Google Chrome Users - How do you stop the address bar from being a search box?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
inbox788

Google Chrome Users - How do you stop the address bar from being a search box?

Post by inbox788 » Mon May 13, 2019 6:30 pm

[Update:
Disabling chrome://flags/#omnibox-drive-suggestions seems to be the solution! Thanks Peculiar_Investor!]

The Chrome Omnibox (search box) is now putting searches ahead of URLs.

Anyone else using Google Chrome experiencing this new problem? It's strange that I just started noticing it, but it's driving me nuts!?! Don't know why it's been around more than 2 months, and I'm just now seeing it. Was there an updated version of Chrome that did this or is this a server side switch and they decide to torture a random set of their users?

How do you stop the address bar from being a search box?
https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/2782285?hl=en
Which *** thought it would be a good idea to include the search field in the address bar?!
STOP IT!
I've cleared the search history in my Google account
I've cleared the search history in Chrome
I've turned off the Web & App Activity

What am I missing? or is there no solution other than abandon Chrome? :annoyed :confused

Wrinkle: I am NOT logged into the Chrome browser, but I am logged into GMail/Apps/Account inside the browser. My browser history seems to be kept, and I'm not finding another way to shut it down. I think that's where it's getting the saved searches. I'm tired of searching for "bottles" whenever I'm trying to get to bogleheads.org.

[running Chrome Version 74.0.3729.131 on Windows 7]
Last edited by inbox788 on Thu May 16, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

southerndoc

Re: Google Chrome Users - How do you stop the address bar from being a search box?

Post by southerndoc » Mon May 13, 2019 7:21 pm

Type chrome://flags in the address box. There is an option there to disable it. The address bar is called the Omnibox.

Topic Author
inbox788

Re: Google Chrome Users - How do you stop the address bar from being a search box?

Post by inbox788 » Mon May 13, 2019 7:23 pm

southerndoc wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:21 pm
Type chrome://flags in the address box. There is an option there to disable it. The address bar is called the Omnibox.
Thanks, but I was not able to find a flag that seemed to apply. If you know the specific one, please let me know. These are the ones available to me and they're all on default.

Code: Select all

#enable-desktop-pwas-omnibox-install
#omnibox-rich-entity-suggestions
#omnibox-experimental-keyword-mode
#omnibox-reverse-answers
#omnibox-reverse-tab-switch-logic
#omnibox-tail-suggestions
#omnibox-tab-switch-suggestions
#omnibox-pedal-suggestions
#omnibox-drive-suggestions
#omnibox-deduplicate-drive-urls
#enable-speculative-service-worker-start-on-query-input
#enable-service-worker-long-running-message
#omnibox-display-title-for-current-url
#omnibox-ui-hide-steady-state-url-scheme
#omnibox-ui-hide-steady-state-url-trivial-subdomains
#omnibox-ui-hide-steady-state-url-path-query-and-ref
#omnibox-ui-one-click-unelide
#omnibox-ui-max-autocomplete-matches
#omnibox-ui-vertical-margin
#omnibox-ui-show-suggestion-favicons
#omnibox-ui-swap-title-and-url
#omnibox-ui-blue-search-loop-and-search-query
#omnibox-ui-blue-titles-and-gray-urls-on-page-suggestions
#omnibox-ui-blue-titles-on-page-suggestions
#omnibox-ui-show-suffix-on-all-search-suggestions
#omnibox-ui-white-background-on-blur
#omnibox-ui-use-generic-search-engine-icon
#omnibox-ui-bold-user-text-on-search-suggestions
#omnibox-ui-unbold-suggestion-text
#omnibox-material-design-weather-icons
#enable-query-in-omnibox
Looks like this problem dates back at least to 2015. I wonder why it's never been an issue until now.
https://browsernative.com/disable-omnibox-chrome-263/

I'm ready to try to use Bing as my default search engine. Seems like that's what some folks have had to do.

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Mon May 13, 2019 7:28 pm

There are a bunch of options there that will affect searches in the Omnibox.

Alternatively, you can also go into Chrome Settings, click Advanced , and under Privacy and Security click Sync and Google services. There are some options there about autocompletion. Try that and see if it helps.

Topic Author
inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:19 pm

southerndoc wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:28 pm
There are a bunch of options there that will affect searches in the Omnibox.

Alternatively, you can also go into Chrome Settings, click Advanced , and under Privacy and Security click Sync and Google services. There are some options there about autocompletion. Try that and see if it helps.
Thanks, I'll take a look. Is it that unusual to use URL shortcuts in the Omnibox? I would have thought more people would be experiencing this problem.

I found my Chromebook running Version 73.0.3683.88 and it's not behaving as badly. I visit http://news.google.com and http://bogleheads.org. I also search for "news" and "bottle". For me, since forever, the url was always the top/default choice, so I type "n" or "ne" and the "http://news.google.com" was the top choice. Now both are trying to search for "news" (wrong, IMO). So I never noticed it before, but today, on the newer version, "b" or "bo" will prioritize searching "bottle, while the older system goes to "http://bogleheads.org" (my desired action!). On the newer, there's more misbehavior. [I'm afraid to update the Chromebook if it's going to make this worse]

I think they made a change to the sorting and prioritization that for me is a very bad change, or more likely a bug. I'm hoping it's not some new policy and there is a fix.

Topic Author
inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:46 am

Update: I made a bunch of setting changes, but they didn't seem to help. A couple of days later, things seem to have improved a little. I suspect someone is making some behind the scene changes. I got back my "b" and "bo" to go to "bogleheads.org", but I still don't have my "f" going to "finance.google.com". Some of my other shortcuts have come back too, like "a" and "n". I guess this is what happens when the AI decides to take a few days off.

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Thu May 16, 2019 6:54 am

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Thu May 16, 2019 7:17 am

inbox788 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:46 am
Update: I made a bunch of setting changes, but they didn't seem to help. A couple of days later, things seem to have improved a little. I suspect someone is making some behind the scene changes. I got back my "b" and "bo" to go to "bogleheads.org", but I still don't have my "f" going to "finance.google.com". Some of my other shortcuts have come back too, like "a" and "n". I guess this is what happens when the AI decides to take a few days off.
Why don't you create a bookmark and not worry about typing it?

Topic Author
inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:10 pm

Thanks! I think was the source of the problem. I disabled chrome://flags/#omnibox-drive-suggestions and I got back my "f" for finance.google.com. I don't use docs that much, so I don't understand what they're trying to do here, and it's disruptive of a basic function I use frequently.
southerndoc wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:17 am
Why don't you create a bookmark and not worry about typing it?
Typing is a lot easier for me. I can reach dozens of websites with a few keystrokes. Is there a way to access bookmarks with keystrokes? Looks like there is an extension to use Alt key with the Bookmark Bar, but it's more complicated than how I had things.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/open-goog ... shortcuts/

Hope it's fixed and they don't break it again!

mega317

Post by mega317 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:18 pm

Another option, I don't know if this helps you, is Ctrl+Enter. If you type a word then that combination, it will add www. to the beginning and .com to the end and take you to a website rather than a google search.

"Bogleheads" then Ctrl+Enter, leads to www.bogleheads.com which redirects to bogleheads.org