Berkshire Hathaway 2019 Annual Shareholders Meeting, Live Stream Replay

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
oldzey

Berkshire Hathaway 2019 Annual Shareholders Meeting, Live Stream Replay

Post by oldzey » Sat May 04, 2019 8:24 am

Berkshire Hathaway 2019 Annual Shareholders Meeting.

May 4, 2019 - starting at 9:45 a.m. ET

Link to stream: https://finance.yahoo.com/brklivestream/

[Edit - changed title to add "Replay"]
Last edited by oldzey on Sat May 04, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

JoMoney

Re: Berkshire Hathaway 2019 Annual Shareholders Meeting, Live Stream

Post by JoMoney » Sat May 04, 2019 8:30 am

It was nice seeing and hearing Mr. Bogle there last year, and Buffett's acknowledgement of Mr. Bogle's contribution to investors. He is sorely missed.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Topic Author
oldzey

Post by oldzey » Sat May 04, 2019 9:18 am

Meeting has started.
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

Topic Author
oldzey

Post by oldzey » Sat May 04, 2019 11:58 am

Adjourned for lunch. Will reconvene in one hour.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Sat May 04, 2019 12:11 pm

Really enjoy watching it....watched it last year too.

By following WB you can learn valuable life skills as well as investing skills.

He is, as Jack Bogle was and still is, truly larger than life.

Two of the greatest financial people ever.

Topic Author
oldzey

Post by oldzey » Sat May 04, 2019 1:06 pm

... and they're back!

Topic Author
oldzey

Post by oldzey » Sat May 04, 2019 3:54 pm

That's a wrap - I'm looking forward to the Apple and Amazon booths in 2020. :sharebeer

Topic Author
oldzey

Re: Berkshire Hathaway 2019 Annual Shareholders Meeting, Live Stream Replay

Post by oldzey » Sat May 04, 2019 5:22 pm

segfault

Post by segfault » Sat May 04, 2019 10:46 pm

The only thing missing was the annual movie, which unfortunately, is one of the best parts.

This year, it was a little short on new content besides the usual advertisements for subsidiary companies, but the big announcement was hilarious. Buffett hustled off to a top secret R&D area inside Apple's new headquarters, met Tim Cook, and got Cook to assign his best coders on an important project that Buffett said only Apple could solve. The end result was Paper Wizard, a paper throwing app available for iOS.

I normally skip the Oriental Trading booth, however, the movie pointed out that this year, they were selling "Nebraska Strong" t-shirts for $15, and all of the proceeds of the shirts go to flood relief.

The introduction of the managers was set to "Uptown Funk" with modified lyrics, which was great, although I wish "Old Town Road" had hit the charts in time for them to use it.

I just watched the Yahoo portion that aired during the movie, and the wrap-up, but need to watch the full replay, as there were portions I missed due to shopping and taking an early lunch. Munger nearly spilling his glass of Coke right out of the gate was kind of amusing.

Also, something I just noticed this year: The concession booths at the CHI Center are all equipped with Pepsi fountains and there are Aquafina ads throughout the stadium. You can't buy either of those during the meeting--the only choices are canned / bottled Coke products. :P

I thought Warren referred twice to $9.4 million in sales at Nebraska Furniture Mart "on Tuesday." I'm guessing he meant Friday? Most shareholders don't arrive in Omaha that early, although, if you've never been, you can easily spend a couple of days seeing the sights.

lazyday

Post by lazyday » Sun May 05, 2019 9:32 pm

oldzey wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:22 pm
Replay is up: https://finance.yahoo.com/brklivestream/
Some time markers for the first half:

13 web interview - politics: threat of wmd, inequality, etc
31 meeting start
48 q&a - share buybacks
53 rail
57 rail
103 wells fargo
113 buybacks
117 missed opportunity
121 politics
128 buybacks
133 5g
138 consumer brands
144 furniture
150 alternatives, lbo
159 amazon value, Brk still buying value?
206 brk insurance intrinsic value
217 saving & low returns
223 add ajit etc to q&a panel with web and charlie
232 10% limit on share ownership
238 starting a fund, alignment with investors
243 foreign holdings disclosure
246 precision cast parts margins
249 understanding behavior
253 pricing insurance (ajit & web answer)
301 3g partnering, retail intermediary
306 3g, margins
309 apple
330 brk partner interview: ron olsen
420 q&a resumes: rail

Feel free to add to this

Almekia

Post by Almekia » Tue May 07, 2019 4:24 am

I found a transcript of the meeting - https://www.thehobbyistinvestor.com/ber ... ranscript/

Interesting how on this year's annual meeting, not only did Warren admit that he and Charlie are considering letting Ajit Jain and Greg Abel join them on stage in the future to answer questions, he also, as far as I know for the first time in an annual meeting, ask Ajit to answer a Shareholder/Journalist's question.

Other than that, lots of wisdom again as usual from two of the world's greatest investors. I hope they can keep doing this for many more years.

Just found this forum after reading Mr. Bogle's book "Common Sense on Mutual Funds" (which I just finished - and enjoyed greatly!). Looking forward to reading and learning more about investing.

segfault

Post by segfault » Tue May 14, 2019 7:58 pm

oldzey wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:54 pm
That's a wrap - I'm looking forward to the Apple and Amazon booths in 2020. :sharebeer
That would be interesting... Both companies seem to be relatively averse to offering special discounts beyond what the general public can obtain. I think Nebraska Furniture Mart had a Google Home Mini on "sale" last year at the annual meeting. I contemplated buying one until I looked up the price and found out I could get it from Google for the same discounted price. So, even if Apple and/or Amazon have booths, I'm doubtful there would be a meaningful shareholder discount.

Also, most of the booths at the annual convention are from wholly owned subsidiaries like International Dairy Queen, Precision Brand, Acme Brick, NFM, See's Candies, Borsheim's, Oriental Trading, Duracell, etc. Looking at the vendor layout from this year, Coca-Cola might be the only publicly held stock which had a booth. Yahoo had a podium for broadcasting, and Omaha's locally owned bookstore was there, as well, but other than that, it looked like only BRK-owned businesses.

segfault

Post by segfault » Tue May 14, 2019 8:00 pm

Munger interview with Becky Quick after the Daily Journal annual meeting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmLiD9hF-4o

I paid no attention to whether he was in a wheelchair or not at the BRK annual meeting, but he very obviously is here. He's still very bright, but it seemed like she asked a lot of soft-pedal questions, as well.