How does this international fund available in my 401k compare with something like VTIAX?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
PersianRugs

How does this international fund available in my 401k compare with something like VTIAX?

Post by PersianRugs » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:31 pm

I’m trying to figure out what the symbol/ticker for this index fund is so I can look at its history and see how it compares to a total international fund like VTIAX.

It’s an international index fund that tracks “MSCI ACWI Ex-U.S. IMI (net)”

From a brief search, it seems like IXUS is the eft that tracks this index. I’m not sure if that’s correct though.

How does the performance & expense ratio compare to something like VTIAX?

ruralavalon

Re: How does this international fund available in my 401k compare with something like VTIAX?

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:52 pm

MSCI ACWI Ex-U.S. IMI is a total international stock market index, covering both larger and smaller companies in both developed and emerging matkets.

Until 2013 MSCI ACWI Ex-U.S. IMI was also used by Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Admiral Shares (VTIAX), and the ETF (VXUS). In 2013 the Vanguard fund switched to using the FTSE Global All Cap ex US Index. Vanguard , VTIAX, "portfolio and management" tab

iShares Core MSCI Total International Stock ETF (IXUS) currently uses that index. That ETF began 11/22/2012.

I don't think you will find much difference between the two funds. Here is a comparison of share price: IXUS vs.VXUS. IXUS starts strong in 2012, but the two ETFs are about even over the last 5 years.

Edited to add ilinks.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

fabdog

Re: How does this international fund available in my 401k compare with something like VTIAX?

Post by fabdog » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:08 pm

This fund is most likely a collective investment trust that Northern Trust is providing to your plan sponsor, so it won't have a "ticker"

Look and see if your plan has a page on its website that shows historical performance, mine does. If not, as noted above, you can use a proxy like IXUS to see how its performed over time

Mike

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:30 pm

Probably a collective investment trust - check out CIT in the Wiki. I'd have no problem using it. Follows a good index. Has the right costs.