What is this collection device?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
asset_chaos

What is this collection device?

Post by asset_chaos » Tue May 14, 2019 8:46 pm

The collection jug pictured below has appeared at the fence line of our local train station. I don't know what it is, and I'm hoping someone can tell me. It's on a pole about 3 meters (10 feet) up. It seems too big to be a rain gauge. Maybe there's a lure inside and critters crawl or fly in through the funnel to be collected and counted later. This is purely a curiosity driven question. Thanks for insights.

Regards, | | Guy

southerndoc

Re: What is this collection device?

Post by southerndoc » Tue May 14, 2019 9:00 pm

Mosquito trap?

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue May 14, 2019 9:20 pm

A jug from a still? :confused
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Tue May 14, 2019 10:42 pm

OP, you're in Melbourne, Australia, correct?

Maybe a flying wombat trap :P
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

Topic Author
asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos » Tue May 14, 2019 11:15 pm

I am, and there is a flying wombat microbrewery, I think, in Brisbane. That could combine well with some of the other guesses about moonshine.;-)
Regards, | | Guy

jbranx

Post by jbranx » Wed May 15, 2019 12:34 am

This looks somewhat like the Japanese beetle traps that are in use in the US South where that bug eats everything from grapevine leaves to okra plants. I used to make my own traps out of gallon milk jugs, not unlike the ones in the image from Aus. Here's the Old Farmer's Almanac on this beastly bug: https://www.almanac.com/pest/japanese-beetles and some pics on homemade traps from Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/185774171 ... 0/?lp=true. The basic idea is to attract the bug and drown it in the jug. Just for the record, good moonshine always gets stored in mason jars, except on the Andy Griffith show where the brown jugs were common.

ohai

Post by ohai » Wed May 15, 2019 1:05 am

It does look like a bug trapping setup of some kind. What is weird to me is how the bespoke nature of the mounting pole is at odds with the improvised bottle and funnel..

jbranx

Post by jbranx » Wed May 15, 2019 1:10 am

ohai wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:05 am
It does look like a bug trapping setup of some kind. What is weird to me is how the bespoke nature of the mounting pole is at odds with the improvised bottle and funnel..
That has me baffled as well. Lot of welding to kill a few bugs. OTOH it may have just been re-purposed from some other function like holding a flower or plant of some kind.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed May 15, 2019 1:45 am

It's got all the signs of publicly funded art:

- No discernible purpose
- Conflict between form and medium - a means of figurative abstraction or some other art critic-like buzz words
- Most importantly, unattractive to look at

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Wed May 15, 2019 6:31 am

iamlucky13 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:45 am
It's got all the signs of publicly funded art:

- No discernible purpose
- Conflict between form and medium - a means of figurative abstraction or some other art critic-like buzz words
- Most importantly, unattractive to look at
This gave me a good chuckle...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Rob54keep

Post by Rob54keep » Wed May 15, 2019 6:47 am

A cheap fix to a leaky gutter.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed May 15, 2019 9:06 am

asset_chaos wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:46 pm
The collection jug pictured below has appeared at the fence line of our local train station. I don't know what it is, and I'm hoping someone can tell me. It's on a pole about 3 meters (10 feet) up. It seems too big to be a rain gauge. Maybe there's a lure inside and critters crawl or fly in through the funnel to be collected and counted later. This is purely a curiosity driven question. Thanks for insights.
I have seen something similar, but much smaller, on fenceposts around the perimeter of cotton fields in the South. After asking a farmer friend of mine, he explained that they were weevil traps. The farmers would observe the number of weevils inside the traps around their fields to determine when and how much insecticide to spray.

The picture in the OP is obviously not that, but it does look like some sort of insect trap.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed May 15, 2019 3:15 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (not a Consumer Issue). See: Personal Consumer Issues
This subforum is focused on making informed decisions about consumer goods and services (other than investing or financial).

Acceptable topics include:

- consumer goods and services (e.g., dress shirts, laptops, software)
- home maintenance
- vehicle purchases and maintenance
- leisure and recreational activities: travel, sports, entertainment

Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) life as a consumer. General comments or complaints about these topics will be removed.

Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
asset_chaos - If you find out the purpose of the collection jug, please PM me. I'll post the answer here.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:20 pm

The OP has identified the device:
After a dead end at the state environmental department, the public transport authority finally answered my query and says that "the device is a dust monitor installed by the Level Crossing Removal Project." The level crossing removal project is a large construction effort to move the train line under the road where they cross but has not yet started. So not a critter trap, a dust trap.
(Thread remains locked.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.