Registering for SS and Medicare office this Wednesday. What else do I need to take?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Mickey7

Registering for SS and Medicare office this Wednesday. What else do I need to take?

Post by Mickey7 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:41 pm

Well the time has come to register for SS and Medicare. I have called several times each time to no avail so this Wednesday I am going to apply in person. Having been there on several times I realize there will be a wait, but as I had said already I have waited on the phone and at least I will be there.
Honestly I feel comfortable going in that direction as there are several circumstances that make this so. First being 67 I will be taking my retirement letter from the school district stating that I have been employed with healthcare since turning 65. My employment in the district has been for 23 years without contributing to SS and have an additional 23 years in the "real world" making contributions. I will also be taking my CMS-L564 form that was filled out by the district HR. I also understand about the WEP and will not be blindsided.
Will my HR retirement be sufficient so that I will not be subjected to the IRMAA penalty as my final years salary was past $90,000? As I understand it I cannot sign up for the KelseyCare Advantage plan until I have signed up for Medicare. This plan will include my drug Part D plan.

Beside my ID will there be anything else that will be needed?

billfromct

Re: Registering for SS and Medicare office this Wednesday. What else do I need to take?

Post by billfromct » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:36 am

What is "HR retirement"? Is that your school district pension?

Also I would think that if you weren't paying SS or Medicare for the past 23 years that you would also have a retirement healthcare plan from the school district.

I believe that your MAGI (modified adjusted gross income) from 2 years previous will be used to determine your IRMAA charge. So I think that your 2017 MAGI will determine your 2019 IRMAA charge.

You don't mention if you are single or married. I believe IRMAA starts to take effect if your MAGI hits about $85k if single & $170k if married. Check "the Google".

When I went to the SS office I brought my driver's license, passport, & birth certificate just in case since I had all 3 available.

I'm no Medicare expert so maybe someone with more SS/Medicare knowledge will respond.

bill

Stinky

Re: Registering for SS and Medicare office this Wednesday. What else do I need to take?

Post by Stinky » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:15 am

Consider registering on line.

I signed up for Medicare on line last year, and then immediately signed up for Medicare Advantage on the provider's website. Will be signing up for SS soon, and plan to also do that on line.

It was an easy process, as I recall it. It's been a few months, so I'm not fresh on all of the details, but it took only a few minutes.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:56 am

billfromct wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:36 am

I believe that your MAGI (modified adjusted gross income) from 2 years previous will be used to determine your IRMAA charge. So I think that your 2017 MAGI will determine your 2019 IRMAA charge.
Yes, but.....If you can document a Medicare qualified "life changing event", then it's very easy to successfully appeal IRMAA. Retirement, or even a significant reduction in work hours, is such an event.