"Open Social Security" calculator: feature requests, bug reports, etc

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
One Ping

Re: "Open Social Security" calculator: feature requests, bug reports, etc

Post by One Ping » Wed May 15, 2019 6:33 pm

ObliviousInvestor wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:26 pm
One Ping wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:19 pm
Just tried to use the calculator and it doesn't seem to be working. Input data, click submit, the screen flashes for an instant, but then no results.

Using Firefox Quantum Ver. 66.0.5 (64-bit). It says it is 'up to date.'
Hmm. Thanks for the notification. I was working on it today (just a few small things -- updating it to use the new SSA mortality table for instance), so apparently something has gone wrong there.

I've tried using it on all my various devices though, and it's working fine for me, including on Firefox.

Are you getting the same no-result outcome regardless of what inputs you use? (Trying to figure out here whether it's a function of the browser/OS combination, or a function of the inputs being used.)
No. Here is the scenario data (same as earlier.)

Your Information:
Marital Status: Married
Birthdate: 11/15/1951
Have you already filed for retirement benefits?: No.
PIA: $2,500

Your Spouse’s Information:
Birthdate: 11/15/1945
PIA: $500
Has your spouse already filed for retirement benefits?: Yes
Month and year in which your spouse filed for his/her retirement benefit: 11/2011

If I change it to this:

Your Information:
Marital Status: Married
Have you already filed for retirement benefits?: No.
PIA: $2,500

Your Spouse’s Information:
PIA: $500
Has your spouse already filed for retirement benefits?: Yes
Month and year in which your spouse filed for his/her retirement benefit: 11/2017

It seems to work ...
"Re-verify our range to target ... one ping only."

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed May 15, 2019 7:05 pm

ObliviousInvestor wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:55 am
Update: I just rolled out functionality for child benefits and child-in-care spousal benefits.

That's about 9 months of nearly full-time work on this project (~30 hours spent on it per week since April), and the calculator now does all of the major things that I had hoped for it to do. So I think I'll be taking a break for a bit, aside from maybe some small stuff here and there.
Would that include getting SSDI disability for an adult child born with a disability?

I would assume it would ignore SSI eligibility until at which point SSDI is available. Seems that would be hard to model, but a very realistic possibility.

I'll check it out!

Topic Author
ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor » Wed May 15, 2019 7:48 pm

Thanks, One Ping. Nothing is immediately coming to mind (as far as how any of the changes I made today would cause the result you're seeing), so I'll need to spend more time digging into it tomorrow.
Mike Piper, author/blogger

Topic Author
ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor » Wed May 15, 2019 7:49 pm

JBTX wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:05 pm
ObliviousInvestor wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:55 am
Update: I just rolled out functionality for child benefits and child-in-care spousal benefits.

That's about 9 months of nearly full-time work on this project (~30 hours spent on it per week since April), and the calculator now does all of the major things that I had hoped for it to do. So I think I'll be taking a break for a bit, aside from maybe some small stuff here and there.
Would that include getting SSDI disability for an adult child born with a disability?

I would assume it would ignore SSI eligibility until at which point SSDI is available. Seems that would be hard to model, but a very realistic possibility.
Yes.

And, the calculator does not account for SSI benefits at all.

Topic Author
ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor » Wed May 15, 2019 8:12 pm

ObliviousInvestor wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:48 pm
Thanks, One Ping. Nothing is immediately coming to mind (as far as how any of the changes I made today would cause the result you're seeing), so I'll need to spend more time digging into it tomorrow.
Never mind this. I figured it out. (Forgot that I can't use the mortality tables as-is. Rather, I have to add a bunch of zeros to the end, so that the calculator can run fully for scenarios where one spouse is significantly older than the other.)

It should be working now.

Thanks again for bringing the problem to my attention -- and for providing the necessary information to fix it.
Last edited by ObliviousInvestor on Wed May 15, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

One Ping

Post by One Ping » Wed May 15, 2019 8:21 pm

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
Thanks, Mike. Back up and running ... :D

(I won't tell the wife you think she is 'significantly' older ... :wink: )
"Re-verify our range to target ... one ping only."

Raydo

Post by Raydo » Thu May 16, 2019 12:57 pm

Maybe someone has mentioned this.

I use maximize my social security to double check the result.

There are different amount between two calculator for the amount received for my first year after reaching 70.

My DOB is 7-16-1956, PIA 2880.

Open calculator gives 6 months but maximize my social security gives me 5 months.

Topic Author
ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor » Thu May 16, 2019 1:01 pm

Raydo wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:57 pm
Maybe someone has mentioned this.

I use maximize my social security to double check the result.

There are different amount between two calculator for the amount received for my first year after reaching 70.

My DOB is 7-16-1956, PIA 2880.

Open calculator gives 6 months but maximize my social security gives me 5 months.
Can't speak to other calculators, but if your birthday is 7/16 and you plan to wait until your benefit maxes out, July would be the first month for which you would receive benefits. So you would receive benefits for 6 months in the year in question.

Of note, OSS follows the convention that the SSA generally uses (and which most people use in discussing Social Security in general) of discussing months for which you receive a benefit, rather than months in which you receive a benefit. (For example July's benefit would be paid in August. Other calculators may be referring to months in which you receive the benefit.)