. Wish we could attend, but it just isn't possible.

Thanks to all again for the excellent suggestions! Still pondering what the non-financial gift will be.

Broken Man 1999