How long will a shirt last?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Caduceus

How long will a shirt last?

Post by Caduceus » Wed May 15, 2019 12:12 am

If I need to buy enough of the exact same shirt to last me a decade, how many do I need? Assume I wear each shirt once a week, and then I launder all seven of them at the end of the week, how many shirts would I need to buy? This is regular cotton, not premium or low-grade - just a normal cotton white shirt like this (https://www.amazon.com/Calvin-Klein-Und ... 0119GA800/)

Will it survive 100 washes? If so, 7 shirts would last me 100 weeks, or about two years? How would you go about calculating it?

Re: How long will a shirt last?

Post by 123 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:30 am

Your results are going to vary by brand and luck. I tend to buy that type of shirt (but different brand) in batches of six to eight shirts every few years. Out of six shirts there is a strong likelihood that at least 2 will "fail" within the first two months. Typically either a seam/stitch will fail or small hole or snag will develop. That's been my experience with Hanes Beefy Tee (the brand often used for printed slogan tshirts etc). Of course there are always individual shirts that seem like they will live forever except eventually the collars fray from wear or washing/drying.

If you lump-sum your acquisition you will get the equivalent of single stock risk, could be a very bad or very good production day. If you dollar-cost average over time you are more likely to get closer to average quality over time. If you buy a large quantity you would have to inspect and evaluate each one promptly to take advantage of any return/exchange/refund privileges.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

megabad

Post by megabad » Wed May 15, 2019 12:32 am

100% cotton t-shirt, decent quality? Wild guess, I would say maybe 200 washes if you run it through a normal cycle. Maybe longer if you use cold water and air dry (I don't). Basically they get frayed around this time for me. Maybe TMI, but If you sweat a lot and use a lot of deoderant, the arm pits will get funky much sooner than that (maybe 50-100 washes). If there is anything other than cotton in them, I would expect shorter life. If they use rayon/nylon or something stretchy, the elasticity usually goes pretty quickly for me as well.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Wed May 15, 2019 6:43 am

Caduceus wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:12 am
If I need to buy enough of the exact same shirt to last me a decade, how many do I need? Assume I wear each shirt once a week, and then I launder all seven of them at the end of the week, how many shirts would I need to buy? This is regular cotton, not premium or low-grade - just a normal cotton white shirt like this (https://www.amazon.com/Calvin-Klein-Und ... 0119GA800/)

Will it survive 100 washes? If so, 7 shirts would last me 100 weeks, or about two years? How would you go about calculating it?
Buying a shirt should not be that difficult :happy
I have bought brooks brothers shirts and they have lasted me for years (I think at least 6 years, maybe more I can't remember exactly). I think the answer to your question depends on the brand you buy.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed May 15, 2019 7:17 am

Who wears undershirts? :shock:

What does "last" mean? Are pit stains ok since they don't show with a shirt over the undershirt? Or do you wear white undershirts as your only shirt?

Do you really need to do this much analysis for a 3-pack of undershirts?

Note that Amazon offers this on "Subscribe & Save". That's a clue right there. :?
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed May 15, 2019 7:26 am

We have officially jumped the shark!

Not only are there too many variables to consider, I have never "timed" how long a 2 dollar undershirt lasted.

That said, up until recently, I was still wearing some of my late father's undershirts. He died twenty years ago. I think they were "Fruit of the Loom". They were getting pretty thin.

JT

stan1

Post by stan1 » Wed May 15, 2019 7:29 am

What failure mode do you see? Maybe its staining, tears under the arm pit, graying of fabric?

If its just wear and tear I'd say 200-250 but if failure mode is staining or tears in the same place you may need to replace sooner.

Agree this is over-thinking and impossible to predict. Just buy what fits easily in your t-shirt drawer and cycle through them.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed May 15, 2019 8:51 am

Caduceus wrote:
If I need to buy enough of the exact same shirt to last me a decade, how many do I need?
Why would you ever want to do this? Now you have to store all these shirts, hope you don't get bigger or smaller, hope they are still in fashion, etc. Seems like it would be easier and less risky to just buy as needed.

ohai

Post by ohai » Wed May 15, 2019 9:07 am

Bro, if you need to have the exact same under shirt such that you have a 10y supply, what other kind of things do you need to also stock up on? What about underwear, loafers, pens, beer, shampoo, contact lens solutions, and so on..? I think you need to run a simulation taking into account stochastic inflation rates as well as storage cost as a function of real estate cost inflation in order to determine your optimal decision for stockpiling these goods relative to opportunity cost.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed May 15, 2019 9:15 am

I'm just trying to figure out how these shirts "work":

"- 100% Cotton
- Imported
- Hook & Eye closure
"

Hook & Eye closure?

:confused

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed May 15, 2019 9:18 am

Caduceus wrote:

Wild Card Variable:

Over a decade, a shirt must allow for expansion of the human wearing it. :shock:

Area of expansion is unpredictable.

Solution: The initial purchase of shirts must have an allocation of sizes on a glide slope of increasing size over the period of 10 years. Likely, the size will increase exponentially at some certain point depending on lifestyle creep. :shock:
Last edited by Sandtrap on Wed May 15, 2019 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

pdavi21

Post by pdavi21 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:22 am

It's best to delay these types of purchases so you have free capital to invest.

The quality matters. For shirts worn about once a week, I find Tshirts will last 1-10+ years.

Assuming you are going to be thrifty and buy cheap, low quality shirts, I'd expect to need to buy 2-5 T-shirts per year. However, I'd estimate I receive at least 2 T-shirts per year as gifts (or from events) of varying quality, and so I'd suggest buying no T-shirts.

A trick is to cut the tag off and wear the shirt inside out, if you want it as an undershirt, but the logo shows through your dress shirt.
"We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity." -Stephen Hawking

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed May 15, 2019 9:28 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:17 am
Who wears undershirts? :shock:

What does "last" mean? Are pit stains ok since they don't show with a shirt over the undershirt? Or do you wear white undershirts as your only shirt?

Do you really need to do this much analysis for a 3-pack of undershirts?

Note that Amazon offers this on "Subscribe & Save". That's a clue right there. :?
+1. It's an undershirt, why are you putting that much thought and paying that much for something nobody is going to see? It'll last a long time, I have cotton t-shirts from high school (20+ years) that I still regularly wear, but the real issue (with a white shirt) is pit stains. You should be able to get a 5-pack for less than half the price; repeat every year or so.

pdavi21

Post by pdavi21 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:29 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:18 am
Wild Card Variable:

Over a decade, a shirt must allow for expansion of the human wearing it. :shock:

Solution: The initial purchase of shirts must have an allocation of sizes on a glide slope of increasing size over the period of 10 years. Likely, the size will increase exponentially at some certain point depending on lifestyle creep. :shock:
If the wearer is becomes overweight, they are going to lose the shirt off their back paying the medical bills.
"We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity." -Stephen Hawking

BradJ

Post by BradJ » Wed May 15, 2019 9:30 am

Cold wash and hang dry.....makes close last much, much longer.

Halicar

Post by Halicar » Wed May 15, 2019 9:31 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:15 am

"- 100% Cotton
- Imported
- Hook & Eye closure
"

Hook & Eye closure?

RM
I'm assuming that refers to the packaging--sometimes Amazon listings still contain supply chain / wholesaler verbiage.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Wed May 15, 2019 9:36 am

Caduceus wrote:

5 years on average. Needless to say, I spend very little on clothing.

The key thing here is to be active and stay in your weight class.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed May 15, 2019 9:40 am

Halicar wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:31 am
ResearchMed wrote:

"- 100% Cotton
- Imported
- Hook & Eye closure
"

Hook & Eye closure?

RM
I'm assuming that refers to the packaging--sometimes Amazon listings still contain supply chain / wholesaler verbiage.
I found a "companion" shirt (different fabric) that was listed as "Pull On closure"
... whatever that is supposed to mean...

I suspect this is some quickie translation/copying mistake, perhaps someone copying packaging from <whatever product is being ripped off in some cases?> but it sort of missed its mark. :wink:

Sometimes these types of "mistakes" can be hilarious, but this was just silly/lazy/etc., I assume.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:46 am

Boy.....I just donated a shirt that I decided was no longer usable as a work shirt because it was too much high end cowboy looking. I remember buying it with a girl 3 girlfriends prior to my wife, when I was driving my MGB, so we're talking 1975. Yes, I have other shirts (mostly Hawaiian) that are older. So I guess my answer would be "forever".
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Topic Author
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Wed May 15, 2019 9:51 am

lthenderson wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:51 am
Caduceus wrote:
If I need to buy enough of the exact same shirt to last me a decade, how many do I need?
Why would you ever want to do this? Now you have to store all these shirts, hope you don't get bigger or smaller, hope they are still in fashion, etc. Seems like it would be easier and less risky to just buy as needed.
That's not possible. The shop is closing in less than a year. These shirts are made, I think, in Hong Kong. They don't have any brand on them, or any wash instructions or anything. It's just a really nice and cheap (around $5 per shirt) shirt that they won't be making any more soon.

I think will buy 100 of them, and then buy another 20 in a larger size in case I gain some weight. Now that I think about it, I should probably buy enough to last at least 25 years.

You are right about the storage being an issue - I heard that cotton shirts naturally yellow in storage, so that's something I have to figure out. I wish I could buy as needed ... would be easier

Topic Author
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Wed May 15, 2019 9:53 am

H-Town wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:36 am
Caduceus wrote:

5 years on average. Needless to say, I spend very little on clothing.

The key thing here is to be active and stay in your weight class.
My weight has remained roughly constant since I was 24. I'm still in the same shape I was. I eat very healthily. It's sad to see friends around me being a little flabby.

iamblessed

Post by iamblessed » Wed May 15, 2019 3:20 pm

I wore some hanes t shirts for 15 years but you should have seen them at the end of there life. I looked like a bum. I have some dress shirts that are 30+ years old the collars are frayed but other than that they do not look to bad.
Last edited by iamblessed on Wed May 15, 2019 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed May 15, 2019 3:27 pm

ResearchMed wrote:

"- 100% Cotton
- Imported
- Hook & Eye closure
"

Hook & Eye closure?

RM
I've only seen "hook and eye" closures on women's clothing. . . or cabinet latches. :shock:

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Wed May 15, 2019 3:34 pm

iamblessed wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:20 pm
I wore some hanes t shirts for 15 years but you should have seen them at the end of there life. I looked like a bum. I have some dress shirts that are 30+ years old the collars are frayed but other than that they do no look to bad.
You're right on the collars. They'll show age first. Then maybe you get some wear and tear on the elbow if you have slim fit dress shirt. Otherwise, color fading is hard to tell.

GCD

Post by GCD » Wed May 15, 2019 7:10 pm

Caduceus wrote:
This is regular cotton, not premium or low-grade - just a normal cotton white shirt like this (https://www.amazon.com/Calvin-Klein-Und ... 0119GA800/)

Will it survive 100 washes?
I have no experience with Calvin Klein specifically. Obviously this depends on brand. I have had 2 wild outliers in T shirt longevity.

In Los Angeles you can find shops that sell t-shirts 3 for $5, or at least you could in 1997. I suppose the price has changed, but probably not the quality. I bought a 3 pack way back when and they lasted maybe 15-20 washings.

On the other extreme, I stumbled across some really fantastic t-shirts at REI. These were plain gray and were the house REI brand, not North Face or anything. I don't recall what I paid, but this was in 2008. I can safely say I wore these mostly every week. Furthermore, I used them to do yardwork (heavy work with chainsaws, etc.), orienteering, camping, etc. They still hold their shape, don't droop and don't have holes or discoloration. I can't tell you what they are made of since the interior tag has long since faded. I would say they have held up for 500 washings. Really amazing. I would never have expected it. I bought 3 t-shirts at the time and all three have held up that well.

GCD

Post by GCD » Wed May 15, 2019 7:19 pm

Caduceus wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:51 am
I think will buy 100 of them, and then buy another 20 in a larger size in case I gain some weight. Now that I think about it, I should probably buy enough to last at least 25 years.
Wow. That's some dedication! I was going to remark that I can't imagine getting that excited over a piece of clothing, but I have recently been very frustrated with the way Carhartt and other jeans manufacturers change up styles and cuts. I may very well buy 5-6 pair the next time I find something I like since they change up styles before I wear them out.

You will always have me beat at buying 100 pairs of anything though!

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed May 15, 2019 10:33 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:18 am
Caduceus wrote:

Wild Card Variable:

Why should I allow for an unwanted event that is under the control of the owner? Expansion is easily controlled by the owner by set sell limits which when hit (I suggest 5lbs), action is taken (3 weeks of reduced input). Much like investing it is an easy problem that everyone tries to overcomplicate.

The limiting factor is how crappy the shirt can get and still be willing to wear it. Some people will toss that shirt after 100 washes. Others will think it is still wearable at 1000. I generally get 3-4 years out of a shirt wearing them about every 10 days. The last year or so they are a bit worn but not horrible (i.e we aren't talking holes. We are talking about faded colors and so-so white and black levels).

SR II

Post by SR II » Wed May 15, 2019 11:13 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:27 pm
ResearchMed wrote:

"- 100% Cotton
- Imported
- Hook & Eye closure
"

Hook & Eye closure?

RM
I've only seen "hook and eye" closures on women's clothing. . . or cabinet latches. :shock:
Maybe these shirts have a built-in bra! :wink:

Topic Author
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Thu May 16, 2019 1:51 am

GCD wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:19 pm
Caduceus wrote:
Wow. That's some dedication! I was going to remark that I can't imagine getting that excited over a piece of clothing, but I have recently been very frustrated with the way Carhartt and other jeans manufacturers change up styles and cuts. I may very well buy 5-6 pair the next time I find something I like since they change up styles before I wear them out.

I own very little, but I'm very particular about the things that I do own. I wish I didn't have to buy so many shirts at one go but the little store is closing down in less than a year. I only have one pair of jeans, one bowl, one plate (I eat out mostly because of how busy work is), three pairs of shoes that have lasted for 5 years and will last another 20 at least (they are good, expensive handcrafted shoes and can be re-soled indefinitely).

It's funny, but the two things in my life I think I would miss the most would be my every day mug and this white undershirt. Neither are expensive, but they are so difficult to find. One is a vintage Bodum clear glass mug made of simple, thick, plain soda-lime glass. They don't make them in this size and quality any more. But I bought 6 a few years back, so I won't be buying any mugs the rest of my life.

And I've tried on hundreds of undershirts and there's nothing like this, which feels like a second skin. I think a lot of products these days are designed to look pretty and to sell off the shelf. It's not about the durability, functionality, and the quality. So when I find something that fits my anal OCD standards, I have decided to stock up.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:48 am

Caduceus wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:51 am
GCD wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:19 pm
Caduceus wrote:

I own very little, but I'm very particular about the things that I do own. I wish I didn't have to buy so many shirts at one go but the little store is closing down in less than a year. I only have one pair of jeans, one bowl, one plate (I eat out mostly because of how busy work is), three pairs of shoes that have lasted for 5 years and will last another 20 at least (they are good, expensive handcrafted shoes and can be re-soled indefinitely).

It's funny, but the two things in my life I think I would miss the most would be my every day mug and this white undershirt. Neither are expensive, but they are so difficult to find. One is a vintage Bodum clear glass mug made of simple, thick, plain soda-lime glass. They don't make them in this size and quality any more. But I bought 6 a few years back, so I won't be buying any mugs the rest of my life.

And I've tried on hundreds of undershirts and there's nothing like this, which feels like a second skin. I think a lot of products these days are designed to look pretty and to sell off the shelf. It's not about the durability, functionality, and the quality. So when I find something that fits my anal OCD standards, I have decided to stock up.
Hey, we all have our levels of things we like and things we dislike. Usually harmless.

Me, I don't like different foods touching on my plate. At home, I am accommodated. Outside, I endure. When a guest, I would never say anything. I also tend to eat all of one thing, then move on to another item on the plate. I'm pretty sure I could spend $50,000 with a therapist, and know why. Or, I can simply humor myself, and still have my $50,000. I mean, after all, I am not a serial killer.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Thu May 16, 2019 9:58 am

If you store your extra t-shirts in an air tight container, in the dark, they may not yellow. I guess it depends on how they made them white. Only time will tell ;)

atdharris

Post by atdharris » Thu May 16, 2019 10:13 am

I've worn some shirts for over a decade and they are still holding up nicely. I usually buy higher end ones but find I save money over time because it is less likely they will stain or fall apart. Usually Brooks Brothers, Ralph Lauren and Lacoste shirts hold up very well. I do have some Lacoste polos I've worn since 2004.

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Thu May 16, 2019 3:00 pm

Caduceus wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:51 am
The description of your favorite T-shirt has me intrigued, can you let us in on your secret stash? Maybe the solution is to get EVERYONE to want to buy these shirts so the little shop in Hong Kong will stay open 8-)

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Thu May 16, 2019 3:15 pm

I bought a few T-shirts in Cancun, Mexico, more than 10 years ago, they are still good today.

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Thu May 16, 2019 7:01 pm

bottlecap wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:26 am
We have officially jumped the shark!
I was thinking the same thing, but then I thought about my socks. I just care about them, how easy they slip on, how warm they are, how soft, how tight, etc., etc. And when I find ones I like (after buying a test batch), I stock up on them. And I get very angry (OK, "disappointed") when the manufacturer changes the specs. As a result, I buy as many as 20 pairs at a time.+