Lyndsay Windows - anyone with experience?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
SoDakJeff

Lyndsay Windows - anyone with experience?

Post by SoDakJeff » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:30 am

I recently found out that my home windows are in bad shape. Replacement costs are steep. I've received a couple of window estimates, and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me of their experience.

My first estimate was with Renewal by Anderson. Seemed like good windows, but expensive ($14,000 - $17,000 including installation).

My next estimate was from a local millwork business. They showed me (and pushed for) Marvin windows. The Marvin Signature would cost almost $16,000 for just the windows. Marvin Integrity came in at around $10,000. Installation extra.

Trying to keep costs down, I had them show me some vinyl windows. They started me out with Gherkin windows, and they looked good and had good specs. Cost for those were around $7,000, plus installation.

The business sent one of the contractors they use out to our house yesterday to do some measuring and to get a first-hand look at our current windows. He suggested getting me a quote for Lindsay vinyl windows, and thought those would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $5,000, plus installation.

We are trying to get our house ready to sell, so we don't want/need top-of-line replacements, but we don't want to stick a new owner with cheap, crummy windows either.

Anyone who has had experience with Lyndsay specifically, or any of the other windows I've mentioned - any advice?

bloom2708

Re: Lyndsay Windows - anyone with experience?

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:46 pm

What is wrong with the current windows? Wood rotting or has the gas leaked out between the panes and there is condensation and haze between the panes?

Our surrounds are fine, but the glass has let go. It is surprisingly cheap to replace the glass insert. $150 to $200 installed on decent sized windows.

They take apart the frame, replace the insert, put it back in. If I notice a window or 2 has "let go", I call the local window shop. They measure and replace as needed.

I googled and bing'd "Lindsay Window Reviews". Looks like a mixed bag for the reviews.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

Topic Author
SoDakJeff

Post by SoDakJeff » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:13 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:46 pm
What is wrong with the current windows? Wood rotting or has the gas leaked out between the panes and there is condensation and haze between the panes?

Our surrounds are fine, but the glass has let go. It is surprisingly cheap to replace the glass insert. $150 to $200 installed on decent sized windows.

They take apart the frame, replace the insert, put it back in. If I notice a window or 2 has "let go", I call the local window shop. They measure and replace as needed.

I googled and bing'd "Lindsay Window Reviews". Looks like a mixed bag for the reviews.
Current windows are Crestline casements. The wood is splintering, dried and turning some frightening colors. There are wood areas where, if you press with a finger, it feels like pressing on a sponge. One window has warped to the point where it won't close completely. Had several people look at them, and they've all said they need to be replaced. The glass is fine.

I've tried to find someone in our area (contractors, handymen, carpenters, etc.) to see if someone could just rehab the wood areas of the windows instead of going for a full replacement. Of the few that even called me back, they've all said that it not their expertise, or they don't do that kind of thing. I think I'm stuck with replacements.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:15 pm

SoDakJeff wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:13 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:46 pm

Current windows are Crestline casements. The wood is splintering, dried and turning some frightening colors. There are wood areas where, if you press with a finger, it feels like pressing on a sponge. One window has warped to the point where it won't close completely. Had several people look at them, and they've all said they need to be replaced. The glass is fine.

I've tried to find someone in our area (contractors, handymen, carpenters, etc.) to see if someone could just rehab the wood areas of the windows instead of going for a full replacement. Of the few that even called me back, they've all said that it not their expertise, or they don't do that kind of thing. I think I'm stuck with replacements.
If you are selling, could you give a $10k window allotment to the new owner? Let them decide on the brand/style?

You end up between the cheap Lindsay and the Marvin's.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

mcamp18

Post by mcamp18 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:13 am

Research OKNA windows. I replaced all the windows in my house with OKNA windows two years ago. The specs for these windows were excellent.
They are a great value point. I learned about OKNA windows after researching windows on home improvement bulletin boards.