Police and Troopers fund.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fposte

Re: Police and Troopers fund.

Post by fposte » Tue May 14, 2019 6:37 pm

deikel wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:39 pm
Any phone call of this sort, my response is always: 'Please take me off your call list, I am on the national do not call list, you are violating federal law.click.'
Charities are not required to abide by the Do Not Call database. It's just for businesses.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue May 14, 2019 6:43 pm

fposte wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:37 pm
deikel wrote:
Any phone call of this sort, my response is always: 'Please take me off your call list, I am on the national do not call list, you are violating federal law.click.'
Charities are not required to abide by the Do Not Call database. It's just for businesses.
Yes, but no.

Charities can call. Telemarketing firms working for charities cannot call.

There are some exemptions to the Do Not Call rules. Because of the limits to FTC’s authority, the Registry does not apply to political calls or calls from non-profits and charities (but the Registry does cover telemarketers calling on behalf of charities).

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/media-r ... l-registry
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

fposte

Post by fposte » Tue May 14, 2019 6:50 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:43 pm
fposte wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:37 pm
deikel wrote:
Yes, but no.

Charities can call. Telemarketing firms working for charities cannot call.

There are some exemptions to the Do Not Call rules. Because of the limits to FTC’s authority, the Registry does not apply to political calls or calls from non-profits and charities (but the Registry does cover telemarketers calling on behalf of charities).

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/media-r ... l-registry
Aha! That is excellent--thanks for the clarification. (Sounds like it doesn't cover telemarketers calling on behalf of politicians, unfortunately.)

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue May 14, 2019 7:25 pm

Call the police and report that you were called by the police.

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Tue May 14, 2019 7:47 pm

I'm always surprised to learn that there are still people who blindly answer the phone any time it rings. If my phone doesn't display a name I recognize, I don't answer it. In 9 out of 10 cases, scammers don't leave messages. I do feel sorry for businesses that pretty much have to answer the phone, as they are getting slammed with robo-calls. Hopefully, help is on its way in terms of technology that will prevent spoofing of phone numbers.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue May 14, 2019 8:10 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:02 pm
I keep getting calls for donations to a Police and Troopers fund. I said no and hung up.

How do others handle these types of calls whose wording is designed to generate guilt. On my part, I’ve looked up salary, starting point for pension and pension. Salary is ok, the other two pieces are generous.
Sorry, I contribute via my taxes. I'm retired, living on a fixed income, can't do anymore. Or ask them to send you the paperwork so you can look it over, they will not even take your name or address down, they will just say thank you and hang up.

They call my home too, but it's usually a name like Police Officers Association of (insert state name here) or Patrolman's Benevolent Society of.....
You know what my local police department says, they say not to contribute a penny because these phone calls are all SCAMS to part you from your money. There was one of these scams run by former law enforcement, turns out they were investigated by my local state, the fund never gave a dime towards any charitable uses, instead used the monies raised as a slush fund for taking vacations and trips.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue May 14, 2019 8:18 pm

Silence Dogood wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:23 pm
Godot wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:19 pm
Silence Dogood wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:47 pm
If I get a call, and I don't recognize the number, I let it go to voicemail.

If I get a call, and I do recognize the number, I still let it go to voicemail.
Do you ever check your voicemail?
Of course not, I'm a millennial. :wink:
:sharebeer :wink:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

silverostrich787

Post by silverostrich787 » Wed May 15, 2019 7:25 am

Dottie57 wrote:
I keep getting calls for donations to a Police and Troopers fund. I said no and hung up.

How do others handle these types of calls whose wording is designed to generate guilt. On my part, I’ve looked up salary, starting point for pension and pension. Salary is ok, the other two pieces are generous.
I never answer calls if I'm not familiar with the numbers. If they use local numbers, I just answer and immediately hang up if I think those calls are scams.Just few hours ago, I got several calls from 747-282-2570. I ignored those calls, but after looked up the number on Google, I found some reports have been filed under that number at https://www.whycall.me/747-282-2570.html about similar donation scams.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed May 15, 2019 7:27 am

silverostrich787 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:25 am
Dottie57 wrote:

I never answer calls if I'm not familiar with the numbers. If they use local numbers, I just answer and immediately hang up if I think those calls are scams.
Because local numbers that you don't recognize are different from non-local numbers that you don't recognize?

My cell phone has a number from the last state we live in... We don't answer any numbers we don't recognize, that's what voicemail is for.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Wed May 15, 2019 7:35 am

Dottie57 wrote:

How do others handle these types of calls whose wording is designed to generate guilt.
I handle all of my donations on a monthly basis.

Whenever I get a call soliciting a donation, I ask them to mail me information that I can review. At the end of the month, I decide who gets what (if anything).

The serious charities send information. The non-serious charities can't be bothered. Calls for donations to Police and Troopers tend to fall into the non-serious charities, in my locale.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Wed May 15, 2019 7:36 am

dm200 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:12 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:09 pm
Well, of course that is what a scammer would say.
Would a scammer say, "No, we are not authorized to use the name of the <PD/etc.> but give us money anyway?

RM
Good point. Maybe someone has some inside knowledge.
These organizations are not authorized to use the names of the police or fire departments. Sometimes they use stock imagery of officers in uniforms from specific departments, but when they are called out on it, they take them down. Is it possible there's some PD that outsources fundraising? Sure. But in almost every instance, these calls are scams.

https://www.bbb.org/stlouis/news-events ... port-fund/

Our local police and fire departments do fundraise, but they do it directly and locally.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed May 15, 2019 7:38 am

JoeRetire wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:35 am
Dottie57 wrote:

How do others handle these types of calls whose wording is designed to generate guilt.

Whenever I get a call soliciting a donation, I ask them to mail me information that I can review. At the end of the month, I decide who gets what (if anything).

The serious charities send information. The non-serious charities can't be bothered. Calls for donations to Police and Troopers tend to fall into the non-serious charities, in my locale.
So, when a non-serious charity/fraud calls, having just your phone number, you offer to give them your name and address, because giving that information to a bad actor isn't a problem? :oops:

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Wed May 15, 2019 7:46 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:38 am
JoeRetire wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:

So, when a non-serious charity/fraud calls, having just your phone number, you offer to give them your name and address, because giving that information to a bad actor isn't a problem? :oops:
If I happen to pick up when one of these folks call, I ask them for the percentage that goes to the charity, the EIN and the website. They typically hang up on me at that point.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Wed May 15, 2019 7:48 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Yup. Anyone who can get my phone number can get my name and address, even if for some crazy reason they don't already have it. Obviously it's just a few clicks away. :shock:

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Wed May 15, 2019 9:23 am

Count me among those who never answers unknown numbers on my personal phone. (We no longer have a home phone.) If it's someone I actually need to talk to, they will leave me a message. Scammers don't usually leave messages. (I did, however, get a message in Mandarin last November saying that they were from the Chinese consulate and had a package for me that I needed to pick up. I had to listen to the message a dozen times before I was able to figure out the gist of it and find information on what turned out to be a well-known scam. I still have the message on my phone because I find it amusing.)

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:32 am

I answer the calls to my cell phone. It really does not take much time and effort for me to say, "NO" and "Goodbye". Several times - the call was actually from someone I know or otherwise valid.

Lots of calls for health insurance, medicare alternatives, fix my roof, extend my car warranty, etc. The "car warranty" ones are curious. The telemarketer says they know my warranty has just expired and wants to "help me" in getting another one. Unless I hang up, the next question is about my car. Why do they need to ask about my car if they "know" my warranty has expired?

Our cars (1998 and 2002 models) are long, long past any kind of warranty.

It is puzzling to me, but this kind of telemarketing must be profitable - otherwise they would not do it.
Last edited by dm200 on Wed May 15, 2019 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

bampf

Post by bampf » Wed May 15, 2019 9:33 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
JoeRetire wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:

This. Every detail matters and these bad actors are just looking for more details. Yes, you are correct they won't mail you anything. But, they add it to your profile and now they have more information. They use this for the next big scam. To be clear, you confirm the mail, indicate you are willing to engage and elevate your target profile. Regardless if someone can put your phone number with your address, you are indicating your are amenable and willing to engage. Thats the first signal for more attacks to come.
Last edited by bampf on Wed May 15, 2019 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

bampf

Post by bampf » Wed May 15, 2019 9:35 am

dm200 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:32 am
I answer the calls to my cell phone. It really does not take much time and effort for me to say, "NO" and "Goodbye". Several times - the call was actually from someone I know or otherwise valid.

Lots of calls for health insurance, medicare alternatives, fix my roof, extend my car warranty, etc. The "car warranty" ones are curious. The telemarketer says they know my warranty has just expired and wants to "help me" in getting another one. Unless I hang up, the next question is about my car. Why do they need to ask about my car if they "know" my warranty has expired?

It is puzzling to me, but this kind of telemarketing must be profitable - otherwise they would not do it.
Profitable because the front scam "car warranty" becomes the conduit for the long play. Why people do this is beyond me. You pretty much guarantee that you become a high value target.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed May 15, 2019 9:48 am

bampf wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:33 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
JoeRetire wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:

This. Every detail matters and these bad actors are just looking for more details. Yes, you are correct they won't mail you anything. But, they add it to your profile and now they have more information. They use this for the next big scam. To be clear, you confirm the mail, indicate you are willing to engage and elevate your target profile. Regardless if someone can put your phone number with your address, you are indicating your are amenable and willing to engage. Thats the first signal for more attacks to come.
THIS ^^^^ Why do people not get this?

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:01 am

I just got one of these police, etc. calls yesterday afternoon. No patience any more to do anything but say, "Thank you and goodbye"

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:20 am

Found this article with a Google search:

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regiona ... ObOiMRSPI/

The article states that the police organization contracted with the fundraising company and the fundraising company kept about 80% of the funds raised and the police organization received only about 20%!!

And the "contribution" was not even tax deductible.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:38 am

I don't answer calls from people that aren't in my contact list. In fact, my phone sends them right to voicemail. If it is something "important", they can leave a message.

I'm also tired of being asked as a customer if I want to make a donation in the checkout line at retail stores and restaurants. If they want to donate, take it from their profits and donate it. I will give to the charities I want to and don't want to be harassed when giving them my business. I'm thinking of saying something like "sure, as long as you guys will give to my charity".

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed May 15, 2019 12:27 pm

dm200 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:32 am

I don’t answer the calls to my cell phone because I pay for my minutes on Tracfone. I don’t have an unlimited plan and I don’t want them wasting my minutes. I let the calls go unanswered and then block the numbers, even though blocking is pretty much useless as they spoof the numbers. But a few times I had the same number try to call me back an hour or so later so now I always block.
It was a new day yesterday. It’s an old day now.

Topic Author
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed May 15, 2019 4:18 pm

Thanks to all who replied.

I’ll be purchasing a phone system which will allow me to block calls. I can see caller I’d on two of three handsets.

prudent

Post by prudent » Wed May 15, 2019 4:57 pm

Blocking numbers will help but I have found it only blocks calls from the "legit" charities who don't fake their caller ID info. About 80% of our spam calls show essentially random phone numbers and blocking them is a futile endeavor. They don't use the same caller ID info twice.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Wed May 15, 2019 5:23 pm

Dottie57 wrote:

****************************Thanks to all who answered************************

Resolution is to purchase a phone system to allow me to block unwanted numbers.

Thanks again.
1) We screen calls, so a random charity call (legit or not) won't be answered.

2) In the event I actually get cornered somehow by an organization asking for money, my response is along the lines of "My wife and I have decided upon a set of charities we wish to support, and are not interested in giving to other charities at this time."

And, I'm even telling the truth in 2).

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed May 15, 2019 6:07 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:38 am
I don't answer calls from people that aren't in my contact list. In fact, my phone sends them right to voicemail. If it is something "important", they can leave a message.

I'm also tired of being asked as a customer if I want to make a donation in the checkout line at retail stores and restaurants. If they want to donate, take it from their profits and donate it. I will give to the charities I want to and don't want to be harassed when giving them my business. I'm thinking of saying something like "sure, as long as you guys will give to my charity".
I just went to Costco today and at checkout I was asked if I wanted to donate to “Children’s Miracle Network”. I said no. When I got home I looked them up on Charity Navigator and they have a good rating but the director is listed as receiving an annual salary of $572,089.

Why do these retail establishments do this, what’s in it for them, just good PR? My local Ace Hardware was collecting for an organization late last year (they aren’t now), not sure which one.
It was a new day yesterday. It’s an old day now.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:09 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:07 pm
michaeljc70 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:38 am

I just went to Costco today and at checkout I was asked if I wanted to donate to “Children’s Miracle Network”. I said no. When I got home I looked them up on Charity Navigator and they have a good rating but the director is listed as receiving an annual salary of $572,089.

Why do these retail establishments do this, what’s in it for them, just good PR? My local Ace Hardware was collecting for an organization late last year (they aren’t now), not sure which one.
I suppose it is to look like they are charitable but donating other people's money doesn't give me that impression. Though they might be doing it, I've never been made aware that they are matching the donations from customers. If they were matching, that would impact my decision to give to them.