House Painting 2019

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Alf 101

House Painting 2019

Post by Alf 101 » Wed May 15, 2019 7:50 am

Not so long ago, we moved from a house with a stucco exterior, to one with painted exterior. You can see where this is going. There are spots showing wear, where we really should get it painted this summer; also, if you walk a circle around the house and look closely, it's subtly four different shades of red.

This is something, for considerations of time and safety, we plan on hiring out. So a few questions:

1. Ours is a 2200 sq. ft two-level house. Acknowledged, every region and situation is different. But is there a rough cost estimate anyone can give, some scope of what this should cost?

2. Is there a particular time of year we might get a better quote? I would guess summer is the busy season; then again, that may really be the only time you get your house painted. We live in a place with 4 seasons.

3. In your experience, is it generally cheaper just to get the whole house painted, or have sections done piecemeal as needed? Again, a section of the back of the house needs painting this year. As for the color differences, they're subtle, and something we can live with. My suspicion is that it'll just be cheaper to get it done all at once, but wanted to confirm.

4. Lastly, has anyone gone through Home Depot, or similar big box store? When we moved we needed to put up a fence for the dog, quickly, and tracked down quotes. Interestingly, the Home Depot contact came in considerably less, and did a great job. Just something to consider.

Thanks for any insight on this. We've gotten quotes for other work, and they've all varied wildly in cost. Not having ever had to deal with house painters, I'm wondering if there are any tips or snakes in the grass I should know about...

mancich

Re: House Painting 2019

Post by mancich » Wed May 15, 2019 7:57 am

We have a cedar-sided home which we paint every 8-10 years. We use Benjamin Moore Aura exterior paint. It will be more cost effective to have it all done at once, and I would try to find a good contract through referrals, Angie's List, etc, not through Home Depot. Our 2,800 sft home cost about $9,000, but we're in a relatively HCOL area. Best time of year is probably later in the summer when it starts to cool down. Good luck.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed May 15, 2019 8:04 am

Alf 101 wrote: ā†‘
Wed May 15, 2019 7:50 am
Not so long ago, we moved from a house with a stucco exterior, to one with painted exterior. You can see where this is going. There are spots showing wear, where we really should get it painted this summer; also, if you walk a circle around the house and look closely, it's subtly four different shades of red.

This is something, for considerations of time and safety, we plan on hiring out. So a few questions:

1. Ours is a 2200 sq. ft two-level house. Acknowledged, every region and situation is different. But is there a rough cost estimate anyone can give, some scope of what this should cost?

2. Is there a particular time of year we might get a better quote? I would guess summer is the busy season; then again, that may really be the only time you get your house painted. We live in a place with 4 seasons.

3. In your experience, is it generally cheaper just to get the whole house painted, or have sections done piecemeal as needed? Again, a section of the back of the house needs painting this year. As for the color differences, they're subtle, and something we can live with. My suspicion is that it'll just be cheaper to get it done all at once, but wanted to confirm.

4. Lastly, has anyone gone through Home Depot, or similar big box store? When we moved we needed to put up a fence for the dog, quickly, and tracked down quotes. Interestingly, the Home Depot contact came in considerably less, and did a great job. Just something to consider.

Thanks for any insight on this. We've gotten quotes for other work, and they've all varied wildly in cost. Not having ever had to deal with house painters, I'm wondering if there are any tips or snakes in the grass I should know about...
1. No. Too many variables. A similar house in the neighborhood with different conditions can have very different estimates.
2. Spring to Fall.
3. Whole house. Do it once. More value per dollar. Better overall quality, durability, and definitely appearance.
4. Yes and No. Check the paint supply stores. Contractor referrals generally much better vs Home Depot random lists. But, Home Depot can also have a great referral and work and price. Depends.
5. Get the best quality paint.
6. Get the best quality prep and workmanship.
7. Minimum 3 estimates. Contractors. Licensed. Insured. Visit prior jobs to see work.
8. Value per dollar is the goal, not cheapest materials and labor.

onourway

Post by onourway » Wed May 15, 2019 8:10 am

Multiple estimates with references, preferably of jobs they did a few years ago, not last month is a must.

Totally agree on using the best quality paint - although without proper prep it's all just a waste of money.

Prices will vary widely, depending on your area, how much prep work is done, how many colors you want, how many windows and how much trim you have, and so on. I would expect something in the $10-20k range though. I also would not be surprised if you can't get the good painters for 2019. In our area they are largely booked for the next season by late fall.

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Wed May 15, 2019 3:57 pm

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but I think it was common ~30 years ago for college students and some teachers to do painting during the summer - a fill-in job if you like. I'd guess the summer, and particularly the window when colleges and high schools are off, to be prime time.

It's not necessarily about getting the lowest bid. Paint quality, prep work, number of coats, attention to detail and the like all matter.

The subtle color differences on the different sides of your red house may be do to sun bleaching and other wear. I think red, in particular, might be highly susceptible to fading over time.

Although it's a bit of a guess for us responders who haven't seen your house in person, I'd guess that the best approach would be to do the whole house and not try for something piecemeal. I'm currently experiencing mild regret that for a deck surface that was aging, I went for a piecemeal solution about 1.5-2 years ago. Not quite the same thing (aged wood versus aged paint), but the transitions that I thought would be semi-subtle are in fact pretty obvious, and the older parts that were left alone are in some cases looking pretty rough now (i.e. they were aging too, just at a slightly slower pace than the other parts). Of course, not every repair or repaint needs to be total, but I guess I'd say err on the side of going for the whole thing, if you think that a large chunk needs it now and the rest will likely need it in 1-3 years.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Wed May 15, 2019 6:11 pm

A key issue relative to cost is whether there is rotting of boards and whether or not you have trim such as windows painted. In the absence of these, we had a large house painted in the past two years for approximately $2,500 by painters who have excellent histories. It is well worth it to spend extra on paint such as what is referred to as lifetime paint. As with oil for automobiles, paint is cheap compared to repairs and rot.

Tim