Do you reward yourself for achieving a financial goal?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Schlabba

Do you reward yourself for achieving a financial goal?

Post by Schlabba » Wed May 15, 2019 2:53 am

Hi,

Like the title says, did you ever buy luxury for as a reward? Like a nice rolex when reaching 250000 net worth or a new BMW at 500000 or something like that?

sambb

Re: Do you reward yourself for achieving a financial goal?

Post by sambb » Wed May 15, 2019 3:03 am

you left out a zero from my perspective
maybe buy something) at 2,500,000. Usually it might be a starbucks coffee
nice car (1-2 years old, preowned) at 5,000,000 if needed and old car is ready to be turned in, not as a reward though

at 250,000 or 500,000 not really on the radar for me, thats just money for retirement, and not really a reward style of purchase
Last edited by sambb on Wed May 15, 2019 4:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

mrspock

Post by mrspock » Wed May 15, 2019 3:14 am

At $1M invested my reward was a brand new Ford F-150 truck. I got there... didn't buy the truck. Then I said $2M... got there... couldn’t do it again. Long story short... I value my (retirement) time more than some dumb truck :) . Still driving my old car... maybe after my new goal (outright retirement) I’ll get my reward... which is now an electric car (need to get with the times!).

dekecarver

Post by dekecarver » Wed May 15, 2019 4:21 am

Same boat (no pun intended) here, made plans to acknowledge milestones (Porsche, trip, etc) and ended up investing the money. I do buy a $20-30 bottle of wine now instead of sticking with $8-10. :beer

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed May 15, 2019 5:05 am

I don't reward myself for achieving my financial goals. I also buy new vehicles, has been every 8+ years, because buying new vehicles doesn't impact achieving my financial goals.

My F-150 is now 5 1/2 years old with 35,000 on it, and we retired a 2010 Fusion Hybrid, bought in 2009 during Cash For Clunkers, with a 2018 Fusion Energi PHEV back in September.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

msk

Post by msk » Wed May 15, 2019 5:10 am

I prefer to look at my income, not NW. I assume roughly 5% net on stocks (of course varies up and down but that's a good assumption on average), whatever comes net on rental RE, plus job income. Save and (re)invest 30% of total net income, spend the rest guilt free. If followed religiously over your 30s and 40s, you ought to run out of toys to yearn for by your late 50s. By your 60s/70s you ought to feel wealthy enough to tend towards philanthropy.

Psyayeayeduck

Post by Psyayeayeduck » Wed May 15, 2019 5:25 am

Chipolte. With Guac. :moneybag :D

Might even throw in chips and guac. :moneybag :moneybag

Topic Author
Schlabba

Post by Schlabba » Wed May 15, 2019 5:33 am

msk wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:10 am
I prefer to look at my income, not NW. I assume roughly 5% net on stocks (of course varies up and down but that's a good assumption on average), whatever comes net on rental RE, plus job income. Save and (re)invest 30% of total net income, spend the rest guilt free. If followed religiously over your 30s and 40s, you ought to run out of toys to yearn for by your late 50s. By your 60s/70s you ought to feel wealthy enough to tend towards philanthropy.
Interesting approach. Currently my goal is to achieve financial independence as soon as possible, therefore even with a decent net worth for my age there is no room for luxury.
Maybe I should also limit my investing to a percentage or absolute number and enjoy the rest.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed May 15, 2019 5:45 am

When we hit a significant milestone, I now buy Kona coffee without feeling like I’m a spendthrift.

I still can’t get myself to splurge on business class tickets.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

Advaita

Post by Advaita » Wed May 15, 2019 5:48 am

Achieving the financial goal is the reward for me. The satisfaction is not delayed until the milestone is reached, rather the process of undertaking it is quite gratifying.

This is equally applied to all endeavors, which makes for a fulfilling life.

msk

Post by msk » Wed May 15, 2019 5:50 am

Schlabba wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:33 am
msk wrote:
Interesting approach. Currently my goal is to achieve financial independence as soon as possible, therefore even with a decent net worth for my age there is no room for luxury.
Maybe I should also limit my investing to a percentage or absolute number and enjoy the rest.
I came to this approach in discussions with a childhood buddy (same age) when we were in our early 30s and just starting to make reasonable incomes. He had never gone to college due to family circumstances and I had a PhD but our earnings kept pace throughout life. We did worry that there is no point in making money for its own sake and we both bought the top Mercedes S Coupes of the day new when we were 37, and we both retired at 55. Unfortunately my childhood buddy died this year at age 74, but he did leave behind an 8 figure legacy, despite all the fancy toys we ploughed through over the decades. It works! Start with 30% save-and-invest early in life and stick to it religiously.

gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh » Wed May 15, 2019 6:24 am

msk wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:50 am
Schlabba wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:33 am
msk wrote:
I came to this approach in discussions with a childhood buddy (same age) when we were in our early 30s and just starting to make reasonable incomes. He had never gone to college due to family circumstances and I had a PhD but our earnings kept pace throughout life. We did worry that there is no point in making money for its own sake and we both bought the top Mercedes S Coupes of the day new when we were 37, and we both retired at 55. Unfortunately my childhood buddy died this year at age 74, but he did leave behind an 8 figure legacy, despite all the fancy toys we ploughed through over the decades. It works! Start with 30% save-and-invest early in life and stick to it religiously.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SW7PsBQd85s&t=223s

:beer

Snowjob

Post by Snowjob » Wed May 15, 2019 6:33 am

Come on, for all the time spent here on this message board surely some of you could take a break from your frugal ways for a moment and celebrate with more than a cup of coffee. If that's celebration to you I can't imagine the lifestyle you choose to live WOW. OK I guess I'm guilty of much the same behavior. I didn't celebrate when I hit 2 commas, but I guess that's because the goal was never 2 commas for me, it was complete financial independence, which unfortunately is still quite a ways away.

I may have celebrated in some way if all my assets were in a single account. Strangely I feel more more accomplished seeing a single account hit 500k than knowing all 4 or 5 totaled 1M.

sailaway

Post by sailaway » Wed May 15, 2019 6:41 am

Snowjob wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:33 am
Come on, for all the time spent here on this message board surely some of you could take a break from your frugal ways for a moment and celebrate with more than a cup of coffee. If that's celebration to you I can't imagine the lifestyle you choose to live WOW. OK I guess I'm guilty of much the same behavior. I didn't celebrate when I hit 2 commas, but I guess that's because the goal was never 2 commas for me, it was complete financial independence, which unfortunately is still quite a ways away.

I may have celebrated in some way if all my assets were in a single account. Strangely I feel more more accomplished seeing a single account hit 500k than knowing all 4 or 5 totaled 1M.
But the OP is wondering if folks spend 10+% in celebration. That just seems counter productive to the whole process.

But still, we just stare at each other for a few minutes in excited awe, then go about our day. When the total gets really overwhelming, we will sail away. We just never spend money just because it is there. Our purpose in accumulation is not branded luxury, but rather the luxury of time and options.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Wed May 15, 2019 6:47 am

Schlabba wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:53 am
Hi,

Like the title says, did you ever buy luxury for as a reward? Like a nice rolex when reaching 250000 net worth or a new BMW at 500000 or something like that?
We bought ourselves nice dinner after reaching a milestone. Buying a BMW may be too much if your net worth is half a million, in my opinion.

KandT

Post by KandT » Wed May 15, 2019 6:49 am

Yes, I do. I am worth a little over 2 million now and just started to "reward" myself. I have taken my family on some nice vacations and we bought 2 (at different times) used RVs. We were careful buying and selling the Rv's that we didn't lose too much but knew that they are financially about as stupid as you can get. We made great memories in those RV's though. We did not let them sit around when we were done with them. Sold them because they break whether you use them or not and drop in value quickly. We don't eat out even on vacation if at all possible - such a money vacuum with little value.

One funny story is when we paid off our house. I am not sure what I was expecting - maybe a ticker Tate parade for me or something but even the bank person just gave me a half hearted smile and said congrats. Then I went home and resumed my normal life. Except I changed my mortgage payment from sending it to the bank to sending to investments.

More importantly is the peace of mind knowing that even if I was let go today I would be fine for a long time. What will be the real reward is when I am completely financially independent because all the money in the world can't buy even one second.

Time is the real reward because I don't have to sell it to someone else!! I'll take that and my WalMart Timex over a Rolex any day of the freakin week!!

Meaty

Post by Meaty » Wed May 15, 2019 6:57 am

mrspock wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:14 am
At $1M invested my reward was a brand new Ford F-150 truck. I got there... didn't buy the truck. Then I said $2M... got there... couldn’t do it again. Long story short... I value my (retirement) time more than some dumb truck :) . Still driving my old car... maybe after my new goal (outright retirement) I’ll get my reward... which is now an electric car (need to get with the times!).
This. The reward for me is FIRE. It’s hammer down until then
"Discipline equals Freedom" - Jocko Willink

veindoc

Post by veindoc » Wed May 15, 2019 7:08 am

We didn’t plan to but when we reached a million we paid less attention to the expenses. If I wanted avocado and it was $1.50 each I just bought it instead of waiting until it was 99 cents. That indifference to cost allowed us to buu a Tesla because my husband wanted it. I got a bathroom renovation that I had priced out 3 years prior but couldn’t pull the trigger on. My next goal is the next million. I might do the kitchen then if I am still inclined.

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Wed May 15, 2019 7:08 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:45 am
When we hit a significant milestone, I now buy Kona coffee without feeling like I’m a spendthrift.

+1
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed May 15, 2019 7:11 am

No

Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed May 15, 2019 7:17 am

Of course I bought myself something - a nice retirement!

My big purchase was to pay for a nice dinner out with friends. It seems anti-frugal to spend big on something - especially before you reach your goal post.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed May 15, 2019 7:26 am

Snowjob wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:33 am

I buy what I want within reason. New cars every 12yrs or so - Camry. Nice home with furniture I love. Remodeled kitchen. Nothing is top of the line or cheap. All paid in cash. Mostly saved 15% and at the end was well over 40% saving of gross.

bgf

Post by bgf » Wed May 15, 2019 7:33 am

we're only about $30k away from what id consider a net worth 'milestone,' though it doesn't really feel like one. maybe go out to a nice dinner.

paying off all debt but our mortgage so far has felt the best. it was basically all my student loans.

nothing since then has felt so final. i dont imagine paying off my mortgage will feel anywhere close. that is at least tied to a house, which is tangible, and the rate is low. paying off student loans for "education" at a rate of like 6.8-8% was absolutely god awful.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"

FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE » Wed May 15, 2019 7:40 am

We just hit the $1m net worth milestone. Doesn't feel like much, honestly. Buying a brand new car would just feel like an extra burden to me. I'd worry about where to park it so it doesn't get damaged, keeping it clean, etc. Then I would fume at the inflated tax and insurance bills. I would get zero enjoyment out of it.

The only thing I do for myself now is not sweat the small stuff. If nobody feels like cooking, we order out without guilt. When my shoes are getting worn, I buy a good quality new pair. Stuff like that.

HornedToad

Post by HornedToad » Wed May 15, 2019 7:41 am

My wife and I go out to a nice dinner (~$200-400). Less now than we used to but we'll probably do the same the next big milestone.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed May 15, 2019 7:41 am

Schlabba wrote:
Hi,

It’ll be very hard to hit future financial goals if you’re buying a $10,000 watch when you only have $250k or a $50k car when you only have $500k.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Wed May 15, 2019 7:51 am

Schlabba wrote:
I get myself a little plastic "Participant" trophy, of course! Isn't that the way it's done these days?

mancich

Post by mancich » Wed May 15, 2019 7:54 am

We're at $1.7MM NW. Didn't specifically designate rewards at $1MM or $1.5MM, etc. We just live well beneath our means, enjoy a nice vacation or two with the kids every year, good food, and a nice home. Works for us. Once I retire (hopefully 3 years), I may reward myself with a nice toy, but haven't figured out what that will be yet.

shawndoggy

Post by shawndoggy » Wed May 15, 2019 7:56 am

does rolling around in my virtual stash like scrooge mcduck count?

magicrat

Post by magicrat » Wed May 15, 2019 8:06 am

If you buy a BMW when you get to $500k...you're not going to have $500k anymore. If you buy the car, do you buy another one when you get back to $500k?

SGM

Post by SGM » Wed May 15, 2019 8:07 am

I realize as boomers we are targets of those who want to sell us expensive things and services that are supposed to make our lives better and happier. Any celebration we do is among ourselves or with close friends and family. Milestones are never mentioned other than to ourselves. Every day is full of thankfulness for being born in a country with so much opportunity for those willing to put in the work and prepare for working. Any criticism is water off a duck's back. So have at it. :D

KandT

Post by KandT » Wed May 15, 2019 8:35 am

A Rolex would be like eating a Big Mac because you lost 50 pounds.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:42 am

I don't buy things when I hit milestones, I buy them when I want them. I bought a Rolex because I wanted it. I go on nice vacations because I want to.

I don't believe early retirement would be worth it if I had to live less of a life than I desire.

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Wed May 15, 2019 8:46 am

Schlabba wrote:
Hi,

Seriously? You're going to drop 10% of your net at 500k to buy a car? It's like the one young manager at our mega Corp that got promoted and was in a new Benz SUV a few months later. Good luck with that.

The short answer is no.

I may buy a bottle of Dom Perignon when we hit 3 million, though. I never had it.

No big splurges. We have enjoyed small upgrades, however. I'll upgrade to 1st class on my own dime on company travel, I don't worry about what my Belgian beer costs, and we enjoy nice vacations. That sort of thing.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Wed May 15, 2019 8:54 am

My reward is feeling secure due to having a financial cushion against job loss, medical emergencies, house/car repairs, etc.

Personally I wouldn’t spend 10% of a 6-figure portfolio on a luxury item as a reward. But as our portfolio increased close to “enough”, our budget increased to include travel, meals out, etc.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Wed May 15, 2019 8:59 am

For most BHs, the increased financial security will be its own reward.

FireProof

Post by FireProof » Wed May 15, 2019 9:00 am

Yup, every time. I've already got 10 Rolexes, but for some reason I never reach that BMW.

umfan11244

Post by umfan11244 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:04 am

Yes. My wife and I both wrote down rewards what we want upon reaching the two comma club. What’s the point of saving all of this $$ if we did prior to retirement! Gotta have some rewards built in!

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:05 am

Nope, as someone else mentioned. The achievement is the reward for us!

Besides, I don't really have a need to have many material possessions. They don't satisfy me.

mhc

Post by mhc » Wed May 15, 2019 9:21 am

I wouldn't go out and make a large purchase when I hit a financial goal, but I do allow life style creep. For example, on vacation we may get a nice dinner instead of eating at Subway.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Wed May 15, 2019 9:26 am

Lightening up on the day-to-day has added an element of relaxation to life. Nothing big or fancy, but lots of little things that in sum, make every day more enjoyable.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed May 15, 2019 9:33 am

Planning on buying a high-end electric-assist fat bike when we get the house paid off (ETA <3yrs). FWIW, it should be <.2% of our networth. We'll see if I actually go through with it.

Elena

Post by Elena » Wed May 15, 2019 9:40 am

No, because reaching a financial goal is mostly beyond my doing and in the hands of the market. I do celebrate work achievements by going out to a nice lunch or buying a t-shirt that I do not need.

Quirkz

Post by Quirkz » Wed May 15, 2019 9:40 am

I'll probably celebrate $1m when I get there. It won't be with a traditional luxury item like a watch or car, though, but something between a small meal and a small vacation, or maybe a renovation project on the house.

For some of the smaller numbers I didn't even notice, but if I had I wouldn't have done much. For instance, at $250k, that was probably when I had $50k in equity on a $330k house, a six-month emergency fund, and $175k in retirement accounts in my late 30's. It may have value, but all of that money was also in things that shouldn't be touched/cashed out. My second kid had just been born, my wife had quit her job to stay home because it was cheaper than daycare. I didn't feel rich, I felt over-extended and cash-strapped, and mostly behind schedule.

I think I'm just past $500k now (depending on the market). Probably $150k of that (so roughly a third) is the house, and of that chunk a third is probably appreciation -- it's real, but kind of invisible, and definitely not the sort of thing that justifies a BMW. There's still an emergency fund. And the rest is retirement accounts. The kids are in school and my wife does some freelance work so we're not quite as cash-strapped, but we're also still not sitting on piles of money or anything, and what extras we do have tend to funnel toward activities for the family and repairs on the house.

In the same way that "a million dollars" ain't what it used to be, these net worth milestones often don't feel like what you'd expect when you're there. "Oh, I have half a million dollars!" sounds cool when you're dreaming about it, but when it's locked up behind a mortgage that's still not half paid off or in accounts you can't touch for a few decades, it's not nearly the same thing.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Wed May 15, 2019 9:41 am

Buying something because you saved a bunch of money is akin to eating ice cream because you achieved a new weight loss goal.

No, I don't go out and buy something because of meeting a financial goal.

WildBill

Post by WildBill » Wed May 15, 2019 9:46 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:45 am

Howdy

When you have figured out a way to talk yourself into it let me know.

I can’t either.

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed May 15, 2019 9:50 am

runner3081 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:05 am
Nope, as someone else mentioned. The achievement is the reward for us!

Besides, I don't really have a need to have many material possessions. They don't satisfy me.
+1
Absolutely agree.
Well said. :D

OTOH: one should "reward" oneself, and "spouse", as often as possible.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Wed May 15, 2019 9:53 am

I rewarded myself with a Ferrari at $100k networth. /s

Seriously, when we got to $1m we might have high-fived or something. No particular reward. We're halfway to the second million and I can't imagine much celebration/rewarding then either.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:59 am

miamivice wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:41 am
Buying something because you saved a bunch of money is akin to eating ice cream because you achieved a new weight loss goal.

No, I don't go out and buy something because of meeting a financial goal.
Back in the day, in my late 20s, I got my cholesterol checked for the first time. Found out it was not high at all and celebrated with a double quarter pounder with cheese at McDonalds.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Wed May 15, 2019 10:03 am

My only financial goal was to have enough to retire. I rewarded myself by retiring.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.