Cleaning up new house before move in—getting rid of “cat smell”

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fru-gal

Re: Cleaning up new house before move in—getting rid of “cat smell”

Post by fru-gal » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:28 am

I have not found that Black lights work well for finding urine. When I had an elderly cat with urination problems, a black light was useless. I wound up using Nature's Miracle on any suspicious area. Note that it takes awhile to work. If you are using it on carpet, for example, it may take several days for the urine smell to disappear. NM does have a smell of its own, but that dissipates; it's not like it's perfumed.

kelvan80

Post by kelvan80 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:43 am

We replaced the carpet in our last two purchases due to cats and dogs. It seems the smell would never leave and would reappear during humid days and months after carpet cleaning. My husband has issues with dust anyhow so new carpets help that. Our MBR had hardwood engineered floors otherwise we would have done it immediately. The carpet people in the first house sprayed the subflooring with a bleach mixture before they put the new pad down. If you have the money I'd just do it.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:30 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:47 am
Fortunately the house is all hardwood/tile floors.

I don’t believe it is a matter of a poorly managed cat house, just the scent of dander.
Good thing. Mostly.
I have had rental units where unauthorized pets had peed on the walls and inside corners. It runs down to the baseboard, puddles, then seeps under the hardwood or laminate floor. Really nasty to deal with.
A good tile job should be impervious.
j

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:55 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:30 am
Jags4186 wrote:

I don’t believe it is a matter of a poorly managed cat house, just the scent of dander.
Good thing. Mostly.
I have had rental units where unauthorized pets had peed on the walls and inside corners. It runs down to the baseboard, puddles, then seeps under the hardwood or laminate floor. Really nasty to deal with.
j
Glazed tile and most (not all) stone is typically impervious, but grout seams are not

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:57 am

Read this before shelling $ for a duct cleaning service:

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality- ... me-cleaned

Assuming the prior owners kept the filters installed in the system there shouldnt be much in the ducts.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:25 am

Jags4186 wrote:

The smell will probably leave with the owners furniture, bedding, and curtains.

Litfury

Post by Litfury » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:29 am

After the inspection, make them clean the house/carpets and rid of the cat smell. Put a contingency in that if during your final walkthrough you still smell the cat then you walk away from the deal with earnest money in hand. If they would not agree to this, don't buy the house. I'm not a cat person, and would never buy a house where I could smell a cat. It will be extremely difficult for you to get rid of this smell yourself.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:33 am

neilpilot wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:55 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:30 am
Jags4186 wrote:

Good thing. Mostly.
j
Glazed tile and most (not all) stone is typically impervious, but grout seams are not
Yes.
So true.
Nasty yellow grout stains or unsealed stone.
Yuck. :shock:

sman09

Post by sman09 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:53 am

If there is no apparent cat smell, would it still be required to do a deep cleaning as is suggested above?

Also, if one does not have any allergies (or at least does not know of having one), but still prefers a home that did not have a cat - would realtors be able to check beforehand on this to save time (by avoiding the home visit, for example)?

Below is the query from last night (which restarted this thread) that seems to have got overlooked in light of the original post:

"Very useful thread!

Visited a home today that looked nice but right at the door the owner had a message to close the doors as they had cat (We could not see it when we were visiting there though).

From the pictures in the wall, we could see that the family had kids including a baby/toddler. Would the fact that the family had little ones and that on the face of it the home looked well kept be construed that the family having had cat should not be an issue?

I saw several posts here that alerted to be careful when cats are in the seller's home and to even avoid such homes. In the backdrop of the above information, wanted to get some inputs.

(We had visited another home earlier which looked fine on all counts until i opened the garage and decided to take a close look at everything there - i was surprised/shocked to see 2 rats inside a cage with a proper system to feed them. That family also apparently had a baby from the pictures/toys that we could see.

When we saw that this owner had a cat, the first thought that occurred to us was would they also have had rats to feed the cat!)"

Quirkz

Post by Quirkz » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:56 am

sman09 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:49 pm
(We had visited another home earlier which looked fine on all counts until i opened the garage and decided to take a close look at everything there - i was surprised/shocked to see 2 rats inside a cage with a proper system to feed them. That family also apparently had a baby from the pictures/toys that we could see. We could no longer be in the home and had to rush out. Is it not so uncommon to own rats?

When we saw that this owner had a cat, the first thought that occurred to us was would they also have had rats to feed the cat!)
I'm not following this at all. Why did you have to rush out? What would pictures of kids have to do with the rats?

I'm sure the rats were pets, and not cat food. It's not exactly common, but it's not totally unheard of. Rats aren't much different from hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs, mice, etc. (Now if they had a large snake, rodents might have been food, but that's a rarer exception.)