UPDATE to What to do with a 24" analog CRT TV?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
MandyT

UPDATE to What to do with a 24" analog CRT TV?

Post by MandyT »

I'll be moving about 100 miles in a few weeks. I've been using an analog Sanyo TV with a digital converter box. It works well enough, but the old-fashioned aspect ratio results in part of the picture getting cut off at the sides. I've been telling myself that I"ll upgrade "when I move"; after 14 years, that's finally happening.

I'm not exactly sure what to do with my old TV. The model is listed on eBay for a little over $100, but I don't know if it has a chance of actually selling at that price. My inclination is to just take it to the electronic recycling center, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask for suggestions here.
Last edited by MandyT on Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
SurfCityBill

Re: What to do with a 24" analog CRT TV?

Post by SurfCityBill »

Recycle. No one is going to buy it on eBay. It would cost more to ship than it's worth. Or call Goodwill. I was surprised to find they still wanted a 24" Toshiba I was about to get rid of.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

I would recycle it. I don't even think Good Will takes those any more.
DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny »

It should fit in your trash can.
Funding secured
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Put on curb with sign: Free!
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Put it on the garbage can with a sign saying it works.

We have pickers who roll thru our neighborhood, and we are successful in getting working things picked up. We wouldn't leave things if someone wouldn't claim it, as the garbage isn't the proper place to get rid of electronics.

Most of the neighborhood has the phone number of a long time picker. He seems to be doing well as he started showing up in a nicer truck.

Called him to pick up an ugly but serviceable four-drawer file cabinet a couple of weeks ago. He came by a couple of hours later.

I have heard of freecycle, no experience though.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Topic Author
MandyT

Post by MandyT »

I didn't mean to imply that I was actually going to try to sell it on eBay; just wondering whether there might be value I was overlooking. Apparently there are some older model TV's that are of interest to gamers, but I don't think this is one of them.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

DanMahowny wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:46 pm It should fit in your trash can.
Wouldn't work in our little 'burb, the crew would leave it.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I really doubt you will get money for it. It's more likely you will have to pay to dispose of it. If you throw it away there is a possibility of a penalty. Best Buy will take it if you pay them $25 (seriously). Some states have free recycling mandated. Illinois and California, maybe others.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

I'd try to recycle it.
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
SR II

Post by SR II »

Donate it to a museum. Hahaha!
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc »

Take it to the gun range
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Believe you may need to have it recycled into component parts. Believe Best Buy charges $25 to recycle TVs up to 27". (Call to verify.)
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

The TV is no longer on the curb and already gone, right?
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

Backyard + baseball bat
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Make some calls to charities, I'm sure you'll find a taker.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
Raryn

Post by Raryn »

Put an ad on Craigslist.

Those older CRTs are actually in reasonably decent demand due to them being superior for certain classic video games (such as Super Smash Brothers Melee) that are still holding tournaments. There's fewer and fewer of them around these days.

If there's an active scene for this in your area, someone would be happy to take it off your hands. Hell, you might even be able to get $50-60 for it ($100 might be a bit much to ask).
LookinAround

Post by LookinAround »

It's irresponsible (and IMHO downright disrespectful) to simply throw it away or leave it on a curb.

Take it to Best Buy. In most states, there's a $25 fee they'll accept and recycle up to a 32" tube TV. (There are no store drop-off fees in California. Stores in Connecticut and Pennsylvania do not accept TVs for drop-off.)

See their site https://www.bestbuy.com/site/services/r ... 9900050025

As also mentioned, some cities (e.g. Chicago) have their own free drop off spots. But call ahead. As they may only accept drop offs on certain days and times in the week
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Even the junk guys in our neighborhood, nw burbs of Chicago, wont take them! As suggested look for recycling sites in your area. Our city and county have recycling centers available.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Charitable donation if it plays well. Boys or girls charities, homes for the elderly or so forth.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

midareff wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:01 am Charitable donation if it plays well. Boys or girls charities, homes for the elderly or so forth.
All of the charities around me explicity say no CRTs. They don't want to get stuck having to pay to get rid of them.

You can spend the 15 mins to put it on craigslist, letgo, and the rest and hope you get lucky. Otherwise pay the money and get the TV disposed of properly. Just be glad it isn't a 36" WEGA that weights like 250lbs:)
jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich »

Take it to ewaste please and do not put in your trash. TVs need to be recycled appropriately. In our town in California, the dump accepts ewaste for free in sorted dumpsters. Also just helped get rid of a TV in Oregon last weekend and the local Goodwill drop off also had signs accepting ewaste for free through an Oregon State program.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

First off asking prices on Ebay and Craigslist are meaningless folks ask all kinds of crazy prices for their junk. On Ebay you need to look at completed auctions that sold to get a sense of whether this item is selling and for what amount. CL is almost impossible to determine prices for since sold stuff isn't really listed after it is sold. Unless you are watching items and seeing what sells and what doesn't (based on when ads are taken down) you really won't have a sense of the market.

There is a small niche market for certain CRTs those are the HDTV capable ones from the very end of the CRT era. These are 16:9 sets that support 720p/1080i. These were fairly expensive sets in their time and yes some gamers seeks them out. I had a 30" Sony like that that I either gave away or sold for $25 five years ago (I don't recall the details). It came with the Sony matching stand as well. They weren't exactly beating my door down to get it but after a week or so a young gamer took it and I was thankful because the thing was crazy heavy.

I don't believe any HDTV capable CRTs were made in the 24" size so your is probably junk. Recycle it.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

randomguy wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:13 am
midareff wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:01 am Charitable donation if it plays well. Boys or girls charities, homes for the elderly or so forth.
All of the charities around me explicity say no CRTs. They don't want to get stuck having to pay to get rid of them.
+1 All you are doing is sticking the charity with a boat anchor they are going to have to pay to get rid of.
ChowYunPhat

Post by ChowYunPhat »

As Napolean said in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.....Blow it up.
A wise man and his money are friends forever...
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

LookinAround wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:15 pm It's irresponsible (and IMHO downright disrespectful) to simply throw it away or leave it on a curb.

Take it to Best Buy. In most states, there's a $25 fee they'll accept and recycle up to a 32" tube TV. (There are no store drop-off fees in California. Stores in Connecticut and Pennsylvania do not accept TVs for drop-off.)

See their site https://www.bestbuy.com/site/services/r ... 9900050025

As also mentioned, some cities (e.g. Chicago) have their own free drop off spots. But call ahead. As they may only accept drop offs on certain days and times in the week
Check the website for your city or county for waste disposal. Charlotte has 4 staffed recycling centers that accept batteries, electronics, bulky waste like furniture, mattresses, paint and other chemicals etc. That is in addition to the normal stuff like plastic, glass, corrugated cardboard, etc. that you can normally recycle in your roll-out bin.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

Housedoc wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 6:14 pm Take it to the gun range
That was my first thought, lol.
midareff

Post by midareff »

THY4373 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:41 am
+1 All you are doing is sticking the charity with a boat anchor they are going to have to pay to get rid of.
Sorry you feel that way.... try calling a Catholic Charities store?
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I remember seeing better TV’s than that in thrift stores ten years ago for $25. Most people are on their second or third flat screen TV now. Unless you can find a free electronics recycling program, you’re probably going to have to pay to get rid of it.
flyphotoguy

Post by flyphotoguy »

donate or recycle it. drop it off best buy/staples or any local electronics store and they should be able to handle ewaste for you.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

midareff wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:14 am
My local ones don't want CRTs. Feel free to call any of the places and see if they want it. Just don't dump it in some unattended bin and think you are doing anything but costing them money.

Shooting a CRT sounds like fun but how are you going to collect all that leaded glass afterwards and dispose of it?
enoch7

Post by enoch7 »

I recently bought an old CRT off a neighbor for $50. It was my son’s top Christmas request. The retro videogaming community is quite large and working CRTs are hard to come by. Digital TVs have far too much latency for speed running. Put it on your local craigslist and someone will come pick it up.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

Take it with you or put it out with the trash.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Buy an old pong console on eBay and relive old times!

ChowYunPhat

Post by ChowYunPhat »

Al Pacino wanted to check in on the thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDbsXuyfN9w
A wise man and his money are friends forever...
CAsage

Post by CAsage »

It's toxic waste at this point. No one wants a 24" CRT. Check with your local city to find out where you can drop it. Recycle for the environment.
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.
Socrates

Post by Socrates »

Take it to the dump. They have a recycle are and will take it and dispose of it properly. You could also try free Craigslist.
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.
Topic Author
MandyT

Post by MandyT »

Checking back in to avoid being a hit-and-run poster.

I haven't done anything with the TV yet because I'm not moving until mid-July. My town recycles electronic waste, but CRT TV's are not free to recycle. The fee is probably nominal, but my sense is that I could find a way to give it away without having to pay to get rid of it.

Part of me is tempted to keep it--I like the size and model. I'm used to living where over-the-air TV is not an option, but I might be able to get several stations with a converter box and a digital antenna in my new location. I have some decisions to make regarding cord-cutting whether or not I get a new TV, but that discussion probably doesn't belong in this thread.

Thanks for your suggestions, whether serious or not-so-much.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

MandyT wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:35 pm Checking back in to avoid being a hit-and-run poster.

I haven't done anything with the TV yet because I'm not moving until mid-July. My town recycles electronic waste, but CRT TV's are not free to recycle. The fee is probably nominal, but my sense is that I could find a way to give it away without having to pay to get rid of it.

Part of me is tempted to keep it--I like the size and model. I'm used to living where over-the-air TV is not an option, but I might be able to get several stations with a converter box and a digital antenna in my new location. I have some decisions to make regarding cord-cutting whether or not I get a new TV, but that discussion probably doesn't belong in this thread.

Most (all?) tvs have built in digital tuners these days so you can get over the air receptions with any of them. Your question is do you want to spend 25 bucks to get rid of the old tv and 75 bucks to get a new flat screen that will use a fraction of the power and be significantly lighter.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Many years ago, we ran into the same conundrum. This was back when everyone was switching from B&W to color. We had to get rid of our old B&W TV.

Solution? Put it in a cardboard box and get out the 12-gauge! A splendid time was had by all!

I think it ended up in small enough pieces that we could put in the trash, but that was a long time ago in a galaxy far away so my memory is inadequate for precision on that.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

livesoft wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:47 pm Put on curb with sign: Free!
+1
👍
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

CAsage wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:54 am It's toxic waste at this point. No one wants a 24" CRT. Check with your local city to find out where you can drop it. Recycle for the environment.
I had to pay an electronics recycling center $25 to take my old 20" Sanyo. I was glad to get rid of it!
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

MandyT wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:35 pm Checking back in to avoid being a hit-and-run poster.

Like several other posters on this thread, I've found that nobody, and I do mean nobody, wants these things. For example, I've also run into charities explicitly rejecting CRT TVs. I also think it is irresponsible to dump it in the trash, or leave it out on the curb.

Find out what local government organization or business will take it, pay the nominal recycling fee and dispose of it properly.

And obviously you've seen other people's flat screen TVs, but after you've had yours for about, oh, two hours, I'm guessing you'll be thinking "I can't believe I waited this long to get rid of that old TV." You can get a decent flat screen for an amazingly small amount of money. And it will take up less space, use less electricity ...
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

In the past my town had one day on which we could place such CRTs at the curb, but they decided not to continue it. So the town had no longer interest in recycling, left it to us to recycle! We decided to let the large garbage company recycle our old CRTs and placed them inside our garbage containers. We do the same with old computers after smashing the hard drives.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Right now at Best Buy, the cheapest digital converter box is $49.99. The cheapest 24 or 32” flat screen, hi def TV is $69.99. The new TV will use less power, be lighter, have a much better picture, and isn’t already obsolete.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

midareff wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:14 am
It is not how I feel but rather what I read on various websites of places that take donations (I am in the middle of rather large downsizing effort). Place after place mentioned not taking CRTs. If you check with the organization and they are happy to take them then go for it. Just check first that was all I was saying.
NavyIC3

Post by NavyIC3 »

Put it on the curb with a sign that says $5.00. This way someone will steal it.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

^I like that idea. :)

But if it doesn't disappear, then pay to have it recycled/disposed of as mentioned by many others. You have only 24 to 48 hours to lose to try to have it stolen or picked up for free.
midareff

Post by midareff »

NavyIC3 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:55 pm
Put it on the curb with a sign that says $5.00. This way someone will steal it.
Better still have the sign say works great, free to good home
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:51 pm
DanMahowny wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:46 pm It should fit in your trash can.
Wouldn't work in our little 'burb, the crew would leave it.

Broken Man 1999
Same here, we have to take it to their recycle center few miles away.