Traveling to Europe on Green Card

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bobdylan

Traveling to Europe on Green Card

Post by bobdylan » Tue May 14, 2019 7:16 pm

I am wondering does anybody here have experience obtaining Schengen Visa (specifically, Italian) in the USA being a green card holder?

They require to show airline ticket before going for the visa interview. I am looking at tickets costing ~$800, and it bothers me to pay that much money for a non-refundable ticket before the visa was approved.

Does anybody have a decline ending up with an unused ticket?

Thanks.

whodidntante

Re: Traveling to Europe on Green Card

Post by whodidntante » Tue May 14, 2019 7:24 pm

Do they require the purchase of an actual airline ticket or a specific itinerary? Those are different things.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue May 14, 2019 7:28 pm

bobdylan wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:16 pm
I am wondering does anybody here have experience obtaining Schengen Visa (specifically, Italian) in the USA being a green card holder?

They require to show airline ticket before going for the visa interview. I am looking at tickets costing ~$800, and it bothers me to pay that much money for a non-refundable ticket before the visa was approved.

Thanks.
If you really need a "paid" ticket (I have no idea about that), what about buying a higher-priced but fully refundable ticket, and then get a refund, and purchase a cheaper non-refundable ticket if you get the visa?

One risk would be uncertainty over the price when you'd be able to get the non-refundable ticket.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue May 14, 2019 7:51 pm

I aware you that refundable does not necessarily mean refundable with no fee. The airline industry is evil.

uslee2004

Post by uslee2004 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:12 pm

Did that last November for a business trip. Got an itinerary for a reservation without paying from booking agency. Appears to be standard practice. Not sure for personal trip though.
uslee

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Tue May 14, 2019 8:21 pm

I think the standard approach is to buy a refundable ticket as suggested by Researchmed if you need a ticketed reservation (vs holding a reservation that isn’t ticketed yet). Travel agents can make reservations that aren’t immediately ticketed.

Note that non-refundable doesn’t necessarily mean that all your money is lost if you can’t travel. You maybe able to receive part of your fare as credit for a different ticket in the future. Fees tend to be pretty high, though.

Another option is to use a placeholder award booking. Cancellation / refund fees tend to be lower, and if you have high elite status or have a friend with high elite status, some airlines let you cancel/redeposit without fee.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue May 14, 2019 9:56 pm

Just FYI, some countries require that your passport does not expire until six months after your expected return date. Be sure to check that.

Traveler

Post by Traveler » Tue May 14, 2019 9:59 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:51 pm
I aware you that refundable does not necessarily mean refundable with no fee. The airline industry is evil.
The airline industry is no more evil than any other industry. The fees are to deter one from gaming the system like someone here suggested.

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Tue May 14, 2019 11:53 pm

bobdylan wrote:

Thanks.
What does being an LPR matter ? You will be applying for the Italian visa using your national passport. The LPR status only allows you to apply at an Italian consulate in the US, rather than one in your own country without asking for an exception.

ivk5

Post by ivk5 » Wed May 15, 2019 3:26 am

From experience:

- Award ticket (ie booked using miles) is fine if that’s your thing. Does not need to be a paid ticket.

- Ticket does not need to be valid at time of visa application. Counterintuitive, I know, but I’ve never found anything to the contrary in consular rules. Anyway they do not check. You could, for example, book any kind of ticket, print ticket confirmation, then cancel within 24 hrs (many airlines will give full refund within 24h even on nonrefundable ticket but check your airline’s policies to be sure).

- There is nothing prohibiting you from changing travel plans after applying for visa, as long as you respect the validity dates and other terms of the visa you are issued of course. Just be aware visa validity dates may be tied to the travel dates you show the consulate (depends on specifics of what type of visa you are applying for).

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Wed May 15, 2019 4:09 am

Thesaints wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:53 pm
bobdylan wrote:

Thanks.
What does being an LPR matter ? You will be applying for the Italian visa using your national passport. The LPR status only allows you to apply at an Italian consulate in the US, rather than one in your own country without asking for an exception.
I think the OP is aware of this. My take is that the OP is looking to get a visa to visit Italy. Based on their nationality and residence status they have determined they need to apply at the Italian Consulate in the USA. Accordingly, the Italian Consulate is requiring airline tickets as part of the application process. As such, the only people that can really help the OP are US non-citizen residents who have applied for a visa via the Italian Consulate.

OP, if you haven't already, I suggest you take this to a travel specific forum such as LP Thorntree where you are more likely to find someone in similar circumstances.

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Wed May 15, 2019 4:34 pm

halfnine wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:09 am
I think the OP is aware of this. My take is that the OP is looking to get a visa to visit Italy. Based on their nationality and residence status they have determined they need to apply at the Italian Consulate in the USA. Accordingly, the Italian Consulate is requiring airline tickets as part of the application process. As such, the only people that can really help the OP are US non-citizen residents who have applied for a visa via the Italian Consulate.
My point is that depending on his nationality chances of being denied can be lower or higher.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Wed May 15, 2019 4:48 pm

I think having a green card should make the process a formality, but I have never been through the process.
Thesaints wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:34 pm
halfnine wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:09 am
My point is that depending on his nationality chances of being denied can be lower or higher.
It should make a huge difference in treatment between having a green card (which is for all practical purposes very similar with American citizenship). Changes for illegal immigration drop to almost 0.