Company requiring salaried employees to clock in?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
searle7

Company requiring salaried employees to clock in?

Post by searle7 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:35 am

Hello all! I work for small manufacturing company and starting next week they are requiring all salaried employees to clock in/clock out. They didn't state a reason why, though I believe its because some people come in late.
My first thought was whether it is even legal to do it, but after researching on google it seems to be okay. Obviously some people are upset and feel like we aren't being trusted to do our job.
Anyone else work for a company that has required the salaried to clock in? Anything I should do or watch out for? I can't imagine this will be good for our company morale

destinationnc

Re: Company requiring salaried employees to clock in?

Post by destinationnc » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:45 am

This is silly. Just because you're at work doesn't mean you're working....

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:46 am

For safety it is not uncommon for employees to check in and check out. In an emergency the company can verify that everyone is safely out of the building.

It is poor HR management not explain the reasons for the new policy, but I found that happened often with my (small) employer.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:49 am

Most salaried employees I know (including myself) have set work hours when they need to be present in the office (8-4:30, etc). Though I have never had to punch a clock, I have had to fill out weekly/monthly time sheets.

Being salaried just means that you won't get paid any more, no matter how many hours you work, but your employer can certainly require you to track your hours.

p14175

Post by p14175 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:49 am

Sometimes contracts require exact hours/minutes worked.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:59 am

It's a thing. At my previous job as a software developer, we were salaried, but had to clock in/out. If we were ever more than two minutes late clocking in we were "written up" (whatever that means). And we had to have permission to leave more than ten minutes early. And if we worked extra on Day A, it didn't mean we could work less on Day B.

So I always came in and waited before clocking in at exactly 7:30, clocked out at exactly 8 hours, and made sure every week added up to exactly 40 hours and 0 minutes. Prior to make those rules, I averaged around 42 hours/week. They wanted to play stupid games, so they won stupid prizes.

I quit about ten months after they made those rules for a far better job.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:03 am

It depends on the industry. Traditional industries - manufacturing, finance, healthcare I can absolutely see having mandated hours, etc.

Tech/software on the other hand is very laid back. Its rare for companies to have time policies and many even encourage remote work.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:06 am

One "key" here is whether the employer pays the full salary - even if clocked hours are less, at times.

I assume that "salaried" equated to "exempt".

In one previous life, when I was exempt or salaried, we did not need to clock in or out, BUT we were required to meticulously maintain a time card or time sheet on our desks showing what task number or project number being "charged" at that time. On a periodic basis (once or twice a month) the company "time card police" would come by our desks and make sure our time sheets were 'current".

We did a lot of work for federal government business - and I think it had something to do with that.

delamer

Post by delamer » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:09 am

David Jay wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:46 am
For safety it is not uncommon for employees to check in and check out. In an emergency the company can verify that everyone is safely out of the building.

It is poor HR management not explain the reasons for the new policy, but I found that happened often with my (small) employer.
Yes, it definitely could be a safety issue especially if you don’t have to badge into the building.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:10 am

delamer wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:09 am
David Jay wrote:
Yes, it definitely could be a safety issue especially if you don’t have to badge into the building.
True, as well.

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:13 am

searle7 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:35 am
Anyone else work for a company that has required the salaried to clock in?
I don't live in America. I know dozens, probably hundreds, of companies that require salaried employees to clock in. Most of them use a fingerprint scanner on the clock-in to make it impossible for someone else to clock-in for you. I know many, many people who have been docked pay or had meetings with managers/HR for clocking in late.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:16 am

It's legal, the company pays those salaries and establishes guidelines and rules. Sometimes, we all pay for the issues with others, and we have choices we can make regarding what is most important to us.

Tim

Beehave

Post by Beehave » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:22 am

My hunch would be that management wants to correct the behavior of or fire someone they feel is abusing the hours in a way that is harmful either to productivity or morale. This sounds like a way of diminishing the chance that a fired worker will be able to sue for wrongful termination.

If this is true, it will be a very good idea to comply with the new procedure because if the above is correct they will want to apply this timeliness criterion consistently, especially if the person they're actually after might potentially have some kind of protected status and their firing might thus be perceived as discriminatory if there is any inconsistency in the application of the timeliness standard.

I'd toe the line on this and advise my friends to be careful. If the relationship between management and the workers is deteriorating (for example, the company is starting to get into financial trouble) and this is a sign, then do what you need to (a) to protect this job and (b) start thinking about finding a safe landing place if this one gets fouled.

Regarding protecting your job, the policy change may represent an opportunity. The brighter side would be to find some new advantage and benefit of everyone showing up on time and institute some collaborative 1st thing of the day event that is not now possible because of latecomers that somehow actually improves planning or production. Management wants something improved and is trying to get there. Find a way to help.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:22 am

I worked at a tech company where we had to badge into various places of the compound so not only do they track your hours but your movements as well. I've also had to keep time sheets here and there at other companies.

From my experience, those exempt employees that complain the loudest about having their hours tracked are probably the ones most abusing the system.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:30 am

my boss is a freak about start time, not just have to be in the office by 9AM and If you are a minute last you are to text him, he wants you in your seating working at 9AM, not getting your coffee or talking to co-workers.

To me if you have nothing to hid it wouldn't bother me.

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:34 am

You can also have a mix. My former Agency required those salaried workers on alternate work schedules to clock in, those who did not participate, did not clock in.

masonstone

Post by masonstone » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:36 am

searle7 wrote:
Hello all! I work for small manufacturing company and starting next week they are requiring all salaried employees to clock in/clock out. They didn't state a reason why, though I believe its because some people come in late.
My first thought was whether it is even legal to do it, but after researching on google it seems to be okay. Obviously some people are upset and feel like we aren't being trusted to do our job.
Anyone else work for a company that has required the salaried to clock in? Anything I should do or watch out for? I can't imagine this will be good for our company morale
I require my salaried employees to clock in so that theyre not late. They get warnings when theyre late.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:43 am

masonstone wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:36 am
searle7 wrote:
I require my salaried employees to clock in so that theyre not late. They get warnings when theyre late.
If by "salaried" you mean "exempt", then I believe you may (depending on all the details) be in violation of aspects of labor law. No expert on that here - just what I learned over the decades in various employee experiences.

masonstone

Post by masonstone » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:47 am

dm200 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:43 am
masonstone wrote:
searle7 wrote:
If by "salaried" you mean "exempt", then I believe you may (depending on all the details) be in violation of aspects of labor law. No expert on that here - just what I learned over the decades in various employee experiences.
Lol there is no violation of labor laws to require salaried employees to clock-in.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:51 am

David Jay wrote:
+1

When I used to work in an industrial setting back when they used paper time cards when you punched in you moved your time-card over to the "in" side of the rack.

The time-card rack on the "in" side had a handle on it and was just clipped to the wall and in an emergency it was someones job to grab the time-card rack as they ran out of the building as it was evacuated.

One of the facilities was is California and an earthquake toppled over the warehouse racks and they fell like dominoes. Within a few minutes the were able to identify that one person was still in the building and someone had a good idea where they at. Fortunately the person was on a forklift with a strong metal cage and was unhurt but it still took several hours to get him out.

I am not sure how they would handle it with the electronic systems that are used today.

Topic Author
searle7

Post by searle7 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:55 am

masonstone wrote:
I find this absurd when the employees are working way more than 8 hours a day anyways. Do your employees leave right on time everyday also?

Why not just hire them on as hourly if you treat them as such?

oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:57 am

searle7 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:55 am
masonstone wrote:
I find this absurd when the employees are working way more than 8 hours a day anyways. Do your employees leave right on time everyday also?

Because then they would have to be paid overtime. (or at least paid for all the hours worked)

Topic Author
searle7

Post by searle7 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:03 pm

It make sense for the safety aspect in case of emergency but I have a hunch its not the case. They are now going to write up employees if they are even 2 minutes late. Most of they salaried are don't directly affect the manufacturing side as we on the corporate side of the business. Most of us stay later anyways so what difference does it make? It seems like we are getting treated as hourly without the benefits (ie paid overtime). I was always under the impression of salaried position being a little more flexible but this seems to be going the opposite.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:03 pm

dm200 wrote:
searle7 wrote:

If by "salaried" you mean "exempt", then I believe you may (depending on all the details) be in violation of aspects of labor law.
Doesn't "exempt" mean exempt from labor laws?
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:05 pm

searle7 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:03 pm
It make sense for the safety aspect in case of emergency but I have a hunch its not the case. They are now going to write up employees if they are even 2 minutes late. Most of they salaried are don't directly affect the manufacturing side as we on the corporate side of the business. Most of us stay later anyways so what difference does it make? It seems like we are getting treated as hourly without the benefits (ie paid overtime). I was always under the impression of salaried position being a little more flexible but this seems to be going the opposite.
"It make sense for the safety aspect in case of emergency but I have a hunch its not the case."
You are inferring that all of this is in manufacturing - it is not.
We have salaried employees clock in as well - because they are customer centric and if they are not in then customers suffer.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:08 pm

oldfatguy wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:57 am
searle7 wrote:
masonstone wrote:

Because then they would have to be paid overtime. (or at least paid for all the hours worked)
More than one company has been overly controlling of their exempt employees only to get sued and have to pay years of backpay for the overtime.

Before I retired from IT I looked into this once and it turned out that IT workers were specifically excluded from some of the requirements to have an employee classified as exempt.

Topic Author
searle7

Post by searle7 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:09 pm

oldfatguy wrote:
searle7 wrote:
masonstone wrote:

Exactly my point. Of course they don't want to pay that. I'm not upset much about clocking in thing as much as the strict hours they are now wanting to enforce regardless of how many hours we work.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:12 pm

Lol there is no violation of labor laws to require salaried employees to clock-in.
No, I agree. BUT what I believe may be a violation is to dock the pay, etc. of exempt employees to do not "work" or are clocked in fewer than eight hours in a workday - or to charge sick leave or vacation time for hours not worked in one day.

oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:13 pm

searle7 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:09 pm
oldfatguy wrote:
searle7 wrote:
masonstone wrote:

Exactly my point. Of course they don't want to pay that. I'm not upset much about clocking in thing as much as the strict hours they are now wanting to enforce regardless of how many hours we work.
In my experience, it is very common for salaried positions to have strict, required work hours of 40-45 hours a week, PLUS the requirement to work beyond those hours as needed.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:15 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:30 am
my boss is a freak about start time, not just have to be in the office by 9AM and If you are a minute last you are to text him, he wants you in your seating working at 9AM, not getting your coffee or talking to co-workers.

To me if you have nothing to hid it wouldn't bother me.
Why would you work there?

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:16 pm

dm200 wrote:
masonstone wrote:
searle7 wrote:
No, there is nothing about the law that you can't have workplace rules around policies and procedures. You may not be able to dock them pay, but you certainly can discipline and fire them for not following workplace policy. Even if it is a really stupid policy.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:17 pm

BolderBoy wrote:
dm200 wrote:
searle7 wrote:

If by "salaried" you mean "exempt", then I believe you may (depending on all the details) be in violation of aspects of labor law.
Not at all.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:18 pm

BolderBoy wrote:
dm200 wrote:
searle7 wrote:
Not at all!! "Exempt" means, perhaps among other things, "exempt" from being paid "overtime". So, if an "exempt" employee works 60 hour weeks - doing his/her work/tasks that qualify for "exempt" status - no overtime pay is required.

An employer can, always, "choose" to pay overtime, etc. to an exempt employee.

HOWEVER, if a normally "exempt" employee is clearly and actually doing "non-exempt" work, the employee must be paid overtime. Many, many decades ago, as an "exempt" employee of a "Mega Corp", I received a modest amount of "overtime" pay when the MegaCorp, for some reason, audited or reviewed several years of my (and others) work history.

This is all, in my opinion, complicated - as well as the fact that overtime rules have changed in one direction or another - several times over the last decades.

FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:25 pm

I have to clock in and out. But our time is very flexible, there isn't really any time in the morning by which we need to be in. We just need to hit our minimum hours over the course of a month (or more). I'm a government employee and there are occasional audits. The purpose is to ensure employees aren't abusing taxpayer money. Our time has nothing to do with our productivity reviews. I don't see anything wrong with a private employer wanting to make sure it's private money likewise is not being abused (though I think a project-based productivity is a better system than time-based).

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:30 pm

What's the fuss here?
Perhaps it is because salaried employees feel themselves above having to clock in, unlike many who have to use a time stamp of some sort. It's a percieved status and class situation, and that is one of the markers. Clocking in drops you down on the totem pole. Yikes!

BoglePaul

Post by BoglePaul » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:33 pm

searle7 wrote:
60% of Americans are hourly. If fortunate enought to be in the salaried group then punch the clock, file the tps reports, or whatever else they ask.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:43 pm

I do not see any reason for fuss here. Exempt does not mean your employer can´t require you to be at the workplace during their normal business hours when they feel a need for you to be there. If you are part of a team (including supervising the team), your physical presence may (or may not) be critical to the team functioning properly. Supervisors are frequently exempt but they may need to be their when the hourly nonexempt workers they are supervising are there.

No show jobs in both the public and private sector have been the subject of criminal corruption cases. Having records of employee comings and goings can help provide a defense against such charges.

When my late husband was a highly paid exempt employee at a large corporate research lab, he still had to fill out detailed computerized time cards for all his work, because every minute he worked all had to be charged to various components of the corporation.

My brother is a partner in a big law firm. I know he is required to keep detailed records of how he spends his time so it can be billed to various clients or charged to an overhead account as appropriate.

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:58 pm

Seems odd but can be for many reasons:

-Shift work: My wife is salaried but is shift work, she doesn't have to clock in or out but if they had issues I could see them looking into it.
-Contract work, I know some government contractors that need to clock their work in 15 minute intervals for billing to the right contract.
-Safety, I'd assume in a manufacturing plant, they want to know who is in and who isn't, especially in case of an accident.
-Compliance: Paid sick leave laws are getting confusing and maybe it would just be easier to keep track of hours. ACA employer mandate laws could be a reason if their HR software isn't up to par.
-Or of course it could just be the bosses are just jerks.

Ged

Post by Ged » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:02 pm

BolderBoy wrote:
dm200 wrote:
searle7 wrote:

No. It means you are exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act Overtime Provisions.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:02 pm

oldfatguy wrote:
searle7 wrote:
masonstone wrote:

The law determines who is paid overtime not the employer. You do not determine who is or isn’t exempt.

That said it is perfectly reasonable to expect employees to start at a certain time. It is also perfectly reasonable to fire employees for being late.

scottgekko

Post by scottgekko » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:26 pm

I would assume they're wanting to see who is arriving late and/or leaving early.

I wouldn't want to have to clock in/out necessarily but I've definitely had to badge in/out of the building I worked in. Not the same as a timecard, but I"m sure they could use that data against me if needed.

I'm sure the company is wanting to ensure the people they are paying to work 40 hours a week are actually doing so or using correct PTO codes to make up the difference.

It's not illegal to track time. They can't dock pay, but they can surely reprimand if you're not working the assigned shift.

As they say, "one bad apple ruins the bunch."

Post by 123 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:30 pm

The more records a company maintains the greater the likelihood that those records can be used against the company in litigation. This is particularly true when it comes to records pertaining to employees. Time clock records can be particularly rewarding in the event of litigation.

Records like time clock records can be valuable resources in litigation other than wage and hour issues.

Use of a time clock often is often an indicator that an organization is relying on an inexpensive superficial control, like a time clock, instead of a more direct control, like an adequate number of managers/supervisors to monitor employees. From the perspective of employees the time clock is generally a more favorable situation.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:45 pm

I wouldn't have cared. It would have been dishonest to work less than I was supposed to anyway.

Many salary folks at my former corporation were terminated for mischarging their time; and that was without a punch clock. My guess is that someone at your company is fudging their time.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. I see the world as it is; not how I wish it to be.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:52 pm

It's not respectful management of professionals.

It seems that one would be justified in not doing any work outside of scheduled working hours.

If it's like the usual sort of management fad, it may well go away in time. Then some other sort of annoyance will appear.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:12 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:52 pm
It's not respectful management of professionals.

It seems that one would be justified in not doing any work outside of scheduled working hours.

If it's like the usual sort of management fad, it may well go away in time. Then some other sort of annoyance will appear.
As pointed out above, detailed "timekeeping" (of some sort) may be required for certain purposes.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:17 pm

For some reason our facility in Ireland requires salaried employees to clock in, but nowhere else.

It's really silly bc how much work I get done has nothing to do with how long I am at work. Sometimes I have tasks so boring that I will waste an entire day just staring at an iso standard
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

masonstone

Post by masonstone » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:00 pm

dm200 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:12 pm
No, I agree. BUT what I believe may be a violation is to dock the pay, etc. of exempt employees to do not "work" or are clocked in fewer than eight hours in a workday - or to charge sick leave or vacation time for hours not worked in one day.
I wouldn't dock pay if they're consistently late, but I would fire them.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:23 pm

Slightly different topic - previous Megacorp employer and exempt vs non-exempt on snowy days.

I was employed in the 1980's for about ten years by a Megacorp. The headquarters and very large employee base was in an area of the country that rarely gets a lot of snow. In this area, we occasionally get enough snow that schools are closed, government (local and federal) is closed and there are warnings for folks to stay home. However, the "Bureaucracy" of this megacorp declared that we were never closed.

I was an "exempt" employee.

If you were "non-exempt" (with a little slide, but not much) , if you did not work your regular hours, it was treated as paid time off (vacation hours or days) or, if you had none accrued - no pay. If you were "exempt" however, consistent with the applicable rules for exempt employees, as long as you showed up and it was documented that you showed up, even for just a few minutes - it was a regular, paid work day.

So, what most exempt employees did on such snow days is trudge in sometime during the day, make sure someone (or more than one person) saw you show up - and then trudge home.

Annabel Lee

Post by Annabel Lee » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:47 pm

masonstone wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:00 pm
dm200 wrote:

Late for what?

I frequently wake up at 6am, write emails/work on projects at the kitchen table, have breakfast with my kids, commute in post-rush hour when it's quicker to drive, roll into the office at 10:30am for an in-person meeting, and leave at 7pm after traffic has subsided.

I also frequently am in my office before 7am if I have important in-person meetings.

I am currently traveling for work with a bit of downtime and posting on Bogleheads. It's about balance.

If you're late for meetings, late for a shift where you interact with the public, or late for flights for business travel, that's an issue.

But you'd dock the pay of - or terminate - someone who is simply late to their desk? Is finding good people who produce simple for you?

masonstone

Post by masonstone » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:50 pm

Annabel Lee wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:47 pm
masonstone wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:00 pm
dm200 wrote:

Late for what?

I frequently wake up at 6am, write emails/work on projects at the kitchen table, have breakfast with my kids, commute in post-rush hour when it's quicker to drive, roll into the office at 10:30am for an in-person meeting, and leave at 7pm after traffic has subsided.

I also frequently am in my office before 7am if I have important in-person meetings.

I am currently traveling for work with a bit of downtime and posting on Bogleheads. It's about balance.

If you're late for meetings, late for a shift where you interact with the public, or late for flights for business travel, that's an issue.

But you'd dock the pay of - or terminate - someone who is simply late to their desk? Is finding good people who produce simple for you?
I'm in a healthcare setting when my employees are late the patients get upset.