U-Pack or Similar? (Household Transport Services)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
LuigiLikesPizza
Posts: 361
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:54 am

U-Pack or Similar? (Household Transport Services)

Post by LuigiLikesPizza » Mon May 13, 2019 7:56 pm

This coming summer, I plan to move my downsized household goods about 350 miles from one state to another.

I am evaluating all my options.

Has anyone used U-Pack or a service like U-Pack? This is where you pack a a large steel cube they bring to you, and then they transport the cube for you to your destination.

I have approximately 1 large room full of already packed items and a few pieces of furniture, in a storage unit waiting for the move.

All advice appreciated. Thank you.

User avatar
indexfundfan
Posts: 2446
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:21 am
Contact:

Re: U-Pack or Similar? (Household Transport Services)

Post by indexfundfan » Mon May 13, 2019 8:12 pm

I used a Upack trailer for a cross-country move. I hired local help to load and unload. Upack's website also lets you track the location of the trailer during the move. Everything works out well. I avoided the "traditional" movers after hearing a lot of horror stories with inter-state moves.

I think for your case, you are probably looking at their ReloCubes as opposed to a trailer. But they should operate the same way.
My signature has been deleted.

DrakeSRT
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:43 pm

Re: U-Pack or Similar? (Household Transport Services)

Post by DrakeSRT » Mon May 13, 2019 8:15 pm

I just used PODs for a 1600 mile move and it was a great experience. Very straightforward and very communicative.

forgeblast
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:45 am
Location: PA
Contact:

Re: U-Pack or Similar? (Household Transport Services)

Post by forgeblast » Tue May 14, 2019 8:59 am

LuigiLikesPizza wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:56 pm
This coming summer, I plan to move my downsized household goods about 350 miles from one state to another.

I am evaluating all my options.

Has anyone used U-Pack or a service like U-Pack? This is where you pack a a large steel cube they bring to you, and then they transport the cube for you to your destination.

I have approximately 1 large room full of already packed items and a few pieces of furniture, in a storage unit waiting for the move.

All advice appreciated. Thank you.
I used ABF U-Pack for a move from NC to PA. With two cars and then having to tow or pull a car it was a no brainer to go with them. You pay for the space you use. If your good at tetris you can really pack it in. They dropped off the trailer, we filled it (might want to get a dolly) and then put in a bulk head. Once that was done we drove to pa and they dropped it off after they unloaded the space we did not use and picked it up once we had it unloaded.
I would do a few things differently when packing it. I would go to harbor freight and buy a bunch of movers blankets and wrap up the tables chairs etc. We had once cheap bookcase (flakeboard) get damaged but it was not it great shape to begin with and we should have left it. Bankers boxes taped shut were easy to stack (lots of books), and the dolly helped move it all to the truck. We had it all pre packed except for a few things and it made it so much easier.

runner3081
Posts: 2128
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: U-Pack or Similar? (Household Transport Services)

Post by runner3081 » Tue May 14, 2019 10:19 am

forgeblast wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:59 am
LuigiLikesPizza wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:56 pm
This coming summer, I plan to move my downsized household goods about 350 miles from one state to another.

I am evaluating all my options.

Has anyone used U-Pack or a service like U-Pack? This is where you pack a a large steel cube they bring to you, and then they transport the cube for you to your destination.

I have approximately 1 large room full of already packed items and a few pieces of furniture, in a storage unit waiting for the move.

All advice appreciated. Thank you.
I used ABF U-Pack for a move from NC to PA. With two cars and then having to tow or pull a car it was a no brainer to go with them. You pay for the space you use. If your good at tetris you can really pack it in. They dropped off the trailer, we filled it (might want to get a dolly) and then put in a bulk head. Once that was done we drove to pa and they dropped it off after they unloaded the space we did not use and picked it up once we had it unloaded.
I would do a few things differently when packing it. I would go to harbor freight and buy a bunch of movers blankets and wrap up the tables chairs etc. We had once cheap bookcase (flakeboard) get damaged but it was not it great shape to begin with and we should have left it. Bankers boxes taped shut were easy to stack (lots of books), and the dolly helped move it all to the truck. We had it all pre packed except for a few things and it made it so much easier.
This is exactly what we did! Worked perfectly. The comment about wrapping or covering all items is important. Things were a bit dirty upon arrival.

btenny
Posts: 5030
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: U-Pack or Similar? (Household Transport Services)

Post by btenny » Tue May 14, 2019 10:35 am

My daughter and I have used Uhaul U boxes twice. Both times it worked great. She moved some furniture and some household stuff for LA to Washington state. She packed up her apartment stuff and took the box to the LA Uhaul store. Uhaul then trucked and moved the box to Seattle and stored it there for 2 months while my daughter found and rented a new apartment. She then got some friends to move the Ubox to her apartment and unloaded it. I did a move of some household furniture from Arizona to Tahoe. I loaded the box in Phoenix and Uhaul trucked it to Tahoe. I then picked up the box there and unloaded it. It worked great.

The whole process was easy and low cost.

Good Luck.

User avatar
9to5er
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:08 pm

Re: U-Pack or Similar? (Household Transport Services)

Post by 9to5er » Tue May 14, 2019 11:48 am

I've used ABF/U-Pack twice (TX to CA, and back 6 years later). As forgeblast mentioned above, if you are good at packing your stuff in there and have help that isn't in a rush, it's much less expensive than full service movers. I found the large rolls of cellophane/stretch wrap to be very useful. I also had rope that I used to secure the stuff after so many feet of stuff. If necessary, U-Pack will hold hold your stuff until you need it delivered. You pay extra if it's an extended period, but a few days is no problem as I recall. We had a full household, so we just used a full trailer (but you still have to put the "bulkhead" in which can be a bit tricky given the weight of it). Our next move should be a downsized move as your is :)

Maid of the Mist
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:50 pm

Re: U-Pack or Similar? (Household Transport Services)

Post by Maid of the Mist » Tue May 14, 2019 12:04 pm

We used UPack containers from ABF. It was great. We had movers load and unload them. One piece of advice is to err on the side of having them delivery too many containers. They can always take an extra one back and for us that would have been at no charge. Be sure to check the web for discounts or coupons. Also, get boxes, tie-downs, and blankets from Craigslist. There are a lot of “lightly used” moving items very reasonably priced and you will have helped out with recycling. Good luck!

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 4031
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: U-Pack or Similar? (Household Transport Services)

Post by lthenderson » Tue May 14, 2019 1:18 pm

Last time we moved I priced out one of those u-pack containers plus hiring people on both ends, plus the costs of boxes, packing blankets, appliance dolly, etc. the cost was almost the same as hiring a moving company that did all that plus packed my boxes and things like setting up beds on the move in part. For the difference in cost, there was no way I was going to pack up everything myself.

User avatar
Don_Qua
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:42 pm

Re: U-Pack or Similar? (Household Transport Services)

Post by Don_Qua » Tue May 14, 2019 2:23 pm

indexfundfan wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:12 pm
I used a Upack trailer for a cross-country move. I hired local help to load and unload. Upack's website also lets you track the location of the trailer during the move. Everything works out well. I avoided the "traditional" movers after hearing a lot of horror stories with inter-state moves.
This mirrors everything I was going to write, right down to the horror stories about movers and the use of local loaders/unloaders. We saved a ton of money over what traditional movers would've charged and not a thing broke. What's not to like?

Post Reply