Lower risk is in my plan but I just can't!

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
nedsaid

Re: Lower risk is in my plan but I just can't!

Post by nedsaid » Tue May 14, 2019 7:04 pm

Cody6136 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:50 pm
nedsaid wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:54 pm
Cody6136 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:30 pm
My plan says I need a smooth path from a heavy stock allocation in my tax advantaged accounts...to more fixed income there. My plan makes sense in this regard as I'm 59 and I need to adjust for my age and balance my taxable accounts, which are heavy on equities.

The problem is that I have a death grip on the stock mutual funds. I feel like I'm plowing good crops under.

How have you gotten yourself to downshfit to lower risk instruments when higher risk choices have become manifestations of your self image and more important, they're humming along. I've lived through 2007 to 20011. It wasn't pleasant but I hung in.
In other words, I have a fiduciary duty to myself.

I also have a fiduciary duty to myself!!

I think this would make a great sleeve tattoo.

Oh. Wait. Tattooing is not in my plan.

Thanks for this one!!
You bet! It is hard to de-risk the portfolio as you get older. For me, I started investing just as the great 1984-1999 bull market was starting. Always been a stock guy, not exited about getting 3% on bonds. But de-risk I must.
A fool and his money are good for business.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Two suggestions

Post by Taylor Larimore » Tue May 14, 2019 7:18 pm

cody6136:

Two suggestions:

1. Money you cannot afford to lose should be in bonds or other safe income securities.

2. Use this Asset-Allocation tool for help:

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/FundsI ... unds/tools

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle