How to donate to a non profit organization anonymously?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
sksbog

How to donate to a non profit organization anonymously?

Post by sksbog » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:18 pm

hello,

Any thoughts on How to donate to a non profit organization anonymously?

Thanks

fortfun

Re: How to donate to a non profit organization anonymously?

Post by fortfun » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:24 pm

sksbog wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:18 pm
hello,

Thanks
Send them a prepaid credit card.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:27 pm

Donor Advised Fund, see Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Donor_advised_fund
Man assumes more intelligence than dolphins because he achieves so much, while dolphins just have a good time. Dolphins believe they're more intelligent than man - for precisely the same reason. (HGG)

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:28 pm

Donor advised funds are good for anonymous donations. Best case is you'd also have some appreciated securities you'd like to donate as well.

Topic Author
sksbog

Post by sksbog » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:29 pm

fortfun wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:24 pm
sksbog wrote:
hello,

Thanks
Send them a prepaid credit card.
That would not guarantee payment towards organization. What if an employee keeps it for himself/herself?

Would a cashiers check be better?

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:31 pm

Donor advised fund. You need 5k to start one. Fidelity offers one. It seems to work pretty smoothly.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:33 pm

sksbog wrote:
Send them a letter telling them the donation is anonymous and if they ever want to see another penny in the future to make sure it remains so.

I've used this technique for years with [apparent] complete success.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:34 pm

sksbog wrote:
hello,

Thanks
You can enclose a note with your donation requesting that your donation be labeled as anonymous. In addition, you can ask the organization to not send you future solicitations.

As other have noted, you can also use DAF.

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:34 pm

If you need a tax receipt, the donor advised fund may be best. If not, any form of payment that does not have your name on it will do. If you don't trust them to handle the money, why support them?

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:54 pm

Leave a bag of cash at the door of the organization.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:09 am

BolderBoy wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:33 pm
Send them a letter telling them the donation is anonymous and if they ever want to see another penny in the future to make sure it remains so.
That may achieve privacy, a worthwhile goal, but it doesn't achieve anonymity. A Donor Advised Fund is probably the most practical way to make truly anonymous donations.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

obafgkm

Post by obafgkm » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:36 am

sksbog wrote:
BolderBoy wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:33 pm

I wonder if that would work for requesting to never get another solicitation from the charity. I'm easily annoyed by the figurative avalanche of mail from charities I gave to once. I'll give more when I want to - paying for them to send more money requests turns me off.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:42 am

obafgkm wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:36 am
I wonder if that would work for requesting to never get another solicitation from the charity.
I have successfully gotten a couple of charities to keep me off their solicitation lists. The better ones have the ability to flag your record indefinitely. Others might remove your name but if you donate again, your name might end up back on the list.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:25 am

I like the anonymous option with my Vanguard Charitable fund. It does go well with donating securities that have a capital gain that would need taxes paid on.

Watty

Post by Watty » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:02 am

obafgkm wrote:
I wonder if that would work for requesting to never get another solicitation from the charity. I'm easily annoyed by the figurative avalanche of mail from charities I gave to once. I'll give more when I want to - paying for them to send more money requests turns me off.
After my Mother in law died we had her mail forwarded to our address. Even after we moved across the country we were still occasionally getting mail for her for around 20 years after she died requesting donations. Getting mail for her deceased Mom was upsetting for my wife so I would throw them away before she saw them.

I eventually made up stickers that I put on the envelope that said something like "deceased: return to sender". That stopped some but not all of them.

There is no way that she was a big donor either.

obafgkm

Post by obafgkm » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:00 pm

Watty wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:02 am
After my Mother in law died we had her mail forwarded to our address. Even after we moved across the country we were still occasionally getting mail for her for around 20 years after she died requesting donations.
My late wife is still receiving charity requests, junk mail, and (once) a jury duty summons, five years after she died.

J295

Post by J295 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:10 pm

Cashier check or DAF

Hug401k

Post by Hug401k » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:32 pm

I've been using Charity Navigator. It leverages Network for Good, a donor advised fund but I don't need $5k or to open any investment account. I've done as little as $100 before. You can pick your chosen charities and give them whatever you wish, multiple charities at a time. There is an option for remaining anonymous to the final charity, and to date, it has avoided the influx of charitable solicitation (which is what my goal was).

This is what my confirm/tax record stated:

Your donation is being made to Network for Good, a nonprofit, donor advised fund (tax ID 68-0480736), which processes donations made through Charity Navigator and distributes them to your chosen charity(ies). Depending on your method of payment, your credit card or PayPal statement will show 'Network for Good' or the charity(ies) to which you donated. All donations are final and may not be refunded. Details of your donation are listed in the Donation Record below.

Fine print:

The above information relating to you, the donor, is used only to complete your donation. If you made your contribution anonymously, the information will not be provided to the charity. Please visit https://www.charitynavigator.org/ for more information on privacy and security.

Your contribution is being made to Network for Good, a nonprofit, donor advised fund, which will distribute your donation to the nonprofit organization(s) that you indicated. As required by the Internal Revenue Service (“IRS”), Network for Good has exclusive legal control over the donation. In the rare event that a charity you have recommended does not satisfy Network for Good’s criteria for receiving donations (e.g., it has been classified by the IRS as a disqualified supporting organization, it cannot or does not accept donations, is not recognized by the IRS as a public charity, or is not in good standing with federal and state regulators), or if the Nonprofit returns its donation to Network for Good for any reason, Network for Good may at its sole discretion select an alternate charity to receive the donation or have the donation allocated to a Fund (“The Generosity Fund”) maintained by Network for Good and used solely for charitable purposes including, but not limited to, mission based activities and grants.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:46 pm

obafgkm wrote:
I'll give more when I want to - paying for them to send more money requests turns me off.
It bugs me too but look at it from their point of view. If they spend $100 to send out solicitations and it brings in $101 in donations, it is worth it for them. (Disregarding the fact that it irritates a lot of donors.)

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:58 pm

I've used Network for Good, but not thru Charity Navigator, just directly from NfG's site. Register, select your charities, donate. You choose whether you want the charities to know who you are, or you may just send the charity a message without your info. Or nothing, just the money.

Year end statement, or as you go from NfG.

Some charities have requested that NfG not accept money on their behalf. Oh, well, other organizations need the $$.

Maybe NfG has changed. I didn't use them last year.

bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:20 pm

An alternative for the charity minded: Make them the beneficiary on your Vanguard mutual fund, etc.
You will need to have the charities TAX ID #
Some charity websites have the Tax ID number on the website. Others, such as World Vision you will have to call and they will send you a protocol that includes the Tax ID and their account number.
It's easy and doesn't require a lawyer.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:07 pm

My workplace allows us to pool money for United Way, and does not pass along
individual names.

My church is associated with some organizations like a homeless shelter.
They allow members to direct extra funds to those organizations.

I give to my alma mater, and get just a few solicitations a year. I got a scholarship
from them, so I am giving back.

I have given directly to other organizations, and then gotten bombarded for
years afterwards with solicitations from them and from other organizations.
I wonder if they sell the list of donors. I no longer give directly like that.

I put cash in donation boxes at free libraries and museums.

brandy

Post by brandy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:33 pm

Donating anonymously has always been important to me. When I started, I gave cash. Later I bought postal money orders and put an alias instead of my name. For the past may years I have not been able to do that, so use my name, understanding they really don't know who I am so I am anonymous to them. Recently a few have been sending acknowledgements and return envelopes with a big THANK YOU written on the envelope. I called the money offices and told them I was unhappy, and to remove my name from their acknowledgement list. I hope it works...