Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4 ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tennisplyr

Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4 ?

Post by tennisplyr »

Long time Honda owner thinking about getting a new CRV. Was wondering how a RAV4 would compare especially on price and reliability. Your thoughts?
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
anil686

Re: Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4 ?

Post by anil686 »

There is a lot of concern with oil dilution issues with the CRV (long thread on bogleheads below). I bought one two years ago and have been monitoring the thread on bogleheads like a hawk. Personally, if I had to do it over again, it would be a Rav4 - JMO though...

viewtopic.php?t=244271&start=450
researcher

Post by researcher »

tennisplyr wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:49 am Long time Honda owner thinking about getting a new CRV. Was wondering how a RAV4 would compare especially on price and reliability. Your thoughts?
Neither. The Honda has engine issues and the Toyota is underwhelming all around.

Go with the Mazda CX-5 instead.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

We switched from a 2001 CRV to a 2015 RAV4 and haven't missed the old CRV. Other than new features in the RAV4 it has been a similar experience. The only reason we switched is because we didn't have a local Honda dealer. The first CRV we bought used online without thinking about that and thus had to drive it 100 miles to the nearest Honda dealer anytime we needed something done at the dealership.
FinTruth

Post by FinTruth »

I made the same decision, and went with a Subaru Forester. Quieter, more features, lower price, spacious. First Subaru for a family with Honda's and Toyotas. Great car so far.
woody86

Post by woody86 »

Take a look at Hyundai Tucson.
gogleheads.orb

Post by gogleheads.orb »

tennisplyr wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:49 am Long time Honda owner thinking about getting a new CRV. Was wondering how a RAV4 would compare especially on price and reliability. Your thoughts?
I bought the rav4 rather than the crv after reading the oil dilution thread. I was freaked out that China was banning the sale of the offending engine.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

researcher wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:03 am
Neither. The Honda has engine issues and the Toyota is underwhelming all around.

Absolutely agree- -best answer and solution.
flyphotoguy

Post by flyphotoguy »

Rav-4, unless it's a totally new model for the year and the bugs are not known yet. I'm disappointed that the newer CRV have that issue mentioned above. My moms early 2000s model, which she bought new, is still running with no issues. If it needs a big fix she'll probably donate or get rid of it for cheap. Good luck!
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

smitcat wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:38 am

Absolutely agree- -best answer and solution.
+1

CX-5 looks, drives and feels great. Interior is on another level from the CRV and RAV4, and the ergonomics, performance and comfort is better too. Mazda was ranked 3 in consumer reports reliability study while Honda was 15.

The CR-V is great if you are okay taking a risk with the oil solution issue.

The RAV-4 is underwhelming, uses cheap interior materials, has a rough drive train and just doesn’t match its peers. It’s like every other Toyota. Mediocre in every way and riding on the Toyota name. It’s like they didn’t even try to make it a competitive vehicle.
mhc

Post by mhc »

I have a 16 year old CRV that I want to replace soon. Here are my impressions. The reliability of the CRV has dropped. The RAV4 is rough around the edges. My research shows that the Outback is the better car. Unfortunately, it is too long for my garage. I'll probably go with the 2020 CRV when it comes out. I'm an Android user, so the RAV4 not having Android Auto kills the deal for me.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
Weston

Post by Weston »

My wife has a three year old CRV. We are in unanimous agreement that it is the worst car either of us have owned in 45 years of owning cars. Constant mechanical and electronic issues. Parts of the interior trim were clearly done on the cheap. The seats are extremely uncomfortable for long drives.

We owned a Honda Odyssey back when our kids were young and were both thrilled with it. The CRV has been the exact opposite experience. We probably won't buy another Honda of any kind as a result of this experience.
azanon

Post by azanon »

Reliability, it's no contest for 3 reasons - RAV4 wins: 1. RAV4 engine is naturally aspired, vs CRV's turbo (which is causing major issues btw). Per Scotty Kilmer, turbo engines are just not as reliable 2. CRV uses a garbage CVT transmission, and the RAV4 doesn't. Also per scotty kilmer, CVT's are best avoided, and are complex and very expensive to fix, and less reliable. 3. Toyota has greatly passed Honda lately in terms of just brand reliability.

RAV4's are going for a premium though. TBH, the better deal (if you can live with the large size) is the Highlander. They don't cost all that much more than a RAV4, and it's just a lot more vehicle for the $$$.
tdmp

Post by tdmp »

azanon wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:53 am
Reliability, it's no contest for 3 reasons - RAV4 wins: 1. RAV4 engine is naturally aspired, vs CRV's turbo (which is causing major issues btw). Per Scotty Kilmer, turbo engines are just not as reliable 2. CRV uses a garbage CVT transmission, and the RAV4 doesn't. Also per scotty kilmer, CVT's are best avoided, and are complex and very expensive to fix, and less reliable. 3. Toyota has greatly passed Honda lately in terms of just brand reliability.

RAV4's are going for a premium though. TBH, the better deal (if you can live with the large size) is the Highlander. They don't cost all that much more than a RAV4, and it's just a lot more vehicle for the $$$.
Love Scotty Kilmer and his YouTube videos. So u agree with the RAV-4 ...legendary Toyota reliability: hard to pass up.
Southtonorth

Post by Southtonorth »

RAV4 2018 model has a poor rating for the passenger side front collision. I think RAV4 2019 model is better. However, headlight rating is still low.

Why not CX-5 or Forester?
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

A big NO to CRV - EX and above models due to oil dilution
Basic trim hold traditional engine and good with that but you miss the safety features like Collision control, Lane departure warning etc

RAV4 - a little small but very reliable engine.
Safety features in all the trims.

I bought 2018 EX in Jan 2018 but worried a lot for oil dilution now :(
Dont buy Turbo engine models if you still go with CR-V

My recommendation on RAV4 ..
Allocation : 80/20 (90% TSM, 10% on ARKK,XBI,XLK/individual stocks and 20% TBM) | | Need to learn fishing sooner
azanon

Post by azanon »

tdmp wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:01 pm

Love Scotty Kilmer and his YouTube videos. So u agree with the RAV-4 ...legendary Toyota reliability: hard to pass up.
I think boglehead's in general would really like Scotty Kilmer. He hits on a lot of the things we enjoy too, and love how he declares himself cheap despite being a multi-millionaire.
ad2007

Post by ad2007 »

We're also in the market for a similar car for our daughter who's in high school.

We're ruled out the CRV because of the oil dilution thing. The RAV 4 is not on the radar, we might have to check it out.

My thought is the VW golf/gti/tiguan might fit the bill because of the 6yr 72K mi warranty. She'll be out of college by then and the car will still be under warranty. I've heard mixed reviews about VW, but it can't be that bad while still under factory warranty. Right??
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

ad2007 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:45 pm We're also in the market for a similar car for our daughter who's in high school.

We're ruled out the CRV because of the oil dilution thing. The RAV 4 is not on the radar, we might have to check it out.

My thought is the VW golf/gti/tiguan might fit the bill because of the 6yr 72K mi warranty. She'll be out of college by then and the car will still be under warranty. I've heard mixed reviews about VW, but it can't be that bad while still under factory warranty. Right??
I would read the reviews and the complaint issues with the RAV4 carefully before selecting - FWIW the Mazda CX5 hits all the value buttons and has very few complaints.
azanon

Post by azanon »

smitcat wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:16 pm
ad2007 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:45 pm We're also in the market for a similar car for our daughter who's in high school.

I would read the reviews and the complaint issues with the RAV4 carefully before selecting - FWIW the Mazda CX5 hits all the value buttons and has very few complaints.
One think I really like about the CX5 (2019, not sure about all previous years), which one ups both the RAV4 and CRV; Ours are all assembled in Japan (VIN starts with J). The RAV4/CRV are not.
fleetwdl

Post by fleetwdl »

2005 RAV4 4WD now over 150k miles with never a problem. Went to a nephew who tests..er drives it daily. 2015 Limited with 40k and nary a problem. When they reach 100k, no $1000 timing belt+ maintenance. If yu like DIY maintenance, I find it easy on the RAV4. Honda continues to build interference engines, so if your timing belt does break, you have a major engine repair or replace.

RAV4 is not overwhelming in any sense, but it is not built to be. I have found them to be very reliable and easy to work on. Oh, and DW loves her 2015 Ravvy, so you know what that means.
aj44

Post by aj44 »

I would go with Toyota over Honda at this point in time, in addition to the other points I just think Toyotas look better. I have a 16 Accord touring that I love and hated the redesign in 18, the latest models of the Camry and RAV4 to me look head over heels better than Honda’s offering.
kilkoyne

Post by kilkoyne »

CX-5 and use the tweaks to add Android Auto.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I wouldn't plan too far out. We gave our oldest daughter a 2007 Ford Edge with ~90k miles. Great car. Thought she could drive through college. A bit over 1 year in, a driver ran a red light. That car was totaled. Next kid got into a fender bender that was repairable. Nobody hurt in either of the accidents.

The insurance on a new/nearly new car will be very high. I would not buy a teen high school driver a new $25k to $30k car. They are driving surrounded by other poor teen drivers. Parking lots are a zoo.

Best laid plans. Hopefully she drives without incident. We have one more driver to go in the future. Never the path you expect...
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

We bought a 2016 GSW (Golf Sportwagen) - brand new, first new car ever! Got it for $18,500 + TTL, thanks to dieselgate price drops. VW deals can still be had. The "base" model is quite well equipped IMO, and offer a fit and finish, and overall feel of a higher priced car. Won't find a nicer car for under $20k new - there are still many deals to be had on them, too.

52k miles so far and never back to a dealer for anything.
They also get high safety scores. I would recommend a Golf, Sportwagen if more cargo space needed, and an Alltrack or 4mo-Sportwagen if AWD desired. The Tiguan is larger and drives "un-Golf" like. The Golf hits a sweet-spot.
I have the 1.8T and get great gas mileage. I would be happy with the 2019's 1.4T also (Golf/GSW only) - another 10% increase in efficiency and plenty powerful.
megabad

Post by megabad »

azanon wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:53 am 2. CRV uses a garbage CVT transmission, and the RAV4 doesn't. Also per scotty kilmer, CVT's are best avoided, and are complex and very expensive to fix, and less reliable.
You sure about that? I thought a review of the RAV4 I read stated it had a CVT (2019). There aren't many small vehicles without CVT these days. I am not a fan, but every new vehicle I have driven in the past few years has had one.

I would go RAV4, personally OP. I thought about recommending a Forrester but I have unfortunately experienced some reliability issues lately.
California88

Post by California88 »

Just bought 2019 RAV4 LE (not the Hybrid) - and I love it. RAV4's don't have CVT transmissions - or turbo engines.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

California88 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:39 pm RAV4's don't have CVT transmissions - or turbo engines.
Nor do they have anything about them designed or engineered within the last 25 years.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

ssquared87 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:03 pm
California88 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:39 pm RAV4's don't have CVT transmissions - or turbo engines.
Nor do they have anything about them designed or engineered within the last 25 years.
And that would be a good thing or a bad thing?
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

adamthesmythe wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:23 pm
And that would be a good thing or a bad thing?
Depends on perspective I guess. It’s good in that you know it’s reliable.

It’s bad in that the performance and refinement of the RAV 4 and most of Toyota’s products are not even close to that of a Mazda CX-5 and the mazda’s reliability is very close to the Toyota.

If we were talking a massive improvement in reliability in exchange for Inferior technology then I’d probably take the Toyota route. But the gap in reliability is marginal and it seems Toyota is just resting on its laurels and putting out an inferior product while it’s competitors are improving their technology with little impact on reliability. Granted no reliability study is perfect but in the latest consumer reports, 1. Lexus 2. Toyota 3. Mazda.

That’s good enough for me.
Invisi8

Post by Invisi8 »

I don’t know about that, have you heard the new mpg ratings on the rav4 hybrid? That is far beyond any other suv. Plus, combine that with the fact that they’ve been doing their hybrid system for about 20 years with amazing reliability, and I know what my next car will be.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

megabad wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:47 pm
azanon wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:53 am 2. CRV uses a garbage CVT transmission, and the RAV4 doesn't. Also per scotty kilmer, CVT's are best avoided, and are complex and very expensive to fix, and less reliable.
You sure about that? I thought a review of the RAV4 I read stated it had a CVT (2019). There aren't many small vehicles without CVT these days. I am not a fan, but every new vehicle I have driven in the past few years has had one.

I would go RAV4, personally OP. I thought about recommending a Forrester but I have unfortunately experienced some reliability issues lately.
What year is your Forester? What are the issues?
azanon

Post by azanon »

megabad wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:47 pm

Yes I am certain. The 2019 Toyota RAV4 has an 8-speed automatic transmission. Now the hybrids, by design, I believe must have a CVT. I wasn't talking about the hybrid. Since i was referencing Scotty Kilmer, Scotty generally does not recommend hybrids.
powerhouse

Post by powerhouse »

Bought a new Hyundai Tucson Ultimate a few days ago. Styling was an important factor for me. Then came warranty and reliability. It had to have an NA engine, no CVT. Crossed-off the CRV because of the oil dilution issue and CVT. Crossed-off the RAV4 because it's a first year model (want to wait until they fix all the new car bugs) and styling (too many square edges for me). Otherwise, the specs looked really good on the RAV4. I test drove a CX5, but I didn't feel like it was that much of a step up from the Tucson. Interior is slightly nicer. The infotainment system is easy to use, but a bit out of the date.
mnnice

Post by mnnice »

We test drove a 2019 RAV4 adventure. We liked it. I then read some reviews. Toyota doesn’t sell a hitch for it despite bragging about it’s 3500 towing capacity. People that have bought them have struggled to find an aftermarket one too.

Might be a deal breaker since the point of the purchase would be to get rid of the 3/4 ton truck I loathe driving and have something less ungainly for more everyday driving.
flyphotoguy

Post by flyphotoguy »

mnnice wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:41 am We test drove a 2019 RAV4 adventure. We liked it. I then read some reviews. Toyota doesn’t sell a hitch for it despite bragging about it’s 3500 towing capacity. People that have bought them have struggled to find an aftermarket one too.

Might be a deal breaker since the point of the purchase would be to get rid of the 3/4 ton truck I loathe driving and have something less ungainly for more everyday driving.
you can check out etrailer.com and give em a call to make sure that the product fits/installation needs/etc. I bought a hitch for our cars here and they have a good price/options. Good luck!
G12

Post by G12 »

I wouldn't get a CRV with the 1.5T engine as others have said, oil dilution risk makes that a non-starter. Maybe consider the new Honda Passport, has the same engine and transmission as the Pilot without 3rd row seating yet still roomy cargo space. I have a 2017 Pilot AWD with close to 35k miles and it has been trouble free. I live in GA, have been to MT, up to Glacier National in snow and ice, been to Estes Park, CO up into Rocky Mountain NP, was in Montrose CO a couple of weeks ago, hit Monarch Pass in both directions with some snow, etc. It has been a very reliable vehicle and have gotten 24 to 32 mpg on different trips under different conditions. Passport may be a tad larger than you are considering yet I would definitely take a look at it in addition to the CRV and RAV4, that is what I would have gotten if it were available in 2017.

https://www.caranddriver.com/honda/passport
megabad

Post by megabad »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:58 am
megabad wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:47 pm I would go RAV4, personally OP. I thought about recommending a Forrester but I have unfortunately experienced some reliability issues lately.
What year is your Forester? What are the issues?
2013. It sort of caught on fire. They are still trying to determine whether it falls under the recall or not. I am used to car issues, but the catching fire thing gives me pause.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

+1 for the Highlander suggestion. I upgraded from a RAV4 and haven’t looked back.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Mazda CX-5 is the leader in this segment by a country mile. Far better materials (especially in the upper trim levels, which start to approach luxury brand levels) and fit/finish than the Rav4 or CRV, more comfortable, more engaging to drive, and a good implementation of Android Auto. Reliability right up there with the outgoing Rav4 (new one is still an unknown), and significantly better than the current CRV.

I had one as a rental car about two months ago, and was positively amazed at the quality compared to the price. My parents have been thinking about swapping my Dad's subcompact sedan for a small SUV and had asked me for advice. I told them to go for the CX-5.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

+1..drive a CX-5(especially the turbo) and you will see
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

azanon wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:23 pm
One think I really like about the CX5 (2019, not sure about all previous years), which one ups both the RAV4 and CRV; Ours are all assembled in Japan (VIN starts with J). The RAV4/CRV are not.
The 2019 RAV4 is made in Canada and Japan. Which build you get determines which plant it's assembled at...e.g., the panoramic roof means Japan, while the adaptive headlights means Canada.

And the reviews are clear - the hybrid RAV4 has much better road noise insulation and hp than the non-hybrid. Since it gets 40 mpg in mixed use driving, it's high on my list.

The Subaru Forester interior looks exactly like the Legacy wagon interior I bought in 1997; the Mazda CX-5 only gets 25 mpg.
Last edited by Sandi_k on Sat May 18, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

California88 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:39 pm Just bought 2019 RAV4 LE (not the Hybrid) - and I love it. RAV4's don't have CVT transmissions - or turbo engines.
RAV4 HYBRIDS do have CVTs. Just to be pedantic.

The non-hybrids do NOT have a CVT.
Dick D

Post by Dick D »

Purchased a 2018 CRV in June of last year and am happy with it as with my other Honda's. We test drove the RAV4 and decided not to purchase it do to its poor safety rating on passenger side frontal collisions; it failed the test.
azanon

Post by azanon »

Sandi_k wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:16 pm
azanon wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:23 pm
The 2019 RAV4 is made in Canada and Japan. Which build you get determines which plant it's assembled at...e.g., the panoramic roof means Japan, while the adaptive headlights means Canada.

And the reviews are clear - the hybrid RAV4 has much better road noise insulation and hp than the non-hybrid. Since it gets 40 mpg in mixed use driving, it's high on my list.

The Subaru Forester interior looks exactly like the Legacy wagon interior I bought in 1997; the Mazda CX-5 only gets 25 mpg.
Thanks for the info on some RAV4's being built in Japan. Just confirmed that myself. I had seen another article that said all US bound 2019 RAV4's were built in Canada, which is false.
il0kin

Post by il0kin »

Can't speak to the new ones, but our 2015 CR-V EX has been completely trouble-free and reliable for 56,000 miles . It is a naturally aspirated engine, as a bit of a gearhead, turbos make me nervous. A turbo is one thing on a Porsche, but a commuter car... no thanks.

If you are open to buying used with low miles to avoid the turbo problems, the '15 CR-V is a great option. I rode in a 2018 model year RAV-4 top of the line, and it didn't have rear air conditioning and felt smaller. Our mid line CR-V does. Couldn't believe that! Our kids would BAKE in the summer.

My one single complaint is that the OEM tires were too loud, so I replaced them a bit early at 40k miles with Cooper CS5 Grand Touring tires and they are much quieter. It's also a little slow, but that's how all those 4 cylinder SUVs are. You want good MPG, you sacrifice speed, no free lunches :happy
Cousin Eddie

Post by Cousin Eddie »

deleted
Last edited by Cousin Eddie on Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
CULater

Post by CULater »

CX-5 can be had with non-turbo engine and 6-speed transmission, which is what I'd probably choose. 2019 there are a couple of upscale CX-5 models with a turbo, but would avoid this if possible. RAV4 engine has dual injection - port and direct - and only uses direct injection when you goose it or under load. Direct injection is the guilty party when it comes to fuel in oil and this is exacerbated by the turbo. Plus direct injected engines can be prone to carbon build-up on the valves. Toyota is a conservative company and they've been avoiding these small displacement direct injected turbo engines so far -- good on them. They'd be pretty high on my list.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
crypto11

Post by crypto11 »

Only had Hondas until this year when I chose the Rav4 2019 due to the CRV oil dilution issue
Couldnt be happier. Best car I ever owned. Love it.
Outstanding safety features, great on screen features, etc. Really loving it.
Last edited by crypto11 on Sat May 18, 2019 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

CULater wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 6:46 pm CX-5 can be had with non-turbo engine and 6-speed transmission, which is what I'd probably choose. 2019 there are a couple of upscale CX-5 models with a turbo, but would avoid this if possible. RAV4 engine has dual injection - port and direct - and only uses direct injection when you goose it or under load. Direct injection is the guilty party when it comes to fuel in oil and this is exacerbated by the turbo. Plus direct injected engines can be prone to carbon build-up on the valves. Toyota is a conservative company and they've been avoiding these small displacement direct injected turbo engines so far -- good on them. They'd be pretty high on my list.
"2019 there are a couple of upscale CX-5 models with a turbo, but would avoid this if possible"
Those same engines have been used in the CX9 for years now.