Worth Fighting a Speeding Ticket?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
BJJ nerd

Worth Fighting a Speeding Ticket?

Post by BJJ nerd » Tue May 14, 2019 7:10 am

I was clocked going quite a bit over the speed limit; however, I got extremely lucky with the cop and he gave me a break on the documented citation speed over the limit.

My question is, should I still go the traffick lawyer route, even though I received lenience by the cop? Could this backfire with the judge reinstating the penalty associated with the actual speed over limit (stated in the citation).

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

southerndoc

Re: Worth Fighting a Speeding Ticket?

Post by southerndoc » Tue May 14, 2019 7:16 am

Does he have proof of your original speed? Was it documented somewhere? If he discussed it with you, then likely it's documented on his bodycam footage or dash cam.

Regardless, if you knew you were speeding, then you knew the consequences. I would owe up to your decision to speed unless you did so out of an emergency, just not knowing how fast you were going (not really a great excuse), or just happened to have had a seizure during the incident.

I speed, but I realize that if caught I have made the decision to speed and will pay my "speed tax" when due.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Tue May 14, 2019 7:16 am

I would hire a lawyer, yes, if only to save on insurance costs. You will pay the fine and court costs either way. The state makes deals all the time, particularly for first offenders or those with decades between infractions. There is very little chance you will even make it to the court room where the cop would be able to testify about the circumstances; usually the deals are done pre-trial.
Last edited by 8foot7 on Tue May 14, 2019 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

nobody123

Post by nobody123 » Tue May 14, 2019 7:16 am

You are guilty, the cop gave you a break, but you still want to fight it? Fight what, exactly?

hershey102d

Post by hershey102d » Tue May 14, 2019 7:17 am

Since you admit to exceeding the speed limit there is little point in hiring an attorney on such a minor charge. Expect court costs to be higher than expected. If this is a first offense you may be able to attend a traffic class and avoid points on your record.

Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 » Tue May 14, 2019 7:18 am

Why would you want to face a police officer in court that offered you leniency and then use it against him in a court of law. That sounds reprehensible to be honest.

You can easily go to court and get it dropped off of your record by offering to take an online course or paying additional charges possibly without having to play games with your personal code of ethics.
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Tue May 14, 2019 7:19 am

Good traffic lawyers can work wonders. Most likely outcome for you would be to reduce charge to something less impactful on insurance. I doubt they would antagonize the courts. They know the court people and understand how to work the system. IMO, your choice is to pay the fine or pay a traffic lawyer in hope he/she will get charge reduced (you would still pay but likely not affect insurance). If this is your first offense in a few years, it will likely not impact your insurance but a 2nd ticket will increase insurance a lot.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Tue May 14, 2019 7:19 am

Fighting it can save you some insurance money.

For those that don't know, in many states you can hire a law firm to work with the municipal court to get the ticket changed to illegal parking or some other non-moving violation and avoid points against your driver's license. You have to pay a fee to the lawyer and a fine to the court, though. It's about as complicated a transaction as ordering pizza online.

leonidas

Post by leonidas » Tue May 14, 2019 7:24 am

My son was speeding and we pleaded not guilty. Went to court and it got reduced to obstructed view. $54 bucks and no points. No lawyer either.

elcadarj

Post by elcadarj » Tue May 14, 2019 7:30 am

8foot7 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:16 am
I would hire a lawyer, yes, if only to save on insurance costs. You will pay the fine and court costs either way. The state makes deals all the time, particularly for first offenders or those with decades between infractions. There is very little chance you will even make it to the court room where the cop would be able to testify about the circumstances; usually the deals are done pre-trial.
+1 This is an insurance cost minimization exercise at this point. Will this raise your insurance rates more than the legal costs? While sons were still on family insurance policy hiring a lawyer for occasional tickets were well worth it. And for those that want to tangent off into a moral/ethical/life lesson tangent, the sons did pay their lawyer fees as they paid any delta in insurance cost vs clean record.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue May 14, 2019 7:32 am

Depends on the state and where the ticket was issued. In some towns, a ticket carries the fine and nothing else. In my state, there's the fine, the loss of "safe driver credit" for 6 years and an increase in insurance. Here, if the lawyer costs $1,000, and the ticket goes away, I win because all the garbage I'd have to pay over time is more than that.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Tue May 14, 2019 7:32 am

It would depend on the cost of the ticket.

Here are a couple of anecdotes. I was caught going 80 on a 65 limit. This would've been hundreds of dollars. I may have gone to court for this amount hoping for leniency. However, the cop was shocked I admitted fault and lowered my speed to 70. I know, I know you're not supposed to admit fault but I was nervous and just blurted it out. It was around a $100 fine as I recall and I went to traffic school.

My friend also got caught speeding and her fine was just under $500. She went to court without a lawyer and plead guilty. It was her first offense and the judge took off $40. That's probably not worth her time to go but since she wasn't employed at the time. $40 is $40.

Retired2013

Post by Retired2013 » Tue May 14, 2019 7:33 am

In court, if you were going just one mph over the speed limit, then you are guilty!

Yes just about everyone speeds but you were the one pulled over and given a ticket. In our area, they don't bother you unless you are doing 13 mph or more over the speed limit on highways. It's over 10 mph in residential areas. But then that also is at the specific cop's discretion.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Tue May 14, 2019 7:42 am

Many locales offer court diversion or similar for traffic violations. Here in the Chicago area, if this is a first violation or some other determination, you pay a fine and court costs, go to traffic school (most are online now) and if successful you are placed on supervision usually for 3 or 6 months. If there are no violations during this time nothing is reported to the DMV so your record and insurance stays clean.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Tue May 14, 2019 7:53 am

If you accept the ticket, what is the likely consequence? If you can attend traffic school without any points I would just let it go. Even having some points on your record is not the worst thing in the world (as long as you don't have any yet). Couldn't hurt to consult with an attorney and seek their advice. They will know as much about the judge's likely reaction as the law itself.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Tue May 14, 2019 8:13 am

This varies so much between jurisdictions... In my city when going to court, you arrive along with 50 or so other folks that all received traffic citations... You are given a plea agreement from DA, who take in account your driving record and usually reduces the violation. You then can accept the plea, speak to the DA, or plea not guilty and schedule a trial. Depending on how often you are a guest of the city you are almost always given a 0 or 1 point plea and most often to a non moving violation. The fine is the same as your ticket with a $20 court fee added on. So there is no real reason not to goto court in my town.

The town 30 miles south of me, the whole process could have been done at a drive through window. I showed up to an administrative counter handed my ticket paid the fine plus a court fee and they deferred all points / charges for 12 months then dropped them. No DA, no judge, no court room...

Find out the process in your area...

FYI when pulled over and the police officer walks up to your vehicle and asks do you know how fast you were going? You answer with a lower number then you were really going but still over the speed limit hoping for that break. Well you just admitted to speeding and his case now is that much more solid. After writing your ticket the cop usually goes back to the vehicle and writes down the conversation on the back of the ticket (note this is changing with electronic tickets and body cams). Then if the cop needs to goto court, they can reference the conversation.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:18 am

BJJ nerd wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:10 am
I was clocked going quite a bit over the speed limit; however, I got extremely lucky with the cop and he gave me a break on the documented citation speed over the limit.
My question is, should I still go the traffick lawyer route, even though I received lenience by the cop? Could this backfire with the judge reinstating the penalty associated with the actual speed over limit (stated in the citation).
Was this being clocked during a specific checking all drivers or some kind of more random ticketing by an officer doing other things?

If it was the former, then I doubt you will be successful in fighting it. Since, it seems, you were actually speeding - why spend money on an attorney - as well as the time involved?

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Tue May 14, 2019 8:26 am

If you know you were breaking the limit, lying about that in court doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
I fought a traffic ticket once (on my own - no legal help), it was for a violation other than speeding that I didn't believe was just, the judge did side with me... but only after telling me to go to traffic school and come back and see him... which I did, and I got the ticket money back but only after doing traffic school (which would have taken it off my record any way, the judge not siding against the cop in court, and me spending more time away from work than what the ticket was worth).
Also, despite some rumors you might have heard out there the issuing officer will pretty much always show up to the court date. They get paid to be there, maybe even overtime.
Last edited by JoMoney on Tue May 14, 2019 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Topic Author
BJJ nerd

Post by BJJ nerd » Tue May 14, 2019 8:26 am

Thanks all. To be clear, I don't have a problem paying the court / citation fees. Was exploring the lawyer option to minimize impact on my insurance.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:36 am

BJJ nerd wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:26 am
Thanks all. To be clear, I don't have a problem paying the court / citation fees. Was exploring the lawyer option to minimize impact on my insurance.
One speeding ticket shouldn't have an impact on your insurance.

You got a break. Be thankful, pay it and move on...slower!

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:41 am

ddurrett896 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:36 am
BJJ nerd wrote:

You got a break. Be thankful, pay it and move on...slower!
Incorrect for many. Safe driving and 5 year good behavior discounts many times go away with a ticket. Not so for a “non-moving infraction” which still enriches the courts and local community without hitting one’s car insurance.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:44 am

JoMoney wrote:
Also, despite some rumors you might have heard out there the issuing officer will pretty much always show up to the court date. They get paid to be there, maybe even overtime.
But not always.

I was once given a ticket for speeding in a "thickly settled" area. I didn't feel the area met the definition of "thickly settled" which I found specific legal definition of. Houses have to be less than a certain distance over a distance of road. I measured every single house to house distance, made a map and not a single gap met the law. I went in and when the judge asked me if I had anything to say, I told him my story and submitted my map. Not guilty for lack of prosecution. The cop didn't show up and all I actually had to say was "I wasn't speeding" and would have won.

In my state (Massachusetts), everything has become a moving violation which incurs points and huge insurance increases. An expired inspection sticker is a moving violation. And these days, our town cops have constantly running cameras that are running every license plate they pass. My wife and one other car were pulled over at night in driving rain for expired inspection stickers. Nobody looked at the stickers.....it was tied to the plate. Fortunately, she only got a warning and we had the car inspected the next day. It had been recently purchased from her dad and had a valid date sticker but every vehicle transfer requires a new inspection. Had that been a ticket instead, it would have cost about $1000 over the next 6 years.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Tue May 14, 2019 8:45 am

BJJ nerd wrote:
Like others have said, see about the driving class. In many states agreeing to take the class will eliminate the impact on insurance rates.

If it does not in your state, then I would contact a lawyer to see what they think they could do. The point of getting a lawyer is not to get off scott-free, but to reduce the impact and receive a similar result as other people that are properly represented.

In my state, if you can take the class, then the expense of a lawyer is not warranted.

Good luck,

JT

thx1138

Post by thx1138 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:49 am

It really depends on the state. Many (most?) have some sort of system to avoid any points or reporting to insurance for minor speed violations if you have a clean driving record. In some states it just means taking driving safety course (online in some states) and in others you can just ask for some form of probation in which the ticket never appears on your record if you don't get another violation in some period in the future (e.g. two years). Usually in these cases you still pay the fine but if you do whatever else is required nothing gets put on your driving record. I know CA and AZ do the traffic school thing and MD does the probation thing. Quickly googling for your state should provide answers.

pdavi21

Post by pdavi21 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:56 am

Most states let you pay about 100-200 bucks and an extra 20-100 bucks to take a class online.

Then you get no points on your license.

EDIT: might be county law and not state law, I forget.
Last edited by pdavi21 on Tue May 14, 2019 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity." -Stephen Hawking

R2D2

Post by R2D2 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:01 am

These types of threads always bring out the moralizers who want to lecture the OP while they themselves probably were speeding in the last 12 hours.

I do learn a lot from all the posts that contain good advice though re. insurance / court costs / etc.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:07 am

If you fight it, chances are you will spend a lot of time in the Courtroom waiting for your case.

Do you want to do that?

A few years ago, my wife was ticketed for not stopping at an intersection by an officer who just happened to be coming up the street behind her after she made a right turn. She was adamant that she had stopped, before turning right - but that the stop sign (and where she stopped) were probably not visible to the officer. She decided to go to court and contest the ticket. I went with her. We were there for many hours waiting for her case. Sitting there for hours was not my first choice of what to do that day, but it was interesting.

When her case was heard, the officer told his side of the story and my wife told her side. The judge sided with my wife and dismissed the case. The "key" (after seeing many such cases that day) was that this was just something the officer saw as he was driving down the street. All such cases were thrown out. If, however, folks were cited when the police were watching an intersection, none of those cases were thrown out. By watching so many similar cases when we were waiting, it helped my wife to better explain her side of the story when the case was heard.

Teague

Post by Teague » Tue May 14, 2019 9:16 am

Here are some thoughts about this from NOLO:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia ... r13-2.html
Semper Augustus

CoastalWinds

Post by CoastalWinds » Tue May 14, 2019 10:00 am

ddurrett896 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:36 am
BJJ nerd wrote:
It shouldn’t, but it absolutely does!

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Tue May 14, 2019 10:05 am

dm200 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:07 am
If you fight it, chances are you will spend a lot of time in the Courtroom waiting for your case.

Do you want to do that?
Not where I live. You go to the (Traffic Law firm's) website, enter your name, location, and what the ticket is for (50 in a 40, failure to stop, whatever). They give an all-in cost to reduce it to a parking violation, covers their fee and the ticket cost. If you like the answer, you enter the ticket number and your credit card number. Poof, all done.

If your time is more valuable to you than the cost of the legal fee, and if you want to avoid points on your license and the insurance increases that generates, it could well be worth it.

batpot

Post by batpot » Tue May 14, 2019 10:09 am

Always worth talking to a lawyer. Sometimes a few.
They'll give you a few minutes on the phone for free.

Lots depends on jurisdiction, but whatever hundreds of dollars you pay is probably worth keeping it off your driving record, and keeping your insurance rates down.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue May 14, 2019 10:48 am

batpot wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:09 am
Always worth talking to a lawyer. Sometimes a few.
They'll give you a few minutes on the phone for free.

Lots depends on jurisdiction, but whatever hundreds of dollars you pay is probably worth keeping it off your driving record, and keeping your insurance rates down.
My experience - this is extremely rare!!

If this were for an offence like drunk or impaired driving, then I would be much more likely to retain an attorney.

I don't know about speeding and in your jurisdiction, but I once got stopped and ticketed for an expired safety inspection. Since the amount that I would have to pay included "court costs" in addition to the fine, I chose to show up in court in person. I was "guilty", but my excuse was that I had recently come back from my honeymoon. To my pleasant surprise, the Commonwealth's Attorney offered/agreed to dismiss the fine amount and all I had to pay was "Court Costs".

Topic Author
BJJ nerd

Post by BJJ nerd » Tue May 14, 2019 11:04 am

Spoke to a traffic lawyer. Given the significant leniency given by the officer, the recommendation was to not pursue this further, in part because the judge can actually reverse it and reinstate the actual speed over the limit.

Thanks for all the help/feedback. :sharebeer

Tdubs

Post by Tdubs » Tue May 14, 2019 11:35 am

BJJ nerd wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:04 am
Spoke to a traffic lawyer. Given the significant leniency given by the officer, the recommendation was to not pursue this further, in part because the judge can actually reverse it and reinstate the actual speed over the limit.

Thanks for all the help/feedback. :sharebeer
This was going to be my advice. There are lots of cases where challenging makes sense, not sure this is one of them Having watched a fair number of people plead their case, judges have little mercy for people who go way over the limit. I could see a judge just sticking it to you. "You risked your own life, the life of other drivers, and the life of this fine officer." Not sure you want to hear that.

Challenging the accuracy of radar guns almost never works.

batpot

Post by batpot » Tue May 14, 2019 11:45 am

Tdubs wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:35 am
This was going to be my advice. There are lots of cases where challenging makes sense, not sure this is one of them Having watched a fair number of people plead their case, judges have little mercy for people who go way over the limit. I could see a judge just sticking it to you. "You risked your own life, the life of other drivers, and the life of this fine officer." Not sure you want to hear that.

It really depends on jurisdiction.
I was clocked going 72 in a 60. He gave me a ticket for 70.
Hired a lawyer, kept my record clean, but paid the original fine for 12 over, plus of course the lawyer fee.
All I had to do was fill out a questionnaire for the lawyer, and a few months later, the case was closed.
In this particular jurisdiction, they are really all about the money.

To me, it was worth the time savings, and the clean record, even though it cost me a few hundred.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Tue May 14, 2019 12:08 pm

R2D2 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:01 am
These types of threads always bring out the moralizers who want to lecture the OP while they themselves probably were speeding in the last 12 hours.

I do learn a lot from all the posts that contain good advice though re. insurance / court costs / etc.
Are these the same people who ask how to minimize their taxes? I imagine them writing these posts while driving :D

MDfan

Post by MDfan » Tue May 14, 2019 12:13 pm

leonidas wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:24 am
My son was speeding and we pleaded not guilty. Went to court and it got reduced to obstructed view. $54 bucks and no points. No lawyer either.

Yeah, unless it's reckless driving, I think a lawyer is a waste of money for a speeding ticket. Show up yourself as long as you have a good driving record. I just did that recently and got no points and only paid court costs. And maybe the policeman doesn't show up and it gets thrown out completely.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Tue May 14, 2019 12:15 pm

usually you go to court and if you plead guilty they will reduce it one level so if you were going 30 over the limit, they will reduce it to 20 over, so I would do that, and then if it is points take the defensive driving course to reduce your points.

You dont need a lawyer to do this. The only way I would hire a lawyer is if I was facing jail or license suspension

S4C5

Post by S4C5 » Tue May 14, 2019 1:40 pm

Waste of time and money. Just pay it if it is a simple speeding ticket.

However, you should always make sure you don't get charged with reckless driving by speed, which is something awful some states (namely VA) are doing these days. This is a serious misdemeanor crime, typically a class A (one step below a felony), and you absolutely should fight this as hard as you can.

In VA, you can get reckless for doing 80 mph in a 70 mph as anything over 80 is automatically reckless driving by speed as is anything more than 20 above posted limit. It's absolutely bonkers and honestly one of the reasons I left that horribly governed state. There are myriad people out there walking around who thought they just had an expensive speeding ticket when in fact they have a criminal record with a class A misdemeanor that can screw up their jobs, background checks, and professional licensing.

Bottom line, know what you are charged with. Traffic infraction: Pay it. Misdemeanor: Fight it.

tampaite

Post by tampaite » Tue May 14, 2019 2:20 pm

Deleting my messages on this forum
Last edited by tampaite on Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue May 14, 2019 2:22 pm

I say get a traffic lawyer. They will plead it down further or get it dismissed. It doesn't matter if you are guilty or not, the state has to prove guilt and there is nothing wrong with making them do so.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Tue May 14, 2019 2:58 pm

BJJ nerd wrote:
It's probably worth at least showing up in court yourself with no attorney present. You might get lucky. A couple of years ago, I was contesting a speeding ticket that was erroneously given to me even though the cop never clocked me, and the DA and judge readily agreed with me and dismissed it. But the DA started the session, where about 20 other 'purported offenders' were present, by saying that he was preparing for a big criminal prosecution and offered a deal to anyone that plead guilty to reduce their ticket to a non-moving violation, which is always a less costly fine and generally doesn't impact your insurance. But I agree with others that purposefully lying about your speeding is a bad idea for many reasons. Be honest, and you might be surprised at the court's leniency.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Tdubs

Post by Tdubs » Tue May 14, 2019 3:54 pm

batpot wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:45 am
Tdubs wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:35 am

It really depends on jurisdiction.
I was clocked going 72 in a 60. He gave me a ticket for 70.
Hired a lawyer, kept my record clean, but paid the original fine for 12 over, plus of course the lawyer fee.
All I had to do was fill out a questionnaire for the lawyer, and a few months later, the case was closed.
In this particular jurisdiction, they are really all about the money.

To me, it was worth the time savings, and the clean record, even though it cost me a few hundred.
72 in a 60 isn't the speed I'm talking about.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue May 14, 2019 4:50 pm

These always bring out the moralists. I think it's always worth it. No law says you need to plead guilty "if ya done it". You can check with the prosecutor about traffic school. I think many do it online these days, so a bit easier than when I did it in the 90s on a Saturday at the Community Center.

But fighting it doesn't mean going to court most of the time. You get a lawyer, he or she contacts the court, they let you plead to a non-moving for more fine. But check on school first.
Play Gloria!

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue May 14, 2019 5:01 pm

nobody123 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:16 am
You are guilty, the cop gave you a break, but you still want to fight it? Fight what, exactly?
+1

Sounds like you are guilty, so pay up.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue May 14, 2019 5:05 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:01 pm
Sound like the OP is in the USA, where you are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
Play Gloria!

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue May 14, 2019 5:37 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:05 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:01 pm
Sound like the OP is in the USA, where you are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
Earl, it’s called taking responsibility for your own actions.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Tue May 14, 2019 5:42 pm

If local law and practice allow paying a fine without pleading guilty to speeding, I see no moral problem with doing so.

If people feel better pleading guilty than paying a lawyer to change the charge, that's fine for me too, I won't judge.

Noble Knight

Post by Noble Knight » Tue May 14, 2019 5:53 pm

BJJ nerd wrote:
Go to court and at one point someone will say if you want to talk to the prosecutor stand in line on the right. When you talk to the prosecutor tell them you don’t want any points on your license, if they decline tell them you will pay a higher fee.

balbrec2

Post by balbrec2 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:52 pm

BJJ nerd wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:10 am

Forget the lawyer, go to court. Many times either the cop doesn't show up or the assistant DA will ask
you if you will plead guilty to a parking fine just to avoid a hassle for everyone. Pay your fine and
don't do it again. It'll cost you a few bucks but you'll likely not get points on your license.