Do you receive a letter if you credit card is about to be closed for inactivity?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
iamblessed

Do you receive a letter if you credit card is about to be closed for inactivity?

Post by iamblessed »

Does it very by bank or credit union? Feel free to name some if you remember how they do it.
sport

Re: Do you receive a letter if you credit card is about to be closed for inactivity?

Post by sport »

In my experience, sometimes you get a letter, and other times you do not.
delamer

Re: Do you receive a letter if you credit card is about to be closed for inactivity?

Post by delamer »

I got one telling me my card already had been closed.

There was no advance warning.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I just got a letter like that.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I just make sure I use each card once per year even if the purchase is just for a few dollars. No need to worry about it if I do that.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Twice.

One time I received a letter stating that the card would no longer be valid if not used by such and such date.

One time I received a letter saying the card would no longer be valid as of such and such date. It also made clear that using the card before that date would not affect the account closing.
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

My wife just got a letter 2 days ago from American Express stating that her AmEx Blue Card would be closed for inactivity and it also said that if we used it they would then not close the account.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Yep, what are you actually looking for.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

iamblessed wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:32 pm Does it very by bank or credit union? Feel free to name some if you remember how they do it.
We have about 40 open accounts per Credit Karma. Of those, about 30 accounts are "store" accounts, which we opened up to get a discount on a large purchase at a particular retailer and then never used the credit again.

About once per quarter, Credit Karma shows that one of the "store" accounts has been closed, presumably due to inactivity. I rarely get a letter from the credit card company - the only notice that I get is through Credit Karma.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
goingup

Post by goingup »

I did just get one from Citi for a rarely used card (Sears Mastercard) held since 1995. I felt a bit miffed and wondered if I should try to save that relationship. Nah. Let it go and move on!
lakpr

Post by lakpr »

iamblessed wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:32 pm Does it very by bank or credit union? Feel free to name some if you remember how they do it.
Just today. From American Express. American Express Everyday card. Not used it for last 12 months, the Membership Rewards seem to be useless for my pattern of spending.
student

Post by student »

As others have said, it depends on the bank. Chase sent me letter. All I had to do was to call in and said I want to keep the card. No issues. I will note that although didn't use this card, I was using other Chase cards.
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

Dropped American Express after I no longer needed a business card and Costco went to Visa
I still receive "updates" on my AE points
Other cards over the years have simply faded away or sent a cancellation notice
I still get statements from Morgan Stanley (formerly Smith Barney) showing a $0.02 balance in our investment account though we left them for Vanguard in 2007.
Chase cancelled Freedom and Ink after years of zero activity
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

It has been almost 3 years since I have used my oldest CC (Wells Fargo) and still going. Tempted to put some recurring charges on it to keep it alive. I do use another card with them extensively so perhaps they don't want to risk losing that business.
Outafter20

Post by Outafter20 »

Citibank closed a card I had and a card my wife had about a week apart. They must have been doing some housekeeping and noticed we hadn't used either account in over a year. The letters just stated the dates the accounts would be closed.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

jeff1949 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:05 pm My wife just got a letter 2 days ago from American Express stating that her AmEx Blue Card would be closed for inactivity and it also said that if we used it they would then not close the account.
I received an email like this recently as well and just paid my grocery bill with the AmEx Blue card instead of my usual card. I did the same thing with another seldom used card for another small purchase. I'll have to setup a reminder to use those cards once a year since I don't even keep them in my wallet.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
batpot

Post by batpot »

Had them lower the credit limit on one.
Havne't had one cancel on me yet.
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

I had a Citibank Master Card that I'd had for 30 years. It had become my back-up card but I wanted to check if it was still open before a trip to Europe so I would have two cards in case something went wrong with my primary card. I logged into the account and got "account not found". I called customer service and was told it had been closed. I had gotten no notification. There wasn't enough time to get another card and fortunately I didn't need it on the trip.

My credit score took a minor hit since it had been open so long, but life went on undisturbed.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

I don’t allow inactivity so no cards get closed.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?