Letting Dog out everyday for lunch... the roundtrip drive is killing me.. ideas?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
gd

Re: Letting Dog out everyday for lunch... the roundtrip drive is killing me.. ideas?

Post by gd » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:57 am

EnjoyIt wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:17 pm
OP is clearly ignoring all responses that recommend just letting the pet hold it. Unless I am mistaken, it seams to be a non-starter.
Most internet forum posts-- everywhere, not just here-- are written for the pleasure of the writer.

Lucky Lemon

Re: Letting Dog out everyday for lunch... the roundtrip drive is killing me.. ideas?

Post by Lucky Lemon » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:06 am

First world problems...
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. - Red Green

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Tue May 14, 2019 5:43 am

MortgageOnBlack wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:17 pm
First off, before it gets suggested, my dog isn't going anywhere. We love him very much! Our dog is non-destructible and has no separation anxiety. He is a 5-year-old Golden Retriever who has free rein of house when we're not there. We are able to to watch him on our Nest cam throughout the day and he sleeps, mostly. My commute to work is 18 miles each way (36 round-trip). 4 days a week I have been letting him out of the house for a bathroom break around mid-day for my lunch. The entire ordeal usually takes 1-1.25 hour to let him out for 5, maybe 10 minutes (there's even a rare occasions where he refuses to go; of course, 5-10 minutes might not be enough time for him to do his business). Besides the stress of doing basically 2 commutes a day, the additional wear and tear, gas, and rushing is starting to get to me. I've done this for over 2 years and am getting very tired of it with the lunchtime rush. Luckily, there is some relief when my fiancee is on Summer, (2-2.5 months) Spring (2 weeks), and Winter break (1 week?). Now, it seems crazy, but there has to be a solution to my ordeal:

1) Doggie Door - I don't like the idea of having him have full access to our backyard. I also worry about critters coming in (squirrels, raccoons, stray cats, etc...). Now I do find solution which require my pet to wear a collar for access, but I don't like the idea of him coming/going when we're not home. The preferred solution would be a app driven doggie door which I could control from my phone. I have searched the market for one and they don't exist. Maybe I should invent it :D

2) Have someone closer let him out - My fiancee can only break away from the school for 20-30 minutes 1 day a week which explains why I am doing it 4 times. She is a kindergarten teacher and doesn't have much flexibility, but she is a lot closer. We also don't have anyone in the area we can trust.

3) Doggie DayCare/Drop-him off at a relative - I have no relatives on the way to my job. Doggie DayCare could be an option.

4) Look for a job closer to the house - :confused

5) Sell the house and move - :confused

6) Leave him be - I don't like the idea of this and this has been the main reason I have handled things the way I have. I usually leave the house around 7:20am/7:30am and don't get home until 5:30/5:45pm. Fiancee leaves earlier than me, but usually gets home around 5:00/5:15pm

7) Any other suggestions I didn't think of?

Anybody ever have a situation like this? How did you cope. Getting really tired of the drive, but if this is as good as it gets then I will just suck it up... Sometimes, I can do on-site consulting work and we have lots of clients mid-way. I usually try to schedule them first thing in the afternoon.

If possible, please help me think outside the box on this one. I've been stubborn and it's starting to burn me out.
So what was the final outcome? Thanks

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Tue May 14, 2019 6:18 am

Ask your vet for recommendations for a pet sitter/walker to let your pooch out. I would trust their recommendation much more than a website. Retirees often offer these services. I've never any problems with a dog door however it sounds like you might not trust the safety of your dog in your neighborhood. I also feel like 10-12 hours is much too long to leave a dog without a way to relieve bladder & colon. When you gotta go, you gotta go :|
"Go placidly amid the noise and the haste..." Epictecus

JBeck

Post by JBeck » Tue May 14, 2019 7:14 am

We found a Facebook page for the housing development we live in and posted in that group. We found someone to come during lunch to let our dog out for $25/week, the lady was already letting her own dogs out at lunch everyday down the street.

kenoryan

Post by kenoryan » Tue May 14, 2019 10:25 pm

We have a golden. She is 8 years old. My wife works an hour away. She leaves at 6 am and comes home at 6 pm. I have irregular hours. Some days it’s 8 hours and other days it could be 12-16 hours in surgery.

We leave her at home and she does fine for 12 hours, most of the time sleeping on the couch. I watch her on the blink cameras located all over the house. Some days when wife is at after work dinner or whatever and I’m on call and working late, we ask one of the neighbors to let her out to pee. Never had an accident. Neighbors are super nice and at least 4 neighbors know our garage opener code. We help them out whenever they need it.