Would you buy a house without a garage?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Pepe.Silvia

Would you buy a house without a garage?

Post by Pepe.Silvia » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:37 pm

My wife an I are looking to move to a NYC suburb. My wife likes a house that has been sitting on the market for over a year with multiple price reductions. There are a good number of quirks to this house that (I think) have caused it to sit. The two biggest issues are the garage and the bathrooms. The house has a two car garage but it opens to the back of the house. The previous owner had a wrap around driveway to the backyard to access the garage but the current owner got rid of half the driveway (the part that wrapped around) so that cars cannot access the garage. I am guessing he did that to turn a smallish backyard into a bigger yard but now, for all intents and purposes, the house does not have a usable garage. The second issue is that the bedrooms that we would use for our children previously had a full bathroom in the hall on the same floor as those bedrooms (they are on the first floor). The current owner turned that hall bathroom into a half bathroom (no bathroom or shower). There are full bathrooms in the basement and on the top floor but its a weird setup.

That long winded summary leads to the question, would the garage issue be a deal breaker for anyone here? I could probably live without the garage but am I setting myself up for a situation where I won't be able to resell the house? The current owner is pretty set on the price he is asking so there doesn't look like there's the possibility of a big discount to make the garage issue more palatable.

ysette9

Re: Would you buy a house without a garage?

Post by ysette9 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:44 pm

The house we bought two years ago actually doesn’t have a garage, so the answer to your question, for me, is “yes”. What you are describing is not a house without a garage but simply one you can’t put cars into. Most Americans use their garages to store their crap, so presumably this is what you would do with this one. I would like to have a garage, but in HCOL areas one must be willing to make compromises. In a place like NY where you get that white stuff on the ground in the winter I can see wanting to make a garage a higher priority than here in CA.

The bathroom thing seems a bit odd but not a deal breaker for me. As someone who loves water, having a toilet near the bedroom is very important. As I only shower once a day, I am more willing to make a trek for that activity. I would expect that is a configuration you could change relatively easily if you were willing to spend the money.
Let us go then, you and I, when the evening is spread out against the sky, like a patient etherized upon a table.

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:48 pm

based on what you have provided: NOPE

(and it would probably be expensive to retrofit to get the garage back, even assuming that there's no new zoning factors that would prevent it (the old way would have been grandfathered))

{This also presumes that garages would be expected for the property. But I'd also wonder what the old garage had been converted to, and if not, it's just plain unusable space.... that costs a lot for nothing}

as for the half bath, that's less likely an issue, but odd that one would reduce the usefulness of any part of the house.

(... but I'm not a "city dweller" so I expect a garage to be usable)

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:52 pm

Is there any reason that you could not put a driveway back in to connect to the garage, or reconvert the half bath to a full bath?

That would obviously cost money and you might not want to do it now but if you have those options and the house is priced right then there would be less worry about the house being a white elephant.

One thing to keep in mind though is that in a strong housing market people will overlook some issues with a house but if you even need to sell the house in a bad housing market any issues like these become very important.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:59 pm

I’ve never owned a house with a garage. Pretty common in the city, I would say.I don’t think the bathroom thing would bother me, either.

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:09 am

If I were buying a house in the area of the country where it snows, and I owned a car, I most certainly would want a usable garage! It's a royal pain to dig your car out from snow. Also, a garage protects cars from hail and bird stuff and kids who cause mischief.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:19 am

Total deal breaker for me. Will not consider a house without a garage.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:43 am

Our last house had a garage that wasn’t usable for cars. There was street parking, and the house was short on storage, so we probably would have used the garage for storage anyway.

Our current house has a garage, and we park the cars in it. It would be awkward without a garage, because there isn’t much street parking.

It depends on what you want the garage for.

Assuming there’s a reasonable amount of street parking, I would be more bothered by the bath situation. Every house is a compromise. You won’t ever find exactly what you want. Picking the right house is about finding the place that has most of the stuff that’s important to you, and giving in on the stuff that’s less important.

catdude

Post by catdude » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:57 am

This is a very timely thread for me. I'm currently house-shopping, and one of the major issues is garage vs. no garage. One of my options is moving to a nearby resort community, but (for the most part) houses there don't have garages. The alternatives are standard single-family houses with attached garages. My current home has a garage and it's definitely very nice to have. Indispensable? I'm not sure. Anyway, I'll be paying careful attention to this thread.
catdude | | "Only in America." (Yogi Berra, after being told that the mayor of Catholic Dublin was Jewish)

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:02 am

For most of my life I had no idea why anyone would waste a perfectly good garage by parking a car in it.

Is it possible to add a detached garage? What is the cost of this vs. the price reductions on the house?

Bimmer

Post by Bimmer » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:10 am

I think it depends on you and if/how you would use your garage. It also depends significantly on the weather where you are (i.e. parking on street in snow). And it depends on how you feel about your cars.

I am a bit of a car guy. Our first house had no garage, and I immediately regreted it - no place to park my baby! We lived there 8 years and I certainly got over it, but I was extremely excited the first time I pulled my baby (2009 M3) into my new garage at my new house. We now have a smallish 2 car garage, so the other side is used for storage for bicycles and sporting equipment, and our other two cars are still parked in the driveway, even when snowing (which is not too often in Maryland). Ultimately I would actually love to have a three car garage, as I enjoy the space and do work on my cars in there, but don't need it and wouldn't move for it.

So it really depends on if/how you would use it and how you feel about your car/cars.
____________________________ | Bimmer | ____________________________

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:11 am

My third rental property, which I lived in myself for a year, has a quirky layout. It was originally a 2 bed, 1 bath, but only two years after original construction back in the 1950’s, the owner built an extension to create a massive master bedroom, and added a master half bath.

The problem is that to access the new master bedroom, you have to walk through the original bedroom. So, it’s not usable as a 3 bedroom, although plenty of people did so in the intervening decades.

Plus, and here’s the real kicker, in order to access the master half bath, you can walk through a pocket door from the master bedroom, or open the thin plastic accordion door to the original full bath.

Yes, it has both a pass-through bedroom and a pass-through bathroom.

For the life of me, I can’t figure out an affordable rehab to rearrange the layout without gutting the whole house. Neither could an interior designer or two remodelers.

This will have huge impact on my ability to sell.

Moral of the story: Unless it’s your forever dream home, don’t buy a house with funky layout problems.
“Life doesn’t come with a warranty.” -Michael LeBoeuf

DanielTheEarner

Post by DanielTheEarner » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:24 am

Before I bought my house (first and only one) I didn't give too much attention to this detail, I was considering houses without garages or with exterior open garages. However now after living for a while in my current house with a garage... I'm already building a second garage for my wife's car and my motorcycle. I can't imagine anymore having to park in front of the house (even though a lot of the neighbors are doing it), I feel a lot more protected having the car inside a closed garage.
MY answer would be a big NO.

The bathroom thing also sounds weird. You can't find the perfect house but having second thoughts is healthy, do not rush into buying it, I was one step away from rushing into buying a house because "meh I searched a lot, this house will suffice ". I would have regretted rushing and not searching more. I'm very happy with my current purchased house, all the waiting and searching paid off

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:38 am

In our Northeast suburb, it is uncommon to have a house without a garage (or two or three...). It definitely limits the buyer pool in our snowy clime. It’s a must-have for us.

Can a new garage access be created on the side where the (former) wrap around driveway passed by?

If you like the house enough, do a walk through with an architect or design-builder who can opine on feasibility and estimated cost of making the garage accessible and adding a full bath to children’s bedroom level.

ETA: in our area, having “only” a two-car garage is not as desirable...
Last edited by HomeStretch on Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:22 am

Garage is a must have and I would not buy a house without a garage. I keep my cars for a long time, so having them in the garage keeps them free from sun, hail, etc.

veindoc

Post by veindoc » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:36 am

You don’t elaborate in what part of the country you are in. If it snows there, access to the garage is imperative. If it doesn’t snow, not a deal breaker.

But seems like you have the answer to your question already. The house has been on the market for awhile, so it seems for resale people do want an accessible garage.
The bathroom thing would irk me too.

willygreen

Post by willygreen » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:44 am

I would think you need a garage anywhere it snows. Even more valuable is an attached garage where you can simply walk out to the car without going into the elements. My parents are retiring and have a house without a garage, and it keeps them away from doing things in the winter. They are afraid they are going to slip on the snow or ice and break something. Not to mention the inconvenience of scraping off your car. When we lived in California almost everyone kept their garage full of stuff and parked outside. Being midwesterners, we kept our garage clean and parked in there. I think we were the only ones on our street that parked both cars in the garage!

jfn111

Post by jfn111 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:51 am

Every house has a buyer, for the right price. Quirky layout, no garage, nuclear power plant next door :shock:
If you can buy the house with enough price adjustments to offset the faults it could work out fine for you.

cshell2

Post by cshell2 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:53 am

No. I most definitely would not. In fact, I've been kind of house shopping for awhile for a place in town instead of the country and I'm struggling with going the whole detached garage route. Having had a 3 car attached for the past 20 years has spoiled me.

Can you convert the driveway back to the way it was so you can use the garage again?

RJC

Post by RJC » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:53 am

I wouldn't.

A garage is useful for a number of reasons:
1. preserve the exterior of your car
2. easy to get in and out when it rains, snows
3. faster warm up in cold mornings
4. place to store big items, long-term storage
5. area for tools and hardware
6. cools your car in the summer months
Last edited by RJC on Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:53 am

CurlyDave wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:02 am
For most of my life I had no idea why anyone would waste a perfectly good garage by parking a car in it.
Interesting. I've always wondered why people store mostly worthless junk in their secured garage and park expensive vehicles out on the street. :P

I recently moved from CA to NH and what I've found is very few people park their cars in the garage. I thought maybe heavy snow in New England would change their minds. But nope. My assessment is based on the amount of condensation still left on exterior of cars at any given parking lot or in the case of NH: snow.

Not having an attached garage was a deal breaker for me in CA as well as in NH. Homes that I passed on were snapped up by others. So the answer to OP is yes to me but it apparently doesn't make it difficult to sell.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:01 am

Pepe.Silvia wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:37 pm
My wife an I are looking to move to a NYC suburb. My wife likes a house that has been sitting on the market for over a year with multiple price reductions. There are a good number of quirks to this house that (I think) have caused it to sit. The two biggest issues are the garage and the bathrooms. The house has a two car garage but it opens to the back of the house. The previous owner had a wrap around driveway to the backyard to access the garage but the current owner got rid of half the driveway (the part that wrapped around) so that cars cannot access the garage. I am guessing he did that to turn a smallish backyard into a bigger yard but now, for all intents and purposes, the house does not have a usable garage. The second issue is that the bedrooms that we would use for our children previously had a full bathroom in the hall on the same floor as those bedrooms (they are on the first floor). The current owner turned that hall bathroom into a half bathroom (no bathroom or shower). There are full bathrooms in the basement and on the top floor but its a weird setup.

That long winded summary leads to the question, would the garage issue be a deal breaker for anyone here? I could probably live without the garage but am I setting myself up for a situation where I won't be able to resell the house? The current owner is pretty set on the price he is asking so there doesn't look like there's the possibility of a big discount to make the garage issue more palatable.
This property sounds like a classic "white elephant".
While you may cope with its "issues" and find it a "good deal", future buyers when it comes time to sell will not and move on.
On resale, the same issues that exist now that cause price reductions, extended listing time, and no buyers, still exist, not to mention the property will be older. Do you want that to happen to you?
You can try to correct the problems but they may be "baked into the property" (like putting gold wheels on a 1972 Ford Maverick) and often ends up being a money pit. And, on resale, buyers will see the original house with the patch of corrections.
So, this is not just the garage issue.
There's more to be considered as a prudent buyer.

IMHO It pays (in many ways) to try to buy with resale or investment in mind, even a "forever home".

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:05 am

If it was priced right. A garage costs what $20-$30k to build. If you just put your car in the driveway then you can make due with a shed. Here in Chicago, during winter, I like to put my car in a garage so I don't have to scrape the frost off the windows every morning. Hail is another concern.

Alf 101

Post by Alf 101 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:10 am

I'll add my vote to the group that wouldn't buy a house without a garage. The caveat is that I live, and have lived, in places with a winter. If you have snow and/or ice storms, and a freeze-thaw cycle, that's a lot of damage and dealing with your vehicle.

As has been commented, people use their garages to store things -- either their car plus stuff, or just stuff. What does this property offer for storage, and what are your needs? Lawn mowers, bicycles, holiday decorations all have to go somewhere.

If you feel the set-up of your bathrooms is odd, that could also factor into how easy the home will be to resale. The kitchen and bathrooms seem to move the needle for potential buyers. We tried to sell a house with a full bathroom and a bathroom with a tub. We had to add a shower head to the tub, at our realtor's insistence, to make it marketable. From your description it seems like this property has 2.5 bathrooms, which should be just fine for most.

Above all, it is said, what sells houses is location. Everything is a trade-off. If you like the house, it has the space to work for your family, the price is right, and it eliminates a monster commute -- this seems good. On the other hand, this house has been on the market, and gone through several price reductions, for a reason. Our current home was a similar case -- on and off the market, with a number of price reductions, over time. We determined they had received bad advice and initially priced the house way too high; also we noticed they had been unwilling to do much to prepare the house for sale (e.g., fresh coat of paint), that apparently turned off other buyers, but were simple fixes. See what your realtor can find out.

Is it at all possible to turn the unusable garage into a usable one? This might not be cheap, using understatement here, but it would be worth asking your realtor, and could be relevant information in your decision and negotiations. Good luck.

Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:14 am

I wouldn't buy the house unless I knew I could rebuild the wrap-around driveway and be content with the smaller back yard. Agree with others, that I would never buy a house in snowy areas without a garage, but that's just me. Even in the South, I would at least want a "car-port" to keep the hot sun off my car.

LukeHeinz57

Post by LukeHeinz57 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:20 am

A garage is a must for me.
"Contentment", the only thing you ever truly need more of!

3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:26 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:01 am
Pepe.Silvia wrote:

While you may cope with its "issues" and find it a "good deal", future buyers when it comes time to sell will not and move on.
On resale, the same issues that exist now that cause price reductions, extended listing time, and no buyers, still exist, not to mention the property will be older. Do you want that to happen to you?
You can try to correct the problems but they may be "baked into the property" (like putting gold wheels on a 1972 Ford Maverick) and often ends up being a money pit. And, on resale, buyers will see the original house with the patch of corrections.
There's more to be considered as a prudent buyer.

IMHO It pays (in many ways) to try to buy with resale or investment in mind, even a "forever home".

I couldn’t agree more. Move on from this house.

FeesR-BullNotBullish

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:39 am

Yes I would consider a house without a garage, but I'd hesitate to buy a house with an unusable garage. The bathroom quirk is one I'd deal with.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:43 am

Just a disclaimer that I am not really normal, but the garage is the first thing I look at in a house. We passed on several houses when we were last shopping due to a non-existent or too-small garage. Reasons:

1) Preserves your cars (paint, interior, etc.)
2) Don't have to go out in the elements coming/going from the house
3) Don't have to clean snow/pollen/etc. from your car before driving somewhere.
4) Especially in locations where basements are not common, it's really helpful to have storage space for "dirty" items like paint cans and tools that don't really belong in the living space.
5) Where else are you going to start the next Amazon.com?

Foredeck

Post by Foredeck » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:51 am

Had a family friend who bought a house without a garage.
Years later when they were trying to sell the house. They had a harder time.
Buyers wanted a garage and for many it was a deal breaker. They eventually were able to sell, but it took a lot longer.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:52 am

Do we prefer one, yes. Is it a deal breaker? Not at all. Garage is not a necessity in AZ - at least for us.

We could easily live without one. We buy older cars so keeping them nice isn't an issue. We also don't keep junk around that would need to be stored in a garage. The only thing we need to keep in a garage type situation is bikes. But those can be kept under a tarp as well.

onourway

Post by onourway » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:57 am

We live in a snowy climate and have a carport for one vehicle. On-street parking is easy and convenient however. Even as a car guy, while I might like a garage, it's only one part of the overall package that makes the house. Location and overall style, quality, and condition of the main house would rank higher, unless there were no convenient parking available at all.

The vast majority of people I know end up just using the garage to accumulate stuff they don't really want or need. They may squeeze a car in there, but it's usually in between the piles of stuff. Not having a garage but an open car port has made us much more diligent about keeping things cleared out. There is nowhere for stuff to hide.

FWIW, in our city, not having a garage is the norm. If there is a garage, it's usually a tiny 1940's style that is too small for modern vehicles.

Quirkz

Post by Quirkz » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:58 am

I made it through 10 years without a garage, 5 in Chicago and 5 in Colorado. The Chicago setup, I didn't even have dedicated parking and had to fight all winter long for spots in the ice. It was a pain, but people live that way and get by fine.

I've since gotten places with garages, and don't think I'd want to go back. Then again, my current location can frost up roughly 8 months out of the year, and all that scraping can be a pain. Looking at my neighbors, half of them have garages but use them for storage and park outside anyway, regardless of snow or frost.

Would it be possible to add a second garage to the front of the house? Or even put in some kind of covering/carport?

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:05 am

I absolutely would and did. Virtually no houses in my neighborhood have garages. If I ever do get my DeLorean though, I intend to build a carport to have a roof to park it under.

seity

Post by seity » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:07 am

I live in a snowy climate. The garage has a support pole in the middle that makes parking cars in it a pain although doable. However, the opening is not tall enough to allow us to park the truck in it. We park both vehicles on the driveway and use the garage as a workshop/brewery/storage for lawnmower and snowblower. It just depends on how you plan to use it, so yes, I would buy a house with a garage setup like you mentioned. We only have 1 full bath for 4 people. Having a second, even on a different floor would be great. Neither of your issues would be a deal breaker for me if the price was right.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:14 am

My car and another person's car I know of were both damaged by hail. A garage is a necessity.

Particularly as I get older, shoveling a car out of the snow is not happening. It's also easier to hire people to plow or snow blow the driveway. I don't know of anyone in my area I could hire to shovel a car out.

I really wish my garage was attached to the house, so I could go between them out of the weather, particularly for multiple trips carrying packages.

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:14 am

Pepe.Silvia wrote:
...for all intents and purposes, the house does not have a usable garage.
I could not disagree more. Garages are for bicycles. This is a perfectly usable garage if you can store your quiver of bicycles.

:D

davebo

Post by davebo » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:23 am

No, I wouldn't buy a house without a garage or a basement.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:30 am

If it is a walkable neighborhood with good public transit and I am planning to live there for 20 years, I would definitely consider buying a house without a garage.

I try not to drive very much anyway for environmental reasons. I especially prefer not to drive in wintry weather (and take the bus instead.) My hope by the end of 20 years is that self-driving cars that can be summoned on demand will eventually eliminate need for individual ownership of cars and parking/storage concerns.

Meanwhile could you construct a carport to help with the digging out of snow issue? (Possibly even a carport with solar on top?)

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:33 am

I like a garage, but I don't see the lack of a garage as the fatal flaw in this house. The fatal flaw is not having a real bathroom for the kids. That will be a daily aggravation. Actually both with be a daily aggravation.

Their bathroom choice may have been fine for a couple but not for a family.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:38 am

alfaspider wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:43 am
Just a disclaimer that I am not really normal, but the garage is the first thing I look at in a house. We passed on several houses when we were last shopping due to a non-existent or too-small garage. Reasons:

1) Preserves your cars (paint, interior, etc.)
3) Don't have to clean snow/pollen/etc. from your car before driving somewhere.
4) Especially in locations where basements are not common, it's really helpful to have storage space for "dirty" items like paint cans and tools that don't really belong in the living space.
5) Where else are you going to start the next Amazon.com?
Same for me, but for a different reason: it's my gym. Our gym costs more than our car did new and we value it as such. With a family of 4 our ideal house would be about ~1300sq. ft 3/2 rambler with an unfinished basement...and a 4-car garage.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:39 am

retiredjg wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:33 am
I like a garage, but I don't see the lack of a garage as the fatal flaw in this house. The fatal flaw is not having a real bathroom for the kids. That will be a daily aggravation. Actually both with be a daily aggravation.

Is it really that big of a deal to walk up or down stairs to shower?

3funder

Post by 3funder » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:41 am

No; I would not.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:49 am

stoptothink wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:39 am
retiredjg wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:33 am

Is it really that big of a deal to walk up or down stairs to shower?
Not a big deal for our family now, but if I had younger kids it would be a safety concern. I wouldn’t want to carry young kids and stuff (towels, pjs) up or down stairs at bath time. I wouldn’t want to worry about them falling down the stairs if they walked down themselves sleepy after a bath with slippers or feety pajamas.

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:03 am

alfaspider wrote:
If you have an attached garage. I assume you need to go out into the elements and typically walk farther to get from your origin/destination to where your car is parked than from the garage or driveway to your entrance.

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:06 am

I used to own a house without a garage (it was converted to add square footage). It was much harder to sell than one with a garage. I did sell it (I lived in a HCOL area), but I remember the realtor saying many buyers didn't even want to look at the house because it didn't have a garage.

People use garages for storage and to protect their cars from extreme weather.
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:10 am

sschoe2 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:03 am
alfaspider wrote:
If you have an attached garage. I assume you need to go out into the elements and typically walk farther to get from your origin/destination to where your car is parked than from the garage or driveway to your entrance.
Not if you work somewhere with a parking garage (I do).

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:16 am

I always said I'd never buy a house without a garage until a house that was perfect came on the market except for practically having no garage. It has a garage but its too small to get anything but a small sports car into but so we use it for kayak parking. I do wish we had a garage but parking outside isn't as big of a deal as I thought and the other positives for the house more than make up for the lack of garage. Also we have a relatively mild climate in the Pacific Northwest.

How would the house be with the driveway reinstalled?

The bigger deal for me would be the bathroom situation unless your kids are about the leave the house or you are willing to turn it back into a full bath. I also don't think I'd like having my kids on the ground floor while we are upstairs.

You should be getting a significant discount on this house relative to other similar sized and condition houses in the neighborhood. This is because when it comes time to sell because you'll have to pass this discount on to your future buyers if you want to sell it. Did the sellers initially price it like there weren't these two weird problems? I would for sure lowball in this situation if you decide the detractors are livable.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beehave

Post by Beehave » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:32 am

(edited - - Quote below is from Sandtrap - - my agreement with that post and my comment follows that - - apologies to Sandtrap for botching the quote function here!)

There's more to be considered as a prudent buyer

+1 Fully agree. Don't buy the house facing the wrong way or with the wrong bathrooms, or, or, or. The current owner can't sell it. Not likely you'll be able to either. Home should be what is common to the neighborhood.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:44 am

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:05 am
I absolutely would and did. Virtually no houses in my neighborhood have garages. If I ever do get my DeLorean though, I intend to build a carport to have a roof to park it under.
I would buy a house without a garage if all my neighbors also didn't have garages. I wouldn't want to be the one house without it when I go to sell. I sort of feel the bathroom is the same way. I could live with it. I don't want to be looking for the same buyer than could also live with it. I would need some killer deal (i.e. low enough that I could think about building a garage/redoing the floor to put in a bathroom) to buy this house over the normal house next door.