Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mrmass

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by mrmass » Tue May 14, 2019 6:07 am

Buying lunch every day at work /s :happy

All kidding aside, a coworker who complains they're always broke buys lunch everyday...he says it makes him happy...but drives me crazy.

Is opposite true? what do you regret spending too much on?

When people say "on your death bed nobody ever said they wished they worked more" I rebut them and say "on your death bed would anyone wish they saved more and not spent frivolously"?

Sorry to get off track

bearcub

Post by bearcub » Tue May 14, 2019 6:14 am

Flash forward. I regretted not seeing Tame Impala when they were in the area a few years back. Just got tickets to see them this summer at Madison Square Garden. Sometimes you can go back. LOL.

MangoMama

Post by MangoMama » Tue May 14, 2019 7:25 am

We had an afternoon to kill in Mandalay, Myanmar a couple of years ago. Having just landed, we walked to the palace and were approached by a nice older gentleman who offered to take us around the city as a tour guide. He was a funny guy, had no problem cracking jokes about the government, and had an interesting story. We talked to him for a bit, but had our guard up and politely declined. We ended up walking around for a few hours in the brutal heat by ourselves.

Turns out he had shown Pico Iyer around Mandalay a couple of years prior and was a genuinely good person. I believe his name was Maung-Maung. Lots of regret there, worried about being taken for a few dollars. After our 2 week trip around Myanmar, we realized how stupid we had been. Not once had we been hassled or anyone trying to take advantage of us. The people were so genuinely nice & friendly.

I think about that afternoon a lot.

audioaxes

Post by audioaxes » Tue May 14, 2019 2:33 pm

I recent put 2 used tires on my car for $70. They were matching Nexens and had a pretty good amount of tread left. But few days later I notice my car now shakes when going above 75mph.
Looks like I'll have to eat that cost and just get new tires.

Cody6136

Post by Cody6136 » Tue May 14, 2019 2:44 pm

There was this one incredible horse that I thought about buying and did not. Sob!

squirm

Post by squirm » Tue May 14, 2019 2:52 pm

My wife and I would like to do European vacations with the kids, but the flight time is the impossible part. Five hours in a plane and I'm totally done. I can't imagine twelve hours. But we drop several grand a year on vacations... But the flight limits us.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Tue May 14, 2019 3:25 pm

squirm wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:52 pm
My wife and I would like to do European vacations with the kids, but the flight time is the impossible part. Five hours in a plane and I'm totally done. I can't imagine twelve hours. But we drop several grand a year on vacations... But the flight limits us.
I take a yearly vacation and is all in 30h non stop from door door. Flying itself is ~15 h in 2 legs, the first is 12h.
I would be so happy for the trip to end after the first leg. I did this couple of times and it was so pleasant. Not less painful, just pleasant.

On topic: several years ago I saw a nice S2000 for 11k. Seemed expensive. It wasn't.

rj342

Post by rj342 » Tue May 14, 2019 4:46 pm

In hindsight, not having a second child.
Expense was only part of it, aggravated by career changes and uncertainty when the time would have been right in terms of spacing. We already waited 7 years after marrying for the first and only, now about to be a senior in college.

vested1

Post by vested1 » Wed May 15, 2019 2:20 pm

We bought our circa 1968 home 25 years ago on the central coast of California, and like most homes of that age, it had no insulation due to our mild climate. We have maybe 1 or 2 days of frost, no snow, and about 20 inches of rain a year. If it gets to 80 degrees or 55 degrees everyone starts complaining. If I was living by myself the gas and electric would be about half of what it is, but then I wouldn't have a wife, and would have something else to complain about!

We blew in insulation in the attic, which helped a bit, but never insulated the walls (stucco outside, sheetrock inside). Our electric/gas bills average $250 a month in the winter and about $150 a month in the summer, and we wear as much or as little as possible to save on utilities. That's about $2,400 a year for a 1373 square foot single story house for gas and electric.

Comparing that to friends of ours who have well insulated homes, the difference in gas and electric over 25 years is about $45,000, much less than it would have cost to insulate the walls, with fewer coats/warmups and shorts/tank tops needed around the house. Now that our home is on the market someone else will have to determine if it's worth it to insulate.