What flagship (even used) item is better than a budget new item?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BogleMelon

What flagship (even used) item is better than a budget new item?

Post by BogleMelon »

What products in life that worth buying the "flagship" version of them?
My own experience: I bought the following item as "budget" AKA cheap and regretted it
- Brand new Moto G5 plus. Now that I switched to Pixel 2 (bought used) I see a huge difference in speed and performance.
- I tried the Nespresso pods (came free when bought the maker), and the flavor was so rich and amazing. I then refilled with Amazon cheaper pods with 4+ reviews, I felt a huge downgrade, and the coffee tasted as if it is another regular brewed coffee but just darker (bitter or burned taste). Ordered again Nespresso and waiting for it to be delivered.
- Budget car (AKA used Hyundai) because at that time I didn't have the money to buy a "relatively flagship" car (AKA Toyota), now I regret the decision whenever I have to pay $$ in repairs every year because of the cheap materials of the Hyundai. Had I bought a Toyota or Honda from the beginning, it would be a better financial decision in the long run.
- Building a computer case years ago, I decided to go with a generic power supply, since then, almost every game I play, the computer restarts itself after 30 minutes of playing or so (No, the processor is not overheating). After researching, I decided to go with a quality power supply to provide the PC with needed wattage. Ordered and waiting for delivery, hoping that should fix the issue forever.
- A budget dash cam, 2 years now and its internal battery is dead making the date reset every time I start the car. Unfortunately, I can not justify paying over $300 for a flagship one. And I couldn't find a reasonable used one on eBay, So I will replace it with another budget one for now (with capacitor though instead of battery)

That makes think, what kind of other products we would be better buying as flagship (even used, if one can not afford them new) better than buying a brand new budget version of the same product?
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
oldcomputerguy

Re: What flagship (even used) item is better than a budget new item?

Post by oldcomputerguy »

This topic is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
tcassette

Post by tcassette »

BogleMelon wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:00 am What products in life that worth buying the "flagship" version of them?
My own experience: I bought the following item as "budget" AKA cheap and regretted it
- Brand new Moto G5 plus. Now that I switched to Pixel 2 (bought used) I see a huge difference in speed and performance.
- I tried the Nespresso pod (came free when bought the maker), and the flavor was so rich and amazing. I then refilled with Amazon cheaper pods with high ratings, I felt the huge downgrade, and the coffee tasted as if it is another regular brewed coffee but just darker (bitter or burned taste)
- Budget car (AKA used Hyundai) because at that time I didn't have the money to buy a "relatively flagship" car (AKA Toyota), now I regret the decision when have to pay $$ in repairs every year because of the cheap materials. Had I bought a Toyota or Honda from the beginning, it would be a better financial decision on the long run
- Building a computer case years ago, I decided to go with a generic power supply, since then every game I play the computer restarts itself (No the processor is not overheating). After researching, I decided to go with a quality power supply to provide the PC with needed wattage.
- A budget dash cam, 2 years and its internal battery is dead making the date reset every time I start the car. Unfortunately, I can not justify paying over $300 for a flagship one. And I couldn't find a reasonable used one on ebay, So I will replace it with another budget one for now (with capacitor though instead of battery)

That makes think, what kind of other products we would be better buying as flagship (even used, if one can not afford them new) better than buying a brand new budget version of the same product?
I think you mean "high quality" rather than "flagship" for your question. To me, a "flagship" product is the very best quality, no compromise brand or model of that particular product, usually with the highest or near highest price. However, one can purchase a "high quality" item that has most of the quality of a flagship product for a lower, but not lowest, price. As you have mentioned, Toyota is generally considered a high quality vehicle brand; however, Lexus would be considered their flagship brand.

To me, if you want a non-disposable product that lasts for a while and performs well, you are going to have to pay a bit more for a high quality item than a similar budget item. This applies pretty much across the board to vehicles, electronics, clothing, tools, furniture, etc. As you have seen, the total cost of ownership, including repairs and maintenance, must be considered as part of your justification for a particular level of quality. If you have to replace your $100 dash cam once per year and your research indicates that a $300 dash cam will last over 3 years, which should you buy?
anil686

Post by anil686 »

A few come to mind:

Apple products - I have not bought new in a while - normally buy their certified pre-owned Mac books, iMac, iPhone, and iPad and have never had a problem with any of them. I have not used non Apple desktops or laptops in over 12 years so I cannot compare to Microsoft products or others.

Jura coffee makers - really great. Maybe the Delonghi (sp) is good too, but I have used Jura's for years and really like them.

Second the Toyota reference

Levi's - I find the fit and comfort superior to non Levi's and I can pick them up at Costco or Sams at a decent price

Footwear - user specific based on their feet. I always pay for great footwear (functional) since I have flat feet. I use extra wide and have used both Nike and Hush Puppies.

Sodas - Coke or Pepsi - they both taste different than each other but the off brands often have an aftertaste to me. Coke and Pepsi do not.

Garbage Disposals - Waste King (often found at Costco) - superior quality, made in US and last a long time. Never been disappointed and in the past - expected my Badger or Insinkerator to wear out. My waste king's seem to last forever.

Vanguard - love their index funds and how close they track their target index - always have been a great deal.

I am sure there are more, but I cannot think of them off the top of my head right now but I am sure others will...
CommitmentDevice

Post by CommitmentDevice »

Used to buy cheap vacuum cleaners and they'd suck at sucking and break down pretty quickly.
Bought a 10 year old Miele canister vacuum cleaner for $100 (retails for $1K) and absolutely love it. Sturdy, beautiful, cleans like a dream.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I never skimp on shoes.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
mikemikemike

Post by mikemikemike »

I cook a lot and a decent chef's knife is definitely worth the extra $$ (to me).
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

Jura espresso machines.

Musical instruments.
miamivice

Post by miamivice »

BogleMelon wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:00 am What products in life that worth buying the "flagship" version of them?
I prefer buying flagship houses over budget houses.

Generally you get your money out of them either way, so I figure it's worth going nice.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

jebmke wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:50 am I never skimp on shoes.
A great rule of life that I think I read here is never skimp on anything that goes in between you and the ground:

shoes
chairs
mattress
tires
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

Camera lenses. A used L-series Canon lens will blow away a comparable budget lens. Better glass, faster aperture, etc. High-end lenses hold their value remarkably well (camera bodies, not so much).
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

To nitpick re Toyota/Lexus superiority, in the Japanese market the Toyota Century IS the flagship vehicle of the brand.

The Toyota Century (Japanese: トヨタ センチュリー Toyota Senchurī) is a large four-door limousine produced mainly for the Japanese market, serving as Toyota's flagship car within Japan; globally the unrelated Lexus LS series is Toyota's flagship luxury model outside Japan. ... The Century is comparable in purpose to the Austin Princess/Daimler DS420, Cadillac Series 70, Mercedes-Benz 600, Chinese Red Flag, Rolls-Royce, and Russian ZIS/ZIL limousines.

Wiki - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Century
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
shawndoggy

Post by shawndoggy »

vitamix
ultegra / xt (no need for dura ace / xtr)
kitchen knives
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

- I tried the Nespresso pods (came free when bought the maker), and the flavor was so rich and amazing. I then refilled with Amazon cheaper pods with 4+ reviews, I felt a huge downgrade, and the coffee tasted as if it is another regular brewed coffee but just darker (bitter or burned taste). Ordered again Nespresso and waiting for it to be delivered.
- Budget car (AKA used Hyundai) because at that time I didn't have the money to buy a "relatively flagship" car (AKA Toyota), now I regret the decision whenever I have to pay $$ in repairs every year because of the cheap materials of the Hyundai. Had I bought a Toyota or Honda from the beginning, it would be a better financial decision in the long run.
- Building a computer case years ago, I decided to go with a generic power supply, since then, almost every game I play, the computer restarts itself after 30 minutes of playing or so (No, the processor is not overheating). After researching, I decided to go with a quality power supply to provide the PC with needed wattage. Ordered and waiting for delivery, hoping that should fix the issue forever.
- A budget dash cam, 2 years now and its internal battery is dead making the date reset every time I start the car. Unfortunately, I can not justify paying over $300 for a flagship one. And I couldn't find a reasonable used one on eBay, So I will replace it with another budget one for now (with capacitor though instead of battery)

Weber grill vs whatever you get at HD/lowes (why? excellent customer service, and warranty)
Eddie Bauer (why? same as above)
Eheim aquarium pump (they are bulletproof albeit very costly initially)
Levis jeans (OK product, very good warranty)
Apple everything (good product, warranty, customer service)
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

Thanks, OP: this is a great thread - no specific item to add myself, but looking forward to following all the posts. Only thing I wanted to add is that to me, it goes beyond which one is the better value money-wise. The older I get, the more I'm willing to spend to reduce the odds of wasted time and aggravation when things prematurely break or disappoint.
Townline Lake

Post by Townline Lake »

Werner carbon kayak paddle
Browning firearms
St Croix fishing rods
Swarovski binoculars
USA made Danner boots
Big Green Egg smoker
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

I buy shoes based on comfort, not price, and I’m hard to fit. All-Clad cookware. Quality kitchen knives. Toyota Highlander and Lexus RX 350.

On the other hand, I buy clothes at Costco, because I can find good quality using natural fibers at a good price, especially Nautica and Foxcroft tops. And I’ve purchased several of their rain coats.
buccimane

Post by buccimane »

Apple Products
Golf Clubs (Taylormade)
Haircuts
Shoes (athletic/dress)

Items I buy the cheapest available product:
TV's.. nowadays, the quality on the cheapest TV's is still exceptional IMO
Furniture.. between moving/wear and tear, I have gotten exceptional deals on used furniture through Craigslist. People sell for 1/4 of what they bought it for 2 years ago.
Gym Membership.. a gym is a gym for my intended use
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

Townline Lake wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:09 pm Werner carbon kayak paddle
+1. I don't have a kayak but we have werner SUP paddles and we love them.
Wiki
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

TheOscarGuy wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:42 am

What does that mean? What is the relevance of warranty for clothes?
CommitmentDevice

Re shoes - I consistently find great shoes at my local thrift shop. I tend to like the shoes better than what I can find in a store, plus the price is an 80% discount. Not for everyone, but working great for me.
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger »

Equestrian leather strap goods and especially saddles.
sport

Post by sport »

Hand tools. If a cheap one breaks, you might get injured. In addition, they always break on a Sunday.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

Starfish wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:00 pm
TheOscarGuy wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:42 am

What does that mean? What is the relevance of warranty for clothes?
If it goes bad, they replace it. I have some issues with their jeans, and they were happy to replace it for me. :happy
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

CommitmentDevice wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:13 pm Re shoes - I consistently find great shoes at my local thrift shop. I tend to like the shoes better than what I can find in a store, plus the price is an 80% discount. Not for everyone, but working great for me.
No offense, but I can not picture myself putting my feet in shoes that were once worn by someone else!
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Toyota/Lexus Products, here's why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGvlb4v-RlI
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

BogleMelon wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:11 pm
CommitmentDevice wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:13 pm Re shoes - I consistently find great shoes at my local thrift shop. I tend to like the shoes better than what I can find in a store, plus the price is an 80% discount. Not for everyone, but working great for me.
No offense, but I can not picture myself putting my feet in shoes that were once worn by someone else!
Same here. Can't do it
amindu

Post by amindu »

Leesbro63 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:15 pm Toyota/Lexus Products, here's why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGvlb4v-RlI
LOL :D :D
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

Macbook Pro. Bought in 2014 for $2400 or so and was totally worth it. No other laptop I ever bought or desktop has functioned at high level for so long amd headache free.

Guitar. (Ie - preowned $1400 taylor and $1400 martin way better than $200-300 as far as both playbility and sound in my opinion)

Pocketknife - recently bought benchmade 940 and prior was usually pocket knives <$50. (though I don’t need or even use pocketknives that often thus purely luxury item)
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Personally, I rarely see any added value of those "flagship" items. The only exception is that I will buy items that will give me the longest life of utility. If you take out brand recognition associating with an item, the value of that item is simply the cost divided by the total years of utility.

Aside from that, anything that is "more than standard" item (luxury car, high-end coffee, powerful computer, etc.) is just a luxury item. You pay for your own enjoyment. It's your own perceived value of the "flagship" version of the item for the amount you paid for it. Everyone has different taste though. Some like luxury cars and some like traveling.

P.S.: Toyota and Hyundai are the same class as far as I concern.
Time is the ultimate currency.
shans2000

Post by shans2000 »

Simply Human trash cans
Apple computers (Not iphones, glass breaks too easily)
Laser printers rather than cheap inkjets
Bikes (Trek, Specialized and other known bike brands) rather than what you get at Targets of the world
CommitmentDevice

TheOscarGuy wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:24 pm
Same here. Can't do it
The homo economicus in me grins and says "ergo the 80% discount" :mrgreen:
The social animal in me cringes and feels a bit embarrassed :oops:
On net, *shrug* - to each their own :beer
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Every single consumer product follows this rule. The used high quality item is better to own than the brand new garbage for the same price.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
FireProof

Post by FireProof »

I get manufacturer-refurbished ($2000-new) business laptops for $300. Even 3 years older, they are much quicker overall than a new budget ($400-500) computer (quad core i7s, dedicated graphics, SSD), they have an HD screen, and of course they are built like tanks, rather than out of flimsy plastic.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

CommitmentDevice wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:25 pm
Same here. Can't do it
The homo economicus in me grins and says "ergo the 80% discount" :mrgreen:
The social animal in me cringes and feels a bit embarrassed :oops:
On net, *shrug* - to each their own :beer

Wait until you see how much it cost to treat the new fungal infection :D
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

FireProof wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:36 pm I get manufacturer-refurbished ($2000-new) business laptops for $300. Even 3 years older, they are much quicker overall than a new budget ($400-500) computer (quad core i7s, dedicated graphics, SSD), they have an HD screen, and of course they are built like tanks, rather than out of flimsy plastic.
Where do you buy them from?
regularguy455

Post by regularguy455 »

Dyson cordless vacuum
MrJones

Post by MrJones »

Briggs and Riley suitcases. You buy them for life. You don't have to worry about them breaking down during a trip.
MrJones

Post by MrJones »

BogleMelon wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:38 pm
FireProof wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:36 pm I get manufacturer-refurbished ($2000-new) business laptops for $300. Even 3 years older, they are much quicker overall than a new budget ($400-500) computer (quad core i7s, dedicated graphics, SSD), they have an HD screen, and of course they are built like tanks, rather than out of flimsy plastic.
eBay is a great place for off-lease loaded corporate laptops.
PressIt

Post by PressIt »

Pajamas / underwear / socks
Dishwashers
Tools

I rarely go “top shelf” with electronics as they go obsolete relatively quickly and lose value quickly as well. The one exception I make was mentioned. If it were in my budget, I would always choose Apple made computers. My lone MacBook Air has lasted me twice as long as any other laptop I’ve owned. The premium paid at the time was well worth it
k3vb0t

Post by k3vb0t »

Bought my first pair of Costa Del Mar sunglasses about a decade ago. I had been using $20 sunglasses from Walmart and the like. Instead of having to replace annually (and getting headaches from then squeezing my large head) the Costas are still going along great. No hinge problems. Have different sizes and found one that works for me.

Only issue - and why I just bought an identical second pair - is due to user error (aka slamming my head into my SUV tailgate on vacation with them on top of my head and scratching one of the lenses).

The math has worked out the same as the new pair I bought were $200 shipped. So $20/yr for the decade I had them. They are now relegated to yard work duty but I can also send them in for repair.

I would gladly buy a good condition used pair instead of new cheapo glasses like I had before.
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

Unread post by MrJones » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:19 pm

Briggs and Riley suitcases. You buy them for life. You don't have to worry about them breaking down during a trip.
+1. Also Tumi. You can find them in excellent condition at estate sales or on ebay at ~25% of retail.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

1. Apple phones, tablets and computers
2. High end Brooks and Asics athletic shoes
3. Top of the line sports equipment - racquets, paddles, etc.
4. Acura/Honda in the past, lately Lexus/Toyota
5. Costco membership
6. SOG/Spyderco/Kershaw knives
7. Crimson Trace lasers
8. Vortex and Minox Optics
9. Michelin tires
10. Martin/Gibson/Taylor guitars
Pu239

Post by Pu239 »

BogleMelon wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:00 am
Contraceptives
Parachutes
Brake pads

...you get the idea.
Between the idea And the reality...Between the motion And the act...Falls the Shadow - T. S. Eliot
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

Mostly I buy everything new, but I’d certainly rather have a higher quality used item than something that’s new and not as good. Here are some times I’ve gone that route. I’ve been extremely happy with all of these choices and glad I didn’t go with the new but inferior alternative.

1. Used Panasonic plasma instead of new LED with inferior picture and higher price. Bought my plasma broken for $50 and spent about $100 to fix the damaged board.

2. Used 2011 BMW 328 instead of new 2014 BMW (okay the newer one is still BMW but not nearly as good to drive as the older model so I saw the 2011 as better even though I could have easily afforded the new one)

3. Used Marantz stereo receiver instead of new Yamaha - the 40 year old marantz was about half the price of the new Yamaha but sounds better and looks better than any new electronic device.

4. Used JBL L100T3 speakers - 30 years old paid $500 and sound better than most new speakers costing 2-3x the price

5. Used emotiva monoblock amps - purchased used for same price as a new mediocre stereo amp and have much cleaner sound.

6. 98 BMW M3 instead of 2017 BMW 340 - when my 328 was totaled I considered purchasing a new 340, but I found a 20 year old M3 that drove better than the new 3 series and cost about 1/6th the price.

I always get apple phones and computers because I love the build quality of the hardware and the lack of bloatware and advertisements. I also trust Apple more than google. I buy them new though.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

1. MacBook Pro or Air laptops. I have my 2011 MacBook Pro and it’s still going strong... unbelievable. I kinda want it to die so I can buy a new one :) .

2. Boots/Casual Shoes ... Frye will last you a lifetime, both in style and quality. Hand made, and quality you feel when you put them on.

3. Motorcycle (safety) gear. Can you put a price on your head? Skin? Bones? Dainese, Held, Bell, Aria, Schuberth etc.

I think these are the three I splurge on. Everything else I’m pretty frugal (though to be clear I get all of these items on sale :D ... I’m allergic to MSRP).
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Same here. Can't do it
Well, some new-in-box shoes have been test-fit by someone else, but I agree - I would only buy shoes new.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

sport wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:48 pm Hand tools. If a cheap one breaks, you might get injured. In addition, they always break on a Sunday.
What brands do you buy?
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

BogleMelon wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:38 pm
I disagree, having bought multiple manufacturer refurbs. I have a business laptop at work and know what I do to it. I think you could reconstruct an entire Pop Tart by removing the keyboard from one of mine, and I don't believe "refurb" includes stripping the chassis completely to do so (and that's what's required on my more recent models vs. older ones.)
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

Thermapen digital thermometer. Fast reading and very accurate. Love it!