Roth IRA fund allocation question....

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Ykcor

Roth IRA fund allocation question....

Post by Ykcor » Wed May 15, 2019 8:53 pm

I recently transferred $200,000 from a mutual stock fund Roth IRA to Vanguard. It now is in a money market and I want to move it by dollar cost averaging to maybe a three or four Vanguard index fund allocation. Though I'm a couple years from retirement, I don't plan on withdrawing from the Roth for many years and plan on contributing to it via Backdoor Roth as long as I work.

Any recommendations on which fund(s) I should move this money into? I was thinking VTSAX, VTIAX and VBTLX?

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Re: Roth IRA fund allocation question....

Post by Taylor Larimore » Wed May 15, 2019 9:21 pm

Ykcor wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:53 pm
I recently transferred $200,000 from a mutual stock fund Roth IRA to Vanguard. It now is in a money market and I want to move it by dollar cost averaging to maybe a three or four Vanguard index fund allocation. Though I'm a couple years from retirement, I don't plan on withdrawing from the Roth for many years and plan on contributing to it via Backdoor Roth as long as I work.

Any recommendations on which fund(s) I should move this money into? I was thinking VTSAX, VTIAX and VBTLX?
Ykcor:

I like your "thinking." It is The Three-Fund Portfolio. You can read its many benefits HERE.

Best wishes
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

megabad

Re: Roth IRA fund allocation question....

Post by megabad » Thu May 16, 2019 1:48 pm

Ykcor wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:53 pm

Another vote for your stated choices. They are excellent. Have you thought about your % allocation to each?