?Admiral share availability in other brokerages?[Yes, after a few weeks they are now appearing at other brokerages.]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
fiddleleaf

Re: ?Admiral share availability in other brokerages?[Yes, after a few weeks they are now appearing at other brokerages.]

Post by fiddleleaf » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:46 pm

jeh08016 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:52 am
JP Morgan customer service has been no help. I called and asked if you're able to invest in Vanguard Admiral Funds through YouInvest. Spoke to multiple people who could only reference a fund list dated last August and told me no, after initially saying absolutely. A manager suggested I open an account to see for myself. If anyone has any info I'd appreciate it. Interested in VTSAX and VTIAX.
Just a heads up, my order for VTSAX in a IRA with only a $200 purchase went through. No minimums on either VTSAX or VTIAX at Chase You Invest. Also picked some VTSAX successfully in another account at You Invest, about $3000 and that went through. So Admiral funds are live at Chase You Invest with no minimum purchase.

Topic Author
b0B

Re: ?Admiral share availability in other brokerages?[Yes, after a few weeks they are now appearing at other brokerages.]

Post by b0B » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:52 pm

^ Any transaction fee?

fiddleleaf

Post by fiddleleaf » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:28 pm

b0B wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:52 pm
^ Any transaction fee?
None at all. I have Sapphire Banking but don't think that matters, no transaction costs for any Admiral purchases.

shiftleft

Post by shiftleft » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:35 pm

It looks like VTSAX - Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Admiral Shares - is available at Fidelity for purchase now. I tried to place an other this morning and it was going to charge a $75 transaction fee and had a minimum $2500 limit. I currently have no VTSAX shares there. I cancelled before order confirmation as it was just a trial. Just curious if anyone know if there is a transaction fee on a sell order as well, or are those free? (I'm not interested in buying, but may transfer some shares to consolidate some brokerage accounts).

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:29 pm

^No transaction fee to sell at fidelity:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=236044&p=4376466&#p4376466
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle

yogesh

Post by yogesh » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:39 pm

VTWSX at Fidelity now shows closed to new investors. I have this fund in my taxable with $75 purchase fee and $5 for automatic investments.
VTWAX appeared for a day with $45 transaction fee but disappeared into "Advisor only" fund.
Waiting to see:
If VTWSX gets converted to VTWAX automatically
or VTWAX becomes available to retail investors
or only VT ETF option remains for $5 trade fee
Emergency: FDIC | Taxable: VTMFX | Retirement: TR2040

yogesh

Post by yogesh » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:14 pm

yogesh wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:39 pm
VTWSX at Fidelity now shows closed to new investors. I have this fund in my taxable with $75 purchase fee and $5 for automatic investments.
VTWAX appeared for a day with $45 transaction fee but disappeared into "Advisor only" fund.
Waiting to see:
If VTWSX gets converted to VTWAX automatically
or VTWAX becomes available to retail investors
or only VT ETF option remains for $5 trade fee
No change as of 3/5
Emergency: FDIC | Taxable: VTMFX | Retirement: TR2040

Zorn

Post by Zorn » Tue May 14, 2019 8:32 am

fiddleleaf wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:46 pm
jeh08016 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:52 am
JP Morgan customer service has been no help. I called and asked if you're able to invest in Vanguard Admiral Funds through YouInvest. Spoke to multiple people who could only reference a fund list dated last August and told me no, after initially saying absolutely. A manager suggested I open an account to see for myself. If anyone has any info I'd appreciate it. Interested in VTSAX and VTIAX.
Just a heads up, my order for VTSAX in a IRA with only a $200 purchase went through. No minimums on either VTSAX or VTIAX at Chase You Invest. Also picked some VTSAX successfully in another account at You Invest, about $3000 and that went through. So Admiral funds are live at Chase You Invest with no minimum purchase.
Is there any way to convert my regular Vanguard shares to Admiral shares? I already had both US and international in Vanguard Admiral funds before I switched to You Invest, I had to convert all of them to investor class as Chase didn't have those funds then. Can I change back?

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue May 14, 2019 5:04 pm

Zorn wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:32 am
Is there any way to convert my regular Vanguard shares to Admiral shares? I already had both US and international in Vanguard Admiral funds before I switched to You Invest, I had to convert all of them to investor class as Chase didn't have those funds then. Can I change back?
To the best o my knowledge, the only way to do conversions is at Vanguard. Of course, you can sell and buy anywhere that has both funds, but that would be a taxable event in a non-tax-advantaged account, and usually can't be the same day.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

international001

Re: ?Admiral share availability in other brokerages?

Post by international001 » Tue May 14, 2019 5:37 pm

b0B wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:14 pm
However at Merrill Edge, the Vanguard Investor class fund info pages show no sign of change, and it will let you place an order to buy it (though it may not execute). I suspect that all this shows is that Merrill Edge is not up to date.
I recently moved ME from Vanguard to ME. Some of them you cannot buy at ME, some of them you cannot even move. And none of them allows you to sell selecting specific lots (you have to call them to do it so)

So it's a grey area. Better not to do it.

Almond

Post by Almond » Wed May 15, 2019 8:40 am

Still new to all this. Seen posts mentioning admiral shares. What is good about them vs VTI or something? I am looking to move to ME, which seems is not a good place to buy them?

TY

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:02 am

Almond wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:40 am
Still new to all this. Seen posts mentioning admiral shares. What is good about them vs VTI or something? I am looking to move to ME, which seems is not a good place to buy them?

TY
Admiral shares are mutual funds. VTI is the ETF version. If you are moving to ME it is best to use ETF's if you are comfortable to use them vs mutual funds if you will have any need to buy/sell.

Almond

Post by Almond » Wed May 15, 2019 10:53 am

Nate79 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:02 am
Almond wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:40 am

TY
Admiral shares are mutual funds. VTI is the ETF version. If you are moving to ME it is best to use ETF's if you are comfortable to use them vs mutual funds if you will have any need to buy/sell.
TY so why do people seem keen to get the admiral shares?

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed May 15, 2019 11:10 am

Almond wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:53 am
TY so why do people seem keen to get the admiral shares?
They like traditional mutual funds. There are advantages for people making regular purchases and investing certain amounts of money. Most brokerages don't allow purchasing fractional shares of ETFs.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.